Top 5 Metal Singers

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Ultimate Wil
I just want metal singers, who are the top 5 metal singers you've ever heard?

5. Serj Tankian
4. Dave Mustaine
3. Bruce Dickinson
2. Ozzy Osbourne
1. Rob Halford

occultdestroyer
I'll list 10 just for the heck of it:

10. Cristian Machado
9. David Draiman
8. Anders Friden
7. Jeffrey Hatrix
6. Jonathan Davis
5. Benji Webbe
4. Serj Tankian
3. Christian Alvestam
2. Howard Jones
1. Rob Halford (you nailed it there)

Ultimate Wil
I've only heard of 2, and they're in my top 5, but good list, I'll have to hear some of their voices. Good list though, at least somebody agrees that Rob is the best. headbang

occultdestroyer
Originally posted by occultdestroyer
I'll list 10 just for the heck of it:

10. Cristian Machado
9. David Draiman
8. Anders Friden
7. Jeffrey Hatrix
6. Jonathan Davis
5. Benji Webbe
4. Serj Tankian
3. Christian Alvestam
2. Howard Jones
1. Rob Halford (you nailed it there)
Shit!
How did I forget about Chester Bennington?!

I would rank him above Serj Tankian. Extremely good live performer.

wicker_man

occultdestroyer

occultdestroyer
MbkDV6pc0Vs

Scar Symmetry had to replace Christian Alvestam with 2 vocalists.
One is for growls, the other for clean vocals.
Yes, you got that right, 2 freakin vocalists!! And Christian Alvestam does it better than them.
THAT'S how good Alvestam is.

Scar Symmetry will never be the same..
New lead vocalist should ditch that 80-ish power metal pitch. It doesn't fit well with Scar Symmetry.

Amusei
Randy Blythe from lamb of god, Corpsegrinder of Cannibal Corpse, Alexi laiho of children Of Bodom, Phil Anselmo of Pantera, Devin Townsend

wicker_man
Christian Alvestam was more versatile in Scar Symmetry than he was in Solution .45

The accompanying bands refer to their (the singers) current musical units as opposed to musical zenith (IMO). If that were the case I'd have put:

Chris Barnes - Cannibal Corpse, I find SFU far to melodic/groovy in places for his vocal prowess.

Thomas Gabriel Fischer - Celtic Frost, cliched choice but meh there's no denying their musical markings on the extreme metal scene, and personally I think that's down (a fair bit) to Fischers vocals.

And early era Nick Holmes - Bit of a cheat as he's still in Paradise Lost but his early vocal inputs made Paradise Lost a staple of the metal genre, although their will be the purists who like their Doom metal progression.

Ultimate Wil
Originally posted by Amusei
Randy Blythe from lamb of god, Corpsegrinder of Cannibal Corpse, Alexi laiho of children Of Bodom, Phil Anselmo of Pantera, Devin Townsend

All of these vocalists SUCK!

The Grey Fox
Wow. Wil, maybe you should stop judging things as fact by your personal preference. Do you know how hard it is to sing like said vocalists do? If you've never tried, you can't really say anything. It takes a lot of skill and effort to sing as they do, you know.

Not to mention that even by your way of thinking, Randy Blythe's singing is totally coherant; and far better than most other metal singers today.

Ultimate Wil
Why would I want to hear growling for singing? It sucks.

wicker_man
Originally posted by Ultimate Wil
Why would I want to hear growling for singing? It sucks.

Because when it's done correctly it's a beautiful sight to behold. It takes alot of skill to pull off and maintain.

Ultimate Wil
It doesn't take skill to make a growl type of voice. I went up to my friend and started doing it, and I said I'm in a death metal band, he laughed. No skill is required to growl and scream.

AverageSavage
Greg Pucation (Dillinger Escape Plan)
Phil Anselmo (Pantera)
Troy Sanders (Mastodon)
Jens Kidman (Meshuggah)
Howard Jones (Killswitch Engage)

personal favs.

doywonder
It doesn't take skill to make a growl type of voice. I went up to my friend and started doing it, and I said I'm in a death metal band, he laughed. No skill is required to growl and scream. You're an idiot. I could go up to my friend, start singing normally and say "look, I'm in a normal rock band". By your reasoning, it takes no skill to sing normally, either, does it?

Do you know how powerfully death/black metal singers have to push their voice to make the sounds they make? I'm learning to myself, and just to get used to it, you have to really project your voice from the bottom of your stomach to do it. It hurts like hell for people starting off. And for someone to learn to be able to do it, really loud, at any given point, takes determination and skill.

I understand that you don't like death metal, but can you at least respect other's opinions and tastes and stop blasting the entire genre? It's quite sad and pathetic, it's not hard to decry something as 'shit', especially when you're an unlearned little 14-year-old brat with undeveloped tastes.

Grow up and learn to accept other people's tastes. Don't insult music just because you don't like you boring little cretin. Not to mention YOU started this thread, so you can't just ask for people's opinions and then just tell them that they're wrong.

