Watchmen

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

SnakeEyes
Available July 21st (in the U.S. at least).

There'll be two editions, standard/theatrical and director's cut with 30 minutes of extra footage incorporated into the film/special features.

Anyone planning on picking up either of the copies?

I'll probably get the director's cut, although I'll be pissed if they release a super edition 6 months down the road.

T.M
July 27th in the UK.

I will buy it at some point. I will wait for a while though to see it there is any that has cool artwork or cases/slipcovers.

BruceSkywalker
not sure if i will buy this.. if i do it won't be right away

steverules_2
whats the difference between standard and theatrical?

MildPossession
I don't believe Britain is getting the director's cut on dvd or blu ray, just the normal cinema release time. So if you want the director's cut, going to have to import it. Last time I looked we were not getting it due to some legal stuff.

Kazenji
Maybe Alan Moore might have something to do with your version stick out tongue

SnakeEyes
Originally posted by steverules_2
whats the difference between standard and theatrical?

They're the same, I was just using two words to describe the edition.

steverules_2
Oh ok

Scythe
Here's a huge difference that the director's cut will have, Hollis Mason's death, here it is. I might save you some money, the film only has around 20 or more minutes of added footage. Not what I expected at all, but yeah... Anyhoe, here's a clip of HM's death.

http://www.beyondhollywood.com/watchmen-directors-cut-scene-hollis-masons-death/

Sadako of Girth
Great stuff. Cant wait for the directors cut.

Impediment
I'll end up buying this, but not with too much more expectations. The film was good, but nowhere near great.

Sadako of Girth
Half an hour liberally scattered could do a lot of good.

Depends how they play it of course, but the characters might feel fleshed out better this time. The plot felt rushed a bit in a lot of places. This new half hour could iron out some of those kinks.

dadudemon
I actually might considering buying this on Blu-Ray. I own veeery few films. But I think this one is a keeper.

Wolfie
I just got it a half hour ago. I opened it and found a coupon for a 5-disc Ultimate Collector's Edition inside.

It's said to include the movie, the motion comics, and Tales of the Black Freighter.

That made me think, as I now own all three of these.

2-disc movie + 2-disc motion comics + 1-disc Black Freighter = 5-disc Ultimate Collector's Edition?

That could be the reality of it. But it's also supposed to include a commentary by Dave Gibbons and Zack Snyder. And Black Freighter will be woven into the movie.

I'm personally not all for it because Watchmen is long enough. I can watch Black Freighter separately just fine.

WhoopeeDee
I wouldnt be surprise if they pull something like that....they need to make the money they lost at the box office. I'm buying my copy at the con.

MildPossession
It cost them $130 million to make, they made $182 million around the world.

dadudemon
Originally posted by MildPossession
It cost them $130 million to make, they made $182 million around the world.

Exactly. I was confused by his statement.

Röland
Is the Blu-ray the only option for the Director's Cut or will there be a DVD version as well?

Robtard
Originally posted by Sadako of Girth
Great stuff. Cant wait for the directors cut.

Want a copy?

Sadako of Girth
That'd be great!

Devil Gene
told my library to send it to a branch close to me so I can pick it up. First to see that copy. big grin

Sadako of Girth
Hitler's reaction to the changes from the novel:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIhHema5PNg

Robtard

Hahahahahaa, I love the Untergang parodies.

I'm reading the graphic now, about half way through; so far, the movie is fairly true to the story.

Darth Martin
Just watched it for the first time since first seeing it in the cinema. Incredible! I even had trouble pointing out the additional footage, that's how great it was.

Think I'll make due with the 2-disc and skip out on the Collector's Edition.

Sadako of Girth
Originally posted by Robtard
Hahahahahaa, I love the Untergang parodies.

I'm reading the graphic now, about half way through; so far, the movie is fairly true to the story.

Indeed. Very few differences displayed.
Later on though it gets a little more different.

Devil Gene
Gonna watch it soon...I bet it's better than Dark Knight. Think DC said something like that along the way

Darth Martin
As of right now I prefer it over The Dark Knight.

Impediment
Originally posted by Wolfie
I just got it a half hour ago. I opened it and found a coupon for a 5-disc Ultimate Collector's Edition inside.

It's said to include the movie, the motion comics, and Tales of the Black Freighter.

That made me think, as I now own all three of these.

2-disc movie + 2-disc motion comics + 1-disc Black Freighter = 5-disc Ultimate Collector's Edition?

