NO WAY. Really, MM?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

HueyFreeman
http://comics.ign.com/articles/100/1007313p1.html

Premium
Holy shit.

A re-release and MM joining the Marvel Uni perhaps?

-Pr-
pray they don't balls it up. fingers crossed.

willRules
This was supposed to be the one that got away, too tied up legal mumbo jumbo to ever be back on track. I highly doubt the transaction was as simple as suggested in the article........

.......still if there's hope for MM then I guess it's possible for any character caught in legal problems yes You could say it's a Miracle laughing out loud

Although the news is significantly lessened if back issues are still just as hard to get......

Symmetric Chaos
Bets on how long until Alan Moore claims they're raping the character?

roughrider
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos

Alan Moore can STFU. He didn't create MM, so he has no say.
(On second thought, he'll probably complain anyway roll eyes (sarcastic) )

What does this mean for Sentry in MU? He is inspired by MM, afterall.

And does this mean name changing back to Miracleman?

Eternal Idol
Originally posted by -Pr-

My guess is, he is given the Sentry treatment, eventually replacing Sentry as Earth's "ultimate" hero.

Premium
Sentry goes crazy and MM WTF pwns him with ease. Then MM is pure win for the Universe IF he joins it.

Haven't even finished them all yet, may read a few tonight as its inspired me. Sig to!!

willRules

Alan Moore is the Prima donna of the comic book world. He can say what he wants but there's several places where he stick his comics if he gets hissy (again)

BruceSkywalker

you know they prolly will

Galan007
i will probably never understand why comic companies can't/won't just let a *true* classic character be. miracleman went out on top, and to this day he is regarded among the all time greatest characters ever. if marvel revives him, i'm sure he'll have a good run at the top for a while, but what can they really do besides ruin him in the end?

i'm not for this at all. thumb down

willRules
Originally posted by Galan007
i will probably never understand why comic companies can't/won't just let a *true* classic character be. miracleman went out on top, and to this day he is regarded among the all time greatest characters ever. if marvel revives him, i'm sure he'll have a good run at the top for a while, but what can they really do besides ruin him in the end?

That's assuming he's finite. If he's ongoing like many MU characters then he will have highs and lows like the rest of them. If you leave him as he is, sure you leave behind a great story and if he was supposed to be left alone from now on, we'll quickly find this out he hard way. But......if it's good........fans will still complain that it took this long to get to these great stories!

Not that I'm defending Marvel buying the character, but with comments like this, they can't win.

roughrider
I'm betting Neil Gaiman will be writing him. He's been leading the court case to get him back into publication for years. Now that MM can be published, I think he'll be damned if someone else does it.

And MM most likely gets his own Earth, with his history intact (as Marvel gets to publish the old stuff.)

Darth Macabre
Well, in other words, Marvel finally got their Superman.

xJLxKing
Another Superman copy stick out tongue I think so

Premium
Originally posted by xJLxKing
Another Superman copy stick out tongue I think so Accept an interesting Superman.

roughrider
Or more like a Captain Marvel crossed with the Silver Surfer.

Wei Phoenix
Originally posted by roughrider
Alan Moore can STFU. He didn't create MM, so he has no say.
(On second thought, he'll probably complain anyway roll eyes (sarcastic) )

What does this mean for Sentry in MU? He is inspired by MM, afterall.

And does this mean name changing back to Miracleman?

No MM is Sentry's father and the real ultimate hero they've been talking about this whole time, everyone thought it was Sentry because they look just alike.

Digi
i will probably never understand why comic companies can't/won't just let a *true* classic character be.

It's a business. They have artists trying to create wonderful stories, yes. But from a company standpoint, they want money. Neil Gaiman fighting for MM is great, but he wouldn't have had Marvel's backing if there wasn't a monetary well to be mined. No amount of philosophical reasoning will undo that.

And to be clear, I agree with you wholeheartedly. Recapturing the "magic" of a classic character won't be possible, at least not for long. I'll look forward to this, however, just because it seems less futile than being upset.

Symmetric Chaos

As someone once said of Star Wars: "no matter how bad the new things or changes may be they can never really the parts you loved away from you."

Personally I just find this impractical. Character's like MiracleMan just don't fit into the worlds of "mainstream" comic. DC could have put him in Vertigo and never looked back but Marvel seems like it will inevitably have him interacting with characters he's terribly incompatable with.

No matter what I think this will be interesting.

willRules
As someone once said of Star Wars: "no matter how bad the new things or changes may be they can never really the parts you loved away from you."

Personally I just find this impractical. Character's like MiracleMan just don't fit into the worlds of "mainstream" comic. DC could have put him in Vertigo and never looked back but Marvel seems like it will inevitably have him interacting with characters he's terribly incompatable with.

