Tyrant ("depowered") vs Growing Gauntlet

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

leonidas
what can i say, i like the format. big grin

so, here's the roster. starts off against 1, and all the others are waiting to get a chance at him as soon as the others are in trouble. tyrant as shown in the thanos battle. how many does it take to out him down? CAN they put him down?

1. he-man
2. exodus
3. magneto
4. apocalypse
5. vulcan
6. loki
7. thor (classic)
8. hulk (onslaught-level po'd)
9. firelord
10. zoom
11. quasar
12. superman
13. sinestro
14. orion
15. despero

tyrant easily beat down a solid group of heroes including ss, jack of hearts, terrax, gladiator and morg. can THIS group take him down??

Kris Blaze
I'm pretty sure Tyrant was assisted by his army of super-robots in the fight with SS, BRB, Gladiator +++ if that's the one you're referring to. People seem to blow that out of proportion and making it seem like he took on a certified team of his own, when it was actually just 4 herald-ish characters versus him and an army of soldiers that were apparently capable of giving Morg a fight. When you take in the fact that they all faced him one at a time....

Just had to throw that out there.

He stops around 9-13. Tyrant would stop earlier if you had properly arranged the list.

Galan007
if tyrant engaged he-man h2h like he did with thanos, that would be.... quite an interesting little mele to watch, to say the least.

Survivor19
Power of Grayscull wins this.

id369

Kris Blaze
Did you just lump Loki in with the other losers there?

lmfao.

leonidas
Originally posted by Kris Blaze
I'm pretty sure Tyrant was assisted by his army of super-robots in the fight with SS, BRB, Gladiator +++ if that's the one you're referring to. People seem to blow that out of proportion and making it seem like he took on a certified team of his own, when it was actually just 4 herald-ish characters versus him and an army of soldiers that were apparently capable of giving Morg a fight. When you take in the fact that they all faced him one at a time....

He stops around 9-13. Tyrant would stop earlier if you had properly arranged the list.

they weren't really meant to be arranged power-wise, just sort of pile-on style. and tyrant DID beat them down pretty much on his own iirc.

i agree goob, just h2h that might be interesting. but this is tyrant using his full powers-as shown in that cosmic powers (not ss) arc.

id369
Did you just lump Loki in with the other losers there?

lmfao.

Yup.

But it makes no real difference.

Kris Blaze
Originally posted by leonidas
they weren't really meant to be arranged power-wise, just sort of pile-on style. and tyrant DID beat them down pretty much on his own iirc.

i agree goob, just h2h that might be interesting. but this is tyrant using his full powers-as shown in that cosmic powers (not ss) arc.

Complete with energy blasts and little more? cool That's more a commentary on like, comic cosmic in general. It's just an energy blast against a more powerful energy blast.

Regardless, it's difficult to say how Tyrant would do against Loki or how he would fare against Magic.

Galan007
i agree goob, just h2h that might be interesting. but this is tyrant using his full powers-as shown in that cosmic powers (not ss) arc. sad

KuRuPT Thanosi

So, show me where exactly these robots were engaging SS, Glads, Brb etc etc while tyrant was fighting them? So, your saying they were attacking them from the sides while tyrant was fighting them? Nope didn't happen. He beat all their asses with relative ease. Some of them did have to fight some robots to get to Tyrant but once they met it was Tyrant alone vs. all. So, I'm really unclear on what your point was. Not to mention the fact that he scared Thanos of because Thanos said he would've died. Thanos doesn't say that unless he means it and clearly Tyrant was above him enough for him to realize he had no chance. Lastly, you also forgot Galactus and putting a whopping on a well fed galactus. Most of this gauntlet is fodder and gets one shotted. They won't be helping anybody KO'd or dead. The ones not one shotted get dealt with shortly there after.

KuRuPT Thanosi

leonidas
Originally posted by Galan007
sad

aw, man . . . sorry galan. soon as i see he-man, i think goob! i still luv ya man . . . embarrasment

illadelph12
I'd say 11. By that point there's some high end energy manipulation on the field and enough bricks to engage Tyrant physically to give them an opening for them to work. Plus the Q-bands to drain Tryant.

leonidas
yeah, quasar would be a nice help, no doubt.

KuRuPT Thanosi
Your forgetting most of this "supposed" help on the way to 11 would have already been put down or one shotted. Quasar doing anything to Tyrant... come now.

Enyalus
Assuming Classic Thor doesn't get one shotted like Classic BRB did, I say Tyrant stops once Zoom enters into the match. 1-10.

Knowsbleed33
You silly bastards and your gauntlets.

KuRuPT Thanosi
Originally posted by Enyalus
Assuming Classic Thor doesn't get one shotted like Classic BRB did, I say Tyrant stops once Zoom enters into the match. 1-10.

How is this big buddy... Most of 1 - 10 gets one shotted. So, how is that going to be tough? They don't all attack him at once... Once somebody is in trouble somebody else comes in. However, getting one shotted as mnay would on this list means he's not fighting all at once not even close. Imo clears it

Enyalus
Originally posted by KuRuPT Thanosi
How is this big buddy... Most of 1 - 10 gets one shotted. So, how is that going to be tough? They don't all attack him at once... Once somebody is in trouble somebody else comes in. However, getting one shotted as mnay would on this list means he's not fighting all at once not even close. Imo clears it
Alright. I didn't really take the one-shot factor into account.

He-Man wouldn't be one-shotted. Exodus would. Magneto's shields would hold. Apoc wouldn't. Vulcan would. Loki...possibly. Thor, possibly. Hulk would. Firelord would.

