Would Transformers Been Better as an Animated Film?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

jcvaldez
Ok, so I have already given my opinion of the Transformers movies (first one was ok, the second SUCKED!)
But I was thinking about the old cartoon and I recently watched the animated movie. And for me, nothing is better than the cartoon and animated movie. I feel that the concept worked better as animation rather than as a live action movie. So my question....

Would Transformers have been better served as an animated film rather than the live action?

Sure we would not see Megan Fox on screen, but she would have been casted in some other Michael Bay crappy movie. I feel that the concept of giant robots would have been more accepted as animation. The story too could have been improved to take advantage of the animation medium. The design would have been cooler and the action much more exciting. I know what some of you maybe thinking, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles did do well as an animated movie. Just so you know the reviews for the original live action version is not better than the animated version.

What do you guys think?

Q'Anilia
To answer the title: Not really.

Nothing happened in the movie that could've been done better had it been animated.

Sadako of Girth
I agree. The mainly 'script' and 'plot' and 'character' issues I have with Bay's movies would unfortunately still translate across to an animated version.......and the one thing it had going for it was it's 'live action' appeal ...

lord xyz
Both films are horrible, and I haven't actually seen the second one, but I don't feel like wasting money to see it and confirm it sucks.

I'm not a transformers fan at all, then again, these films aren't really for the fans anyway. They're just a marketing ploy aimed at young children who aren't mature enough to understand what a good film is.

Animating them would get rid of the whole cool SFX gimmick, and make it even worse.

It's a shitty hollywood film just like any other, copying the same format as Small Soldiers, with Transformers thrown in for money.

I can't stand how people love or even like these films.

darthmaul1
If Bay directed it there would still be problems, 60% of the stuff he does is crap, look what he did to Pearl Harbor! Turned it into a love triangle hunk of sh1t, that just couldn't end with the americans getting their asses kicked, they had to show the doolittle run. GAG.
If you want a good pearl harbor movie watch TORA TORA TORA!

dadudemon
Originally posted by darthmaul1
If you want a good pearl harbor movie watch TORA TORA TORA!

You mean, if you want to be bored to death, watch Tora X3. smile

BruceSkywalker
no and no and no

but since Michael Bay will direct the animated movie as well.. Then yes an animated Transformers movie will be good

Q'Anilia
I don't know what all this talk about Bay sucking is about. He has been part of a good amount of fine movies. He did well with this one as well.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Q'Anilia
I don't know what all this talk about Bay sucking is about. He has been part of a good amount of fine movies. He did well with this one as well.

You are correct. Good films as in...films that do well and make money.

darthmaul1
Originally posted by dadudemon
You are correct. Good films as in...films that do well and make money.

Just because a movie makes alot of money doesn't make it good. It's the hype and anticipation of the film coming out that drives a lot of the films. So everyone and their dog went to see Transformers 2, myself included, and why did a lot of people see it? because they really enjoyed the first one and hoped this one would be the same, and for some fans it delivered and others it didn't, but the fact remains that EVERYONE before they know anything about it will go see it and that is where the money comes from.

Bay is hit and miss, yes he can blow shit up and have good action but sometimes he doesn't do a good job to draw you into the movie.

Bad boys : good
the rock : good

armaggedon: BAD
Pearl Harbor: BAD
Bad Boys 2: BAD

The Island: Good
Transformers: Good

Revenge of the Fallen: BAD

IMO starwars

Q'Anilia
Just because a movie makes alot of money doesn't make it good. It's the hype and anticipation of the film coming out that drives a lot of the films. So everyone and their dog went to see Transformers 2, myself included, and why did a lot of people see it? because they really enjoyed the first one and hoped this one would be the same, and for some fans it delivered and others it didn't, but the fact remains that EVERYONE before they know anything about it will go see it and that is where the money comes from.

Bay is hit and miss, yes he can blow shit up and have good action but sometimes he doesn't do a good job to draw you into the movie.

IMO starwars

In my OPINION, all the movies you listed are good. I also liked Friday the 13th and I'm looking forward to Elm Street.

Sadako of Girth

IMO starwars

I concur.

dadudemon
Just because a movie makes alot of money doesn't make it good.

Do you not detect an contradiction there....at all? Even a little one?

It's the hype and anticipation of the film coming out that drives a lot of the films.

You'd think that being #1 the second weekend out would certainly dispell that fallcious belief of yours...

So everyone and their dog went to see Transformers 2, myself included, and why did a lot of people see it? because they really enjoyed the first one and hoped this one would be the same, and for some fans it delivered and others it didn't, but the fact remains that EVERYONE before they know anything about it will go see it and that is where the money comes from.

