Top 10 Most Depressing Characters in Comics

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

The Nuul
http://www.craveonline.com/entertainment/comics/article/top-10-most-depressing-characters-in-comics-80495/2

xJLxKing
Very nice list. I am shocked they didn't put some villains but still nice.

ankur29
Originally posted by xJLxKing
Very nice list. I am shocked they didn't put some villains but still nice.

SBP is a villain

Rhino shoud be intop 5
he gets thrown a win like every 10 years

even if he did start to get some wins people woudl refute it and call it out of charecter sad

The Nuul
I wonder why Henshaw is not in there......The guy lost his wife and just wanted to die.

xJLxKing
Originally posted by The Nuul
I wonder why Henshaw is not in there......The guy lost his wife and just wanted to die.
Yeah a sad story indeed.

tjcoady

My guess is because it's written by a non-comics website and they went with characters that people who don't regularly read comics might have a chance of recognizing.

The Nuul
Yeah could be.

Digi
Jimmy Corrigan is f-ing heartwrenching. A lesser know comic, but I recommend it to anyone. The artwork in his book is also very period and mood-appropriate and is top notch.

roughrider
http://www.craveonline.com/entertainment/comics/article/top-10-most-depressing-characters-in-comics-80495/2

I thought Hulk/Bruce Banner would make the Top Ten.

And I don't care how many times they try to convince me, I'm not feeling sorry for Superboy Prime. Maybe Thing or Hank Henshaw would have been a better candidate.

GGS
Rogue and Tim Drake wutttttt a joke!!!!!!! Although i agree with the rest of the list there's hundreds of more tragic characters they could of put in than Rogue & Tim Drake.

-Pr-
Superboy Prime used to be tragic. Now he's just a little douchebag who deserves everything he gets.

PRAYERRUN
What about Silver Surfer?

-Pr-
those guys just must not read their comics... i mean, rogue? seriously? there are several x-men with more tragic stories than hers...

Originally posted by PRAYERRUN

aye. he's a tragic character.

Kris Blaze
Daredevil, good pick.

Bouboumaster
What about Hercules?

WhoopeeDee
Black Alice should have been #1

Symmetric Chaos
Armless Tiger Man

More depressing in that the idea exists than anything else.

tjcoady
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
Armless Tiger Man

Are you kidding me? ATM is the best super-hero, bar none.

I would LOVE to have been at that pitch meeting:

Writer: "Okay, you'll love this one. He's just like Batman, with the whole "serving justice after loss," thing, only instead of losing his parents, he got his arms chopped off. And instead of fighting criminals, because they killed his parents, he fights machines. And get this- his powers, he's like... really, really good at using his feet for stuff. Like, almost as good as a person with all his limbs."

Editor: ....

roughrider

I wouldn't call him tragic. His servitude to Galactus gave him something he craved, and couldn't find anymore in daily life on Zenn-La - adventure beyond his greatest imagination. He did get confined to Earth for years, but that's ancient history.

Bouboumaster
http://img352.imageshack.us/img352/9612/picture11109fz.jpg

http://img352.imageshack.us/img352/8931/picture11113be.jpg

http://img352.imageshack.us/img352/4383/picture11128nf.jpg

http://img352.imageshack.us/img352/679/picture11139sm.jpg

jalek moye
Hank Henshaw should have been there

-K-M-
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
Armless Tiger Man

He's even currently in Hell/Hades (Incredible Hercules #129...and yes they brought him back)

PRAYERRUN
Originally posted by roughrider
I wouldn't call him tragic. His servitude to Galactus gave him something he craved, and couldn't find anymore in daily life on Zenn-La - adventure beyond his greatest imagination. He did get confined to Earth for years, but that's ancient history.
I think he went with Galactus reluctantly, to save Zenn-La from being destroyed. He was forced to serve Galactus by finding planets he could ' eat ' then was banned from going home after Galactus stranded him on Earth. The dude is a hero through and through and has all the power he could ever want, yet he can't get the one thing he wants, his wife and his home.

roughrider
I think he went with Galactus reluctantly, to save Zenn-La from being destroyed. He was forced to serve Galactus by finding planets he could ' eat ' then was banned from going home after Galactus stranded him on Earth. The dude is a hero through and through and has all the power he could ever want, yet he can't get the one thing he wants, his wife and his home.