So, he might be taking on He-Man, Magneto, Apoc, and we'll say Thor at the same time, before Zoom gets added into the equation. I still say that's enough brute force and exotic powers to drop Tyrant for a small majority.

But I can see your point if you disagree. Adding Quasar would do little offensively, IMO, but his shielding would be good. Might get to #12 if I view the battle like you do, with the one-shot clause.

Kris Blaze

He-Man wouldn't be one-shotted. Exodus would. Magneto's shields would hold. Apoc wouldn't. Vulcan would. Loki...possibly. Thor, possibly. Hulk would. Firelord would.

So, he might be taking on He-Man, Magneto, Apoc, and we'll say Thor at the same time, before Zoom gets added into the equation. I still say that's enough brute force and exotic powers to drop Tyrant for a small majority.

But I can see your point if you disagree. Adding Quasar would do little offensively, IMO, but his shielding would be good. Might get to #12 if I view the battle like you do, with the one-shot clause.

Loki, Thor and Firelord get oneshotted but Apocalypse and He-Man do not? facepalm

Do you read your own posts sometimes?

KuRuPT Thanosi

a little further discussion... Do you consider magneto's shields to be superior to Thanos's? Just asking in reference to his shielding against Omega and Galactus and if you think Magneto's would do better?

Also, I've read some Apoc but not really versed on the dude. Can you give me some examples of his durability feats that he's withstood from a person like Tyrant?

Also, even if the team is left that you mentioned (don't really agree but all good) if they are... what makes you think they can put him down? He has tanked a UN shot and still was there. That team that you have left imo doesn't have the firepower to put him down when we never even really saw him hurt at all.

Enyalus
Loki, Thor and Firelord get oneshotted but Apocalypse and He-Man do not? facepalm

I said Loki possibly. And BRB was one-shotted, and he's ~ Classic Thor's level. But regardless, I gave him the benefit of the doubt. He-Man would not. And Apoc is versatile as well as durable. If it came to a blast, for instance, Thor wouldn't be KO'd, obviously. A serious punch or whatever, though, and it's a good possibility. Apoc could bend his body with that punch, or outright avoid a blast.

That's why he wouldn't be one-shotted.

KuRuPT Thanosi

Well he didn't say for sure he said maybe. Plus he kept thor in the battle with the team he thought would be left so i guess he thinks he won't be more then likely. Apoc imo does get one shotted. He-man not sure about.

Enyalus
a little further discussion... Do you consider magneto's shields to be superior to Thanos's? Just asking in reference to his shielding against Omega and Galactus and if you think Magneto's would do better?
No. Thanos' shielding, tech or personal, > Magneto's.

Also, I've read some Apoc but not really versed on the dude. Can you give me some examples of his durability feats that he's withstood from a person like Tyrant?
Like I told Kris. Versatility over brute tanking durability.

Also, even if the team is left that you mentioned (don't really agree but all good) if they are... what makes you think they can put him down? He was tanked a UN shot and still was there. That team that you have left imo doesn't have the firepower to put him down when we never even really saw him hurt at all.
UN shots had the parts of his body that were hit liquefied and on the floor. stick out tongue

Thanos' blasts and punches were affecting him, even if it wasn't a lasting effect. shrug

Kris Blaze
I said Loki possibly. And BRB was one-shotted, and he's ~ Classic Thor's level. But regardless, I gave him the benefit of the doubt. He-Man would not. And Apoc is versatile as well as durable. If it came to a blast, for instance, Thor wouldn't be KO'd, obviously. A serious punch or whatever, though, and it's a good possibility. Apoc could bend his body with that punch, or outright avoid a blast.

That's why he wouldn't be one-shotted.

And Magneto's shields buckled under Thor's hammer. Reached a point where you think that a mere hammer throw from Thor is supposedly stronger than an attack which can one-shot him? Think about that and take a look at the things Magneto's shield HAS withstood, then measure those attacks up against the few moves which have one-shotted Thor throughout the ages.

And while you're at it, run a checkup on Apocalypse's durability feats versus Loki's. You're in for a lot of surprises.

KuRuPT Thanosi

No. Thanos' shielding, tech or personal, > Magneto's.

Like I told Kris. Versatility over brute tanking durability.

UN shots had the parts of his body that were hit liquefied and on the floor. stick out tongue

Thanos' blasts and punches were affecting him, even if it wasn't a lasting effect. shrug

If you feel Magnet's shielding is inferior to Thanos... Then I'm assuming you feel Tyrant could unleash a blast similar to what Galactus and Omega did cause your saying it would hold yet weaker then Thanos

I get what your saying about Apoc but he's been put down by far less then Tyrant so I don't see how he survives.

Parts of his body being liquidfied and him not outright destroyed speaks volumes about his durabilty. When has somebody not just been erased when taking shots from UN. Liquidfied or not that is still in a sense tanking UN shots when he should've been erased like others have been.

Enyalus
Edit. Total quoting disasterpiece.

leonidas
Edit. Total quoting disasterpiece.

poetic and eloquent. in all, one of your better posts. big grin

D_Dude1210
I unno, a lot of the ppl in the list are 1-shottable (other than mebbe despero), what feats do they (anyone from 1-14) have that puts them any considerable amount above BRB's durability?

Also, IF things get out of hand, what's to stop DP Tryrant from doing an Omni-Directional Blast?

PS. While Quasar could help A LITTLE with his shielding, I really don't see him draining DP Tyrant with the Q Bands, he failed against Surfer (who didn't even notice the drain) who is much much below DP Tyrant's level of PC.

