The Last of the Mohicans vs The Last Samurai

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Nightstick
Multiple scenarios. Note the version of "The Last of the Mohicans" in use is the one that stared Daniel Day-Lewis

1) Chingachgook vs Katsumoto. In the arena from "Gladiator". Chingachgook gets his club and knife. Katsumoto gets his dual swords. Katsumoto is in his robes not in his armor and Chingachgook is in the clothes he wore threw out the movie?

2) Nathan Algren vs Nathanial Poe. Same arena. Algren in robes wielding his dual swords. Poe in normal attire with his tomahawk and knife?

3) Chingachgook, Uncas, and Poe vs Katsumoto, Nabutada, and Algren. In the woods from the begining of "Gladiator" begining a hundred meters apart. Hidden from view of each other. With standered weapons and gear. So Algren and Katsumoto have their armor and swords, Nabutado has his armor, swords, and bow. The Mohicans have their axes/clubs, knives, guns, and well clothes?

Rogue Jedi
Chingachgook was the older Mohican, right?

Kaibs
The Samurai win because of sheer skill alone. Samurai were way more well trained than the Mohicans

Darth Martin
Where's Ujio?

Rogue Jedi
Kinda split on this one.

roughrider
The Last Of The Mohicans is a better film, certainly.

Rogue Jedi
No doubt on that.

Quincy
Team Samurai takes the victory the tourney. The Mohicans are much more savage and wild, their fighting styles less refined. They win most of their fights throughout the films through ambush, and wild confusion. The Samurai's fighting abilities in the film were ridiculous, with Nathan Algren taking out multiple people at once, their fighting is too refined.

Originally posted by Rogue Jedi
No doubt on that.

I disagree.

roughrider
Originally posted by Nightstick
Multiple scenarios. Note the version of "The Last of the Mohicans" in use is the one that stared Daniel Day-Lewis

1) Chingachgook vs Katsumoto. In the arena from "Gladiator". Chingachgook gets his club and knife. Katsumoto gets his dual swords. Katsumoto is in his robes not in his armor and Chingachgook is in the clothes he wore threw out the movie?

2) Nathan Algren vs Nathanial Poe. Same arena. Algren in robes wielding his dual swords. Poe in normal attire with his tomahawk and knife?

3) Chingachgook, Uncas, and Poe vs Katsumoto, Nabutada, and Algren. In the woods from the begining of "Gladiator" begining a hundred meters apart. Hidden from view of each other. With standered weapons and gear. So Algren and Katsumoto have their armor and swords, Nabutado has his armor, swords, and bow. The Mohicans have their axes/clubs, knives, guns, and well clothes?

Not fully sure on 1 and 3, but I'll take Hawkeye (especially this version) over Algren anyday.

BruceSkywalker
Samurai are skilled warriors which was shown in the film..

Team Samurai takes it

Robtard
1) I don't know, that rolling Indian rear attack was pretty bad-ass, the Samurai wouldn't be expecting that. Probably Samurai though.

2) Tom Cruz just looked like a turd in this film, I'd go with the white-Indian, as he's had far more training with his weapons.

3) The Indians surely win, they're in their element and they have a gun advantage.

Also, Magua should be in this, he was one of the better fighters.

Rogue Jedi
Gonna go with the injuns. And yeah, Magua should definitely be here.

Robtard
Originally posted by Rogue Jedi
Gonna go with the injuns. And yeah, Magua should definitely be here.

Also, Dude, 'injun' is not the preferred nomenclature. Native-American, please.

Rogue Jedi
Funny, I was watching that just now.

Nightstick
Originally posted by Quincy
Team Samurai takes the victory the tourney. The Mohicans are much more savage and wild, their fighting styles less refined. They win most of their fights throughout the films through ambush, and wild confusion. The Samurai's fighting abilities in the film were ridiculous, with Nathan Algren taking out multiple people at once, their fighting is too refined.

Actually the Mohicans/Native Americans had martial arts forms of their own. Including those that incorperate knife and tomahawk. In other words both groups had fighting styles that had been developed over hundreds/thousands of years. Not to mention refined doesn't always win the day. Their are lots of cases in real life where brawler kicks the tar out of Karateka's and the like. The Mohicans took on multiple opponent in head on fights several times in the movie. It just didn't take as long to get threw them as the Samurai.