No matter what I think this will be interesting.

So it's definitely within mainstream continuity???????

roughrider
Originally posted by willRules

I'm guessing no. He'll start out in his own continuity( like Supreme Power/Squadron Supreme), with all of his past history intact, and maybe he'll cross over to Earth-616 evntually.

Breast Feeder
Hopefully, they will reprint the Moore and Gaiman work. Gaiman will finish the Silver and Dark ages respectively then they can do what the hell they want as a reboot. If they have any sense they will treat the Moore Gaiman work as seperate to any re-imagining that they want to do. Otherwise they will indeed have ****ed it up.

willRules
I'm guessing no. He'll start out in his own continuity( like Supreme Power/Squadron Supreme), with all of his past history intact, and maybe he'll cross over to Earth-616 evntually.

Makes sense yes

jalek moye
you know marvels wants him to have him in 616, they realize the money they can make by fans seeing him interact with the mainstream

roughrider
Originally posted by jalek moye
you know marvels wants him to have him in 616, they realize the money they can make by fans seeing him interact with the mainstream

True - I believe it'll happen eventually. Seeing so many of the heroes and villains stopping to think, "Who's that? And why is he just pwning everyone?" big grin

Darth Macabre
True - I believe it'll happen eventually. Seeing so many of the heroes and villains stopping to think, "Who's that? And why is he just pwning everyone?" big grin "Wait, he kind of looks like Sentry...except, why is he beating me senseless?"

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by willRules

Probably not but I don't think Marvel will be able to keep him out of it for very long.

tjcoady
It's really, really unlikely we'll see Miracleman in the MU.

Hopefully, we'll get reprints of Moore/Gaiman stuff that is just IMPOSSIBLE to find, and Gaiman will take up where he left off, finishing his planned, three part run he only got to do the first part of.

-V-
Never read it. (before my time)

Heard some great things about it, a certain banned user championed the character after all, so I'm in the middle of downloading it as we speak.

tjcoady
Originally posted by -V-

Heard some great things about it, a certain banned user championed the character after all, so I'm in the middle of downloading it as we speak.

Yeah, came out years before my time, too- it's one of the three times I've broken my "no downloading comics" rule, because it's not available in trade and buying the individual issues is going to set you back a couple hundred bucks.

roughrider
Originally posted by -V-

Yes. I think Whirlysplat would be a happy man right now, knowing MM is getting the spotlight again.

Enyalus
I have zero faith in Marvel's competence, currently. And I don't see a single full time Marvel writer they have that wouldn't screw him up, with the possible exception of Peter David.

If they can get Moore or Gaimon, cool. Otherwise, I'm with Galan. The move = thumb down

WhoopeeDee
I'm with Enyalus on this one.....(but that's because we're talking Marvel, and you guys know my feelings)...anywhoo, this most likely will end up in three ways....

One as zombie.

Two as a Skrull.

Three zOMG! HE'S FIGTH RED HULK AND RED HULK SMAAASH WITH PUNY MIRAKLES!!!! OOOOH FANBOYS GO WHEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!

Pick one.

HueyFreeman
The problem is MM is at a higher standard than over 90 % percent of comic books. Only Gaimen is someone I feel is fit to right it. Moore is out, we will never see him come to marvel for this. Problem is knowing my luck, might find out Loeb is taking over the series.

willRules
Originally posted by -V-

I think Whirly came back a couple of times only to get banned some more yes

Doctor-Alvis
Originally posted by jalek moye
As a stupid, casual fan of comics, I find this to be an unwise move. I've never heard of this guy before and, from skimming his bio, I immediately think he's a knock off of Captain Marvel. True, a good story from a good writer can turn a boring ass cucumber into a sweet ass pickle, but that's going to be one tough hump to get over.

-V-
Originally posted by Doctor-Alvis
As a stupid, casual fan of comics, I find this to be an unwise move. I've never heard of this guy before and, from skimming his bio, I immediately think he's a knock off of Captain Marvel. True, a good story from a good writer can turn a boring ass cucumber into a sweet ass pickle, but that's going to be one tough hump to get over.

It's a lot different than that actually.

An alien crash lands in England in the 50s, which the brittish air force (headed up by a former nazi scientist) procures and onboard is an alien that can change forms much like Captain Marvel can; so the government abduct orphaned children of former Air Force pilots and experiments upon them, implementing them with the same powers as the aliens. For seven years the nazi uses comic book storylines (Captain Marvel comics are visible in several panels) and pumps them into their brain to make them believe they'd got their power from a Shazam like being.

Then they decide they've out-lived their usefulness and decide to try and kill them, which results in Miracleman forgetting he's Miracleman and Young Miracleman's presumably killed, leaving Kid Miracleman to turn evil without anyone to keep him in check.

