Mayweather: Whites needed a fight sport, so they invented MMA

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Floyd Mayweathe
http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/blog/cagewriter/post/Mayweather-Whites-needed-a-fight-sport-so-they?urn=mma,177541

The showdown is set for September 19th. The self-annointed
pay-per-view king of boxing Floyd Mayweather is going to head-to-head against UFC 103 in Dallas. Who wins the battle? Mayweather or a UFC card without a UFC championship fight on it?

Mayweather's been a lot more anti-MMA recently. Is there a reason behind it? He talks with CBSSports here saying MMA is for animals and it was created because whites can't excel in boxing (1:47 mark)

Yeah. Fo sure whitey dont punch fer shit ferdizzle. Word!

occultdestroyer
Wow! Very good match!

Let's see if MMA is truly the most effective combat style.

If the MMA fighter loses, it will prove that ANY combat style is effective if you excel in it.

jalek moye
who is he even fighting

Robtard
Hahahahaa, the clown. Within ten years, MMA is going to top boxing.

I love boxing, but the politics has ruined it, fighters dodging fights, or purposely put up against people way below them so they can excel etc.

Sadako of Girth
Yeah but all those same factors'll soon start eating away at MMA, (if it hasnt already) as soon as cash starts dictating things.

Robtard
For sure, let MMA fighters start making 20m a fight and bouts bringing in 250m at the gate, it will be the same Don King bullshit all over.

Sadako of Girth
Yup.

Will that promoter also have shoed a man to death...?

inimalist
what is the rationale behind "MMA is for animals"?

jaden101
Originally posted by Robtard
Hahahahaa, the clown. Within ten years, MMA is going to top boxing.

I love boxing, but the politics has ruined it, fighters dodging fights, or purposely put up against people way below them so they can excel etc.

They've already started to address that with the new super-six format.

The 1st to do it are going to be Carl Froch, Andre Dirrell, Andre Ward, Jermaine Taylor, Arthur Abraham and Mikkel Kessler.

They all fight 3 times on a points system. The top 2 going against each other for the title.

Dr. Leg Kick
He's an incredible boxer, but a complete fool.

MMA (Pankration combat) has been around in the Ancient Greek times. The sport is just as old or even older than Boxing.

For sure, let MMA fighters start making 20m a fight and bouts bringing in 250m at the gate, it will be the same Don King bullshit all over. Dana White and the Fertitas have said they are trying to prevent that. Hope they can do it.

That's why they won't co-promote with other companies, and are trying to monopolize.

Robtard
Originally posted by inimalist
what is the rationale behind "MMA is for animals"?

I believe he said something about "bare feet and in a cage".

Robtard
Originally posted by jaden101
They've already started to address that with the new super-six format.

The 1st to do it are going to be Carl Froch, Andre Dirrell, Andre Ward, Jermaine Taylor, Arthur Abraham and Mikkel Kessler.

They all fight 3 times on a points system. The top 2 going against each other for the title.

Good to hear, I've been out of touch with boxing for a few years now.

dadudemon
An pro boxer shouldn't stand a chance even against an amature MMA fighter.

But, we'll see.

Dr. Leg Kick
Originally posted by dadudemon
An pro boxer shouldn't stand a chance even against an amature MMA fighter.

But, we'll see. One punch can end the fight. A boxer is capable of defeating a MMA fighter and vice versa.

Kicks and grappling will play a significant factor in the fight.

EXkcYul1LRo

Bicnarok

dadudemon
Originally posted by Dr. Leg Kick
One punch can end the fight. A boxer is capable of defeating a MMA fighter and vice versa.

EXkcYul1LRo

Indeed.

A person without much fighting experience could knock out a pro with a lucky shot.

BUt I'm not talking about exceptions. I'm talking about the norm.

chithappens
One punch can end the fight. A boxer is capable of defeating a MMA fighter and vice versa.

EXkcYul1LRo

I literally looked down and missed it.

It was a good shot but geez, what a *****.