He was freed by Galactus eventually, and did go home. But he found that he couldn't stay there and use his power to change society. The everday struggle to create anew - something he found lacking in the society prior to Galactus - was there again as the world was rebuilding itself. To interfere with his power would be denying his people the challenge to do what he thought they needed.
He isn't one of the most tragic characters - it's only that the power he received gave him something he wanted, but kept him apart from the society he knew. I would argue Superman is more tragic, because he became the powerful hero he is by his world dying. He's loved but still an outsider. I think the Surfer has always felt like an outsider, even before his transformation.

Alpha Centauri
Cable is reasonably depressing.

The man's had almost no life outside of war and conflict.

-AC

chomperx9
my choice for #1 depressing character is rogue without marvel girls powers.

hi im rogue i dont have any super strength or abilities to shoot lazer beams or teleport or do other cool stuff. so um you just stand right there and im gonna go walk over and touch you so i can absorb your powers and then use your own powers against you. okey dokey ? now dont you move 1st cause that will make the fight spite because right now i dont have a defense. just a small warning though after i teach you your not gonna feal so good.

ok yeah that was kinda lame what i posted ^ lol. but im just making a point of what is her purpose if she cant do jack without touching someone and she expects that person just to stand there and let her do what ever i mean come on.

now rogue with marvel girls powers that version of rogue i have total respect for.

darthgoober
Originally posted by roughrider
He was freed by Galactus eventually, and did go home. But he found that he couldn't stay there and use his power to change society. The everday struggle to create anew - something he found lacking in the society prior to Galactus - was there again as the world was rebuilding itself. To interfere with his power would be denying his people the challenge to do what he thought they needed.
He isn't one of the most tragic characters - it's only that the power he received gave him something he wanted, but kept him apart from the society he knew. I would argue Superman is more tragic, because he became the powerful hero he is by his world dying. He's loved but still an outsider. I think the Surfer has always felt like an outsider, even before his transformation.
Surfer's history is filled with tragedy. He discovered his mother dead by her own hand when he was a child and spent most of his life blaming himself for her death. He had to leave Shalla-Ba to serve Galactus, and while he did want more adventure than Zenn-La had to offer, he wanted her to be there for the adventure. He was continuously finding ways around Galactus's barrier to return to her, but everytime he managed to get past it something would happen on Earth and he'd have to return to save the day and forgo his freedom. Then when he finally escaped for good and returned to Zenn-La it turned out that Shalla-Ba was the new Empress and the two of them still couldn't be together so he left the planet and would only return when it was in danger. Then hooked up with Mantis but thought she died when the Elder's of the Universe kidnapped her and Shalla-Ba. He was tricked into participating in the Kree/Skrull world and had to promise never to even visit Zenn-La again to keep the planet out of the conflict. Then he found Mantis again on Earth but lost her the same day when she took off to find her child.

When he finally managed to get back to Zenn-La he found that the entire planet had been taken away by the Great One to live in a state of immortality. He managed to find a way in and was set to live with Shalla-Ba forever, but the Great One flipped out and was critically injured in a battle with Surfer and nearly dragged Zenn-La and countless other worlds into death with him. Surfer managed to save ALMOST everyone but couldn't reach Shalla-Ba in time and lost her yet again. And afterwards, the people of Zenn-La spurned him for costing them their immortality and Empress. Later on he made a deal with Adam Warlock to return Shalla-Ba to the land of the living and they succeeded in their endeavours, but at the end of the story she was still Empress and they still couldn't be together.