Digi
What's with these growing gauntlets?

Anyway, there starts to be trouble around 10, and I'd guess maybe 11-12 he'd be stopped. Seeing He-Man headline the list made me lol. He might actually scale up to Tyrant better than a lot of people after him on the list. But he'd still clearly lose.

It's possible he makes it to 15. He loses eventually, but I see that as his upper limit.

leonidas
Originally posted by Digi
What's with these growing gauntlets?

Anyway, there starts to be trouble around 10, and I'd guess maybe 11-12 he'd be stopped. Seeing He-Man headline the list made me lol. He might actually scale up to Tyrant better than a lot of people after him on the list. But he'd still clearly lose.

It's possible he makes it to 15. He loses eventually, but I see that as his upper limit.

they're fun and as you pointed out, they do a nice job of illustrating what people think are the upper limits of a character. smile

Kris Blaze
I actually think Tyrant is better off in this thread if we don't use everybody's high feats. If that was the case then Loki would be multiplying, teleporting and reality warping all over the place and Thor would have his impenetrable barrier. Not to mention Superman and Zoom smile

He's not making it past Sinestro though, not a ****ing chance.

leonidas
I actually think Tyrant is better off in this thread if we don't use everybody's high feats. If that was the case then Loki would be multiplying, telepotting and reality warping all over the place and Thor would have his impenetrable barrier. Not to mention Superman and Zoom smile

He's not making it past Sinestro though, not a ****ing chance.

yeah, that's exactly right. i was hoping that most would be using most consistent showings as opposed to just 'high end'. and i'm not sure so many would be outright 1-shotted as some. he-man+sword could last for a shot. exodus could teleport around to avoid an opening blast. his shields plus teaming with he-man would likely prevent his being instantly ko'd, etc, . . . they all know exactly what they are up against and there is enough variety of abilities to avoid ALL the first few from being 1-shotted i think.

occultdestroyer
13 is where it gets messy.

Superman and Sinestro is gonna **** him up so bad.

D_Dude1210
What's to stop Tyrant from hitting em all with an Omnidirectional blast?

leonidas
Originally posted by D_Dude1210
What's to stop Tyrant from hitting em all with an Omnidirectional blast?

nothing except a lot of shielding, a lot of teleporting, and a lot of uber energy absorbing. i didn't say it was impossible for him to clear this, i was curious what others thought. smile

Charmander
Originally posted by occultdestroyer
13 is where it gets messy.

Superman and Sinestro is gonna **** him up so bad. What exactly is Sinestro going to do besides provide the numbers advantage/shields?

occultdestroyer
Originally posted by Charmander
What exactly is Sinestro going to do besides provide the numbers advantage/shields?
Provide the numbers advantage/shields.

His contructs should be capable of withstanding Tyrant's blasts for quite some time. Sinestro, He-Man, and probably Magneto ain't getting one-shotted.

KuRuPT Thanosi
People are overrating magneto's shielding here... it wouldn't hold up and he would be taken out. Also, supes that is the reason some of you are saying he stops there lol. Supes is drained or physical KO'd via punching. He is not much of a factor imo and is dealt with just as SS would but easier. Thor and Loki provide some early issue but all before them are mostly one shotted. Sinestro is tough and could cause some issues. Zoom... I'm not buying him being much of a factor at all. An omni blast with his lack of great durability means he's dealt with. I think far too many people are viewing too many people in this fight against Tyrant. He one shots many or just beats the shit out of many so this won't be a all out gang bang by any means

id369
Your claiming Tyrant is stopped because of Despero and feel he beats Tyrant one v one. Certainly you jest. Sounds like a good thread wink

No I think he is stopped before he reaches Despero. But he is definitely stopped once he mets Despero. Because he is the only other Big Boy, who can give him a fight one on one.

Bouboumaster
I say he can do it, if he can kill them fast enough.

KuRuPT Thanosi
Which he would. Somebody that can pwn Glads and vaporize him with his durability means many of these guys would fall victim to the same thing. Show me glads getting handled like that any other time? Doesn't happy. BRB also has great durability and he was one shotted just like most in this gauntlet would be.

leonidas
Which he would. Somebody that can pwn Glads and vaporize him with his durability means many of these guys would fall victim to the same thing. Show me glads getting handled like that any other time? Doesn't happy. BRB also has great durability and he was one shotted just like most in this gauntlet would be.

glads was just run through with a spear last month. no expression

KuRuPT Thanosi
glads was just run through with a spear last month. no expression

I said vaporized and killed in basically one shot not impaled

leonidas
where was he 'vaporized' by tyrant? and being run-through with a spear doesn't speak all that well to his durability overall.

basilisk
Originally posted by Knowsbleed33
You silly bastards and your gauntlets.

Yeah, this would be interesting from Tyrant's point of view:
He-Man appears in Tyrant's base.
"What's this? An intruder dares to challenge me in my own base?" After some fighting, Tyrant gains the upper hand, with only He-Man's sword shielding him from the full effect of Tyrant's blasts. Exodus appears.
"So, it seems you are not alone in your foolishness He-Man! This one also seeks battle with mighty Tyrant!" Tyrant one-shots Exodus and turns back on He-Man. Magneto appears.
"What? Another one? You'll go down as quickly as your allies, fool!" He-Man and Magneto are getting the worst of it. Apocalypse appears.
"So, some sort of blue-lipped clown joins the attack? Perhaps Tyrant will have a battle worth his while after all!". Tyrant presses them back with massive blasts of cosmic energy. In comes Vulcan.
"Bah! It matters not your numbers! No one attacks Tyrant and lives!" After further battle, Loki joins.
"I will crush you like insects beneath my feet!" He is blasting everyone back. In flies Thor.
"...the hell?" PO'd Onslaught Hulk appears and is wrecking everything in sight.
"Where the f*** are you people coming from?" Firelord comes in blasting. Zoom is attacking from all sides. There are energy blasts everywhere. The whole place is getting completely trashed.
"WTF??!! GET THE F*** OUT OF MY BASE!!!"