That could be the reality of it. But it's also supposed to include a commentary by Dave Gibbons and Zack Snyder. And Black Freighter will be woven into the movie.

I'm personally not all for it because Watchmen is long enough. I can watch Black Freighter separately just fine.

That is similar to what happened to me when I bought the dvd of LOTR: TFOTR. There was a coupon inside for the dvd of the extended director's cut.

Personally, I'll wait for the ultimate set. It's be nice to just buy one big set and never feel the need to re-buy again.

Rogue Jedi
I bought it, never saw it in the theater. What a piece of shit.

Scythe

Hahaha.

Robtard
Indeed. Very few differences displayed.
Later on though it gets a little more different.

Finished it last night; I can see why Hitler was so distraught.

Still, I think the movie version of the story was good and probably more sensible for that format.

Robtard
Originally posted by Rogue Jedi

Why so?

Rogue Jedi
Why so? Think about the scene where Manhattan is 100 feet tall and disintegrating VC. Beer came outta my nose.

Robtard
Think about the scene where Manhattan is 100 feet tall and disintegrating VC. Beer came outta my nose.

That was one little scene. Anything else?

Arguably, this movie was more about the characters and plot than just an action-scene-after-action-scene kind of movie, which is unfortunately common these days.

Impediment
The movie was good. Not great, but good. Arguably, it is the best Alan Moore adaptation to date. Still, that's not saying much.

Röland
You should be killed for this statement.

Darth Martin
I thought the film was great. Best film of 2009 so far for me.

Rogue Jedi
That was one little scene. Anything else?

Arguably, this movie was more about the characters and plot than just an action-scene-after-action-scene kind of movie, which is unfortunately common these days. That scene.

Scene where Comedian has a flamethrower and is torching VC.
Manhattan in general.
The costumes.
The sad attempt at a Sin City look.
Ozy looked like a ***.

Robtard
Ozymandias is supposed to be a ***; he's a *** that will **** your shit up too.

SnakeEyes
That scene.

Manhattan in general.
The costumes.
Ozy looked like a ***.

Your complaints are lame as ****.

Robtard
Watching it again now, Watchmen has a great soundtrack.

Rogue Jedi
No doubt.

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by SnakeEyes
Your complaints are lame as ****. Hey, I know what I like.

Röland
Hey, I know what I like.
That's your opinion and I'm not asking you to like the movie but when you're problems with the movie are as stupid as these;

That scene.

Manhattan in general.
The costumes.
Ozy looked like a ***.

I don't think you should be saying it's a shit movie. Don't like it, that's cool with me, but don't say a movie is shit just because you don't like the costumes, a character that's meant to have hints at being gay and a few choice scenes.

coolmovies
uncut version comming out at xmas

5 disk set

Sadako of Girth
Holy Weak objections, Batman!

Yeah RJ what was the problem with the Manhattan vs VC scene..?

Robtard
Yeah RJ what was the problem with the Manhattan vs VC scene..?

Manhattan wasn't naked in that scene, RJ was hoping on seeing an eight-foot cock.

Sadako of Girth
Ahhh. That'd explain it.

(I initially thought that it was cause Manhattan was an allegory for an uncaring God which upsets some folks....but the RJ's need for giant blue schlong seems the likelier reason, now you mention it.....)

Rogue Jedi

Röland
I dont like the movie.
We've established that. I was just commenting on your shit reasons.

Alkaselzer
Yeah, if those are your reasons, then don't expect anyone to find weight in them... except stylistically, you didn't like how they portrayed everything. As for Ozymandias, I think he actually looked less like a pansy wearing the costume he did in the film than that purple skirted thing.

Rogue Jedi

Robtard
I just found the characters a bit corny.

But you like the characters in Queen of the damned, Van Helsing and Harry Potter? I should slap you.

Rogue Jedi
Different strokes, dude.

Röland
I just found the characters a bit corny.
That's all cool man, like I said, this movie isn't for everyone.

I'm just a uber nerd about movies and really dislike when people slam movies for, in my opinion, lame and cheap reasons. That's all, not an attack towards you.

Scythe
Anyhoe, this massive 5-disc set, does anyone know what the price range on it will be??

Röland
Originally posted by Scythe
Anyhoe, this massive 5-disc set, does anyone know what the price range on it will be??
Well you get a $10 off coupon when you buy the current version so I imagine it will be around at least $30.