It's a really dark book actually, but beautifully written.

I agree that Gaiman should be the only one allowed to touch this however.

Dark Whirly

willRules
laughing

Laughing @, not with

Marquis Whirly

psycho gundam
i hope they put it under the marvel max banner, the MM book was gory. guys got gibbed in fights (warpsmith pwned some dude with a girder through the torso iirc and a slab of junk in the dome)

roughrider
Originally posted by psycho gundam
i hope they put it under the marvel max banner, the MM book was gory. guys got gibbed in fights (warpsmith pwned some dude with a girder through the torso iirc and a slab of junk in the dome)

Yeah. MM inspired MAX books like Supreme Power, with it's extreme violence and complicated morality questions. Though if Gaiman writes it, it won't go that far in that direction. He's not into overviolence.

tjcoady
Originally posted by Doctor-Alvis

He IS Captain Marvel- licensing rights made them change his name from Marvelman into Miracleman- he was a cheap knock off of Cap, until Alan Moore (and later, Neil Gaiman) wrote a pretty fantastic series about him.

There is zero chance we're going to see him interact with the regular MU. Gaiman has been saying for years that he wanted to finish what he'd he'd started about him, before the ridiculous copyrights imbroglio.

tjcoady
Yeah. MM inspired MAX books like Supreme Power, with it's extreme violence and complicated morality questions. Though if Gaiman writes it, it won't go that far in that direction. He's not into overviolence.

...Did you read the Gaiman issues of Miracleman?

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by tjcoady

You mean the series that focused on Andy Warhol and didn't have every person in London individually torn apart?

tjcoady
You mean the series that focused on Andy Warhol and didn't have every person in London individually torn apart?

The Andy Warhol issue was freaking fantastic.

Yet the Moore-ultraviolence is nothing compared to the emotional violence of issues like the Spy-city one, or the "climbing to the top of Olympus" one.

Plus, Gaiman's "Marvelman: Dark Age" was billed as basically a fight between Marvelman and Kid Marvelman destroying the earth. So if Gaiman picks up where he left off, then we have plenty of violence to look forward to.

Galan007
Plus, Gaiman's "Marvelman: Dark Age" was billed as basically a fight between Marvelman and Kid Marvelman destroying the earth. So if Gaiman picks up where he left off, then we have plenty of violence to look forward to. i always thought of kid marvelman as somewhat akin to superboy prime - but they could have picked a better name for him than "dicky" srsly. regardless, a fight between them would be quite spectacular, to say the least.

but i am curious if his former death at the hands of fury will be acknowledged, or disregarded?:
http://www.turboimagehost.com/p/1934042/fury1.jpg.html

roughrider

No. It's just my twenty plus observation of his work, that he pulls back on the violence more than Moore. (Moore does it for a reason, though; to disturb us.)

willRules
Because I never thought I'd get hold of this series, I read it by other internet based means.......and was very disappointed. Didn't enjoy Moore's or Gaiman's issues. I have a ton of respect for their work, but I really didn't enjoy the series. It felt a little too flowery for me.It was very expository and for a Superman-esque character like Marvelman/Miracleman, that can get a little tedious after a few issues.

It was interesting to read cos it's the story that, up until now, was the one that got away. But judging the stories purely on their own merits, I wasn't too happy with them. Art was good. Interesting to see early Alan Davis work as he's one of my favourite artists but I prefer his later stuff.

whostheking
I don't like the name Marvelman. Should make it Miracleman again.

Bentley
I don't get how you didn't like this series Will, their narrative style is pretty damn good. They didn't reinvent the wheel, but they threw in nice concepts.

Bentley
So... Anyone is getting the new MM books?

Badabing
Originally posted by Bentley
So... Anyone is getting the new MM books? Are they out?

Bentley
Nah, according to solicits the first actually new additions to the mythos come until July.

dmills
Give it to Mr. Brubaker. He'd do MM justice. The man has hit nothing but home runs the last 8 years or so. IMO of course.

roughrider
So by now that one-shot, plus the first collected edition should have come out. Anybody seen them, or picked them up?

Bentley
The ones I've seen are mostly silver-agish advetures of sort, not really bad but you need to be into that thing, they are reprints but the original must be pretty hard to come by, so good enough.

willRules
Originally posted by Bentley
I don't get how you didn't like this series Will, their narrative style is pretty damn good. They didn't reinvent the wheel, but they threw in nice concepts.

I liked that his sidekick was the villain. I thought it brought gore in comics to a level I'd never seen before, but it just wasn't my sort of story. I was expecting something slightly more sophisticated from Alan Moore and it didn't meet my epectations.

I'm starting to think the hype was unfortunately from the legal status of the title and not from the quality of the storylines, but hey, to each their own. smile

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.