Underrated Horror films

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

belike
Is it me or is Black Christmas (1974) the most underrated horror film of all time?

Impediment
No, it just sucks. So did the remake.

MildPossession
The original Black Christmas is a classic! such a creepy film. But yes, the remake nothing special.

I'd say May is incredibly underrated, well here in Britain it most definitely is. I don't think it's even out on DVD here?

Insomniatric
Behind the Mask. A lot of people have never even heard of it, and it was freakin awesome.

Selphie
Originally posted by MildPossession
The original Black Christmas is a classic! such a creepy film. But yes, the remake nothing special.

I'd say May is incredibly underrated, well here in Britain it most definitely is. I don't think it's even out on DVD here?

Agreed. I just watched the original Black Christmas, and truly enjoyed it. It goes by a bit slowly, but it's great nonetheless. The very first phone call sits so strangely with me. I LOVE when Barb calls him a pervert, and he stops with all the strange voices and just simply says, "I'm going to kill you.", and instantly hangs up. Cracks me up everytime!

Haven't seen the remake though. Saw a few clips of it, and it looks absolutely terrible.

May is definitely underrated. It's such an amazing movie, one of my ultimate favorites.

Myth
Originally posted by Insomniatric
Behind the Mask. A lot of people have never even heard of it, and it was freakin awesome.

That was filmed in my hometown, and one of my friends was one of the victims.

Röland

I loved May. Was very awesome.

Devil Gene
Boy is The Ring one of these...

BackFire
Agree with MP, May is extraordinarily underrated. So few have heard of it and it's one of the best horror films of the past decade.

Dog Soldiers, also underrated.

It also seems to me that The Fly is underrated when it comes to the emotional impact of that film.

JolietKev
Has anyone seen the movie, Demons?

Wolfie
I'll start by agreeing with the above, May and Dog Soldiers are very underrated.

I keep telling fans of The Descent and Doomsday to watch Dog Soldiers but no one bothers.

I haven't finished it yet, but Behind the Mask is underrated as well.

The Ugly is probably more underrated then the others though.

MildPossession
Yes, and the second one. Not too keen on the films though.

Devil Gene
Any thoughts on the Ring? I found it creepy...while not making the story crap

MildPossession
If you mean Ringu, the original film, then yep found it incredibly creepy when it first came out, I even had it on VHS, arghhhh.

jaden101
It's a stretch to put Dog Soldiers firmly in the horror genre though. If anything it's a slight parody of werewolph horror and very much a black comedy (and a hilarious one at that).

I personally think Silent Hill is underrated.

One film that could've been underrated if it didn't go **** up right at the end was "Phantoms". I thought the location and build up of that film was tremendous...and what was the pay off? A giant oil slick monster that gets killed with injections of detergent

It's right up there with "It" as having one of the shittest endings ever.

Oh...And Session 9....magnificent and doesn't get the recognition it deserves.

BackFire
Dog Soldier's in considered a horror film, horror films don't have to be pure to be considered horror - many hybrids are.

Parmaniac
The Relic (not 100% if that's the title, in german it's "Das Relikt"wink that takes place in the museum I think that's an underrated Movie because he's pretty decent IMO

MildPossession
Yep that's the correct title. The Relic. smile

I think that's what Jaden meant, doesn't fall 100% into Horror, but yes it is Horror, mixed with others.

Captain Howdy
IMO Jaden is dead on about Silent Hill being underrated. Also, if you have'nt seen Session 9 you MUST see it.

How about Event Horizon being underrated? Most people I know have never even heard of the movie. For me, the inter-dimensional connection is AWESOME --- For you WH40,000 fans out there, don't u think this is an excellent introduction to the WH 40,000 Universe? IMO, this appears like a ship entring the Warp and the Gellar Field failed.

That ACDC Chick
M
its not over-the-top with gore and supernatural shit creepy but the guy playing the murderer, Peter Lorre, kinda is

wicker_man
Personally I found Dog Soldiers the best of Marshall's outputs - gotta love a humour level that's on par with The Evil Dead 2: Dead By Dawn and The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2.

It's gained a cult following so it's not been totally lost.

Personally I also found the following underrated aswell:

Undead
Clive Barker's Nightbreed
The Blind Dead Series
The Birds
Shadow of the Vampire
Zombie Diaries
Nightmare City
The Crazies
Hellraiser 2 - Much prefer this to the first film
The Witchfinder General
Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things
Dracula 2000/2001
Dead Set - not a movie but still lost on E4's typical audience

MildPossession
The Birds? the Hitchcock film, or do you mean Dead Birds?

wicker_man
The Birds? the Hitchcock film, or do you mean Dead Birds?

Yep Hitchcocks

MildPossession
They are going to make a new version of The Birds, based more on the book.

Love the original though, one of my favourites from Hitchcock.

mrblue
i find Phantasm very underrated.

Dr Mystery
I think The Burning is underrated. Never heard of May I will keep a look out now though and what's this session 9 that you've mentioning?

MildPossession
Session 9:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0261983/

Dr Mystery
Tried to watch the trailer for session 9 just then, kept freezing on me, but I saw the synopsis and got a vague idea of the level of production. I'll be adding this to my list. I think Alice, sweet Alice is another underrated film.

the ninjak
I hated The Birds.

Hated It!!!!!

jabjabcross
Its really sad to me that a lot of classics do not get the respect they deserve. They are the foundation for a lot of great current films. Even sadder is that they do not get credit for the remakes that are constantly popping up. I really think the original Cormans, Piranha film is super underrated. Thankfully I found out that there is a new Piranha 3d film coming out that is very sexy, funny, gruesome, and fun. They are using Aja (director) from the Hills Have Eyes.

Micheal_Myers
Hell Night.

K.Diddy
Originally posted by Micheal_Myers
Hell Night.

laughing out loud Been years and years since I seen that,can barely remember it

Micheal_Myers
One of my favorite horror films.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.