1. You misspelled "dawg". smile

2. Again, it was still number 1 after its second weekend. That blows your little theory out of the water. It remained number 1 despite Ice Age 3 and Public Enemies.

3. You cannot claim "everyone". That would be factually incorrect. In fact, I'd like to think that people knew at least something about the movie before seeing and many of them probably read those crappy reviews it got and STILL saw it. Including you, young man. smile

IMO starwars

Yup. All of those were good or great films. It appears you have poor taste. smile

Originally posted by Sadako of Girth
I concur.

No you don't. You gave Revenge of the Fallen a 6 out of 10. That's better than average. A 4 is a light bad. smile

=Tired Hiker=
Originally posted by jcvaldez
Sure we would not see Megan Fox on screen, but . . .

Just, stop right there.

jcvaldez
Originally posted by =Tired Hiker=
Just, stop right there.

read the rest!

jcvaldez
Do you not detect an contradiction there....at all? Even a little one

The amount of money a movie makes is not the measurement of a good movie. Transformers 2 made a lot of money because of the hype and how well the first one did. Wolverine made a lot of money too, and that was a horrible movie.

XanatosForever
Originally posted by lord xyz
Both films are horrible, and I haven't actually seen the second one, but I don't feel like wasting money to see it and confirm it sucks.

I'm not a transformers fan at all, then again, these films aren't really for the fans anyway. They're just a marketing ploy aimed at young children who aren't mature enough to understand what a good film is.

Animating them would get rid of the whole cool SFX gimmick, and make it even worse.

It's a shitty hollywood film just like any other, copying the same format as Small Soldiers, with Transformers thrown in for money.

I can't stand how people love or even like these films.

...Okay, if you're not a fan of this franchise, you have no right whatsoever to make a claim that the films aren't made for the fans. I am a Transformers fan, as is my cousin (he's probably an even bigger one than I am), and we both agree that both movies hold more than enough tributes for fandom to recognize and respect. Hell, I'd rather watch the movies back to back every day of my life than watch the new animated crap they're calling Transformers (Note: This particular statement is my opinion. To those who like Transformers Animated...well, I feel sorry for you stick out tongue) nowadays.

As for your last statement...if you can't stand it, then wtf are you doing here? erm

dadudemon
The amount of money a movie makes is not the measurement of a good movie. Transformers 2 made a lot of money because of the hype and how well the first one did. Wolverine made a lot of money too, and that was a horrible movie.

Did you read the the rest of my post where I debunked that myth that it was hype and advertising?

Another movie was similar: The Dark Knight. Of course, it did even better than Transformers 2 did, it's second weekend. But that's because it was a better movie....even WITH hype and a dead star.

Originally posted by XanatosForever
...Okay, if you're not a fan of this franchise, you have no right whatsoever to make a claim that the films aren't made for the fans. I am a Transformers fan, as is my cousin (he's probably an even bigger one than I am), and we both agree that both movies hold more than enough tributes for fandom to recognize and respect. Hell, I'd rather watch the movies back to back every day of my life than watch the new animated crap they're calling Transformers (Note: This particular statement is my opinion. To those who like Transformers Animated...well, I feel sorry for you stick out tongue) nowadays.

As for your last statement...if you can't stand it, then wtf are you doing here? erm

He's a grumpy, idiotic, Winjin Pom. Go easy on him.

BruceSkywalker

you seem to forget something.. you say its because of hype that Transformers Revenge of the Fallen has made $ 637 worldwide and will most likely make another $ 100 mil or so.. it is not.. Hype only takes film so far.. where is THIS hype after a film has been out two or three months and still is making money, case in point Titanic.. whether that was a good or bad film people saw that each and every day

roughrider
ROTF has got the establishment wondering about how big the disconnect can be between critics and audiences - no matter how shrilly negative most of them are, audiences are enthusiastic and telling friends to see it. It's on a pace nearing $1 billion worldwide (but it's not beating The Dark Knight.) But audiences also packed theatres for acclaimed films like Star Trek & Up, and turned their noses up at poorly reviewed films like Terminator Salvation.
So, where's the pattern...?
...Ultimately, there isn't one. It's the old William Goldman line about Hollywood: Nobody Knows Anything. Meaning, nobody REALLY knows what will work for audiences. It's ALWAYS a gamble, big or small.

But back to the point - Transformers has already been animated, 2D & 3D. Pointless to do it that way again, when FX tech has finally made it possible to do it in live action. Even as a kid enjoying the cartoon, I fantasized about how Transformers in live action could look; twenty years later I got my wish, and I'm enjoying the ride both films have given me.