Then he lost Nova in battle with Morg and was tricked by a disguised Mephisto into thinking that she was alive and ready to stay with him in a bid for Surfer's soul. When he finally discovered the ruse and won his soul back from Meph, he went back to Zenn-La and found Shalla-Ba married to his half brother(that he never even knew about).

And after all his efforts to return home, he later finds out that everything he's known of Zenn-La since his service with Galactus had been a lie. The entire planet was killed by an alien race shortly after he left the planet and was replaced by a complex illusion by Galactus so that Surfer would eventually have somewhere to go home to.

And that's just the tragedies I can think of off the top of my head, I'm positive he's got plenty more in his history.

HueyFreeman
Originally posted by darthgoober
Surfer's history is filled with tragedy. He discovered his mother dead by her own hand when he was a child and spent most of his life blaming himself for her death. He had to leave Shalla-Ba to serve Galactus, and while he did want more adventure than Zenn-La had to offer, he wanted her to be there for the adventure. He was continuously finding ways around Galactus's barrier to return to her, but everytime he managed to get past it something would happen on Earth and he'd have to return to save the day and forgo his freedom. Then when he finally escaped for good and returned to Zenn-La it turned out that Shalla-Ba was the new Empress and the two of them still couldn't be together so he left the planet and would only return when it was in danger. Then hooked up with Mantis but thought she died when the Elder's of the Universe kidnapped her and Shalla-Ba. He was tricked into participating in the Kree/Skrull world and had to promise never to even visit Zenn-La again to keep the planet out of the conflict. Then he found Mantis again on Earth but lost her the same day when she took off to find her child.

When he finally managed to get back to Zenn-La he found that the entire planet had been taken away by the Great One to live in a state of immortality. He managed to find a way in and was set to live with Shalla-Ba forever, but the Great One flipped out and was critically injured in a battle with Surfer and nearly dragged Zenn-La and countless other worlds into death with him. Surfer managed to save ALMOST everyone but couldn't reach Shalla-Ba in time and lost her yet again. And afterwards, the people of Zenn-La spurned him for costing them their immortality and Empress. Later on he made a deal with Adam Warlock to return Shalla-Ba to the land of the living and they succeeded in their endeavours, but at the end of the story she was still Empress and they still couldn't be together.

Then he lost Nova in battle with Morg and was tricked by a disguised Mephisto into thinking that she was alive and ready to stay with him in a bid for Surfer's soul. When he finally discovered the ruse and won his soul back from Meph, he went back to Zenn-La and found Shalla-Ba married to his half brother(that he never even knew about).

And after all his efforts to return home, he later finds out that everything he's known of Zenn-La since his service with Galactus had been a lie. The entire planet was killed by an alien race shortly after he left the planet and was replaced by a complex illusion by Galactus so that Surfer would eventually have somewhere to go home to.

And that's just the tragedies I can think of off the top of my head, I'm positive he's got plenty more in his history. Damn I did not know that last part. Thats a nut kick from Galactus.

Phantom Zone
Originally posted by HueyFreeman
Damn I did not know that last part. Thats a nut kick from Galactus.

Neither did I, man thats gotta hurt. To be fair G was just trying to be nice its the aliens that f*cked things up. Another retcon?

Cartesian Doubt
Originally posted by tjcoady
My guess is because it's written by a non-comics website and they went with characters that people who don't regularly read comics might have a chance of recognizing.

I disagree, read the summary's they're clearly written by someone who reads the actual comic books.

