Moon

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

=Tired Hiker=
This looks promising. Directed by Duncan Jones, also known as Zowie Bowie, David Bowie's son, 'Moon' is about a guy who works alone on the moon as a miner. Seems he begins to go insane or something. Check out the trailer, it's pretty cool.

http://www.sonypictures.com/classics/moon/trailer.html

SnakeEyes
Been wanting to see this for some time now, but it's not playing anywhere near me, just like half of every year's quality movies.

MildPossession
I would be more excited about it but I can't stand the actor in it.

SnakeEyes
Ah yes, I remember you saying you didn't like Sam Rockwell in another thread. And I think, in that thread, I responded with something like: "how dare you not like Sam Rockwell?!"

And I feel like I should reiterate that sentiment: how dare you not like him?!

The Nuul
Looks interesting....

=Tired Hiker=
I don't remember him in anything.

SnakeEyes
Sam Rockwell? The Green Mile, Confessions of a Dangerous Mind, Matchstick Men, The Assassination of Jesse James, Snow Angels, Choke.

=Tired Hiker=
I think the only movie I saw of all of those was The Green Mile, and I don't remember who he was in it.

SnakeEyes
It's been a LONG time since I've seen it, but I think he was the crazy, evil inmate.

=Tired Hiker=
Josh Bell, a local movie critic in Vegas who is usually a tight ass when it comes to rating movies, gave Moon 4 out of 5 bells. He rarely, RARELY gives five bells, so this is a very good rating by him. He said the plot really unfolds well, the twists are throughout the film, not just one big twist at the end that is meant to make you drop your jaw, which usually those types of movies tend to fail. It's playing at two theaters here in Vegas, so I hope to catch it maybe this weekend.

MildPossession
Snakeeyes - I don't like him, I don't like him, I don't like him, I don't like him. stick out tongue

The Nuul
Originally posted by MildPossession
Snakeeyes - I like him, I like him, I like him, I like him. drool

Yes, we all know you like Sam.

Oomny
Originally posted by =Tired Hiker=
This looks promising. Directed by Duncan Jones, also known as Zowie Bowie, David Bowie's son, 'Moon' is about a guy who works alone on the moon as a miner. Seems he begins to go insane or something. Check out the trailer, it's pretty cool.

http://www.sonypictures.com/classics/moon/trailer.html

Looks pretty freakin good

and I actually heard it was very good. Has been getting very good reviews lately.

Röland
I really wanted to see this but it wasn't released anywhere near me. sad

SnakeEyes
Saw this last night. It was very good. Sam Rockwell was excellent; probably his best performance yet. The score, by Clint Mansell (one of my favorites) was great, all in all it was an impressive debut from director Duncan Jones. Like a lot of critics have been saying, in a summer where we've got big, dumb action flicks like Transformers 2, it's refreshing to see a smart sci-fi movie.

I'd rate it an 8.5/10. Second favorite movie I've seen this year.

jinXed by JaNx
I've been wanting to see this for a while now but the Arts theater around here was only showing it for two nights. I didn't get the chance to go see it sad I guess im going to have to wait for DvD. It's balls that all of the megaplexes around here will not show this. Although, i did get to see the original Ghostbusters on the big screen again...,go figure.

Robtard
Originally posted by Steak Knife
I think the only movie I saw of all of those was The Green Mile, and I don't remember who he was in it.

He was the murderous ******* who killed the little girls, and fingered Percy.

Movie looks promising, it's not opening anywhere near me though, sucks.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Robtard
He was the murderous ******* who killed the little girls, and fingered Percy.

Movie looks promising, it's not opening anywhere near me though, sucks.

Where are you finding these "openings" listings?

Robtard
Originally posted by dadudemon
Where are you finding these "openings" listings?

Yahoo movies. Not showing close to me.

roughrider
Originally posted by SnakeEyes
Sam Rockwell? The Green Mile, Confessions of a Dangerous Mind, Matchstick Men, The Assassination of Jesse James, Snow Angels, Choke.

And - as Zaphod Beeblebrox, the two-headed President Of The Galaxy in 'The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.'

Just came home from seeing the film; very well done for it's small budget. Deserves some comparisons to 2001, Silent Running, Alien, Outland and WALL-E.

