Which DBZ Movies are Canon?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

yungz22
I have a question ande need an answer.

ARE THE BARDOCK AND HISTORY OF TRUNKS MOVIE CANON?
they both have manga doesnt that make em cannon?

King Kandy
Neither are technically canon to the manga, though the events portrayed in history of Trunks are.

Bardock is a canon character in the manga but the specifics of the story aren't.

Both are canon to the anime.

Kento
The only movie that could be considered canon is Bardock's movie as History of Trunks movie changes a lot from the manga.

yungz22
Originally posted by Kento
The only movie that could be considered canon is Bardock's movie as History of Trunks movie changes a lot from the manga.

how does history of trunkws difer from the manga

Endless Mike
Originally posted by yungz22
how does history of trunkws difer from the manga

In History of Trunks, Trunks becomes a SSJ when Gohan dies. In the manga he was already a SSJ when Gohan died. There were some other things too, but that was the main one

Kazenji
I remember reading somewhere one of them Coola movies fits in somewhere.

Devil Gene
Non of them are canon but it only matters to people who are butt horny when it comes to that word (canon).

jk...no offense meant. It just doesn't matters to me. Official DBZ is official DBZ. DBAF...now that's just garbage.

Kazenji
Originally posted by Devil Gene
Non of them are canon

Coola's Revenge is canon to the anime it even fits into the timeline.

Kento
Originally posted by Kazenji
Coola's Revenge is canon to the anime it even fits into the timeline. How does it fit?

Kazenji
764 A.D.

Vegeta Undergoes gravity training and becomes a super saiyan.

A mild relationship begins to form between Vegeta and Bulma

Goku and Piccolo Attend driving classes to get their drivers's licenses

Coola arrives on Earth and supposdly killed by Super Saiyan Goku *Anime Timeline Only*

Kento
Doesn't Gokou have trouble going ssj in that movie though?

RagingFetus
I myself consider some movies canon to the anime. Both Cooler movies and all 3 Broly movies are not canon, just to point them out there.

Mr. Rhythmic
I count virtually all of the movies as canon.

dadudemon
No movies are canon.

The HoT and B:FoG are not movies.

The end.

yungz22
yes in order for him to go super at that time was to be pushed to the edge

Endless Mike
yes in order for him to go super at that time was to be pushed to the edge

Which again, makes no sense, since in the canon manga when he arrived on earth he could already transform at will

yungz22
Originally posted by Endless Mike
Which again, makes no sense, since in the canon manga when he arrived on earth he could already transform at will

EXACTLY WHICH IS WHY IT ISNT CANON

Mr. Rhythmic

No he couldn't.

Kento
Originally posted by Mr. Rhythmic
No he couldn't. Yes he could. He does so against Trunks..

First_Tsurugi06

Not necessarily. I think it just had more to do with the same case as Gohan's SSJ2 in Bojack Unbound (that's a movie that may very well fit into canon).

Kento
It would have made a bit more sense if Trunks hadn't of been in Bojack Unbound, though either way it can still easily fit better than any other movie.

atv2
I would say that the first movie may have a chance to be considered as canon.

The World's Strongest: Piccolo wasn't around when Goku utilized Kaioken and the Spirit Bomb.

Tree of Might: Piccolo, Yamcha, Tien and Chaotsu were still dead around the time Goku learned to upgrade his Kaioken to level 10.

Lord Slug: By the time Goku arrives back to Earth, he is already capable of performing the Super Saiyan Transformation there was no need for him to use the False Super Saiyan Form. In this movie, they have Gohan portrayed as he was on Namek, Gohan was older when Goku returned to Earth.

Cooler's revenge: Same thing, Goku could transform into a Super Saiyan easily by the time he returned to Earth but they make it look as if he had a difficult time with the transformation.