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by Scythe

i will wait to buy it at walmart for $ 10.00

Rogue Jedi

Rogue Jedi
Gonna watch this again right now, give it another chance.

Sadako of Girth
RJ, Try the directors cut. It makes more sense.

Robtard
Gonna watch this again right now, give it another chance.

This time try and focus on the story more and less on Manhattan's blue swinging junk.

Scythe

Sadako of Girth
Coming to cartoon network soon...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDDHHrt6l4w

shifty

Röland

shifty
Cannot unhear the awful singing.

Rogue Jedi
Watched it again, bit of alcohol in me this time. I still thought Manhattan was silly, but I appreciated the rest a bit more.

Rogue Jedi
A question. Silly one, really.

When Rorschach was captured by the police, why didn't he use his grappling gun and hit the rooftops? I mean wasn't there like a window right there in that apartment?

dadudemon
A question. Silly one, really.

When Rorschach was captured by the police, why didn't he use his grappling gun and hit the rooftops? I mean wasn't there like a window right there in that apartment?
Bullets, n'stuff. He didn't want to be killed.

Rogue Jedi
The cops were on the ground, holmes.

Sadako of Girth
With guns trained all over the windows.

Yes he would have been quite expectant that as per the cops warning on the bullhorn, that the windows were gonna be well covered.
And that hook launcher makes quite a noise going off, it would have been impossible to make it from building to building without getting swiss cheesed. Also reusing the grapple muiitple times might have been neccessary to get away across enough rooftops to give 'em the slip, which may have been for the reasons above, or some time/awkwardness issue with reloads..

On top this, the cops wanted him real bad by then anyway and new how dangerous he was, coulda been plenty of swat guys on the roof of the neighbouring buildings, anyway.

Hope this helps.

Sadako of Girth
Watched it again, bit of alcohol in me this time. I still thought Manhattan was silly, but I appreciated the rest a bit more.

Silly?

Rogue Jedi
Toldja it was a silly question haermm

Yeah, Manhattan is silly. Uber powerful, badass, but silly as hell, IMO.

dadudemon
The Prequel Trilogy is better than the Original Trilogy.

The Watchmen was an awesome movie.

I hold these truths to be self evident.

Sadako of Girth
Toldja it was a silly question haermm

Yeah, Manhattan is silly. Uber powerful, badass, but silly as hell, IMO.

We knew. smile

I Blame the character he was an allegory for..
But please expand on why you though him to be silly..?

Sadako of Girth
Originally posted by dadudemon
The Prequel Trilogy is better than the Original Trilogy.

The Watchmen was an awesome movie.

I hold these truths to be self evident.

1) Seek help. You sick....sick.....sick puppy.

2) Yeah I agree with part 2.

dadudemon
1) Seek help. You sick....sick.....sick puppy.

Arf arf!

awesome

Rogue Jedi
We knew. smile

I Blame the character he was an allegory for..
But please expand on why you though him to be silly..? Well I hate Billy Crudup, that didn't help matters. The main thing was him being able to change his size.

Kazenji
The main thing was him being able to change his size.

Such as ?

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by Kazenji
Such as ? Him......you know.......changing his size. The scene where he is vaping VC in particular.

Sadako of Girth
Well I hate Billy Crudup, that didn't help matters. The main thing was him being able to change his size.

Well Russell Crowe annoys me, but I still enjoy Gladiator as a superb historicish action flick.

The man had full control over his matter/dimensions why not...?
The guy was a physical metophor for god, I bet you wouldnt think it silly if your god could change size.

Sadako of Girth
Him......you know.......changing his size. The scene where he is vaping VC in particular.

So if god came into Iraq right now and slaughtered all those pesky "insurgents" as a 100ft blue guy, effectively ending the war in a week, you'd be the first to step up there and tell him that he looked like a schmuck?

If anything though, I do think that it was an excellent parody of stupidity of the thought of an army marching into war with any kind of god literally on their side.

Rogue Jedi
Yeah, no comment on the God thing. God wouldn't intervene in a man made war, you know better than that.

dadudemon
So if god came into Iraq right now and slaughtered all those pesky "insurgents" as a 100ft blue guy, effectively ending the war in a week, you'd be the first to step up there and tell him that he looked like a schmuck?

If anything though, I do think that it was an excellent parody of stupidity of the thought of an army marching into war with any kind of god literally on their side.

On top of that, he would know who the insurgents were and who they weren't.

Rogue Jedi
Not to mention that God loves everyone, even the most evil of sinners.