But as for the outcome, Tyrant could probably beat any one of these guys based on his showings against Gladiator, BRB, Thanos, Galactus etc. Depending on how quickly he could put the early guys down and how quickly the reinforcements come in (i.e. basically avoiding fighting them all at once), he might clear it. But he would be running into serious trouble by the last 5 if a decent number of them are still on their feet with Magneto or Quasar still able to provide shields. He could well go down.

KuRuPT Thanosi
where was he 'vaporized' by tyrant? and being run-through with a spear doesn't speak all that well to his durability overall.

During their HV exchange he was dispatched as never before with ease. It doesn't but low showings are just that low showings.

leonidas
so why wasn't his being beaten with tyrant's blast a 'low showing'? i think bill's showing against tyrant was certainly low. his hammer can absorb ridiculous amounts of energy, and bill didn't really do anything at all with it.

KuRuPT Thanosi
Let me ask you something Leo... Compare who and how glads was impaled and do they compare with Tyrant? No it wasn't a low showing for either BRB or Glads.... actually Glads had the best showing of all.. briefly matching Tyrants Hv output until Tyrant got done playing and bye bye Glads. Compare that to the others getting one-shotted and it was a decent showing. BRB isn't doing anything to Tyrant low showing or high showing. He's not even close to the same league so I don't know how you can call that a low showing. Furthermore, did you even see these fights and you seem at a loss for the Glads incident and don't you remember brb getting one shot punched not blasted by Tyrant?

leonidas
Let me ask you something Leo... Compare who and how glads was impaled and do they compare with Tyrant? No it wasn't a low showing for either BRB or Glads.... actually Glads had the best showing of all.. briefly matching Tyrants Hv output until Tyrant got done playing and bye bye Glads. Compare that to the others getting one-shotted and it was a decent showing. BRB isn't doing anything to Tyrant low showing or high showing. He's not even close to the same league so I don't know how you can call that a low showing. Furthermore, did you even see these fights and you seem at a loss for the Glads incident and don't you remember brb getting one shot punched not blasted by Tyrant?

have i read it? yeah, a few times, but not for quite a while. was tyrant more powerful than the guy that stabbed glad's? sure. but glad's has also withstood a solar system destroying blast. compare that to how he did against tyrant and the showing isn't so good . . .

the point about bill was that throughout the battle he never once TRIED absorbing any energy, not that he was put down BY energy.

clearly tyrant is far above these guys individually, but even in that HV exchange glads was hardly 'vaporized and basically killed'. he was shaken up but wasn't even ko'd. to own everyone like he did bill, he'd need to hit physically, not something that would be easy for him to do in this scenario.

leonidas
again, i'm not saying he couldn't clear it. i'm still undecided. but the fight would be a lot different than the cosmic powers battle, imo, if only because they would have basic knowledge of him and they would be working as a team, as opposed to tackling him as a bunch of single challenges.

Digi
so why wasn't his being beaten with tyrant's blast a 'low showing'? i think bill's showing against tyrant was certainly low. his hammer can absorb ridiculous amounts of energy, and bill didn't really do anything at all with it.

^^^

It's also important to note that if you replaced Tyrant with Thanos, people would be having it stop well before 10. Granted, Tyrant got the better of Thanos in their fight. But the Titan held in there, and it wasn't a stomp.

But yeah, "forum" versions of these characters would do a bit better than Tyrant's one-shotting a bunch of them. As early as He-Man gives them some energy absorption, so there's plausible reason to believe most of them could stay alive for an extended period.

leonidas
Originally posted by Digi
^^^

It's also important to note that if you replaced Tyrant with Thanos, people would be having it stop well before 10.

laughing out loud

i was gonna say the same thing if KT wanted to continue the discussion. smile

there was the issue of the sphere amping thanos though. prior to that, thanos was getting owned pretty badly too. though i seem to recall a rather lengthy and heated discussion revolving around that sphere. the guy swore up and down that the sphere did not amp thanos at all when i thought it very apparent that it did . . .

thumb up

Enyalus
there was the issue of the sphere amping thanos though. prior to that, thanos was getting owned pretty badly too. though i seem to recall a rather lengthy and heated discussion revolving around that sphere. the guy swore up and down that the sphere did not amp thanos at all when i thought it very apparent that it did . . .
erm He never took on Tyrant without the orb, so I don't get where you're getting him being owned pretty badly before having it.

The orb didn't amp Thanos' powers physically. It contained knowledge, and that is all. Kris pointed this out initially, and I dug up the scans to back it up. *shrug*

KuRuPT Thanosi
erm He never took on Tyrant without the orb, so I don't get where you're getting him being owned pretty badly before having it.

The orb didn't amp Thanos' powers physically. It contained knowledge, and that is all. Kris pointed this out initially, and I dug up the scans to back it up. *shrug*

Good point Eny as you beat me to it. Not only did he have the orb the whole time but it didn't amp him at the time. Tyrant, need it hooked up to machines to gain "stuff" so then how could thanos just hold it and absorb anything from it? Furthermore, you see clearly when Thanos did leave he also had to hook it up to machines to study it and possible obsorb it's "power".