Cooler's return: They have Dende as the new guardian of Earth. At this time, Goku became a Full Power Super Saiyan along with Gohan, Gohan is older than what he was when everyone fought with the Androids. On top of that Vegeta could undergo the Super Vegeta Transformation. Since Dende is the new guardian for Earth, Piccolo should have already fused with Kami making him more powerful. Meta Cooler is a bit surprised with Goku's instant transmission technique, However Goku should have been able to use instant transmission when he first fought Cooler(When Goku returned to Earth, he could transform into a Super Saiyan easily and use the Instant transmission technique.)

Super andriod 13: I would like to say that it was possible to fit this one in, because Goku has already to recovered from the heart virus and returned to the crew, however they did not have any free time on their hands considering that they went straight to Kami's lookout to go to the next level of Super Saiyan.

Broly Legendary Super Saiyan: May be possible for this one to fit in because they did have some free time on their hands before the Cell Games begin. Knowing Cell, Why would he allow someone like Broly to slip out of his hands?

Bojack Unbound: Another possibility to fit in, At this time Cell has already been defeated, and they had lots of leisure time on their hands, perhaps 7 years of it. Not sure if Gohan can go into SSJ2 easily.

atv2
The Second Coming: Not sure on this one. They had a lot of time on their hands to fit it in. However, Goku did not return to Earth until the Tournament.

Bio Broly: Took place during the tournament but they went on to fight Babadi and his crew, plus Goku was still around when the tournament was going on. At the they, show him back in Other World.

Fusion REBORN: They had this take place during the other world tournament however The tournament by Janemba. They show Goku being able to go SSJ2 and SSJ3 but he didnt do this until after the other world tournament. Plus Gohan is capable of reaching the Mystic level and Trunks and Goten can undergo the fusion. Speaking of fusion, Goku and Vegeta didnt meet back until they returned to Earth. If they had the Gogeta fusion I don't think they would have needed the potara rings for Vegetto. Besides, Vegeta would have preferred the temporary fusion over the Potara fusion seeing that he doesn't like Goku very much let alone being fused with him forever. Because this movie picked up right after the Other World, Goku did not have the ability to turn SSJ2 and SSJ3. This also cancels out the fusions, Vegeta's death and Gohan's Mystic Level. Also Goku mentioned Buu to Janemba but Goku never heard of Buu until after the World Martial Arts Tournament!!!

Wrath of the Dragon: This is a great possibility of all of them. They had a 10 year peace period. Buu is already defeated, everyone is at the levels they needed to be at. Of the 13 movies, this one should make it.

The Bardock Story: Extremely possible, takes place before the events of DragonBall!!!

History of Trunks: Tells the story of Trunks past life in the future before he went back in time for his encounter with Cyborg Frieza and King Cold.

First_Tsurugi06
It would have made a bit more sense if Trunks hadn't of been in Bojack Unbound, though either way it can still easily fit better than any other movie.

Dialogue from Bulma confirms that Trunks came back form the future to check on things. In doing so he happned to get caught up in the tourney at the start.

Kento
Originally posted by atv2
Bio Broly: Took place during the tournament but they went on to fight Babadi and his crew, plus Goku was still around when the tournament was going on. At the they, show him back in Other World.
It took place after Buu was defeated not during the tournament. 18's coming to get the money Satan owed her for loosing the tournament. Originally posted by First_Tsurugi06
Dialogue from Bulma confirms that Trunks came back form the future to check on things. In doing so he happned to get caught up in the tourney at the start. Really? I missed that completely. Still would make more sense not to have Trunks in it though.

Endless Mike
First movie had Goku using the nyoi-bo yet he lost it somewhere in mid-Dragonball

Taleran
None of them

the only one you could try to work it for would be the most recent one with Vegeta's brother

DarkC
ALL OF ZEM

Endless Mike
Originally posted by Taleran
None of them

the only one you could try to work it for would be the most recent one with Vegeta's brother

I heard Toriyama wrote it

atv2
It took place after Buu was defeated not during the tournament. 18's coming to get the money Satan owed her for loosing the tournament. Really? I missed that completely. Still would make more sense not to have Trunks in it though.