Hyperion Prime
Originally posted by chithappens
I literally looked down and missed it.

It was a good shot but geez, what a *****.

Ray mercer is like 150 years old. I like MMA a lot, but boxing is superior. Problem with boxing is that it is so full of B.S. Heavy Weight is also dead.

jalek moye
Originally posted by Hyperion Prime
Ray mercer is like 150 years old. I like MMA a lot, but boxing is superior. Problem with boxing is that it is so full of B.S. Heavy Weight is also dead.
what do you mean by superior?

KidRock
Wow, imagine if a white fighter said "blacks go box because they're not smart enough for MMA"

It would be a travesty, Al Sharpton marching in front of Madison Square Garden, the fighter being blackballed from the game.

Hyperion Prime
Originally posted by jalek moye
what do you mean by superior?

I should have said it is more entertaining to watch.

Dr. Leg Kick
Originally posted by KidRock
Wow, imagine if a white fighter said "blacks go box because they're not smart enough for MMA"

It would be a travesty, Al Sharpton marching in front of Madison Square Garden, the fighter being blackballed from the game. Exactly^

It would be chaos.

Dr. Leg Kick
I should have said it is more entertaining to watch. Not everyone understands the grappling aspect of MMA.

Hyperion Prime
Not everyone understands the grappling aspect of MMA.

I understand it, but I find it boring when they go to the ground.

Dr. Leg Kick
I understand it, but I find it boring when they go to the ground. That's my point, you don't understand it.

It's like watching Muay Thai kickboxing. You understand the clinch game, the knees, and the way elbows are thrown. You enjoy it cuz you can comprehend.

Same with grappling.

You see the submission attempts the transitions from position to position etc

Watch Frankie Edgar vs Tyson Griffin. That is the epitome of pure class grappling in MMA. Easily one of the greatest LW fights.

Tattoos N Scars
I'm sure Mayweather would get killed in the UFC.

shiv
whatever

From a straight perspective Female wrestling is preferable to two guys rolling around in a heap.

Hyperion Prime
That's my point, you don't understand it.

It's like watching Muay Thai kickboxing. You understand the clinch game, the knees, and the way elbows are thrown. You enjoy it cuz you can comprehend.

Same with grappling.

You see the submission attempts the transitions from position to position etc

Watch Frankie Edgar vs Tyson Griffin. That is the epitome of pure class grappling in MMA. Easily one of the greatest LW fights.

I do understand it. Grappling is boring......I understand math, but I find that boring too. Grappling is like chess....boring. You can understand something and still not like it.

jinXed by JaNx
I bet Mayweather is making a lot of money to say and do these things.

BruceSkywalker
love mma

dadudemon
Originally posted by shiv
whatever

From a straight perspective Female wrestling is preferable to two guys rolling around in a heap.

Indeed. I agree with this 1000%.

I don't really watch MMA or boxing. If it's on the TV at Buffalo Wild Wings, I watch it.

It's more exciting that golf or baseball, though. I'd rather watch MMA than watch golf, a million times over.

Still, like most sports, I'd much rather play than watch them. The exceptions are golf and baseball.

jaden101
The irony of Mayweather saying that whites needed a fight sport is that the current champions of all 5 heavyweight belts are white

4 of the 5 cruiserweight belts are held by whites

1 of the light heavyweights belts belong to a white guy...2 are vacant and 1 belongs to a Spanish guy

4 of the 5 super middleweight titles belong to white guys...the other is vacant.

4 of the 5 middleweight titles belong to white guys...the other is vacant.

3 of the 5 super welterweight belts belong to white guys...1 is vacant.

I'm not even going to go through the rest of the divisions...I think i've made my point.

Robtard
Sad thing, he's going to get stomped(considering he doesn't fight some smuck), but he's going to make a lot of cash.

jaden101
Sad thing, he's going to get stomped(considering he doesn't fight some smuck), but he's going to make a lot of cash.

He doesn't actually mean he's going to fight someone from UFC...It's just the Mayweather-Marquez fight is the same night as UFC 103...He's just claiming that boxing will always dominate in terms of ratings and money. He's not wrong either.