I don't get how this being a forum fight means anything and how it doesn't also apply to Tyrant. He is also going at full capacity and not holding back. Which mean there WILL BE many one shotted. He is in a league well above most in this fight and that will be evident when they exchange blows.

lastly, Leo, what does bill not absorbing energy have to do with anything. You admitted he was one shotted via punches so what exactly does the fact that bill could absorb energy prove? Yes we know that is in his powerset. Problem is Tyrant got up close and personal and BRB was one shotted.

Enyalus
No, but seriously, there's no 'power' involved. The orb contains cosmic knowledge. That's it. When Thanos hooks it up to his machines to study it, he says as much. As does...Cosmic Powers Unlimited #2 (IIRC).

Also KT, shame on you. Gladiator wasn't anywhere near vaporized by matching energy blasts with Tyrant. Tyrant has to elbow him in the back of the neck in order to drop him. The energy exchange didn't put him down at all. stick out tongue

leonidas

that first is sort of true. he DID have it knocked from his hand and while it was out of his hands tyrant laid into him pretty well. once he got it back and started using it, the battle turned and was much closer. again, if it was only knowledge, why bother reaching for it in the middle of battle? why the dramatic difference in how the battle was fought? and why on earth would an orb filled with stolen energy from MORG contain nothing but 'knowledge'?

http://img10.imageshack.us/i/spherea.jpg/

to me it's very clear the orb helped thanos, and added morg's power to his own.

leonidas
lastly, Leo, what does bill not absorbing energy have to do with anything. You admitted he was one shotted via punches so what exactly does the fact that bill could absorb energy prove? Yes we know that is in his powerset. Problem is Tyrant got up close and personal and BRB was one shotted.

what does it prove? it proves he didn't use his full set of powers. and tyrant didn't get up close. bill charged him like an idiot and got clobbered for the attempt. you mentioned (i think it was you, if not, my apologies) an omniblast. he used one against terrax and legacy and JofH but didn't ko any of them. terrax took a punch and didn't fall, and landed a solid blow. that final group (which wsn't terribly powerful) lasted for a little while and got in some good shots.

if an omniblast were used, bill (among many others) could absorb it to become more powerful.

Enyalus
that first is sort of true. he DID have it knocked from his hand and while it was out of his hands tyrant laid into him pretty well. once he got it back and started using it, the battle turned and was much closer. again, if it was only knowledge, why bother reaching for it in the middle of battle? why the dramatic difference in how the battle was fought? and why on earth would an orb filled with stolen energy from MORG contain nothing but 'knowledge'?

http://img10.imageshack.us/i/spherea.jpg/

to me it's very clear the orb helped thanos, and added morg's power to his own.

As you can see, the scan you posted is the third one in my set of scans. Chronologically prior to that, Tyrant gives Morg back his power. That Thanos apparently falsely believed it held Morg's power initially is irrelevant. Considering in scan #6 of set one, he knows it is knowledge and says as much. The second set of scans just back this point up.

EDIT: Links fixed.

leonidas
none of your scans work.

Enyalus
none of your scans work.
Check the edit.

Also, lol @ Tyrant quoting the Bhagavad Gita in #2 of second set of scans.

leonidas
Check the edit.

Also, lol @ Tyrant quoting the Bhagavad Gita in #2 of second set of scans.

hmm, i don't think i've ever seen the second set of scans before. that does seem to imply it contained knowledge. that doesn't preclude power. your earlier supposition regarding thanos not knowing the globes power had been returned is irrelevent--apparently tyrant's own computer system didn't know it. nor does the fact that he was "reinvigorated" mean all of morg's power was returned to him, which is the impression i was always under.

meh. by that second story, it seems the globe WAS considered knowledge. i still say in the original series the globe DID amp thanos. otherwise the battle doesn't make sense to me at all.

leonidas
seriously--this is the first blast fron thanos:

http://img32.imageshack.us/i/51057344.jpg/

utterly ineffective.

here he is striving to regain the sphere (for what purpose, why the desperate look?) and the blast THROUGH the sphere that clearly has FAR more effect:

http://img32.imageshack.us/i/60264276.jpg/

without the sphere he was getting wrecked. with it, the battle was nearly even. seems pretty clear the orb amped him.

now, was it retconned? i can concede that . . . but in that original series, it makes no sense that it held ONLY "knowledge."

darthgoober
Originally posted by Galan007
sad
Hey you should feel honored mad ....

stick out tongue

leonidas
Originally posted by darthgoober
Hey you should feel honored mad ....

stick out tongue

laughing out loud

i agree! big grin

Enyalus
seriously--this is the first blast fron thanos:

http://img32.imageshack.us/i/51057344.jpg/

utterly ineffective.

here he is striving to regain the sphere (for what purpose, why the desperate look?) and the blast THROUGH the sphere that clearly has FAR more effect:

http://img32.imageshack.us/i/60264276.jpg/

without the sphere he was getting wrecked. with it, the battle was nearly even. seems pretty clear the orb amped him.
In the first scan, as you probably already know but I feel inclined to point out anyway, he was holding the orb, too. And in both scans Thanos's blasts rocked Tyrant backwards (his back arched, etc). In the second scan, Tyrant lets out a noise. That was the only difference. That doesn't necessarily imply that the blast which was through the orb was more powerful because the orb made it that way...

Think about this: earlier in that arc, Morg walked through Thanos's first energy blast. Later on, Thanos one-shots Morg with an energy blast. It makes sense when you consider Thanos wanting to test the limits of his opponent's powers. Once properly gauged, he handles the situation. Same deal with the scans you've posted.