If that was true, Goku shouldnt still be in other world, he should be on Earth at that time. (The ending shows Goku back in Other World)

Kento
Originally posted by atv2
If that was true, Goku shouldnt still be in other world, he should be on Earth at that time. (The ending shows Goku back in Other World) Hence a big part of why it's Non-canon. It can't take place during the tournament. They are back at Mr. Satan's house trying to get the money that he hasn't paid 18 yet for letting him win. It's after the tournament is over, and Satan is crowned the winner. Goten and Trunks don't even fuse so Buu probably never attacked in that universe.

Mr. Rhythmic
Yes he could. He does so against Trunks..

Actually, no he didn't.

Mr. Rhythmic
Yes he could. He does so against Trunks..

You're talking about the wrong film.

Mr. Rhythmic
I found out where "Dead Zone" fits(well, or if you count it, I do): A little while before the DBZ series. If anything, it should've been called "Dragonball The Movie" instead of "Z". It completely continues the last story of the first series, and can serve as an introduction to Kami.

yungz22
Originally posted by Mr. Rhythmic
I found out where "Dead Zone" fits(well, or if you count it, I do): A little while before the DBZ series. If anything, it should've been called "Dragonball The Movie" instead of "Z". It completely continues the last story of the first series, and can serve as an introduction to Kami. it cant fit because in this movie krillin already knew who gohan was whilee in the first DBZ episode nobody except for chi chi and goku knew who gohan was.

Mr. Rhythmic
it cant fit because in this movie krillin already knew who gohan was whilee in the first DBZ episode nobody except for chi chi and goku knew who gohan was.

Except that if you look at the fact that Krillin was already busy with fighting a villain, escaping the Dead Zone, and the long gap in between events, then it could work.
Oh, and you seem to forget the GARLIC JR. STORYLINE SEQUEL TO THE MOVIE.

Endless Mike
Which was a filler arc, which is also non-canon.

Anyway, I already mentioned the Nyoi-bo problem

Mr. Rhythmic
Which was a filler arc, which is also non-canon.

Now you're just being silly. It's IN THE SHOW AS A STORY ARC THAT CONNECTS STORIES. It's canon.

Endless Mike
No it's not. It wasn't in the manga at all.

King Kandy
Dead Zone is canon to the anime series, as is Bardock and History of Trunks. None are canon to the manga.

Mr. Rhythmic
No it's not. It wasn't in the manga at all.

So what ? It's not the Manga. It's the Anime show. And because it's not the same thing and the fact that its fillers still count as a part of the story, "Dead Zone" counts.

Endless Mike
No, since the anime is not canon, it's an adaptation of the manga. If you look a few threads below this one you'll see they are remaking the anime (Dragonball Kai) and removing most of the filler from the original

Mr. Rhythmic
No, since the anime is not canon, it's an adaptation of the manga.

The movies were made for the "Z" anime, and last time I checked, the manga was never called "Z", nor is it what is in the discussion. We are currently talking about the Anime, not the manga.
That's like saying Betty Brant dated Peter Parker in the movies and arguing they did because it was in the comic.

What does that have to do with Z canon? The films are Z movies, and the Garlic saga is of Z canon. "Kai" creates its own canon, which is why it's not called "Z".

Endless Mike
When the thread says "canon" I interpret that as "canon to the original source material".

You could say that the 3 Brolly movies are "canon" just because they are canon to each other, but I doubt that's what was meant by the OP.

Mr. Rhythmic
When the thread says "canon" I interpret that as "canon to the original source material".

Except that they are Dragonball Z movies.

And even then, "Dead Zone" still fits.

King Kandy
It really irks me how the discussions on this forum prevent use of the anime. Sure it's non-canon but by dismissing the filler without any discussion we miss plenty of interesting concepts that, while not present in the manga, probably wouldn't have been bad additions either.

