The Hobbit (2011 - 2012)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

roughrider
For a two-film series shot back to back, they should be news about casting soon. Here's a recent blurb:

On 17 July 2009, The Daily Telegraph reported that David Tennant is being tipped to play Bilbo Baggins. The Doctor Who star leads a list of other actors, including James McAvoy and Daniel Radcliffe, who have also been linked to the role.

Young Bilbo is the most crucial role to be cast. Besides those names, I'd like to throw in Tom Hollander from the Pirates Of The Caribbean sequels, for his resemblance to a young Ian Holm.

Incanus
Ohohohohohohohoh, hav a big guy be Tom, and bigger guy be Gert, and an even, get this, BIGGER guy to play WILL!!!!

Jk, i dont care whwo plays them.

roughrider
Originally posted by Incanus
Ohohohohohohohoh, hav a big guy be Tom, and bigger guy be Gert, and an even, get this, BIGGER guy to play WILL!!!!

Jk, i dont care whwo plays them.

Huh...pass the pipe already... stick out tongue

Hewhoknowsall
Will the same guy play Gandalf?

Incanus
Ian MacKellan? Idk. Most likely, he is the only Gandalf around........ Wait, it was Ian MacKellan, right? or was that Saruman......

coolmovies
Its not true they havent casted anyone yet and David Tennant?? in your dreams mate

roughrider
Originally posted by coolmovies
Its not true they havent casted anyone yet and David Tennant?? in your dreams mate

He's the biggest name out there. Not a terrible idea, but... erm

ares834
Ian MacKellan? Idk. Most likely, he is the only Gandalf around........ Wait, it was Ian MacKellan, right? or was that Saruman......
It's Sir Ian McKellen, and yes he plays Gandalf. I hope he reprises his role. Saruman was played by Sir Christopher Lee AKA Count Dooku.

Incanus
COUNT DOOKU IS SARUMAN?!?!? So THATS why he could fling Gandalf across a room...............

Robtard
Originally posted by Hewhoknowsall
Will the same guy play Gandalf?

McKellen has said he's reprising the role.

Robtard
COUNT DOOKU IS SARUMAN?!?!? So THATS why he could fling Gandalf across a room...............

Gandalf is Magneto though, so he should have been able to stop it via flying.

Incanus
Nah, the power of magnetism dosnt comare to the power of the force.

roughrider
Originally posted by Robtard
Gandalf is Magneto though, so he should have been able to stop it via flying.

That would have been a funny in joke, having Lee & McKellen flip back and forth between their two genre characters when they fought. laughing out loud

Morgromir
its gonna suck if Ian mckellen doesnt play as gandalf it wont be the same =(

Incanus
Yeah, I will pewrsonally beat the **** out of the writers if Ian Mackellan isnt Gandalf. Or the people that pick the actors,m but IAN MUST BE GANDALF!!!!

Morgromir
yeah itll crash and burn if he isnt in it
no one can play gandalf better tham him
andy serkis should stay as gullom aswell cause itd sound retarded if
he didnt play him

roughrider
Originally posted by Morgromir
yeah itll crash and burn if he isnt in it
no one can play gandalf better tham him
andy serkis should stay as gullom aswell cause itd sound retarded if
he didnt play him

I believe both Ian McKellen & Andy serkis are committed. Sir Ian only mused out loud he wouldn't commit if Peter Jackson wasn't involved, so no worries there.

Morgromir
yeah and a gullom played by some other actor wouldnt sound right

Incanus
True.

Nemesis X
Isn't The Hobbit the Lord of the Rings but with a different title?

Morgromir
No , Its the same world but different time its basically the story of how Bilbo Got Rich in the movies/books its reffered to as "There and Back again,A Hobbits tale by bilbo baggins"
Its the Prequel to LOTR

jayce78
I'm Really looking Foward to this. The Hobbitt is one of my favorite stories of all time. Even more than Lord of the Ringy Dingy. The fact that it's Two big films instead of one say's that they are not going to try to cram it all in one movie , which is great. I have faith in Del Toro , but this is unlike anything he's ever done. I'm crossing my finger's and saying a prayer. I really want this to be great.

Blinky
Originally posted by jayce78
Even more than Lord of the Ringy Dingy.
Same here, I loved the Trilogy... but The Hobbit was perfection.