Blanket
Superman

Originally posted by chomperx9
ok yeah that was kinda lame what i posted ^ lol. And the difference between that and your regular posts is... ?

darthgoober
Damn I did not know that last part. Thats a nut kick from Galactus.
One of the saddest things I've ever seen in comics was when the illusion finally crumbled...

http://i498.photobucket.com/albums/rr347/darthgoober/Silver_Surfer_1996_122_07.jpg
http://i498.photobucket.com/albums/rr347/darthgoober/Silver_Surfer_1996_122_08.jpg
http://i498.photobucket.com/albums/rr347/darthgoober/Silver_Surfer_1996_122_09.jpg
http://i498.photobucket.com/albums/rr347/darthgoober/Silver_Surfer_1996_122_10.jpg
http://i498.photobucket.com/albums/rr347/darthgoober/Silver_Surfer_1996_122_11.jpg
http://i498.photobucket.com/albums/rr347/darthgoober/Silver_Surfer_1996_122_16.jpg
http://i498.photobucket.com/albums/rr347/darthgoober/Silver_Surfer_1996_122_17.jpg
http://i498.photobucket.com/albums/rr347/darthgoober/Silver_Surfer_1996_122_18.jpg
http://i498.photobucket.com/albums/rr347/darthgoober/Silver_Surfer_1996_122_19.jpg
http://i498.photobucket.com/albums/rr347/darthgoober/Silver_Surfer_1996_122_20.jpg
http://i498.photobucket.com/albums/rr347/darthgoober/Silver_Surfer_1996_122_21.jpg
http://i498.photobucket.com/albums/rr347/darthgoober/Silver_Surfer_1996_122_22.jpg

darthgoober
Originally posted by darthgoober

And that's just the tragedies I can think of off the top of my head, I'm positive he's got plenty more in his history.
I was just rereading some of Surfer's stuff and I realized that I was in error on that last part. Zenn-La was destroyed in 1947, not right after Surfer left. Of course that's kinda even worse since it means that Shalla-Ba waited around for Norrin to return for thousands of years only to die 20 something years before she would have gotten to see him again...

Wei Phoenix
Originally posted by -Pr-
Superboy Prime used to be tragic. Now he's just a little douchebag who deserves everything he gets.

Kris Blaze
Superboy Prime used to have a tragic history.

Now the character has become tragic.

Phantom Zone
Originally posted by Wei Phoenix

Yeah sure because if you went through that your sure that you wouldn't turn out messed up.

However I can see how he become tiresome now.

chomperx9
Originally posted by Blanket
Superman

And the difference between that and your regular posts is... ? hey just trying to fit in with u guys thats all

steverules_2
Originally posted by chomperx9
hey just trying to fit in with u guys thats all

We don't take too kindly to your kind round 'ere ahah

chomperx9
Originally posted by steverules_2
We don't take too kindly to your kind round 'ere ahah i forgot what movie was that from

steverules_2
I got it from a south park episode smile The one with the sexual harassment panda

chomperx9
I got it from a south park episode smile The one with the sexual harassment panda oh yeah. that line sounded familiar. hey we dont kindly to folks who dont sue people around here.

steverules_2
It seemed right for this situation

Though I gotta say I never really considered superman to have a depressing life, he lost his real parents...yes, and he lost pa Kent BUT to be honest he's never actually had that much of a depressing life considering other heroes

tjcoady
It seemed right for this situation

Though I gotta say I never really considered superman to have a depressing life, he lost his real parents...yes, and he lost pa Kent BUT to be honest he's never actually had that much of a depressing life considering other heroes

Parents he's never known.

Pa Kent died when he Clark was like, a thirty something man. OOOh, really depressing.

Other than that, he has the universal adoration of the Earth, he's seen wonders beyond imaging, is married to a hot, intellegent reporter, has a kick-ass job even in his "non-Superman" time, and hangs out with Batman.

Superman has no claim at all to be on a list of depressed characters.

HueyFreeman
John Constantine is pretty tragic as well.
-Abusive father who hated him because of his mothers death during childbirth
-He almost got raped by a preacher when he was 14.
- Practically every friend in his life was butchered just for knowing him.
- One of his first real jobs where he had to rescue an abused little girl resulted in her being dragged to hell and him taking the fall for molesting her.
-was in an insane asylum for a while
-Had lung cancer for a while only to be saved by the first of the fallen for a later date.
- Partially responsible for his sister(one of the few who actually loved him) being dragged to hell.
-Has children by a demon who want nothing more than to torture him.
-Made a contract with the devil that guarantees he goes to hell once he dies.

steverules_2
Parents he's never known.