Sadako of Girth

Yup. All of those were good or great films. It appears you have poor taste. smile

No you don't. You gave Revenge of the Fallen a 6 out of 10. That's better than average. A 4 is a light bad. smile

Hahahahaaaaa Better to have poor taste, than no taste at all.

*Pauses and narrows his eyes at DDM for a few seconds*

stick out tongue

*and continues*

Nope I still concurr. I regard it as his finest work (Excluding the Rock) I just think the rest is big, shiny, dumb garbage that entertains us on the first sitting with its big shinyness, before the incredibly dumb and irritating nature outscreams the shinyness and bigness on repeated watchings.

Good films wont do that very often at all. They stay rewatchable.

Great films dont do it at all.

darthmaul1
Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
you seem to forget something.. you say its because of hype that Transformers Revenge of the Fallen has made $ 637 worldwide and will most likely make another $ 100 mil or so.. it is not.. Hype only takes film so far.. where is THIS hype after a film has been out two or three months and still is making money, case in point Titanic.. whether that was a good or bad film people saw that each and every day

For the most part if people are a fan of the franchise they will go see the movie regardless of what they have seen or heard. Just because a movie is number one 2nd week in a row doesn't mean anything, there must be millions of fans of transformers, and guaranteed if they liked the first film they will go see the second one.

I disagree that people went to see Dark Knight because of a dead star.
People went for a couple reasons, cause of the hype of it being the 2nd movie (just like ROTF). Because they are fans of Batman / Bale / Ledger. Just because a movie is an actors final performance doesn't mean people will flock to it unless they are fans of that actor or like the movie he is in.

Titanic was ok i just didn't like the fact that the ship sank at the end laughing, but seriously once was enough and the reason that movie did so well was a couple of reasons it appealed to a wider range of audiences, and that every 12-17 year old girl probably went to see it 10 times because of Leo and the love crap puke story.

Sadako of Girth
For the most part if people are a fan of the franchise they will go see the movie regardless of what they have seen or heard. Just because a movie is number one 2nd week in a row doesn't mean anything, there must be millions of fans of transformers, and guaranteed if they liked the first film they will go see the second one.

People went for a couple reasons, cause of the hype of it being the 2nd movie (just like ROTF). Because they are fans of Batman / Bale / Ledger. Just because a movie is an actors final performance doesn't mean people will flock to it unless they are fans of that actor or like the movie he is in.

Titanic was ok i just didn't like the fact that the ship sank at the end laughing, but seriously once was enough and the reason that movie did so well was a couple of reasons it appealed to a wider range of audiences, and that every 12-17 year old girl probably went to see it 10 times because of Leo and the love crap puke story.

Totally agreed with that, dude.

Doctor-Alvis
For Dark Knight, I thought they were fluffing up Ledger's performance because he's dead but when I actually saw it he was pretty damn good.

BruceSkywalker

I agree with you.. thats my point about Transformers Revenge of the Fallen

dadudemon
Hahahahaaaaa Better to have poor taste, than no taste at all.

*Pauses and narrows his eyes at DDM for a few seconds*

stick out tongue

*and continues*

Why are you looking at my crotch! mad mad mad

Edit - Wait. What's this I'm reading about no taste? I have a sign of donuts and an avatar of a brownie fudge sundae! I obviously have GREAT taste. harumph!

Sadako of Girth
Yes they are good....but judging by your cited film taste identifiers, you also might like the caca flavoured one made from vomit crust dough. stick out tongue

Taste is at times discriminating. Its not defined by what we like only, but by our standards and what we WONT accept.

And something so shallow, lame, intellectually insulting, childish (in a way where the original cartoon now looks like griity scifi by comparison, thanks tothe immaturity of the writing), off-its-own-topic and gauche as a Bay movie is, its on the bad taste list, Im afraid.

dadudemon
Yes they are good....but judging by your cited film taste identifiers, you also might like the caca flavoured one made from vomit crust dough. stick out tongue

Taste is at times discriminating. Its not defined by what we like only, but by our standards and what we WONT accept.

And something so shallow, lame, intellectually insulting, childish (in a way where the original cartoon now looks like griity scifi by comparison, thanks tothe immaturity of the writing), off-its-own-topic and gauche as a Bay movie is, its on the bad taste list, Im afraid.

But, this is all relative to the eye of the beholder. Just because you say it, doesn't mean it's true. While mine was a joke, you're actually serious.

I find it tasteless to be so critical of a movie that wasn't intended to be a complex and intelligent murder mystery plot. That misses the point and borders on spite for spite's sake. Quite tasteless, in my opinion.