The Hobbit is going to be two movies? Wow that gives me a tad more hope in this movie.

jayce78
Unless they change that concept? Yeah , it should be two films. It's going to be the Hobbitt mixed with the Appendix or some crap like that , that's way over my head as a fan? I've never even read the Appendix . . .

DarthLazious
I can't wait for this movieto come out already.

Darth Truculent
Filming starts in July.

roughrider
Originally posted by Darth Truculent
Filming starts in July.

Apparently not, now that Guillermo Del Toro has QUIT THE PROJECT! mad

Two years of hype with him attached; all for nothing.

ADarksideJedi
I can't wait!I hope it will be as good as the other Lord of the Rings but only shorter if possible! cool

GameWinner
Originally posted by Nemesis X
Isn't The Hobbit the Lord of the Rings but with a different title?

The Hobbit is the prequel to The Lord of The Rings

Kazenji
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=69342

roughrider
I still think they should get David Tennant as Bilbo. (If the films EVER get shooting...)

Ushgarak
Oh for heaven's sake...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-11417340

ares834
Yeah, I saw this earlier. Dang Union trying to lay it's pockets with cash... Now I have nothing against unions, but I have never been a fan of unions dealing with movies such as the DGA.

Robtard
Why doesn't Jackson just film the thing, besides produce.

ares834
Well with Del Toro off the project, Jackson is rumored to be the director.

BackFire
It's Official. Jackson is directing.

http://www.thewrap.com/movies/column-post/breaking-hobbit-gets-its-greenlight-21749

Robtard
Originally posted by BackFire
It's Official. Jackson is directing.

http://www.thewrap.com/movies/column-post/breaking-hobbit-gets-its-greenlight-21749

See, I said it and it happened, this is my power.

queeq
We bow deeply to you.

Well, good news anyway.

darthmaul1
Thank god, he should of been doing it from the start. why change it if it isn't broke.

roughrider
Martin Freeman is officially on board as Bilbo Baggins!

http://ca.eonline.com/uberblog/b206995_hobbit_gets_its_bilbomdashand_many.html?utm_source=eonline&utm_medium=rssfeeds&utm_campaign=imdb_tv-movies

Bluesteel
Why did he wait this long? He could have made this happend years ago... I suppose he had his reasons but still, the wait has been dreadful and the wait now knowing Peter will direct will be like waiting for the next LOTR to come out around xmas again. Heh can't wait.

Discos
I havn't read this thread in full yet, but I heard that New Zealand are holding a fuss over filming in the country again?? WTF! haha, it never ends with issues.

It should be a good movie, I think The Hobbit was the last Tolkien book I read (in 2006, ages ago dudes!) and I would like to see some o the places in the book on screen, pretty mountains big grin

meh, never ending saga with this movie

The Rover
Too much drama over the movie...although, if Jackson does direct, it'll most likely make the continuity between the films (The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings) a bit better. Hope they've dropped the idea of two films...and Martin Freeman as Bilbo? What?

Omgu8mynewt
^^^What makes you think they should drop Martin Freeman as Bilbo? I've seen him in Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy and I think he'd be great for the role.

Also did some google research on some of the other actors and I think the dwarves are great, especially Bombur.

Wondor who will be the voice of Smaug?

Discos
voice of smaug.... mmm thats a tough one, maybe the dude who does Optimus Prime? haha

darthmaul1
Did Smaug talk?? i can't remember.
It would of been great to have Ian Holm back to play Bilbo. but I'm sure Martin Freeman will be great too. he is good in the holmes show and was good in HGTTG

The Rover
Originally posted by Omgu8mynewt
^^^What makes you think they should drop Martin Freeman as Bilbo? I've seen him in Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy and I think he'd be great for the role.

Also did some google research on some of the other actors and I think the dwarves are great, especially Bombur.

You misread what I said. I don't expect them to drop Freeman - but his casting does upset me...

roughrider
Ok, now it's What the f**k? ?

Elijah Wood is returning to do Frodo.

Just HOW MUCH are they changing the story?

I didn't mind the idea of making it two films, or bringing in some immortal or long lived characters from LOTR who didn't appear in the novel. But...Frodo?
Should his character even be alive?

ares834
He is not really in the movie. Rather, from what I heard, Bilbo is telling Frodo the story.

queeq
So he is in the movie, just not as a main character.