Why did he seem so desperate to have the orb? Because that was the entire purpose of him helping Ganymede and Terrax in the first place. To test himself, and to claim his orb of knowledge for his prize. If you're putting your immortal life on the line to claim one prize, wouldn't you be rather desperate to hang onto it? It isn't anything new for Thanos. Knowledge is power, as he says himself. He went after and claimed possession of the Oracle of Knowledge in Secret Defenders, too. In addition to his multiple trips to the Infinity Well to divine information there, his vast mystic and technological library, etc etc.

It was in character for him to go after it. And like you said, it's pretty clear it contained knowledge and that was it. As for it being a post-retcon....The story you're familiar with took place in Cosmic Powers #6. The scans I posted you hadn't seen were from Cosmic Powere Unlimited #3. Not far apart, time-wise. And they make reference to Thanos' break in and theft during it.

I don't think it was a retcon at all. It was always that way. Especially considering what Thanos says about the orb when he hooks it up to his machines at his home.

Bouboumaster

In the first scan, as you probably already know but I feel inclined to point out anyway, he was holding the orb, too. And in both scans Thanos's blasts rocked Tyrant backwards (his back arched, etc). In the second scan, Tyrant lets out a noise. That was the only difference. That doesn't necessarily imply that the blast which was through the orb was more powerful because the orb made it that way...

Think about this: earlier in that arc, Morg walked through Thanos's first energy blast. Later on, Thanos one-shots Morg with an energy blast. It makes sense when you consider Thanos wanting to test the limits of his opponent's powers. Once properly gauged, he handles the situation. Same deal with the scans you've posted.

Why did he seem so desperate to have the orb? Because that was the entire purpose of him helping Ganymede and Terrax in the first place. To test himself, and to claim his orb of knowledge for his prize. If you're putting your immortal life on the line to claim one prize, wouldn't you be rather desperate to hang onto it? It isn't anything new for Thanos. Knowledge is power, as he says himself. He went after and claimed possession of the Oracle of Knowledge in Secret Defenders, too. In addition to his multiple trips to the Infinity Well to divine information there, his vast mystic and technological library, etc etc.

It was in character for him to go after it. And like you said, it's pretty clear it contained knowledge and that was it. As for it being a post-retcon....The story you're familiar with took place in Cosmic Powers #6. The scans I posted you hadn't seen were from Cosmic Powere Unlimited #3. Not far apart, time-wise. And they make reference to Thanos' break in and theft during it.

I don't think it was a retcon at all. It was always that way. Especially considering what Thanos says about the orb when he hooks it up to his machines at his home.

smokin'

kgkg
As you can see, the scan you posted is the third one in my set of scans. Chronologically prior to that, Tyrant gives Morg back his power. That Thanos apparently falsely believed it held Morg's power initially is irrelevant. Considering in scan #6 of set one, he knows it is knowledge and says as much. The second set of scans just back this point up.

EDIT: Links fixed. So if it's knowledge only why did the orb have more of an impact on Tyrant than Thanos's own power and why was he using it in the battle?

From the looks of the fight every painful hit that Thanos hit tyrant was via the orb.

Enyalus
Originally posted by kgkg
So if it's knowledge only why did the orb have more of an impact on Tyrant than Thanos's own power
From what I saw, it really didn't make much of a difference. He didn't have it at the end right there, yet was able to still physically stalemate Tyrant in their grappling contest.

and why was he using it in the battle?
His suit doesn't have pockets. Where else is he going to keep it safe at?

kgkg
Originally posted by Enyalus From what I saw, it really didn't make much of a difference. He didn't have it at the end right there, yet was able to still physically stalemate Tyrant in their grappling contest. Well ever attack he did was with the orb. It doesn't really matter either way he didn't hurt tyrant much. Thanos ever really statemented him Thanos was in the losing end and was the one Buried and Tyrant was standing like nothing had happened.

Originally posted by Enyalus His suit doesn't have pockets. Where else is he going to keep it safe at? Wait it's safer to use it as a weapon<where it could break, can be stolen> then just hiding it , teleporting it etc?

Enyalus
Thanos ever really statemented him Thanos was in the losing end and was the one Buried and Tyrant was standing like nothing had happened.
That was due to the engines starting up and blasting off the planet, rather than anything Tyrant did.

Wait it's safer to use it as a weapon<where it could break, can be stolen> then just hiding it , teleporting it etc?
Maybe Thanos knew it wouldn't break, or Tyrant wouldn't risk breaking it? I don't know that Thanos would have been able to teleport just the orb very accurately. When he was ready to, he teleported them both. He wanted to have some fun with his new toy. I don't see the problem with that. stick out tongue

leonidas
why bother directing a blast through the orb? and i also said knowledge doesn't preclude it have power as well. i'd always assumed the knowledge was simply the tech it was made of, and the way it was able to store power.

thinking of it as only knowledge weakens the story in my eyes and doesn't fit with what was shown. meh, tyrant always sucked and now apparently even his orbs suck too.

Enyalus
why bother directing a blast through the orb?
Because he had just picked up the orb and it was faster than transferring hands whatwith Tyrant up in his grill?

You and KG are really trying to stretch this. There's clear evidence to show that it is an orb of knowledge. Then there's your speculation that it could have had power in it. stick out tongue

thinking of it as only knowledge weakens the story in my eyes and doesn't fit with what was shown. meh, tyrant always sucked and now apparently even his orbs suck too.
Even Stranger's twin coveted the orb for its knowledge. And Tyrant had thousands of them. That makes Tyrant even more uber, IMO.

leonidas

Because he had just picked up the orb and it was faster than transferring hands whatwith Tyrant up in his grill?