Robtard

Except for the fools he drowned to death in that Great Flood.. The sodomites he burned to cinder in Sodom and Gomorrah. Lot's wife. Cain.

Sadako of Girth

Evidence of this...?

Looks here like he views the military as a valid institution.
http://www.teamtruth.com/articles/art_militarychristians.htm

Sadako of Girth
Except for the fools he drowned to death in that Great Flood.. The sodomites he burned to cinder in Sodom and Gomorrah. Lot's wife. Cain.

And wasnt that loving practical joke he played on Abraham cute..?
Did he love that Baby who was partially eaten by his derranged mother?

Tough love eh..?

Rogue Jedi
Not gonna have a religious debate here, dude. Drop it.

Robtard
And wasnt that loving practical joke he played on Abraham cute..?
Did he love that Baby who was partially eaten by his derranged mother?

Tough love eh..?

That was God's comical side.

Well, that would be more of God letting us have free-will, in that case, the mother's free-will to eat and kill her baby.

Indeed, tough.

Those I mentioned above were deaths/punishment by God's direct handiwork, err, "love."

Sadako of Girth
Not gonna have a religious debate here, dude. Drop it.

"Drop it..?"

Am I burglar confronted by a gun wielding security guard in the dead of night or something...?

If you dont like the points legitimately raised about Manhattan and why his involvement in earth history was why it was, then, I think this might not be the thread for you.

Rogue Jedi
This thread is about the Watchmen DVD, not about why God did what he did, not about whether God exists, am I right?

Sadako of Girth
Its about why the Manhattan thing was written, since you called it silly, I thought you'd appreciate knowing where they were coming from.

The point is heightened further when Manhattan doesnt stop the Comedian from shooting the Pregnant girl.... Listen to what the Comedian says to Manhattan.
Also the military are on TV telling of Manhattan as 'God being american'.

You brought it up.

Scythe
*Facepalm*

Its about why the Manhattan thing was written, since you called it silly, I thought you'd appreciate knowing where they were coming from.

The point is heightened further when Manhattan doesnt stop the Comedian from shooting the Pregnant girl.... Listen to what the Comedian says to Manhattan.
Also the military are on TV telling of Manhattan as 'God being american'.

You brought it up.

Yeah, pretty much.

Darth Martin

shifty That's old news.

When Rorschach was captured by the police, why didn't he use his grappling gun and hit the rooftops? He was on the police' Top 10 most wanted list. They'd have shot at him without hesitation if he tried to escape.

Yeah, Manhattan is silly. Uber powerful, badass, but silly as hell, IMO. Speak for yourself. erm

IMO the film peaked at the moment Manhattans ex-girlfriend encountered him and when he exiled himself to Mars with his origin story starting coupled with Pruit Igues and Prophecies.

ToyChop
I haven't watched the full extended Watchmen yet, but I did catch one scene, the moment where the thugs decide to go beat up Nite-Owl (that segment was awful...cornball dialogue and asstastic acting), but the rest--where Nite Owl fights 'em--was well done. Cool fight, and the flashbacks were the best...you wanna cheer Nite Owl, but you know how things are gonna go. Sad stuff, but good stuff.

Darth Martin
I disagree, the Hollis Mason death scene was one of the most touching moments in the film.

ToyChop
Originally posted by Darth Martin
I disagree, the Hollis Mason death scene was one of the most touching moments in the film.

I agree.

What I didn't like was the scene leading up to it, with the thugs talking about "Nite Owl lives right up the street, let's go get 'im!" That was the part that I thought fell flat, the rest of the scene was great.

SnakeEyes
Originally posted by ToyChop
I agree.

What I didn't like was the scene leading up to it, with the thugs talking about "Nite Owl lives right up the street, let's go get 'im!" That was the part that I thought fell flat, the rest of the scene was great.

Agreed.

Sadako of Girth
Originally posted by Darth Martin
That's old news.

...because you have proof that all six billion of us on earth have all, to a man, seen it...?

dadudemon
...because you have proof that all six billion of us on earth have all, to a man, seen it...?

Old news doesn't mean everyone on Earth has seen it.

It simply means that it's been around for quite a while.

For the internet, a funny vid being around for 6 months is old.

Darth Martin

Originally posted by dadudemon
It simply means that it's been around for quite a while. For the internet, a funny vid being around for 6 months is old.

Thank you. smile

K.Diddy
This movie kicks ass

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.