Bar-en-Danwedh
Originally posted by roughrider
For a two-film series shot back to back, they should be news about casting soon. Here's a recent blurb:

On 17 July 2009, The Daily Telegraph reported that David Tennant is being tipped to play Bilbo Baggins. The Doctor Who star leads a list of other actors, including James McAvoy and Daniel Radcliffe, who have also been linked to the role.

Young Bilbo is the most crucial role to be cast. Besides those names, I'd like to throw in Tom Hollander from the Pirates Of The Caribbean sequels, for his resemblance to a young Ian Holm.

David Tennant's a bit lanky... Well I guess McAvoy is too, but he's got a hobbity face.

Robtard
Originally posted by Omgu8mynewt

Only two voices will be acceptable:

Keith David

James Earl Jones

Bar-en-Danwedh

Keith David

James Earl Jones

Tom Baker would be pretty awesome.
(unless they get him to play a dwarf, which also awesome would be)

roughrider
Originally posted by Bar-en-Danwedh
David Tennant's a bit lanky... Well I guess McAvoy is too, but he's got a hobbity face.

We know now it's neither; Martin Freeman has the role.

Exabyte
Guess what they're preparing here happy

The Rover
Originally posted by Exabyte
Guess what they're preparing here happy

Haha. This movie (?these movies?) will be either amazing...or not. stick out tongue

Omega Vision

Keith David

James Earl Jones
Tony Jay (too bad he's dead sad )
Michael Ironside
Tim Curry

Dr Will Hatch
Originally posted by Omega Vision
Tony Jay (too bad he's dead sad )
Michael Ironside
Tim Curry

Robert Stack or Michael Gough if either of them were alive. sad

Exabyte
Side note: Gollum's scenes, ie. around Bilbo finding the One Ring, were among the first scenes to be done (according to Ian McKellen, some dwarf and Andy Serkis himself); they are nearly finished by now (at least the performance capture part). From now on, Andy Serkis will support PJ as 2nd Unit Director.

Exabyte
PJ published a 10 minute video from the Hobbit set happyspin There are so many cute details to discover on each picture that I couldn't stop grinning stupidly for quite a while after watching it. Enjoy.

colossulrage
OMG finally so excited

The Rover
PJ published a 10 minute video from the Hobbit set happyspin There are so many cute details to discover on each picture that I couldn't stop grinning stupidly for quite a while after watching it. Enjoy.

Only skimmed through it - I really wanted to see people in-costume. stick out tongue

Exabyte
Well, you do get to see some people in costumes (thought, admittedly, they're not very generous with such pictures), for example this dwarf around 2:12 wink also, Gollum is in his costume most of the time stick out tongue

Elessea

This video made my day. Finally starting to get excited about this! happy

The Rover
Well, you do get to see some people in costumes (thought, admittedly, they're not very generous with such pictures), for example this dwarf around 2:12 wink also, Gollum is in his costume most of the time stick out tongue

I totally missed that one guy - although you don't get a look at his makeup, which is what I should have said.

And I'm not a huge fan of Serkis' "costume," myself. stick out tongue

risingsun
I think Cate Blanchett and Orlando Bloom are the characters i am excited about to talk in The Hobbit

The Rover
Originally posted by risingsun
I think Cate Blanchett and Orlando Bloom are the characters i am excited about to talk in The Hobbit

But why are they even in the movie?

Exabyte
Cate Blanchett is there because the White Council is there.
Orlando Bloom is there because Mirkwood is there and because girls are there sitting in the audience.

The Rover

Exabyte
Random news: After a few days of Easter break, they'll continue with the Rivendell scenes.

Exabyte
(Very) lovely news: Stephen Fry will play the Master of Laketown, and Conan Stevens (currently also to be seen in Game of Thrones) is Azog. Ryan Gage, originally casted as Drogo, will now instead play Stephen Fry's servant. (Source)

Exabyte
Really sorry for the triple post, buuut:

Originally posted by The Rover
Only skimmed through it - I really wanted to see people in-costume. stick out tongue

Here you have your people in-costume, although I suppose it's not exactly what you wanted, either: video (starting at 4:20)

Other random news: sounds like they're currently doing the White Council scenes, since Ian McKellen mentions he's working with Cate Blanchett and Hugo Weaving now.

Also: Benedict Cumberbatch (currently working with Martin Freeman as Sherlock Holmes & Dr. Watson) will be in the movies (elf? Smaug? ...?).

The Rover
Haha, that was ridiculous.

Also: I think I know how they're framing the story - that is, how they're going to include Ian Holm and Elijah Wood - if the casting of Bret McKenzie as Lindir is any indication...