You and KG are really trying to stretch this. There's clear evidence to show that it is an orb of knowledge. Then there's your speculation that it could have had power in it. stick out tongue

Even Stranger's twin coveted the orb for its knowledge. And Tyrant had thousands of them. That makes Tyrant even more uber, IMO.

the guy was a creation of galactus, nothing really special. we saw the orb in action--it was a containment vessel for the POWER he literally siphoned out of morg. but now instead of containing morg's power, it holds KNOWLEDGE? blink

that's among the dumbest things ever. it makes no sense from a plot standpoint. what, did the PC simply convert to this special wisdom? what kind of 'knowledge' could it hold?? way too esoteric, and not really in keeping with the kind of character tyrant was. tyrant was basically a bully. the idea of him hording 'spheres of knowledge' is ridiculous to me. and for what purpose? was he planning on challenging g to an IQ test?

it made much more sense to think of each sphere as holding power he could summon or absorb when needed. at one point i thought he was absorbing power from all the guys who attacked him. i still think the purpose of the spheres changed between those arcs, but it doesn't matter i suppose.

james2099
One shots them all.

Enyalus
the guy was a creation of galactus, nothing really special. we saw the orb in action--it was a containment vessel for the POWER he literally siphoned out of morg. but now instead of containing morg's power, it holds KNOWLEDGE? blink

that's among the dumbest things ever.
It would be, if that's what had happened.

Fact: Tyrant drained Morg's Power Cosmic.
Fact: Thanos assumes the orb was holding Morg's power.
Fact: Thanos logically can't know that. He's assuming.
Fact: His assumption is wrong, because prior to retrieving the orb, Tyrant had already restored Morg's power.

Another reason why he's wrong? Look at scan #2. Tyrant revitalizes Morg using the machine-tentacles hooked into him. The orb "supposedly" containing Morg's power was in a completely separate room. Sure, those two could be connected via a really, really long cord or whatever, spanning multiple rooms, etc. But, that's unlikely. And along with the rest of the evidence I provided, it's outright false.

Enyalus
In other news, whereas before I thought that adding in Zoom and his 'hitting harder than Superman' level speed would be enough to do the damage, combined with everyone else, to drop Tyrant...I just remembered that SS bullrush punched Tyrant and literally, it did nothing.

Taking into account KT's one-shot theory, which I agree with...I'll say he stops once Sinestro enters the fray. #13.

leonidas
Originally posted by Enyalus It would be, if that's what had happened.

Fact: Tyrant drained Morg's Power Cosmic.
Fact: Thanos assumes the orb was holding Morg's power.
Fact: Thanos logically can't know that. He's assuming.
Fact: His assumption is wrong, because prior to retrieving the orb, Tyrant had already restored Morg's power.

Another reason why he's wrong? Look at scan #2. Tyrant revitalizes Morg using the machine-tentacles hooked into him. The orb "supposedly" containing Morg's power was in a completely separate room. Sure, those two could be connected via a really, really long cord or whatever, spanning multiple rooms, etc. But, that's unlikely. And along with the rest of the evidence I provided, it's outright false.

the 2 i bolded are actually completely false. thanos "assumed" nothing--or if he did, he assumed correctly. he had no idea where the orb was, so what did he do? he specifically asked tyrant's own computer system where the orb that contained morg's stolen power was:

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x287/Deywos/Thanos_Morg_orb3.jpg

and the computer confirmed his knowledge (or assumption if you want) and told him exactly where it was. so, apparently, after going through tyrant's computer system and learning about him, he ALSO learned about the orb (which renders the need for assumptions noid). and he didn't ask for an orb with "knowledge"-- he asked for the orb with morg's stolen power.

and this piece:

only FURTHERS my point. if he DID revitalize morg with energy from the tentacles, or whatever the hell he did, then the orb STILL retained morg's stolen energy, again, as confirmed by tyrant's own computer system.

stolen energy does NOT equal knowledge. makes no sense in the scheme of that story.

a retcon is what let's me sleep at night. i'm afraid that the only thing that makes sense to me is a retcon. erm

and i think it's still possible he clears it, but it isn't easy . . .

leonidas
laughing out loud

i remember this thread. i love the irony--i, like zop, used to feel the orb empowered thanos in that famous tyrant fight, but my buddy enyalus (wish he was still a poster here....) showed me the error of my ways. anyway, with the way some seem to view tyrant, i wonder how he fares nowadays in this gauntlet.....

guy222
How mad is Hulk

leonidas
onslaught mad.

TheLordofMurder
onslaught mad.

If the Hulk is in "Mindless Hulk/Onslaught" mode, then Tyrant is going to have to amp up physically to deal with this version of the Hulk...

leonidas
and by the time he reaches hulk, he will also already be simultaneously battling:

1. he-man
2. exodus
3. magneto
4. apocalypse
5. vulcan
6. loki and
7. thor (classic)

you think that team + hulk takes him down?

those who seem to believe tyrant is near galactus level likely believe he clears this pretty easily, no?

TheLordofMurder
and by the time he reaches hulk, he will also already be simultaneously battling:

1. he-man
2. exodus
3. magneto
4. apocalypse
5. vulcan
6. loki and
7. thor (classic)

you think that team + hulk takes him down?

those who seem to believe tyrant is near galactus level likely believe he clears this pretty easily, no?

