Thoughts On Cameras?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

AngryManatee
I'm looking to upgrade to a Digital SLR-type camera for my trip to Monterey in August. Looking to spend less than $1,000. Any thoughts on good models? I was thinking the Canon Digital Rebel XSi. Anyone have any other recommendations? Should I look at any Nikon or Olympus models as alternatives? I'm more concerned about image quality as opposed to neat gizmos.

dadudemon
Originally posted by AngryManatee
I'm looking to upgrade to a Digital SLR-type camera for my trip to Monterey in August. Looking to spend less than $1,000. Any thoughts on good models? I was thinking the Canon Digital Rebel XSi. Anyone have any other recommendations? Should I look at any Nikon or Olympus models as alternatives? I'm more concerned about image quality as opposed to neat gizmos.

If you're looking for image quality as opposed to neat gizmos, then you should stick to good ol' analog.

Yes, I'm serious.

Here's a nice article:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/filmdig.htm

Read the whole damn thing.

If you decide on digital, let me know, and I'll give you some recomendations.

chomperx9
Originally posted by dadudemon
If you're looking for image quality as opposed to neat gizmos, then you should stick to good ol' analog.

Yes, I'm serious.

Here's a nice article:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/filmdig.htm

Read the whole damn thing.

If you decide on digital, let me know, and I'll give you some recomendations. digital is better so you dont have to pay to develop the film and digital will get you more pixels as well

dadudemon
Originally posted by chomperx9
digital is better so you dont have to pay to develop the film and digital will get you more pixels as well

False on both accounts.

There's no mon like dadudemon. Never contradict me when I make such assertive statements. It results in fail.

AngryManatee
I'd prefer to stick with digital. Mainly for the sake of simplicity.

chomperx9
False on both accounts.

There's no mon like dadudemon. Never contradict me when I make such assertive statements. It results in fail. oh wow im scared. everyone back off from master dadudemon or he will own you cause dadudemon knows best never question him or quote him cause hes above you right ?

laughing

and try explaining why they are false ?

digital supports a higher resolution which adds to more pixels
and digital cameras save there data in memory which can always be transfered to your computer so dont have to pay a dime at the pharmacy unlike analog recording and pictures you have to

Bardock42
False on both accounts.

There's no mon like dadudemon. Never contradict me when I make such assertive statements. It results in fail.

How is he wrong on the first? Or are you playing semantics?

dadudemon
oh wow im scared. everyone back off from master dadudemon or he will own you cause dadudemon knows best never question him or quote him cause hes above you right ?

laughing

and try explaining why they are false ?

I was....joking, bro. Surely you didn't think I was that arrogant or even serious?

But, yes, you're incorrect on both accounts.

And I don't have to explain why they are false on both accounts because you can just read what I posted. It lists the positves and negatives (no pun intended) including costs, simplicity, etc.

digital supports a higher resolution which adds to more pixels
and digital cameras save there data in memory which can always be transfered to your computer so dont have to pay a dime at the pharmacy unlike analog recording and pictures you have to

Not even close.

I have no idea where you got that from. But it is absurdly false.

You claim convenience, but that is in the eye of the beholder.

Originally posted by Bardock42
How is he wrong on the first? Or are you playing semantics?

The 35mm film from a cheap ass disposable camera costs way less than a digital camera. On top of that, it will provide better resolution than almost any digital camera (until you get into the surveying digital cameras.)

chomperx9
I was....joking, bro. Surely you didn't think I was that arrogant or even serious?

But, yes, you're incorrect on both accounts.

And I don't have to explain why they are false on both accounts because you can just read what I posted. It lists the positves and negatives (no pun intended) including costs, simplicity, etc.

Not even close.

I have no idea where you got that from. But it is absurdly false.

You claim convenience, but that is in the eye of the beholder.

The 35mm film from a cheap ass disposable camera costs way less than a digital camera. On top of that, it will provide better resolution than almost any digital camera (until you get into the surveying digital cameras.) so people who keep on buying film over and over for their analog cameras costs them less than a one time payment for a memory card for those with a digital camera ?

and again a digital signal transfers the data and can receive the data faster at a higher bit rate.

for example component video only gets you 1080p/24p max on any tv. you got a 60hz tv or above you would need a digital connection to go above 24 frames. HDMI supports up to 1080p/120p

Rogue Jedi
They like......take pics and stuff.

Bardock42

The 35mm film from a cheap ass disposable camera costs way less than a digital camera. On top of that, it will provide better resolution than almost any digital camera (until you get into the surveying digital cameras.)

Not what he was talking about though.

dadudemon
so people who keep on buying film over and over for their analog cameras costs them less than a one time payment for a memory card for those with a digital camera ?

and again a digital signal transfers the data and can receive the data faster at a higher bit rate.

for example component video only gets you 1080p/24p max on any tv. you got a 60hz tv or above you would need a digital connection to go above 24 frames. HDMI supports up to 1080p/120p
Instead of wasting your time replying to me, read the link, which was written by a professional photographer and writer.

There is not debate.

Simplicity and ease: digital.

Everything else: Analog.

jaden101
Amateurs will get better results with digital especially if you decide to go get prints done. Most photo processing labs are manned by complete idiots who no longer know how to develop film to a high standard. That's why the film camera experts who get great shots which tend to be far superior to what a digital camera would produce actually do the development themselves because they know what they're doing.

One of the big problems with digital is its tendancy to overload the white highlights of photos. When developing film the process is gradual and can be stopped at the right moment if you know what you're doing to get great results. Digital tends to go straight to 255 white.

Dadudemon is also correct about film having better resolution than digital but it only really becomes an issue one you're ordering very large prints.

Another thought is that if you're shit with a camera but good with picture altering programmes in order to manipulate contrasts and white balances after the picture is taken then go for digital.