However, the plot in the film was good, was better than at least 70% of the films out there (better than Star Trek's, that's for sure), acting was above average, and the effects were second to none. So thinking the movie was a good movie, which is a great rating, is far from tasteless.

SnakeEyes
Just curious, what are some of your favorite flicks DDM?

Sadako of Girth
But, this is all relative to the eye of the beholder. Just because you say it, doesn't mean it's true. While mine was a joke, you're actually serious.

I find it tasteless to be so critical of a movie that wasn't intended to be a complex and intelligent murder mystery plot. That misses the point and borders on spite for spite's sake. Quite tasteless, in my opinion.

However, the plot in the film was good, was better than at least 70% of the films out there (better than Star Trek's, that's for sure), acting was above average, and the effects were second to none. So thinking the movie was a good movie, which is a great rating, is far from tasteless.

You say I am.
Yet I'd use the term "As serious as you cou;d be about the subject".
And everything YOU speculate at is true...? It IS a good film...etc roll eyes (sarcastic)

Do you...? So would I. But I fail to see the relevance.
It certainly doesnt apply to me.
I also find it abhorantly tasteless that people mis-pidgeonhole and over reductionise so readily, gimping the true nature of the opposing debator's viewpoint in a cheap attempt to sway any reading poster..
You know.....a little b*tch manuevre. stick out tongue

Its plot was mundane/quite formulaic.

So if it was superior then geee all the other plots must be seriously screeeerewwwed.

dadudemon
Originally posted by SnakeEyes
Just curious, what are some of your favorite flicks DDM?

Just some of my favs, and in no particular order.

Ang Lee's Hulk.

Spiderman 1 and 2

Matrix Trilogy.
The Fountain. (Yes, I really liked this film. If it searches that far back, I can be found raving about it on these forums.)
Funny Games
Krull (As a boy, I liked it a lot...so it is an honorable mention.)
Transformers 1 and 2.
Knowing
First Hostel
Saw (Original. Had the best story.)
All six star wars films.
Star Trek Generations, First Contact, Insurrection
Billy Madison
Happy Gilmore and a few other Adam Sandler films.
Ace Ventura Pet detective
Paparazzi.

If you want a list of films that I gave 5 stars on netflix, here they are:

Akira (1988)

Batman Begins (2005) Top 100

Berserk (6-Disc Series) (1997)

Billy Madison (1995)

The Bourne Identity (2002)

The Bourne Supremacy (2004)

The Count of Monte Cristo (2002)

Dark City (1998)

The Dark Knight (2008)

Evangelion (1995) (Animated anime series)

Equilibrium (2002)

Gattaca (1997)

Gladiator: Extended Edition (2000)

The Godfather (1972)

Happy Gilmore (1996)

Hot Rod (2007)

Hulk (2003)

The Incredibles (2004)

Inside Man (2006) Top 100

Iron Man (2008) Top 100

The Island (2005)

Les Miserables (1998)

The Matrix (1999)

The Matrix: Reloaded (2003)

The Matrix: Revolutions (2003)

Minority Report (2002)

Mission: Impossible (1996)

The Notebook (2004) Top 100

Paparazzi (2004)

The Princess Bride (1987)

Silent Hill (2006)

Spider-Man (2002)

Star Wars: A New Hope (1977)

Star Wars: Clone Warssad2004) (animated series. Loved them)

Star Wars: Episode I: The Phantom Menace (1999)

Star Wars: Episode II (2002)

Star Wars: Episode III (2005)

Star Wars: Episode IV: A New Hope (1977)

Star Wars: Episode V: Empire Strikes Back (1980)

Star Wars: Episode VI: Return of the Jedi (1983)

Transformers (2007) Top 100

Trigun (8-Disc Series) (1999) (Awesome awesome awesome Anime.)

Ultraviolet (2006)

Underworld (2003)

Van Helsing: The London Assignment (2004)

WALL-E (2008)

Willow (1988)

Zoolander (2001)

There area few anomalies in there, but they are sentimental such as the movie my wife and I saw on our first date, etc. Those movies are only rated high because of that. I think there's only 3 or 4 of those in there but they would have received 4 stars anyway.

My netflix ratings are missing several films, which why I made the manual list above, for you. As you can tell, my "tastes" are probably not too far off from yours with the exception of a few films.

darthmaul1

It's all a matter of opinion and preferences, but transformers 2 plot better than Star Trek? Don't think so IMO.
I'm sure a lot of people find it tasteless when others love a movie just because of special effects and explosions. They also find it tasteless when people jump on the band wagon, just because the first movie was good so this one must be too even though it wasn't.
There are examples of this all the time....
Alien and Aliens great next 2 not good.
Pirates of the Caribbean great, next 2 not good.
First Contact great, next 2 not good.
Casino royal great, QOS not good.
Jurrasic Park good, next 2 not good.