Exabyte
Yes?
If it involves songs (my only association to "Bret McKenzie" and "Lindir"wink, then I'm quite sure the answer is No. Or what do you mean?

The Rover
Yes?
If it involves songs (my only association to "Bret McKenzie" and "Lindir"wink, then I'm quite sure the answer is No. Or what do you mean?

Well...since Lindir is an elf from Rivendell, I'm thinking that they'll frame the action of the movie(s) as being told to Frodo while he was there with Bilbo during the events of The Fellowship of the Ring.

Or, Lindir might just be in the Rivendell scenes that take place during The Hobbit. Or maybe during scenes that take place at both times...or I'm wrong, or something. stick out tongue

Exabyte
Yes, that makes quite some sense. It would fit very well in the context since multiple items and stories connected to Bilbo's adventure show up in Rivendell, most of them also in the movies.

The other, simpler idea would be that Frodo just reads in the Red Book, maybe before writing in his own story. However, I don't know how Ian Holm would fit in there, except to read his own written lines from the off... so maybe the frame story is rather settled before Frodo's journey (or near its beginning, such as Rivendell).

The Rover
Indeed. All pointless guesswork at this time, I suppose! We'll see soon enough.

ares834
Hobbit titles and release dates announced!

The first is called An Unexpected Journey and will be released on December 14, 2012.
The second film, titled The Hobbit: There and Back Again, is slated for a release date on December 13, 2013.

About damn time!

The Rover
A year apart? Bullscheisse.

Omega Vision
A shameless money grubbing scheme.

The Hobbit wasn't that big of a book, it doesn't need two movies.

The Rover
Originally posted by Omega Vision
A shameless money grubbing scheme.

The Hobbit wasn't that big of a book, it doesn't need two movies.

Hopefully it won't pander too much to the masses...

Exabyte
Photos! Bilbo! Dwarves! Here.

The_Innkeeper
I refuse to believe Martin Freeman is bloody Bilbo Baggins...

CPT Space Bomb
I really can't understand why this is getting two parts....

If that was the case The Lord of the Rings should have had 5 or 6 movies..

Here's hoping they'll eventually make a Silmarillion movie! Seeing Morgoth fight Fingolfin on the big screen would be EPIC!

ares834
We have to go back Kate... WE HAVE TO GO BACK!

Originally posted by CPT Space Bomb
Here's hoping they'll eventually make a Silmarillion movie! Seeing Morgoth fight Fingolfin on the big screen would be EPIC!

Would be cool. But I can think of far cooler scenes... Basically anything involving Feanor! That guy was a beast.

Exabyte
Not good. (neither the Silmarillion movie nor Evangeline Lilly as an elf.)

The Rover
...Please tell me that's not real. That sounds awful...

Apparently the actor (Benedict Cumberbatch) portraying Smaug is also going to voice Sauron...ugh.

Exabyte
What astonishes me most is that Sauron actually gets a voice.

The Rover
I know...isn't he only a floating, flaming eyeball? roll eyes (sarcastic)

In all seriousness...I'm going to try to be less pessimistic about these movies.

Exabyte
That's sweet of you.

And I rephrase my statement above: I am astonished that his voice is needed in the movie.

CPT Space Bomb
True, this doesn't exactly bode well for the movie. But then again, most of us if we're honest with ourselves; doubted Jackson and his LOTR movies before they came out.

Exabyte
But then again, most of us if we're honest with ourselves; doubted Jackson and his LOTR movies before they came out.
Actually, I didn't. Neither do I doubt the Hobbit movie now. I will love it, but there will doubtlessly also be some things I hate. That's fine.

By the way, "Empire" will feature the first Hobbit cover story on June 30.

The Rover
I didn't doubt the LotR movies (specifically FotR) before they came out - they were off my radar for quite a while...

I find that I can't watch the LotR movies with (most) other people...they tend to like all the things I find annoying about those movies. The casting news and the fact that they're adding to The Hobbit bother me, but...I'll probably love it anyway. We'll see...

ares834
That's sweet of you.

And I rephrase my statement above: I am astonished that his voice is needed in the movie.

It's because they are not only dealing with the Hobbit but also with the White Council and how they drove the Necromancer (Sauron) out of Mirkwood.

The Rover
Originally posted by ares834
It's because they are not only dealing with the Hobbit but also with the White Council and how they drove the Necromancer (Sauron) out of Mirkwood.