Thank you.

- The Grey Fox

wicker_man

Ultimate Wil
It just made a growl sound w00t I'm a death metal singer. It sucks, it's just noise, nothing else.

wicker_man
It just made a growl sound w00t I'm a death metal singer. It sucks, it's just noise, nothing else.

Shows how much you know.

occultdestroyer
Originally posted by AverageSavage
Greg Pucation (Dillinger Escape Plan)

You mean Greg Puciato

occultdestroyer
It takes tremendous skill to pull off a scream/growl correctly..
If your throat hurts, you ain't doing it correctly.

And besides, not all death metal bands utilize the scream only. Especially Melodeath bands.

Take Christian Alvestam for example.. he does both clean singing and growling synchronously. Or Chester Bennington of Linkin Park (nu metal band, but uses clean singing and screaming). Both vocalists are extremely good, if not better than the studio version, when they perform live.
Most bands with a lesser degree of talent however utilize two vocalists.

jaden101
Is that yet another in the long list of ridiculous and pointless metal sub-genres?

occultdestroyer
Originally posted by jaden101
Is that yet another in the long list of ridiculous and pointless metal sub-genres?
Short for Melodic Death Metal.

ie. At The Gates, In Flames, Amon Amarth, Scar Symmetry

Ultimate Wil
I just don't like it, just noise, nothing else. Who cares if someone can do it correctly, it still sucks.

wicker_man
I just don't like it, just noise, nothing else. Who cares if someone can do it correctly, it still sucks.

Well if it is noise, it's noise I doubt even you could pull of and maintain without being boo'ed off the stage.

I dislike Rap and Hip Hop but I don't deny there's a level of talent in what they do.

occultdestroyer
That's like saying Rob Halford's screams is just noise erm

butwhy
It just made a growl sound w00t I'm a death metal singer. It sucks, it's just noise, nothing else. Is that all you do? You ignore all our valid points and just say the same thing again? Seriously?

Shows how much of a musical genius you are, kid.

Seriously, note to everyone: Don't bother trying to talk to this guy. He's a naive little brat who thinks he knows it all.

- The Grey Fox

Ultimate Wil
That's like saying Rob Halford's screams is just noise erm

You can understand him, biggggggggggggggg difference. Not my thing the growling, the end.

Ultimate Wil
Originally posted by butwhy
Is that all you do? You ignore all our valid points and just say the same thing again? Seriously?

Seriously, note to everyone: Don't bother trying to talk to this guy. He's a naive little brat who thinks he knows it all.

- The Grey Fox

clapping HEY TGF I see now why you were banned. laughing out loud

occultdestroyer
You can understand him, biggggggggggggggg difference. Not my thing the growling, the end.
sXktCbZzh8E

Listen to this song (don't worry, it's not noisy music)..
Without the growls, do you honestly think this song would be better than it is without them?

wicker_man
I've heard of Demon Hunter but never checked 'em out till then, pretty good actually (for a Christian metal band wink )

Anyways back on topic, whilst I have alot of respect for Serj Tankian he's not the easiest of vocalists to understand - especially when you listein to early System.

Personally I think Dave Musatine whilst a good guitarist is a mundane singer but then again even in the early, early days of Megadeth they had another singer which goes to show he probably never wanted to be a singer.

Listein to these guys and try telling me this isn't talent, and I at least can understand what he's saying - be it in clean or diry vocal capacity.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqcBD2oiEH8

occultdestroyer
^
thumb up love Opeth.

I find it hard to headbang or mosh to any of their songs, though laughing out loud

Ultimate Wil
@occultdestroyer, the growling just isn't my thing, i don't give a shit if it takes alot of skill to perfect it, it still isn't my thing. Okay, Rob yelling is totally different because Rob is ****ing awesome dude.

Scythe
I retired from music not too long ago, and I used to do Deathmetal screaming. It's really hard to do, especially so many night in a row. I find it hard to concentrate on screaming and playing lead guitar at the same time. Everything is so distracting, but luckily the band and I also played some Ska songs which broke up the usual routine. I have high respect to people who can pull of insane vocals. Skindred's reggae singer can pull some neat stuff in their songs.

Ultimate Wil
Originally posted by butwhy
Is that all you do? You ignore all our valid points and just say the same thing again? Seriously?

- The Grey Fox

Oh this is coming from the guy who hates AC/DC, lame-o

Tattoos N Scars
Personally, I do like the 'screamo" music of groove metal bands..and some of the growls of death metal bands.

However, I do appreciate clean vocals.

I'll have to hand it to a lot of the hair bands..most of the lead singers had great voices.

Sebastian Back(skid row)
jani lane(warrant)
lead singer for Steelheart(can't recall his name)

Chris Cornell(Soundgarden)
Eddie Vedder(Pearl Jam)

mrksem454
Well, My favourites metal singers are
5. Serj Tankian
4. Dave Mustaine
3. Bruce Dickinson
2. Ozzy Osbourne and
1. Rob Halford

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.