Did you not like the latest incredible hulk movie??

movies that i would remove from your list cause IMO they sucked
Hulk(2003)
Ultraviolet (2006)
Star Trek Generations, Insurrection
Minority Report (2002)

dadudemon
You say I am.
Yet I'd use the term "As serious as you cou;d be about the subject".

K.

And everything YOU speculate at is true...? It IS a good film...etc roll eyes (sarcastic)

Absolutely not. Which is why you find my post with such things as..

"relative to the eye of the beholder"

"I find it"

"in my opinion."

"thinking the movie was a good"

As you can tell, my post is riddled with hints at personnal perspective and not the arrogant idea that my opinion is all.

Its plot was mundane/quite formulaic.

I didn't know for sure if Optimus would be revived. I didn't know for sure if Sam would live. I didn't know for sure if The Fallen would succeed.

I didn't know for sure who would say "I love you" first.

I didn't know for sure how most of the plot would play out. I knew, for sure, that Micaela would walk in on Sam...that was obvious.

However, I knew for sure Sonny would eventually get himself killed. I knew for sure that Michael would become the new Don when he planned to kill the Captain and Sollozzo. The funny thing is, I knew nothing of the Godfather before watching it, other than it was a Sicilian gangster movie that was supposed to be good.

Yet, I knew lots and lots about Transformers before watching it.

So if it was superior then geee all the other plots must be seriously screeeerewwwed.

I find a movie good if I cannot guess the outcome. In almost all movies, I guess major plot points well before they become obvious. My wife tells me to STFU (in much nicer words) because I guess the plot points in films so quickly. Recently, she watched a film, told me the premise, and I guessed the remaining 1 and 30 minutes of plot, almost perfectly. (It was a chick flick called The Women.) I could tell she was a little pissed because I made a movie that she liked, seem so simple. Not being able to guess a plot for a film is a big plus for me.

Now, to be honest, I thought Sam would be the first to say "I love you", in the first half. But I didn't know what would happen there during the second half.

Sadako of Girth
Just some of my favs, and in no particular order.

Ang Lee's Hulk.

Spiderman 1 and 2

Matrix Trilogy.
The Fountain. (Yes, I really liked this film. If it searches that far back, I can be found raving about it on these forums.)
Funny Games
Krull (As a boy, I liked it a lot...so it is an honorable mention.)
Transformers 1 and 2.
Knowing
First Hostel
Saw (Original. Had the best story.)
All six star wars films.
Star Trek Generations, First Contact, Insurrection
Billy Madison
Happy Gilmore and a few other Adam Sandler films.
Ace Ventura Pet detective
Paparazzi.

If you want a list of films that I gave 5 stars on netflix, here they are:

Akira (1988)

Batman Begins (2005) Top 100

Berserk (6-Disc Series) (1997)

Billy Madison (1995)

The Bourne Identity (2002)

The Bourne Supremacy (2004)

The Count of Monte Cristo (2002)

Dark City (1998)

The Dark Knight (2008)

Evangelion (1995) (Animated anime series)

Equilibrium (2002)

Gattaca (1997)

Gladiator: Extended Edition (2000)

The Godfather (1972)

Happy Gilmore (1996)

Hot Rod (2007)

Hulk (2003)

The Incredibles (2004)

Inside Man (2006) Top 100

Iron Man (2008) Top 100

The Island (2005)

Les Miserables (1998)

The Matrix (1999)

The Matrix: Reloaded (2003)

The Matrix: Revolutions (2003)

Minority Report (2002)

Mission: Impossible (1996)

The Notebook (2004) Top 100

Paparazzi (2004)

The Princess Bride (1987)

Silent Hill (2006)

Spider-Man (2002)

Star Wars: A New Hope (1977)

Star Wars: Clone Warssad2004) (animated series. Loved them)

Star Wars: Episode I: The Phantom Menace (1999)

Star Wars: Episode II (2002)

Star Wars: Episode III (2005)

Star Wars: Episode IV: A New Hope (1977)

Star Wars: Episode V: Empire Strikes Back (1980)

Star Wars: Episode VI: Return of the Jedi (1983)

Transformers (2007) Top 100

Trigun (8-Disc Series) (1999) (Awesome awesome awesome Anime.)