For me, I'm still learning so I go with digital. As much as I would like to experiment with high quality film cameras and develop them myself, I just don't have time or money to set it up. Hopefully one day though.

Oh...and for the record...I use a Canon EOS450D

jinXed by JaNx
fuk digital cameras

dadudemon
Originally posted by jaden101
Amateurs will get better results with digital especially if you decide to go get prints done. Most photo processing labs are manned by complete idiots who no longer know how to develop film to a high standard. That's why the film camera experts who get great shots which tend to be far superior to what a digital camera would produce actually do the development themselves because they know what they're doing.

One of the big problems with digital is its tendancy to overload the white highlights of photos. When developing film the process is gradual and can be stopped at the right moment if you know what you're doing to get great results. Digital tends to go straight to 255 white.

Dadudemon is also correct about film having better resolution than digital but it only really becomes an issue one you're ordering very large prints.

Another thought is that if you're shit with a camera but good with picture altering programmes in order to manipulate contrasts and white balances after the picture is taken then go for digital.

For me, I'm still learning so I go with digital. As much as I would like to experiment with high quality film cameras and develop them myself, I just don't have time or money to set it up. Hopefully one day though.

Oh...and for the record...I use a Canon EOS450D

This post is full of intelligence. thumb up

Originally posted by jinXed by JaNx
fuk digital cameras

laughing

You know what's sad? I use digital cameras like they're going out of style. no expression It's like a pharmacists becoming addicted to drugs...

Bardock42
This post is full of intelligence. thumb up

laughing

You know what's sad? I use digital cameras like they're going out of style. no expression It's like a pharmacists becoming addicted to drugs...

You are selling digital cameras?

Robtard
Yes, Robtard comes through again with the most helpful and to the topic post. No need to thank him, it's what he's here for.

dadudemon
You are selling digital cameras?

Do all pharamcists sell pharmaceuticals?

AngryManatee
Well I got to test out a friend's Canon Rebel XSi (450d) with a base kit lens. I was very impressed, so I'll probably get that, but with the body only (the kit lens is pretty cheap-ass), and then buy a Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 separately. Total comes out to $866.00. Goodbye money sad

jinXed by JaNx

laughing

laughing laughing out loud

That's great. It's cool. Some digital Cameras take incredible pictures,without the requirement of a photo editing program. I used to shit on film until i actually learned how to develop pictures laughing out loud now i only use digital cameras when i don't feel like carrying around my lenses. If you've ever taken a photography class or spoken to someone who has you will have heard that it's not the camera but rather the person behind the camera. That's definitely true, so to each their own. The digital realm is just to expensive for me anymore. It seems like i was buying a new camera every six months. Now i just focus on lenses.

Bardock42
Do all pharamcists sell pharmaceuticals?

Are you licensed to prepare and sell cameras?

Captain REX
My camera is a piece of crap, but it's got shock protection (from being dropped) and water protection (up to 10ft). Nice for someone like myself.

dadudemon
Are you licensed to prepare and sell cameras?

Is there a requirement to be licensed to sell cameras, or is it a reference to the knowledge base?

jaden101
Originally posted by Robtard
Yes, Robtard comes through again with the most helpful and to the topic post. No need to thank him, it's what he's here for.

Well...That and anal rape.

AngryManatee
Well I bought the XSi and the 17-88mm lens. Can't wait to start snapping photos in Monterey ^_^

jaden101
Good choice. Not sure about the lens choice though. It's one of those weird size lenses that doesn't quite know what it wants to be. I suppose if you're taking a mix of shots of people and zoom shots then it'll do the job though.

I tend to switch a lot for those purposes though as i've got a 18-55mm and a 55-200mm as well as a canon 35mm F1.0 lens which cost a fortune but was worth it as it gave me the close up resolution that I needed during my forensic science course at university for fingerprints etc. I needed a lens that would work in low light but with high ISO values to get pin sharp detail. The lower the f-stop value the better and so I got the lowest possible.

To be honest though, while the lens goes up to f1.4 but there are other lenses that work better at that setting.

Also hoping to get the 85 f1.2 because i've read good reviews of it.

AngryManatee
Yeah It definitely sounded like the camera to get for the price range I was looking at. Although it's still a bit of a ball-crusher when I visit my parent's optometry clinic and see Canon EOS 5D's on their retinal photography machines *drool.* So close yet so far...

I mainly went for that lens because it got good reviews for being a good general purpose lens for running around, if you're only going to carry one lens. I'm hoping to get some specialized lenses in the future (I remember seeing one of those 35mm lenses for about $1200! Yikes!).

My first big outting with it is gonna be in August for the Monterey Historic Racing at Laguna Seca. Can't wait for the sights and sounds smile

jaden101
Yeah It definitely sounded like the camera to get for the price range I was looking at. Although it's still a bit of a ball-crusher when I visit my parent's optometry clinic and see Canon EOS 5D's on their retinal photography machines *drool.* So close yet so far...

I mainly went for that lens because it got good reviews for being a good general purpose lens for running around, if you're only going to carry one lens. I'm hoping to get some specialized lenses in the future (I remember seeing one of those 35mm lenses for about $1200! Yikes!).

My first big outting with it is gonna be in August for the Monterey Historic Racing at Laguna Seca. Can't wait for the sights and sounds smile

I've used my old university's 5D mk2 a few times...Complete with a 12 grand lens...Hard to take good pictures with a camera when your hands are shaking because of the cost of the equipment. stick out tongue

=Tired Hiker=

Monterey California? I used to live there. I miss that place so much. Make sure you drive along Seven Mile Drive, tons of photo ops there. Post your pics when you get back!

AngryManatee
Will do, most definitely!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.