-Better history of the saiyans
-Interesting villains
-More looks at characters "at home" moments

The guys do more than just fight nonstop. There are a lot of good ideas added to the anime, and sometimes it annoys me when none can be used in forum debates.

yungz22

You could say that the 3 Brolly movies are "canon" just because they are canon to each other, but I doubt that's what was meant by the OP.

you interperted that correctly that is what i mean

Kento
Originally posted by King Kandy
It really irks me how the discussions on this forum prevent use of the anime. Sure it's non-canon but by dismissing the filler without any discussion we miss plenty of interesting concepts that, while not present in the manga, probably wouldn't have been bad additions either.

-Interesting villains

The guys do more than just fight nonstop. There are a lot of good ideas added to the anime, and sometimes it annoys me when none can be used in forum debates. Better history of the saiyans?

Though yea I do agree with interesting villains..well other characters anyway. I like Tapion.

They can be used in forum debates..More so if it's a movie villain or something. Or you specifically address it as the anime version. But none of those are really related to canon which this thread asks for. And in the anime they have feats all over the place from Vegeta blasting a planet with two fingers yet having to charge Galic Gun, to the whole strength debate with them having trouble with a bus, yet Goten lifting a large dinosaur with ease, and training with 40 ton weights. Then you also get the people stating wrongly Gokou had trouble lifting a building when he didn't and it was trouble lifting half a city in GT. And Gokou knocking Super 17 around the world..which I'm not even sure if that's fact or just one of those things that just got spread around.

Mr. Rhythmic
Originally posted by King Kandy

-Interesting villains

The guys do more than just fight nonstop. There are a lot of good ideas added to the anime, and sometimes it annoys me when none can be used in forum debates.

Agreed. My favorite villains are in the films.

apocalypse1280
In my opinion, the only 2 movies that could be considered canon to the anime are 9 and 13. But like I said, "considered". They aren't canon to either the manga or the anime.

CashSquad
I have a question and need an answer.

ARE THE BARDOCK AND HISTORY OF TRUNKS MOVIE CANON?
they both have manga doesnt that make em cannon?

Bardock Movie: Yeah.

History of Trunks: Yeah.

Dead Zone: Fits in the 5 years between Dragon Ball and DBZ.

World's Strongest: No. Kaio-ken + Turtle Gi = Impossible.

Tree of Might: No, but this can be considered and alternate version of the fight with the Saiyans.

Lord Slug: No. Just no.

Cooler's Revenge: Following the original timeline where Goku dies of a heart virus, this fits in well. The only reason Goku didn't go SS from the start is because he was even with 4th Form Cooler, 5th Form Cooler probably beat his ass hard enough that he couldn't just go SS, or simply for dramatic effect.

Return of Cooler: Maybe. Following the original timeline, there were 3 years between Frieza coming to Earth (and being killed by Goku in this case) and the Androids appearing. Second, as said by Vegeta in the main timeline, becoming a Super Saiyan would've accelerated Goku succumbing to the heart virus. In the main timeline, Goku became a Super Saiyan for a short time against Trunks and then against Android 19. In the original timeline, Goku would become a Super Saiyan to kill Frieza & King Cold, beat Cooler, and fight him a 2nd time. He was a Super Saiyan for a combined longer time in the original timeline than in the main one, the effects came much faster.

Super 13: No, they would be too preoccupied with 17 % 18.

Broly 1: During the 10 days before the Cell Games. Not only was that stated in the Japanese version, that's the only logical time it could happen. As for Cell not sensing it, Broly was in a different galaxy.

Bojack: 3 years after Cell is killed. That was stated in the manga before Trunks killed Cell.

Broly 2: It's really close, but no. The only time it could've happened was before the tournament. However... Goten first met Goku at the tournament so how would he know Goten's name?

Bio-Broly: Not a shot in Hell.

Fusion Reborn: Not a blind shot in Hell.