Ultraviolet (2006)

Underworld (2003)

Van Helsing: The London Assignment (2004)

WALL-E (2008)

Willow (1988)

Zoolander (2001)

There area few anomalies in there, but they are sentimental such as the movie my wife and I saw on our first date, etc. Those movies are only rated high because of that. I think there's only 3 or 4 of those in there but they would have received 4 stars anyway.

My netflix ratings are missing several films, which why I made the manual list above, for you. As you can tell, my "tastes" are probably not too far off from yours with the exception of a few films.

Actually we are further apart than either of us imagined by the looks of it.

You listed all six starwars twice.. And on the second time said a new hope twice within that list...? WTF. laughing out loud

No Godfather II...?

The Godfather trilogy, Eraserhead, Robocop, The Thing, Alien, Aliens, Alien3 (directors cuts, all) ST II: The Wrath of Khan, SW, The Big Lebowski, Fargo, No country for old men, Terminator 1 nad 2, Superman I and II (Christopher Reeves versions), Falling Down, Magnolia, Pleasantville, Die Hards 1-4.0, The Lethal Weapon 1 and 2, Predator, Blade Runner, Indiana Jones Trilogy (not KOTFSCS), Back to the the future, First Blood, Batman: The movie (60s, 80s, 00s,) and Batman Returns and TDK, Gremlins, Gladiator, The Warriors, Apocalypse now (redux version), Blue Thunder, The Black Hole, Anchorman, Duel, Jaws, Blue Velvet, Nightmare on elm street 1-3, Somewhere in time, The Philidelphia Experiment, Taxi Driver, Raging Bull, Saving Private Ryan, Iron man, Forrest Gump, Monty Python's 'The Life of Brian', '..and the Holy Grail', The original 'Poseidon adventure'. Dune. Christine. It. Clerks. LOTR. Flash Gordon. The last Hulk they did. Hannibal Brooks. Silence of the Lambs, Manhunter, Trancers, The Stand, Salem's Lot, The Twilight Zone movie, Airplane the movie, Airplane 2: The sequel, (The first) Highlander,
The happiness of the Katikuras, a Tale of two sisters, The Shawshank redemption, Big trouble in little china, Ichi the killer, Fight Club, Akira, Visitor Q, Ringu, Juon: the Curse, Juon: The Grudge, The US Grudge 1, The Silver Streak, The Rock, The (1st) Matrix, Westworld, Dirty Harry, Donnie Darko, Frequency, The Butterfly effect, Schindlers list, The Shining and the Shawshank redemption.

Thats covers most of my favorite watches of all time, I'm sure there are a few missing.

I had to discriminate from hundreds of others that I liked, liked enthusiastically etc.

There another asian classic which is bugging the shit out of me title wise, but it was the ultimate revenge thriller in which a guy is imprisoned for like 10 years in a room, for reasons he doesnt know, but when he is released that is when his pain begins.I cant give its most indentifiable attribute, plot feature wise, cause its the biggest most epic twist I'd seen since Sixth Sense suffice it to say that it was the most hideous sickening revenge that you could take on a man, what was involved, guvnnahhhhhhh.

I'll remember it in time, im sure..

dadudemon
It's all a matter of opinion and preferences, but transformers 2 plot better than Star Trek? Don't think so IMO.

You should read all of the plot errors with Star Trek. I made several of those points and then some, in the Star Trek subforum. It is much worse, as far as PIS goes, than Transformers. I'm not talking about "He was holding the phaser in his right hand, it cuts to Spock, then it cuts back to Kirk and he is now holding it in his left hand." Not something like that. All films have that stupidity in them because each camera angle has a history of several takes....sometimes MANY takes.

I'm sure a lot of people find it tasteless when others love a movie just because of special effects and explosions.

Glad that's not my reason, then. big grin

They also find it tasteless when people jump on the band wagon, just because the first movie was good so this one must be too even though it wasn't.

There's no bandwagon, here, bro. It was almost universal among the critics that the movie sucked. Yet, the actual audience loved it and kept coming back for more.

There are examples of this all the time....
Alien and Aliens great next 2 not good.
Pirates of the Caribbean great, next 2 not good.
First Contact great, next 2 not good.
Casino royal great, QOS not good.
Jurrasic Park good, next 2 not good.

I thought Quantum of Solace was better than Casino Royale. Casino Royale was actually boring for most of the film.

Nemesis wasn't that good. It actually pissed me off. There was no reason to kill data off.

All of the films of Pirates of the Caribbean were so-so. Everyone raved about it, but I could never figure out why.

I, seriously, haven't seen any of the other alien movies. I've only seen the first one.