Kaibs
Actually the Mohicans/Native Americans had martial arts forms of their own. Including those that incorperate knife and tomahawk. In other words both groups had fighting styles that had been developed over hundreds/thousands of years. Not to mention refined doesn't always win the day. Their are lots of cases in real life where brawler kicks the tar out of Karateka's and the like. The Mohicans took on multiple opponent in head on fights several times in the movie. It just didn't take as long to get threw them as the Samurai.

Dude if you're seriously trying to say that the Mohicans trained as much as the Samurai you're insane... the Samurai's training started since they were young, and they were formed to fight and fight only.

Quincy
Originally posted by Robtard
2) Tom Cruz just looked like a turd in this film, I'd go with the white-Indian, as he's had far more training with his weapons.

I dont know about that man. I mean, Algren was a Captain level soldier, and a born warrior essentially. Able to take out 4 men who ambushed him, starting off with no weapon. It'd be hard to take out a samurai with two swords with not but a tomahawk and knife. Especially in a place with no cover and everything.

Robtard
Originally posted by Quincy
I dont know about that man. I mean, Algren was a Captain level soldier, and a born warrior essentially. Able to take out 4 men who ambushed him, starting off with no weapon. It'd be hard to take out a samurai with two swords with not but a tomahawk and knife. Especially in a place with no cover and everything.

Give Algren his sabre or pistol, I'd give him a great chance. With a katana though, something he's had relatively little training in(he was ackward with in on screen), I'd go with Poe.

Poe also has the range advantage, as he can throw either tomohack or knife, if need be.

Quincy
Originally posted by Robtard
Give Algren his sabre or pistol, I'd give him a great chance. With a katana though, something he's had relatively little training in(he was ackward with in on screen), I'd go with Poe.

Poe also has the range advantage, as he can throw either tomohack or knife, if need be.

Well if you mean he was awkward with it up against a fully trained Samurai before he even started his training, thats a bit unfair to say - as he's not fighting at that level now. He showed enough proficency to disarm and slay 4 attacking assassins starting unarmed. Taking out the Ninja Assassins back in Katsumoto's village was no small feat either.

As for the Range, He would only really have to dodge Costner's weapons once, and he's shown dodging Arrows in his opening battle against the Samurai, as well as Shuriken.

Robtard
Just watched the ninja scene; still saying Algren isn't as impressive as Poe. Though my initial assessment of Algren was a bit unfair.

Masumoto, Ujio and a few of the others did a whole lot of bad-assery though.

Edit: I forgot how much ridiculous damage Algren can take and survive, he wins on that alone.

Nightstick
Originally posted by Kaibs
Dude if you're seriously trying to say that the Mohicans trained as much as the Samurai you're insane... the Samurai's training started since they were young, and they were formed to fight and fight only.

For the record as Mohican warriors I'm quite sure that they trained from youth in the ways of combat. Not to mention the Samurai followed Bushido. Which consituted a lot more then sword play. Poetry that doesn't rhime and floral arrangment aren't exactly usefull in combat after all.

Kaibs
For the record as Mohican warriors I'm quite sure that they trained from youth in the ways of combat. Not to mention the Samurai followed Bushido. Which consituted a lot more then sword play. Poetry that doesn't rhime and floral arrangment aren't exactly usefull in combat after all.

Agreed they did do other things like philosphy, but that was in DOWN time in what very LITTLE downtime they got. You also have to take into consideration.... they were trained in Kendo.... which well is in its on right on a level of badass.

Quincy

Bushido = "The Way of the Warrior" wink

I hope you aren't bundling Japanese culture (what with the Haiku's) with the Way of the Samurai.

Robtard
Nightstick is still correct, being a warrior to the Japanese (samurai) wasn't just about practicing sword-play and battle formations all day long, it was a code of conduct, which included poetry, mediation, spiritual lessons etc.

Quincy
Too true.

Same goes for the Mohicans.

BruceSkywalker
good points guys..

Rogue Jedi
Cool stuff:

http://www.pitt.edu/~blair1/hagakure.html

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.