MildPossession
Still yet to see the film, but the music score by Clint Mansell is amazing, the 'theme' especially. One of the best scores I've heard in a long time.

SnakeEyes
Yep, totally agreed. Best thing he's done since The Fountain.

The Nuul
Great movie but kinda boring.

Kaworori

full_movies_43
I watched the trailor and the site looks good.

jinXed by JaNx
Just saw this the other day and i was bored through out most of the movie. I couldn't wait for it to end.

Bicnarok
Excellent movie, brilliant idea.

movieshe
Looks interesting.

SnakeEyes
Comes out Jan. 12th on dvd in the States, I'll be picking it up.

Curse you who say it's boring! I'm not sure exactly what you expected with pretty much one actor in the entire film.

MildPossession
I've got my DVD, so will be watching soon, can't wait.

The Nuul
I've got my DVD, so will be watching soon, can't wait.

Wait...I thought you cant stand Sam?

MildPossession
Not that bad now with my feelings towards the actor. stick out tongue

The Nuul

stick out tongue

SnakeEyes

Finally someone knocked some sense into you.

The Nuul
Finally someone knocked some sense into you.

It was me.....

SnakeEyes
Good man!

jinXed by JaNx
Comes out Jan. 12th on dvd in the States, I'll be picking it up.

Curse you who say it's boring! I'm not sure exactly what you expected with pretty much one actor in the entire film.

lol, I enjoyed the performance a great deal but i thought the dialogue left much to be desired. I also liked the plot but i thought it was executed poorly. I think the movie lacked mystery. The only thing that kept me watching was, Rockwells performance. I don't think im ruining anything here but there is a part in the film where Rockwell meets himself and the two of them begin a relationship. The writing barely hints at anymore than one possible explanation for this and that hurt the movie for me...,a great deal.

BackFire
This movie was amazing. Brilliant and haunting and Sam Rockwell gives the best performance of the year.

dadudemon
Originally posted by jinXed by JaNx
lol, I enjoyed the performance a great deal but i thought the dialogue left much to be desired. I also liked the plot but i thought it was executed poorly. I think the movie lacked mystery. The only thing that kept me watching was, Rockwells performance. I don't think im ruining anything here but there is a part in the film where Rockwell meets himself and the two of them begin a relationship. The writing barely hints at anymore than one possible explanation for this and that hurt the movie for me...,a great deal.

Yeah, that pretty much sums up my thoughts on the film.

Before the idea of "clone" was even introduced, I thought, "clone." In fact, I asked my coworker if the whole time, the other dude is a clone (cause I read the synopsis off of the DVD cover or something.)

My coworker gave it very high marks saying it was the best film of the year. Doesn't even come close, to me. Pretty much better "everything" in District 9.

It's been a while since I watched the film, but I do remember there being a ton of errors in the film: plot and prop.

Edit - I remember one of the major fact/plot errors: there was no lag-time between the Earth and the Moon on the communications. That's a very stupid stupid stupid stupid stuipd error.

SnakeEyes
How are District 9 and Moon all that comparable; apples and oranges my friend.

Anyway, I like Moon better if we're comparing them. And try using spoiler tags for the sake of other people dude! Moon wasn't about a plot twist, considering they "revealed" it like halfway through the movie, that's one reason I liked it. It didn't rely on a twist, like say, The Sixth Sense does.

dadudemon
How are District 9 and Moon all that comparable; apples and oranges my friend.

1. meaning, it (Moon) is not the best movie of the year. erm And, quite literally, there's better everything in District 9.

2. It's not even close to being "apples and oranges". They are both Sci Fi.

Anyway, I like Moon better if we're comparing them. And try using spoiler tags for the sake of other people dude! Moon wasn't about a plot twist, considering they "revealed" it like halfway through the movie, that's one reason I liked it. It didn't rely on a twist, like say, The Sixth Sense does.

Why do I need to use spoiler tags for a film that's been out on DVD for quite some time now? Also, there's hardly any traffic in this thread, as is.

SnakeEyes
I just didn't want it to be spoiled for other people, that's all. And it came out on dvd last week...

As far as that comparison, I know they're both sci-fi, but they've very different films. They don't aim to accomplish the same things, etc.