I enjoyed all Jurassic park films. I thought the 3rd was better than the first.

Did you not like the latest incredible hulk movie??

I did. I liked it a lot. But, it wasn't as good as Hulk. That's why it didn't earn five out of five stars.

movies that i would remove from your list cause IMO they sucked
Hulk(2003)
Ultraviolet (2006)
Star Trek Generations, Insurrection
Minority Report (2002)

You wouldn't remove The Island or The Notebook or Funny Games?

Scythe
I don't think an animated film would have the same buzz-talk as a live-action film since it's bringing transformers into a level of realism. An animated would fall under the radar just like Batman: Mask of the Phantasm did so many years ago, I think at least. However, an animated film with visuals like the episode "Call to the Primitives" would be so sweet. Think that's what it was called, all the bots had an extra sci-fi look with ultra Japanese pointy antennas haha.

Doctor-Alvis
We're tryin' to discuss Transformers here, not what movies you two nerds like!

darthmaul1
You should read all of the plot errors with Star Trek. I made several of those points and then some, in the Star Trek subforum. It is much worse, as far as PIS goes, than Transformers. I'm not talking about "He was holding the phaser in his right hand, it cuts to Spock, then it cuts back to Kirk and he is now holding it in his left hand." Not something like that. All films have that stupidity in them because each camera angle has a history of several takes....sometimes MANY takes.

I thought Quantum of Solace was better than Casino Royale. Casino Royale was actually boring for most of the film.
Nemesis wasn't that good. It actually pissed me off. There was no reason to kill data off.
All of the films of Pirates of the Caribbean were so-so. Everyone raved about it, but I could never figure out why.
I, seriously, haven't seen any of the other alien movies. I've only seen the first one.
I enjoyed all Jurassic park films. I thought the 3rd was better than the first.
I did. I liked it a lot. But, it wasn't as good as Hulk. That's why it didn't earn five out of five stars.

You wouldn't remove The Island or The Notebook or Funny Games?

I will have to check out the subforum with Star Trek.
I guess with all the movies again it comes down to matter of opinion.
I thought the latest incredible hulk was 10 times better than HULK, Nick Nolte makes my skin crawl.
You haven't seen ALIENS?????? OMG you don't know what you are missing, just be sure to get the directors cut, it is way better iwth added footage that ads to the suspense.
I actually really enjoyed The Island, but never saw the other 2.

dadudemon
Actually we are further apart than either of us imagined by the looks of it.

You listed all six starwars twice.. And on the second time said a new hope twice within that list...? WTF. laughing out loud

No Godfather II...?

It earned a four out of five stars. And, wow, that's a shame. I could have sworn we had about a 60% overlap in movie tastes.

The Godfather trilogy,
Eraserhead,
Robocop,
The Thing,
Alien,
Aliens,
Alien3 (directors cuts, all)
ST II: The Wrath of Khan,
SW,
The Big Lebowski,
Fargo,
No country for old men,
Terminator 1 nad 2,
Superman I and II (Christopher Reeves versions),
Falling Down,
Magnolia,
Pleasantville,
Die Hards 1-4.0,
The Lethal Weapon 1 and 2,
Predator,
Blade Runner,
Indiana Jones Trilogy (not KOTFSCS),
Back to the the future,
First Blood,
Batman: The movie (60s, 80s, 00s,) and
Batman Returns and
TDK,
Gremlins,
Gladiator,
The Warriors,
Apocalypse now (redux version),
Blue Thunder,
The Black Hole,
Anchorman,
Duel,
Jaws,
Blue Velvet,
Nightmare on elm street 1-3,
Somewhere in time,
The Philidelphia Experiment,
Taxi Driver,
Raging Bull,
Saving Private Ryan,
Iron man,
Forrest Gump,
Monty Python's 'The Life of Brian', '..and the
Holy Grail',
The original 'Poseidon adventure'.
Dune.
Christine.
It.
Clerks.
LOTR.
Flash Gordon.
The last Hulk they did.
Hannibal Brooks.
Silence of the Lambs,
Manhunter,
Trancers,
The Stand,
Salem's Lot,
The Twilight Zone movie,
Airplane the movie,
Airplane 2: The sequel,
(The first) Highlander,
The happiness of the Katikuras,
a Tale of two sisters,
The Shawshank redemption,
Big trouble in little china,
Ichi the killer,
Fight Club,
Akira,
Visitor Q,
Ringu,
Juon: the Curse, Juon:
The Grudge,
The US Grudge 1,
The Silver Streak,
The Rock,
The (1st) Matrix,
Westworld,
Dirty Harry,
Donnie Darko,
Frequency,
The Butterfly effect,
Schindlers list,
The Shining and the Shawshank redemption.