But why does he have to speak? So they can write cheesy, pseudo-Tolkien dialogue?

Photos! Bilbo! Dwarves! Here.

Don't those ears look huge on Freeman? The dwarves don't look bad, and, of course, Ian McKellen looks awesome.

ares834
But why does he have to speak? So they can write cheesy, pseudo-Tolkien dialogue?

Why would he not speak...

Exabyte
Don't those ears look huge on Freeman?
Did you see his feet?

The Rover
Did you see his feet?

They look huge, too! Lol.

Originally posted by ares834
Why would he not speak...

Why would he? The manner in which the White Council forcibly evicted Sauron from Dol Guldur seems to have been intentionally left vague by Tolkien...why put a Hollywood spin on it?

ares834
Why would he? The manner in which the White Council forcibly evicted Sauron from Dol Guldur seems to have been intentionally left vague by Tolkien...why Hollywood it up?

Well that is only your interpretation of the battle from the few facts we have. Sure it may have been left vague by Tolkien but this is Hollywood and they want to ring every last penny out of the franchise. Plus it could be cool.

The Rover
He'll have a scary, demonic voice and it'll be cheesy. Almost guaranteed.

CPT Space Bomb
He'll have a scary, demonic voice and it'll be cheesy. Almost guaranteed. Absolutely. Alot of the things that really bothered me about the trilogy was just how much of the story they changed unnecessarily. ROTK's confrontation between Gandalf and the Witch King being the moment that angered me the most.

Still, the movies were still great and I'm sure this will do just fine.

Exabyte
A first picture of Dori, Nori and Ori has been published.

Good news: yes, we will be able to tell them all apart. Yes, there are some inspiring new design ideas. Yes, we will laugh a lot.

Bad news: We will laugh a lot. And the left one's hairstyle is sort of... freakish.

DanielLB
Have you noticed that the eyebrows are plated to the hair?

Exabyte
Originally posted by DanielLB
Have you noticed that the eyebrows are plated to the hair?
Yes, I mentally included that one among the "interesting new ideas" (and among the laughs). I'm also surprised how nice and dwarvish the white-haired guy's (rather experimental) braids look.

DanielLB
Yeah, you can see the back of his head in PJs first video. Maybe there beards and hair won't always look so prestine and tidy, like Gimli. His hair/beard occasionaly changed in the film from platted to not.

ares834
I really like the outfits and weapons. The guy on the right (Dori?) looks great. However, the hair of the guy on the left looks terrible.

DanielLB
Oin & Gloin

http://www-images.theonering.org/torwp/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/6970_912526707.jpg
http://www-images.theonering.org/torwp/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/6970_912526707.jpg

CPT Space Bomb
Can't wait to see Balin and Thorin.

DanielLB
New production blog from PJ.

Watch it here: PJ Blog 2

DanielLB
Fili and Kili!

http://media.social.s-msn.com/images/blogs/00290065-0000-0000-0000-000000000000_00000065-06d3-0000-0000-000000000000_20110712161810_HBT-DWF-003550.jpg

Not too sure of these two...

The Rover
Gah! What has been seen cannot be unseen!

sad

Oin and Gloin look good - the family resemblance between those two and Gimli is a nice touch - but the others? UGH.

Absolutely. Alot of the things that really bothered me about the trilogy was just how much of the story they changed unnecessarily. ROTK's confrontation between Gandalf and the Witch King being the moment that angered me the most.

Still, the movies were still great and I'm sure this will do just fine.

That change didn't really stick out as much for me. What bothered me much more were the scenes with Legolas and Gimli.

...Well, I was more bothered by Legolas than Gimli. But, still...

Also...not so sure, having seen these latest pics...my God, the horror! The horror!

P.S. Shooting the Misty Mountain/goblin scenes in the vid, I presume?

DanielLB
I know what you mean. But to me, I was unsure about Nori, Ori and Dori, until I saw Fili and Kili! Now they are fine to me!

The thing for me is that Fili and Kili just look too human. Yes they are younger, yes they may be more rebellious and yes PJ and co need to distinguish between the 13 of them ... but at least make it plausible. They need wavey/curley/tangled hair rather than straight hair. A slight fat suit and more beard. They just look out of place with Oin and Gloin. I hope Oin and Gloin are not the only dwarves that everyone was expecting.