Where as he clearly is plain wrong about whites not dominating in boxing.

He's also blatently chickening out of the Pacquiao fight.

Robtard
He doesn't actually mean he's going to fight someone from UFC...It's just the Mayweather-Marquez fight is the same night as UFC 103...He's just claiming that boxing will always dominate in terms of ratings and money. He's not wrong either.

Where as he clearly is plain wrong about whites not dominating in boxing.

He's also blatently chickening out of the Pacquiao fight.

I read in some sports article (did a quick search when the thread opened) that he would be interested in going to MMA, if the money was right. Though it was an article from 2007, so you're likely right.

Funny about Pacquiao, as he makes it out to be not his fault.

mr.smiley
"Mayweather: Whites needed a fight sport, so they invented MMA"

This coming from the guy who wrestled Big Show???????

Robtard
In all fairness, that type of wrestling isn't a competitive sport, it's little more than a soap-opera for children and the low-brow crowd.

They offered him 20m to act like a clown; he took it.

Bouboumaster
Wish he fight Georges St-Pierre. Mayweather is in which weight category?

Robtard
He's had several weight divisions, but I don't think he's ever weighed more than 155. So he'd be a light-weight in MMA. PJ Penn could rape him.

Joker1237
There has been many great white fighters. Not to get into a race issue. Race does not determind a winner or lose.

Rocky Marciano a white guy beat blacks in Ezzard Charles, Joe Louis and Archie Moore.

Carman Basilio a white guy beat Ray Robinson, who of couse was black. Fullmer was white also, when he hammer Robinson.

The younger Kilt brother beat Jefferson and Peter. And former Champ Rahman, black, Older brother beat Peter.

Harry Greb beat fighters of ALL colors about.
Kelly Pavik did beat Taylor.

A certain Sweed upset Patterson in 59.
Battling Nelson who is white, beat the great black fighter Joe Gans in the 1900's.

Jack Johnson black lose to white Marvin Hart in 1905.

Race plays little part, its mostly skills and talents that determinds who is the best.

Quiero Mota
He's an incredible boxer, but a complete fool.

MMA (Pankration combat) has been around in the Ancient Greek times. The sport is just as old or even older than Boxing.

Fo be fair, MMA is a pretty white sport. It is to boxing what hockey is to basketball.

Pankration is somewhat comparable to MMA. Pankration combined boxing wrestling, but ancient Greeks didn't know anything about Eastern fighting styles. MMA was founded in the 20th century to see how different martial arts fiared against eachother. And UFC/Pride resembles Greco-Roman wrestling more often than they do Eastern martial arts. MMA matches seem to always end on the ground with a submission move.

Dr. Leg Kick
Originally posted by Quiero Mota
Fo be fair, MMA is a pretty white sport. It is to boxing what hockey is to basketball.

Pankration is somewhat comparable to MMA. Pankration combined boxing wrestling, but ancient Greeks didn't know anything about Eastern fighting styles. MMA was founded in the 20th century to see how different martial arts fiared against eachother. And UFC/Pride resembles Greco-Roman wrestling more often than they do Eastern martial arts. MMA matches seem to always end on the ground with a submission move. Explain to me how MMA is a 'white' sport.

It's like saying Kool G Rap is a wack MC. Just doesn't make sense.

Tattoos N Scars
The greatest professional fighter in the world, Fedor Emelianenko is white...just to be honest.

Dr. Leg Kick
Originally posted by Tattoos N Scars
The greatest professional fighter in the world, Fedor Emelianenko is white...just to be honest. Yes, but he's tied with Anderson Silva.

And look at Jon Jones. Give him 2 years and he'll be a champ, and probably in the top 5 P4P list.

Tattoos N Scars
Yes, but he's tied with Anderson Silva.

And look at Jon Jones. Give him 2 years and he'll be a champ, and probably in the top 5 P4P list.

True, but I'm sure Fedor would win in an open weight fight between the two.