Thats covers most of my favorite watches of all time, I'm sure there are a few missing.

I had to discriminate from hundreds of others that I liked, liked enthusiastically etc.

I formatted it to make it easier to read.

My netflix thingie is only of movies that I have come across and rated. There are plenty of missing films from my list and some of them show up in your list.

Here are films, from your list, that I would add to my list:

Mos def Donnie Darko . One of my favs as a young teen.
DEFINITELY Silence of the Lambs. I also really liked Red Dragon. Like, a lot. One of my top 20 films, at least.

No Country for Old Men would have gotten 5 stars had they not decided to abruptly end the film. It was wonderful up to the point where Llewlyn was killed. It was well on its way to being one of my top 20 films...and then...bam...lazy script writing.

The Butterfly Effect was also one of my top films...but it wasn't quite a five star rating. More like a 4.5.

I haven't seen The Big Lewbowski but RObtard and RJ tell me that it's awesome and I'm retarded for not having seen it.

There another asian classic which is bugging the shit out of me title wise, but it was the ultimate revenge thriller in which a guy is imprisoned for like 10 years in a room, for reasons he doesnt know, but when he is released that is when his pain begins.I cant give its most indentifiable attribute, plot feature wise, cause its the biggest most epic twist I'd seen since Sixth Sense suffice it to say that it was the most hideous sickening revenge that you could take on a man, what was involved, guvnnahhhhhhh.

I'll remember it in time, im sure..

You see, that sounds great, though. Looking at my list, one could conclude that I love revenge flicks. (Which I do. A well done revenge flick, like paparazzi, is awesome.)

I will have to check out the subforum with Star Trek.
I guess with all the movies again it comes down to matter of opinion.
I thought the latest incredible hulk was 10 times better than HULK, Nick Nolte makes my skin crawl.
You haven't seen ALIENS?????? OMG you don't know what you are missing, just be sure to get the directors cut, it is way better iwth added footage that ads to the suspense.
I actually really enjoyed The Island, but never saw the other 2.

I liked both of them, quite a bit. The 2003 one was better.

I have seen Aliens. Not the other films, though.

And, Ridley Scott said that the extended version was not his vision and the theatrical release was his true vision of Aliens.

darthmaul1

And, Ridley Scott said that the extended version was not his vision and the theatrical release was his true vision of Aliens.

I was talking about the extended edition of ALIENS, not ALIEN, but that is ok. I just saw the extened edition of ALIEN a week ago and the scenes they added in i had seen on the deleted scenes, but they weren't anything spectacular and where they added ripley seeing dallas stuck on the wall was dumb. He didn't have an alien inside of him so theoretically she could of taken him with her.
Any way back to Transformers animated, they could make an R rated version like some japanmation, i just mean with violence not nudity.

dadudemon
I was talking about the extended edition of ALIENS, not ALIEN, but that is ok. I just saw the extened edition of ALIEN a week ago and the scenes they added in i had seen on the deleted scenes, but they weren't anything spectacular and where they added ripley seeing dallas stuck on the wall was dumb. He didn't have an alien inside of him so theoretically she could of taken him with her.
Any way back to Transformers animated, they could make an R rated version like some japanmation, i just mean with violence not nudity.
Dude, go easy on my, I'm an Aliens newb. I've only seen the first....which is called "Alien".

Scythe
The neat thing about TF's is that they're robots, so they can easily make a PG-13 rated film with as much obscene violence possible. No need to add foul language and adult situations to get an R rating.

Sadako of Girth
"No country" btw:

It wasnt lazy writing.

It was just true to the book which was never from Llywellyn's POV anyhow..

It was all Tommy Lee Jone's character's story.

He died the same in the book.

darthmaul1
Dude, go easy on my, I'm an Aliens newb. I've only seen the first....which is called "Alien".

Sorry newb, but you said I have seen Aliens. Not the other films, though.
but i guess you meant ALIEN. that's ok, you have to watch ALIENS the directors cut, the 2nd one is way better than the first.

dadudemon
"No country" btw:

It wasnt lazy writing.

It was just true to the book which was never from Llywellyn's POV anyhow..

It was all Tommy Lee Jone's character's story.

He died the same in the book.

You do know that we've had this same exact conversation before, don't you?

And, it was. no expression

The_usher
At present there are no better animated films then Transformers.

Sadako of Girth
The 1986 version....? Sure.

It definitely pisses all on Bays stuff from a massive height.

The 1st 30 mins alone are better than both Bay works put together.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.