Moon had a better score and better acting, there's two things right there that are better in my opinion. Not saying Sharlto Copley was bad in District 9, he was quite good, but Rockwell was better. And the score for District 9 was forgettable. Mansell's Moon score is amazing.

And personally, Moon was more emotionally resonant.

Love both movies though.

BackFire
The acting in Moon was beyond anything seen in District 9. As was the thoughtfulness.

dadudemon
I just didn't want it to be spoiled for other people, that's all. And it came out on dvd last week...

Really? I thought it had been out since like October. My bad, homie.

As far as that comparison, I know they're both sci-fi, but they've very different films. They don't aim to accomplish the same things, etc.

While I agree, they are both Sci Fi.

Moon had a better score and better acting, there's two things right there that are better in my opinion. Not saying Sharlto Copley was bad in District 9, he was quite good, but Rockwell was better. And the score for District 9 was forgettable. Mansell's Moon score is amazing.

And personally, Moon was more emotionally resonant.

Love both movies though.

I don't remember the score from either film standing out. And, I liked Copley's acting better. It seemed more "real" to me. A good movie has to make me forget that it's a bunch of actors doing their lines. I didn't think that at all in District 9, but thought it several times in Moon. Wait, I take that back: in District 9, the second time Wikus talks to his wife AFTER she was told the lies by her father, I remember thinking on one of the lines, "that could have been done better."

MildPossession
Both good scores, District 9 was hardly forgettable in the music department, wonderful score.

The Nuul
Moon has better acting and score. District 9 is way more entertaining which I like better and it also has a good score and acting. Moon was boring at times.

SnakeEyes
Really? I thought it had been out since like October. My bad, homie.

While I agree, they are both Sci Fi.

I don't remember the score from either film standing out. And, I liked Copley's acting better. It seemed more "real" to me. A good movie has to make me forget that it's a bunch of actors doing their lines. I didn't think that at all in District 9, but thought it several times in Moon. Wait, I take that back: in District 9, the second time Wikus talks to his wife AFTER she was told the lies by her father, I remember thinking on one of the lines, "that could have been done better."

It sounds to me like you simply enjoyed District 9 a lot more, which is totally cool, but I just disagree with you when you say stuff like "Everything in District 9 was better than everything in Moon." That's a little ridiculous imo.

Both good scores, District 9 was hardly forgettable in the music department, wonderful score.

Well, I certainly forgot it. Whereas with Moon, I had the score going through my head on the drive home, where I downloaded it immediately. A while later I actually downloaded District 9's score because I had no recollection of how it sounded and once I started listening I kind of remembered why I'd.... not remembered it. It was fitting for the movie and it wasn't BAD, but not at all memorable. It didn't transcend the film like Mansell's score.

Originally posted by The Nuul
Moon has better acting and score. District 9 is way more entertaining which I like better and it also has a good score and acting. Moon was boring at times.

Yeah, I think a lot of people felt this way.

dadudemon
It sounds to me like you simply enjoyed District 9 a lot more, which is totally cool, but I just disagree with you when you say stuff like "Everything in District 9 was better than everything in Moon." That's a little ridiculous imo.

That's a tad odd coming from the same person that just got done telling me this is all opinion; but, if you prefer it, I'll be very specific for you:

Color: D9
Lighting: D9
CGI Animation/Visual Effects: D9
Sound: D9
Music: neither stood out

Story: D9
Acting: D9
Character development: D9
Character Interaction: D9
Character realism: D9
Emotional Impact of the film: D9

Setting: D9
Inovation: D9
Fictional Tech in the movie: D9
Unique Flora and Fauna (usually applies to Sci Fi): D9 (nothing unique in Moon)
Wow Factor: D9
Camera Angles/Use: D9
Re-watchability: D9

Well, I certainly forgot it. Whereas with Moon, I had the score going through my head on the drive home, where I downloaded it immediately. A while later I actually downloaded District 9's score because I had no recollection of how it sounded and once I started listening I kind of remembered why I'd.... not remembered it. It was fitting for the movie and it wasn't BAD, but not at all memorable. It didn't transcend the film like Mansell's score.

Neither score stuck out to me.

Alpha Centauri
Moon contained essentially one actor carrying a film on his own, and he still turned in a better, more captivating performance than any other actor or actress in 2009, and a lot of other years.