Bouboumaster
Yes, but he's tied with Anderson Silva.

And they are tied to... Georges mother****in' St-Pierre! Respect the man!

Dr. Leg Kick
Originally posted by Bouboumaster
And they are tied to... Georges mother****in' St-Pierre! Respect the man! Top 3 is no question Fedor, GSP, and Anderson. The order in which you place them depends on you. GSP should wrestle for the Canadian Olympics team. Not sure why there are no serious talks about this.

inimalist
Top 3 is no question Fedor, GSP, and Anderson. The order in which you place them depends on you. GSP should wrestle for the Canadian Olympics team. Not sure why there are no serious talks about this.

aren't like boxing and other combat sports supposed to cater to amature athletes at the olympics? (well, they all are, but you get what I'm saying)

Like, Tyson was never at the Olympics, was he? or like Lewis?

Tattoos N Scars
aren't like boxing and other combat sports supposed to cater to amature athletes at the olympics? (well, they all are, but you get what I'm saying)

Yes, and I never understood that. Top NBA player can represent the U.S. team in the olympics..and I believe professional tennis players can represent the U.S. also. Other than that, I don't believe other professionals are allowed.

inimalist
Yes, and I never understood that. Top NBA player can represent the U.S. team in the olympics..and I believe professional tennis players can represent the U.S. also. Other than that, I don't believe other professionals are allowed.

hockey recently allowed pros

I just assumed someone like GSP wouldn't be able to compete because of his pro status.

Wouldn't these guys own Olympic martial arts?

Robtard
The greatest professional fighter in the world, Fedor Emelianenko is white...just to be honest.

Not the greatest in terms of raw skill, he's an absolute beast combined with a great level of skill = win/stomp.

jaden101

Lewis was...1984....Represented Canada.

inimalist
Lewis was...1984....Represented Canada.

shit, thats amazing

was this before he was a "pro"?

Is there really any substantial difference in boxing done at the olympic level vs that of the pros? (aside from skill level I mean)

Dr. Leg Kick
hockey recently allowed pros

I just assumed someone like GSP wouldn't be able to compete because of his pro status.

Wouldn't these guys own Olympic martial arts? Not necessarily own, but you never know.

I know Couture was an alternate 3 times for the Olympics, and Henderson is an Olympian. Not sure how he did though.

Robtard
Tyson was in the junior Olympics; he ****ed this guy up, at 15-16 years of age.

dHyi9Yv6fwY

jaden101
shit, thats amazing

was this before he was a "pro"?

Is there really any substantial difference in boxing done at the olympic level vs that of the pros? (aside from skill level I mean)

He was an amatuer (as someone said, the olympics for boxing is amatuer only).

The main differences are amatuer boxing requires sleevless tshirt and head protection to be worn. If I remember correctly, the gloves are different also.

In the olympics, boxing is far more about tecnhinque. There's very few KO's in olympic boxing as it's more about landing clean shots (regardless of strength) and avoiding being hit than it is about laying your opponent out.

jinXed by JaNx
Tyson was in the junior Olympics; he ****ed this guy up, at 15-16 years of age.

dHyi9Yv6fwY

damn he was a huge 15 year old

occultdestroyer
This guy is a joke.

This pottymouth backed out from Pacquiao. Nothing but shit coming out of his mouth.

chomperx9
id say the thread title is racist.

The--Libertine
Originally posted by chomperx9
id say the thread title is racist.

*shakes head* starts to laugh....

durfist...

mr.smiley
In all fairness, that type of wrestling isn't a competitive sport, it's little more than a soap-opera for children and the low-brow crowd.

That is true.
But it still makes him look a bit weak.At least in my eyes.
Not to mention,when he was on RAW,he proclaimed himself the best fighter alive.
The best boxer,MMA fighter,etc.
True,it was probably all part of the act,but I think MMA will forever be in Mayweathers Shadow and the guy can't stand it.

Symmetric Chaos

Ahmen, it's vaudeville style performance art. A proud tradition.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.