The Rover
I know what you mean. But to me, I was unsure about Nori, Ori and Dori, until I saw Fili and Kili! Now they are fine to me!

The thing for me is that Fili and Kili just look too human. Yes they are younger, yes they may be more rebellious and yes PJ and co need to distinguish between the 13 of them ... but at least make it plausible. They need wavey/curley/tangled hair rather than straight hair. A slight fat suit and more beard. They just look out of place with Oin and Gloin. I hope Oin and Gloin are not the only dwarves that everyone was expecting.

I think those last two are the worst - I have the same reservations. I thought they were supposed to be elves, until I saw their stature.

Eh. I think I might have to stay away from any pics for a while... stick out tongue

Exabyte

The Rover
...Or is it? stick out tongue

Meh. I'll wait and see...and wait to see, if I can.

DanielLB
Bifur, Bofur & Bombur!

http://static2.stuff.co.nz/1310593248/763/5282763_600x400.jpg

ares834
Awesome! Those last three dwarves have so much character. And Bombur is so fat!

Birch_Tree
I would like to see Bombur during lord of the rings, wheret he has grown so fat it takes six dwarves to lift him to the dinner table.

What does everyone think of the thing stuck to Bifur forehead, looks like a pick axe head.... Maybe done as a joke.

CPT Space Bomb
I'm sorry, Kili and Fili just DO NOT work for me. That being said, this is a lighter story than that of TLOTR, and it would appear that Jackson is trying to tap into that humor by way of making the dwarves look like circus buffoon rejects. Perhaps it will work out, but I must say the pictures are rather troublesome so far.

Exabyte
Now Asterix has found his Obelix, but at least Obelix looks like a dwarf.

Birch_Tree
I'm sorry, Kili and Fili just DO NOT work for me. That being said, this is a lighter story than that of TLOTR, and it would appear that Jackson is trying to tap into that humor by way of making the dwarves look like circus buffoon rejects. Perhaps it will work out, but I must say the pictures are rather troublesome so far.

I think (or hope) that these photos have been staged a little to stir up the fans and cause controversy, for example the wind machine being used on Kili...

A few of the other dwarves look like they contain little jokes, Bombur's ladle almost looks like it has been photoshoped in, not to mention the axe embeded into Bifur's forehead... They are having a little fun with us.

So, I feel Kili might look a little better in the films then he does in the photos, I also get the impression that his beard is slightly thicker then what the photo suggest, these quite a bit of shade and clothing in the way. I hope I am right...

DanielLB
Balin and Dwalin

http://www-images.theonering.org/torwp/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/Balin-and-Dwalin.jpg

CPT Space Bomb
I really hope these are being hammed up. Might not watch this movie if these are all 100% real. An anvil stuck in a dwarf's head?

DanielLB
It's a little extreme?

Oin and Gloin are the only Dwarves that are how they I imagined them. I never imagined any of the others like they appear ... especially Fili and Kili. But I am not saying I don't like them. I think they have done a fantastic job in distinguishing all 13, giving them all their own look, characteristics etc.

With regards to Bifur, it wasn't until someone pointed out that it was something actually stuck in his head that I realised. I had always assumed it was some sort of braided bit of hair with metal (like Nori/Ori etc). It does seem strange that they have gone for that. Surely nobody (even a Dwarf) would be able to survive (and carry on living) with something impaled into the head? Of course, we don't yet really know what it is. It could be an injury Bifur picks up during the Battle of the Five Armies (unlikely). It could be a bit of braded hair above a wound (again unlikely). I don't think it's something as big as an anvil though. To me it looks like a small axe head where the handle has been cut to the top. To me, I'm not too bothered. As long as it doesn't affect the character, and the is a sensible reason why he has it then I'm not going to complain.

I'm already having problems remembering who is who so I need as many differences as possible will help me!!

DanielLB
Here is a closer image of Bifur and his head:

http://www-images.theonering.org/torwp/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/bifur-williamkircher-p.jpg

Definately looks like an axe head! Maybe that's why he looks so miserable? I wouldn't be too happy big grin

And here is a close up of Dwalin's head too. Looks like he has tattoos!

http://www-images.theonering.org/torwp/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/dwalin-grahammctavish-p.jpg

DanielLB
Thorin Oakenshield!!

http://www-images.theonering.org/torwp/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/thorin-richardarmitage520.jpg

I always imagined Thorin being older. But he still looks great! And Orcrist too!!

