SDCC 09 VIDEO: Dan DiDio Talks SUPERMAN

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

The Nuul
http://www.newsarama.com/common/media/video/player.php?aid=29588

Ummmm...erm

-Pr-
Originally posted by The Nuul
http://www.newsarama.com/common/media/video/player.php?aid=29588

Ummmm...erm

facepalm

Endless Mike
I don't see what's wrong, I like the new direction the Superman comics are taking. I especially like how a lot of the visual effects on New Krypton reference the movies, like the courtroom

-Pr-
Originally posted by Endless Mike
I don't see what's wrong, I like the new direction the Superman comics are taking. I especially like how a lot of the visual effects on New Krypton reference the movies, like the courtroom

the problem is that he's having it run until next year. that means no standard superman comics until then.

Galvaclaw
I've read a lot of standard Superman stories, it's nice to have a change of pace.

Philosophía
The good parts are that the characterization for Superman right now is top notch in World of New Krypton and the fact that new territories are explored with the introduction of the Kryptonians and it really feels like everything is building up twoards something big. Somewhere in-between is the fact that Superman appears in far too few monthly books compared to what he should be appearing (his main titles, Action Comics and Superman are without him, among others like JLA). The bad parts is that, like a participant at the panel complained, Superman is watered down -which could be understood because he is on a planet with characters of his powerlevel (which is another thing that doesn't make any sense, considering he's been exposed to the sun much longer than they were)-. Didn't the writers learn anything from stories like All-Star Superman, Final Crisis, Superman Beyond and such, who contain one of/the best Superman portrayals ever yet he is at his best power-wise ? The excuse of having Superman toned down because it's hard to find threats big enough for him is something I hear alot (and it annoys me because, if you are a writer, you must FIND those threats) but having everybody go "I'm almost as powerfull as Superman!" and even more, having characters who were supposed to be peers (like Barry) humiliate him is something stupid. Another complaint is that things are moving a bit too slow for my taste, a feeling that is further enhanced by what I already mentioned, which is the very few monthly appearances Superman has.

Endless Mike
I thought it was always acknowledged that Flash was faster than Supes.

Also the race was on the earth, Flashes can go as fast as they want on earth because of speedforce, but Superman can't without damaging it too much. His best speeds are when he is flying in space.

-Pr-

Philosophía
Originally posted by -Pr-
well that's the thing. as much as new krypton is good (though robinson's dialogue is piss poor at times and you can actually tell when it's rucka writing), we're still seeing something of a shortage of superman being superman.

i don't mind that they want to show us the adventures of superman related characters, but two whole books? you've got mon-el and guardian in superman, and we've got nightwing and flamebird in action. so we have "Commander El" rather than Superman. I do like this whole thing of seeing more of Krypton, but as you said, it does take away something when he's surrounded by Kryptonians and rarely shows his superiority. Granted, it is going somewhere, but i don't see why it has to take almost a year to do it...

Superman has 4 books. Action, Superman, S/B, and World of New Krypton. When he's only appearing in half of his monthly titles, i think something is very wrong, tbh.

I don't mind seeing more of the supporting cast, but i don't see why it has to be at the expense of Superman himself... shrug

I find Robinson to be one of the weakest Superman writers ever, but Rucka certainly makes up for it in WONK. (the fact that we have Robinson writing Superman in Justice League and Blackest Night: Superman makes me want to slap Didio)

They probably did this because they WANT us to feel this way. They want us to anticipate Superman coming back full force and everything that has been build up until now to explode into an event. That is a good approach tehnically but, the bad part is, it sucks for those of us who are slowly advancing twoards the climax, since we have to stand through very few Superman appearances where he is at anything but his God-like status (though, like I said, I like his characterization) while his main titls feels like they are a fill-in. Funnily enough, in the latest S/B he wasn't even featured (Robin and Supergirl were the main stars).

Right now, the bad parts far outweight the good ones, imo.

-Pr-

Philosophía
There's been some strong rumours of JMS writing a Superman title and though I really hope he'll take Robinson's place, this probably won't be happening, at least this year. Though I don't think JMS will write a powerfull Superman, he will most definitley sound like.. Superman.

A Mark Waid (Action Comics)/JMS (Superman) would be amazing (and since they both love the character, you know they'd instantly accept the offer to write the titles).

I'm still hoping that someday Grant Morrison will take a shot at writing one of Superman's ongoing titles like he did on Batman. It would be like a dream come true. He has the perfect balance of characterization/powerlevel/story.

-Pr-

-Pr-
If you haven't read World of New Krypton 6, don't click, spoilers.

Otherwise... BOOYAH! woot

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v655/pr1983/20-1.jpg

Allankles
If you haven't read World of New Krypton 6, don't click, spoilers.

Otherwise... BOOYAH! woot

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v655/pr1983/20-1.jpg

lol. I'm two issue behind, I think. WONK makes up for all of this. The only thing keeping from picking up Supergirl post Lane's death is Reactron, I just saw him in another pic in this interview.

That man has "horrible death" written all over him, and I'm not even talking about my dislike of the character, he's just one of those villains that inevitably get monumentally owned and killed in comical or extremely brutal fashion.

-Pr-
Originally posted by Allankles
lol. I'm two issue behind, I think. WONK makes up for all of this. The only thing keeping from picking up Supergirl post Lane's death is Reactron, I just saw him in another pic in this interview.

That man has "horrible death" written all over him, and I'm not even talking about my dislike of the character, he's just one of those villains that inevitably get monumentally owned and killed in comical or extremely brutal fashion.

laughing out loud you're probably right...

Avlon
well that's the thing. as much as new krypton is good (though robinson's dialogue is piss poor at times and you can actually tell when it's rucka writing), we're still seeing something of a shortage of superman being superman.

i don't mind that they want to show us the adventures of superman related characters, but two whole books? you've got mon-el and guardian in superman, and we've got nightwing and flamebird in action. so we have "Commander El" rather than Superman. I do like this whole thing of seeing more of Krypton, but as you said, it does take away something when he's surrounded by Kryptonians and rarely shows his superiority. Granted, it is going somewhere, but i don't see why it has to take almost a year to do it...

Superman has 4 books. Action, Superman, S/B, and World of New Krypton. When he's only appearing in half of his monthly titles, i think something is very wrong, tbh.

I don't mind seeing more of the supporting cast, but i don't see why it has to be at the expense of Superman himself... shrug

I haven't been keeping up with these arcs because they simply haven't been interesting me much. IMO, it would have been much more interesting if they would have used Eradicator, Superboy Conner, and Steel again as in the Reign of the Supermen arc. It would have given these characters some much needed exposure again.

-Pr-
Originally posted by Avlon
I haven't been keeping up with these arcs because they simply haven't been interesting me much. IMO, it would have been much more interesting if they would have used Eradicator, Superboy Conner, and Steel again as in the Reign of the Supermen arc. It would have given these characters some much needed exposure again.

at least we get to see conner in adventure comics...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.