District 9 is good, but massively overrated. That and whilst I don't require Shakespearean script, it's a little cheap to just say "****" at every other interval.

-AC

MildPossession
It was fOOk, not *uc*. It's seen as a far milder form over there apparently. I know what you mean though, even though it wasn't *uc*, it was still quite grating, used a lot.

BackFire
That's a tad odd coming from the same person that just got done telling me this is all opinion; but, if you prefer it, I'll be very specific for you:

Very strongly disagree with almost every single one of those, outside of CGI/visual stuff.

SnakeEyes

Yep; ridiculous.

Alpha Centauri
Forgetting all the other stuff, how does D9 beat Moon in innovation?

I can't say I've ever seen many movies do the whole one man cast thing. The innovation in Moon was that, to push the idea of loneliness, they literally made him more or less the only person in the movie.

How many have EVER done that?

-AC

Bardock42

Are those all equal, or is there one that is more important in your opinion than another?

Myth
Finally saw Moon. Really loved it. I thought from the previews it would be more psychological based than sci-fi, but still very interesting with great acting.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
Forgetting all the other stuff, how does D9 beat Moon in innovation?

I can't say I've ever seen many movies do the whole one man cast thing. The innovation in Moon was that, to push the idea of loneliness, they literally made him more or less the only person in the movie.

How many have EVER done that?

-AC

There's nothing new in moon.

Whereas D9 goes the opposite of "alien sympathy" in sci-fi. It's not sympathy from a human to an alien: it's forced sympathy because a human turns into an alien. Rather weird, actually.

And, there's lots of movies that have one man with the vast majority of the screen time...and probably even ones with just one man/woman.

Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
Moon contained essentially one actor carrying a film on his own, and he still turned in a better, more captivating performance than any other actor or actress in 2009, and a lot of other years.

District 9 is good, but massively overrated. That and whilst I don't require Shakespearean script, it's a little cheap to just say "****" at every other interval.

-AC

I missed this.

I thought D9 was massively underrated. Not nearly as many people saw this as should have. I think it's scores should be about a point higher about everywhere. I want more films that are new and refreshing like D9. Not this recycled attempt at being unique in Sci-Fi drama. For anyone that wants to watch moon, don't waste your time: watch Solaris instead. (not the same, bla bla, waa waaa.)

Bardock42
Which Solaris?

MildPossession
I'm hoping the original.

Alpha Centauri
That, or watch Moon.

Dadudemon liked Epic Movie. If you wanna listen to the guy, go for it.

-AC

Tired-Hiker
I finally saw Moon a few weeks ago and forgot to come here to post my thoughts on it. So here's my thoughts: Really good film. Really good.

Blinky
I'm hoping the original.

Hey, the remake wasn't all that bad...

dadudemon
Originally posted by Tired-Hiker
I finally saw Moon a few weeks ago and forgot to come here to post my thoughts on it. So here's my thoughts: Really good film. Really good.

Aha! Now I see why you keep bugging me about this in other threads.

Patient_Leech
This was SUCH a good movie. I've been meaning to watch it again. Need to pick up a copy for myself. Such a shining example of how great Sci-Fi can be.

Manofwords
Loved it. Rockwell's performance was superb. Loved that ending too...

NeoGills
some thing interesting in it! i decided to watch this movie soon.

Patient_Leech
I read through more of this thread. And i must agree that comparing Moon to District 9 is completely silly. They're both solid films in their own right. I'm not really sure what you CAN compare Moon to. I mean, it has obvious 2001 connections, but it has a sociopolitical and global significance that is rare in Sci-fi. And so did District 9, i suppose, but they're still vastly different films and to try to establish which one is "better" is inane.

harry1233
looks really interesting

xtinataguba
looks interesting! gonna watch this.

Esau Cairn
Originally posted by Patient_Leech
I read through more of this thread. And i must agree that comparing Moon to District 9 is completely silly.

A better comparison would be to Bruce Dern in Silent Running ('72).
There's always something more intriguing about a "lone character" story line when it's set in space.

coloradobase
I saw that on last night. It was very good and also very interesting about Sam Rockwell. It was excellent and probably his best performance ever.

dentrafting
Moon is totally based on that a guy who works lonely on the moon as a miner. Seems he begins to go insane or something.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.