I do believe Tyrant clears this gauntlet, but he wont be able to toy with them; he'll have to bring it on a level greater than he did against Thanos and the Heralds...he'll have to unleash his true power.

carver9
Take this how you want but Onslaught was taking on the Avengers, Fantastic Four, Xmen and other random hero's and villains and they couldn't even scratch his body (when he was enhanced by Franklin, Xman, etc...). Now if we are using the same Hulk that fought this guy, Tyrant will need shields. Hulk punched Onslaught (the same guy that withstood attacks from Earth defenses) so hard it turned his entire armor to dust.

leonidas
so you think he stops at 1-8 then?

leonidas
^^incidentally:

http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/6/69048/1974732-thormjolnir177_strikingpoweruncanny_super.jpg

soooo.....What the f**k?

h1a8
what can i say, i like the format. big grin

so, here's the roster. starts off against 1, and all the others are waiting to get a chance at him as soon as the others are in trouble. tyrant as shown in the thanos battle. how many does it take to out him down? CAN they put him down?

tyrant easily beat down a solid group of heroes including ss, jack of hearts, terrax, gladiator and morg. can THIS group take him down??

It's not who you take down, it's how you did it. Tyrant didn't impress me much, especially when he fought Gladiator.

1. he-man=1 (based off power set)
2. exodus=?
3. magneto=?
4. apocalypse=?
5. vulcan=?
6. loki=?
7. thor (classic)=3-5 Godblasts should do the trick
8. hulk (onslaught-level po'd)=2 or 3
9. firelord=?
10. zoom=1
11. quasar=?
12. superman=2 or 3 high end Supermen
13. sinestro=?
14. orion=2 or 3 High end Orions
15. despero=?

carver9
so you think he stops at 1-8 then?

Yeah, depending on how you view Vulcans energy control. If Vulcan can control Tyrant energy output while Hulk goes fist cuff with him, that alone could change the tide. If he is unable to do this then Tyrant clears since I don't see any of these people being able to take too many attacks from him.

Personally, I think Vulcan energy control is enough to make a change and I also see this version of Hulk being strong enough to "probably" physically overpower Tyrant. Just my opinion though.

leonidas
Originally posted by h1a8
It's not who you take down, it's how you did it. Tyrant didn't impress me much, especially when he fought Gladiator.

1. he-man=1 (based off power set)
2. exodus=?
3. magneto=?
4. apocalypse=?
5. vulcan=?
6. loki=?
7. thor (classic)=3-5 Godblasts should do the trick
8. hulk (onslaught-level po'd)=2 or 3
9. firelord=?
10. zoom=1
11. quasar=?
12. superman=2 or 3 high end Supermen
13. sinestro=?
14. orion=2 or 3 High end Orions
15. despero=?

not sure what you're saying here. i think you're misunderstanding the gauntlet. as soon as 1 is in any trouble 2 comes in. if 1 and 2 are in trouble, 3 comes in, and so on. by the end he could be fighting ALL of them at the same time, though odds are he would have already ko'd a bunch and maybe even 1 shot some....

leonidas
Originally posted by carver9
Yeah, depending on how you view Vulcans energy control. If Vulcan can control Tyrant energy output while Hulk goes fist cuff with him, that alone could change the tide. If he is unable to do this then Tyrant clears since I don't see any of these people being able to take too many attacks from him.

Personally, I think Vulcan energy control is enough to make a change and I also see this version of Hulk being strong enough to "probably" physically overpower Tyrant. Just my opinion though.

i like vulcan too. thumb up less sure about hulk's impact but when factored in with everyone else, maybe.....

leonidas
Originally posted by basilisk
Yeah, this would be interesting from Tyrant's point of view:
He-Man appears in Tyrant's base.
"What's this? An intruder dares to challenge me in my own base?" After some fighting, Tyrant gains the upper hand, with only He-Man's sword shielding him from the full effect of Tyrant's blasts. Exodus appears.
"So, it seems you are not alone in your foolishness He-Man! This one also seeks battle with mighty Tyrant!" Tyrant one-shots Exodus and turns back on He-Man. Magneto appears.
"What? Another one? You'll go down as quickly as your allies, fool!" He-Man and Magneto are getting the worst of it. Apocalypse appears.
"So, some sort of blue-lipped clown joins the attack? Perhaps Tyrant will have a battle worth his while after all!". Tyrant presses them back with massive blasts of cosmic energy. In comes Vulcan.
"Bah! It matters not your numbers! No one attacks Tyrant and lives!" After further battle, Loki joins.
"I will crush you like insects beneath my feet!" He is blasting everyone back. In flies Thor.
"...the hell?" PO'd Onslaught Hulk appears and is wrecking everything in sight.
"Where the f*** are you people coming from?" Firelord comes in blasting. Zoom is attacking from all sides. There are energy blasts everywhere. The whole place is getting completely trashed.
"WTF??!! GET THE F*** OUT OF MY BASE!!!"

But as for the outcome, Tyrant could probably beat any one of these guys based on his showings against Gladiator, BRB, Thanos, Galactus etc. Depending on how quickly he could put the early guys down and how quickly the reinforcements come in (i.e. basically avoiding fighting them all at once), he might clear it. But he would be running into serious trouble by the last 5 if a decent number of them are still on their feet with Magneto or Quasar still able to provide shields. He could well go down.

and just because i laughed when i first read this, and laughed again rereading it. laughing out loud

dynamix
depowered tyrant was holding his own against Galactus (of course we don't know how much effort galactus put into that fight) but that should definitely be considered here.

but word, Basilisk assessment seems pretty good to me lol.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.