Hildegarn: He's sooo close... but Akira Toriyama didn't create Hildegarn so whatever canonicity of that movie is nullified.

danteiscool
the only movies that could have been considered canon are, as was already pointed out, movies 8 and 9, and possibly 13. those at least can fit into the timeline of DBZ. there isn't much to dispute against them not being canon.

Esomark
The OVA released a couple of years back can fit into both canons despite not doing much for either storyline except that Vegeta has a younger brother we never knew about.

icecold707
the tv specials about bardock and trunks are cannon but i dont think anything else was intented to expand on the story or anything maybe if there was a special about friezas entire race you could consider it cannon but the cool(a)er movie ddnt make alota sense

cnorwood
explaination how movies could or couldnt be canon: caution it is long

movie 1: cannot be cannon, krillin already knows who gohan is, but in the anime/manga the day krillin and everyone else meets gohan, raditz appears and goku dies, besides that no other problems

movie 2: cannot be cannon, the fact that goku knows the kaioken means this would have to be after the vegeta saga. in the anime and manga right after the fight with vegeta, piccolo should be dead, and right after the fight gohan and krillin goes to namek, and goku was in a full body cast untill he got a senzu bean, by then he krillin and gohan were already on the way to namek

movie 3: the same reasons as movie 2, and also chaotzu, yamcha, and tien should be dead

movie 4: same reasons as movie 2, the ssj transformations is also kind of wierd, because by the time goku got back to earth, he could transform into a real ssj pretty easy (as seen with the "training" with trunks right when he comes back to earth)

movie 5: can be placed during the 3 years of training, but the fact that goku went ssj triggered by rage doesnt really make sense because again he could easily control it right when he came back to earth shown by his sword vs finger "fight" with trunks

movie 6: cannot fit; goku is a ssj and vegeta is a ssj while no one is surprised, dende is the gaurdian, which means that piccolo is the super namek, and gohan is in his younger form, which means this takes place right before they enter the room of spirit and time. practically they would be busy fighting cell because right after piccolo fights cell, vegeta and trunks are ascended ssj's, which vegeta is not in the movie

movie 7: cannot fit; the beginning of this movie and some of the conversation about gero implies this is after 17 and 18 are dead. goku, trunks, and vegeta, and trunks are all regular ssj's, and gohan is still in his form before the room of spirit and time, so im guessing their is no cell. plus trunks still has his sword which was broken by android 18 when the z warriors - goku fought 17&18

movie 8: can fit into the timeline; in the japanese dub it says that it takes place between the wait for the cell games, but the only problem is that goku and gohan were in their ssj training, while in this movie they were in their regular forms

movie 9: can fit into the timeline; sometime during the 7 year wait for cell, and trunks is there, as shown in the anime and manga, after he beat cell he went back to tell of his success

movie 10: can fit; you could put this between the training of the martial arts tournament because goku is still dead, and goten and trunks are ssj's, but the fact that goten knew of his dad is kinda wierd, but gohan did tell him stories.

movie 11: can fit; 18 is asking mr satan for her money, which could be after the buu saga, but its wierd that goku, gohan, or vegeta dont show up. but then again bio brolys power level could not be near the real broly

movie 12: cannot fit; goku and vegeta are dead, but goku talks about how janemba is stronger than buu, which would mean buu should be dead, but by that time goku had the old kais life, and vegeta got wished back to life

movie 13: can fit; could be placed after the buu saga, but it seems that the message of the story is how future trunks got his sword, which wouldnt make sense because kid trunks and future trunks had 2 completly different lives.

Bardock the father of goku: can fit; fits into the anime timeline and is considered by akira toryiama to be canon in the manga, because its his favorite movie. in fact toryiama put bardock in a panel in a re-release of the freiza saga.

the history of trunks: cannot fit; in the anime trunks' flashback shows that gohan died while him and gohan fought the androids, and in the manga trunks was already a ssj while training with gohan. while in the movie he turned ssj after gohan died

and thats how they fit or not fit

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.