Exabyte
Surprising, but actually really, really good. I love it.

Omega Vision
Thorin would be spot on if he had more gray, but otherwise I'm liking it.

I just hope they don't screw up Beorn or worse still leave him out entirely.

ares834
Thorin looks great.

I'm rather pleased with how the dwarves turned out. Each one is very unique.

Omega Vision
I wonder if the spiders of Mirkwood will talk like in the book or if they'll be mute like Shelob was.

DanielLB
Beorn is in the film/s. I'm hoping the spiders don't talk. I think it would be much more atmospheric if they didn't.

The Rover
...Thorin looks like a damn Klingon. He's much too young, as well.

And Bifur? Yikes...

I'd prefer it if the spiders speak and Sauron doesn't...but I doubt that'll happen.

DanielLB
I would quite like it if the Necromancer was like an "invisible" antagonist. Kind of like, lurking in the shadows, fading in and out, not quite knowing if he is there or not, and never actually seeing or hearing him.

Exabyte
New video! With dwarf action big grin looks much, much better than the photoshopped versions. Even Kili and Nori are quite likeable.

Omega Vision
...Thorin looks like a damn Klingon. He's much too young, as well.

And Bifur? Yikes...

I'd prefer it if the spiders speak and Sauron doesn't...but I doubt that'll happen.
Lol yes. He looks like Gowron.

Exabyte
Some news about the intro scene for The Hobbit (the bridge to The Lord of the Rings), reported by an extra.

Also, some shots of a new set, probably Rhosgobel (Radagast's home) or Beorn's house, appeared.

eezy45
Can't we have houses like those for real? I mean.. I'd certainly choose to live in a village resembling the Shire.
Good thing they stayed with NZ, too smile

Exabyte
And more news about Beorn's or Radagast's home here. To be honest, it looks neither recognizably like Beorn's nor like Radagast's house so far.

roughrider
Thorin Oakenshield!!

http://www-images.theonering.org/torwp/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/thorin-richardarmitage520.jpg

I always imagined Thorin being older. But he still looks great! And Orcrist too!!

And this is the same actor - Ricahrd Armitage - who played the hydra agent and assassin in Captain America last year. In real life he looks a little like Hugh Jackman.

roughrider
He'll have a scary, demonic voice and it'll be cheesy. Almost guaranteed.

No, I understand Sauron would sound quite pleasant and reasonable when he was in his 'fair' form.

roughrider
I really can't understand why this is getting two parts....

If that was the case The Lord of the Rings should have had 5 or 6 movies..

To paraphrase Rick James: "Money is a hell of a drug." That's why.

My favourite two Harry Potter films were the last two, because it was one book spread over two films. After the pressure of having to cram in so much in the previous films, those ones had room to breathe.

Kazenji
Originally posted by roughrider

My favourite two Harry Potter films were the last two, because it was one book spread over two films. After the pressure of having to cram in so much in the previous films, those ones had room to breathe.

They should've really done that with some of the other books too

as for The Hobbit theres a new production vid on facebook.

roughrider
Originally posted by The_Innkeeper
I refuse to believe Martin Freeman is bloody Bilbo Baggins...

All they needed to do was cast Ricky Gervais as Sauron and Mackenzie Crook as Gollum, and this would have been full of win! stick out tongue

nimbus006
4th Video was least interesting so far, IMO.

All about shooting in 3D, meh, I still prefer 2D.

Exabyte
Still, there's lots of interesting stuff going on in the background - we see the warg fight (without wargs), an interesting conversation between Thorin and what seems to be a ?local farmer with his ?child, many Mirkwood shots including spiderwebs and Bilbo's ?black butterfly panorama from the book and Thorin with Orcrist, Thranduil's wine cellar (lovely!), Elrond reading Thror's Map, a Rivendell feast, the arrival at Rivendell (interestingly in threatening atmosphere - and who is this elf standing beside Gandalf?), Bilbo in his very colorful dressing gown and elf costume details (and who is this elf?).

Also, I found the part about 3D-drawings quite interesting.

dylan2102wright
I can't wait to see this film the book was amazing , lotr was good and that was in 2004 now it's 2011 this film is going to be a masterpiece

ares834
ZEOM13UyZ0A

Can't wait!

Robtard
I will be masturbating until next December over this.

Exabyte
The new Christmas production video features tons of Hobbiton pictures smile such a lovely place.

Kazenji
I don't need no video myself... been there.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>