Pa Kent died when he Clark was like, a thirty something man. OOOh, really depressing.

Other than that, he has the universal adoration of the Earth, he's seen wonders beyond imaging, is married to a hot, intellegent reporter, has a kick-ass job even in his "non-Superman" time, and hangs out with Batman.

Superman has no claim at all to be on a list of depressed characters.

Exactly, thats my point...superman doesn't really have a depressing life. Losing Pa Kent I'm sure was a sad/depressing moment for Supes, but other than that...nothing to be depressed or sad about

willRules
Wolverine

Martian_mind
Martian Manhunter is depressing as hell.

His brother killed his mother and went on a raping spree,Jonn's wife included.He had to live through his whole race dying, because of the brother he chose to spare,felt every death telepathically and then when he tried to stop his wife from catching the disease off his daughter,her last act was to punch him across the room,and then he cut himself off completely from their minds,and had to watch his wife and child burn to death in front of him.

He then attempted to commit suicide by killing the brother that caused it,yet despite his best efforts survived the fight,and had to wander mars for thousands of years in isolation, before being ripped to a foreign world,where the first person Jonn built a mindlink with died of a heart attack upon seeing him.

He then joined a superteam,but temporarily lost his memory,and the entirety of that team was killed...

His brother then rocked up,murdered a chick who was in love with Jonn and temporarily had the league think he was a murderer.Jonn then had to kill his own brother by lobbing him and an entire city into the sun.

He then found love and the only person he could have "martian" sex with on Saturn,but had to leave her behind because of their respective duties.

Then he started up a relationship with Scorch,only to get possessed and put her in a coma.He then found 5 other surviving martians,who were actually white martians being manipulated by an actual female green martian,the only one left alive...who wants to kill Jonn for allowing his brother to kill his race.

Then he spent his last days locked in a cage of fire,surrounded by supervillians,before being killed byhaving a flaming spear lobbed through his chest.

I'm sad now.

Darth Jello
Definitely agree with DD being #1.

I think Black Widow and Diamondback belong on that list too. I mean what's worse than having Crossbones murder your brother, beat and rape you repeatedly and then brainwash you?

tjcoady
John Constantine is pretty tragic as well.
-Abusive father who hated him because of his mothers death during childbirth
-He almost got raped by a preacher when he was 14.
- Practically every friend in his life was butchered just for knowing him.
- One of his first real jobs where he had to rescue an abused little girl resulted in her being dragged to hell and him taking the fall for molesting her.
-was in an insane asylum for a while
-Had lung cancer for a while only to be saved by the first of the fallen for a later date.
- Partially responsible for his sister(one of the few who actually loved him) being dragged to hell.
-Has children by a demon who want nothing more than to torture him.
-Made a contract with the devil that guarantees he goes to hell once he dies.

The one problem with Constantine is that he actually knows these things have a tendency to happen to him, and he does nothing to alleviate it.

Jamie Delano, way, WAY back in the Hellblazer run (OLDEST STILL CONTINUING VERTIGO BOOK BY LIKE... SEVENTY ISSUES), established that John wasn't the child who should have born... his brother, a perfect being was (I'm sure you remember this arc).

John gets into funks, and even gets depressed (eg: the "post-Kit" Ennis arc, in the states), but he gets himself out of them, eventually. He isn't particularly a depressing character because he's accepted his lot in life, and has decided, on the whole, he's okay with the drawbacks.

Man, I could write ****ing thesis about how John Constantine is.

HueyFreeman
The one problem with Constantine is that he actually knows these things have a tendency to happen to him, and he does nothing to alleviate it.

Jamie Delano, way, WAY back in the Hellblazer run (OLDEST STILL CONTINUING VERTIGO BOOK BY LIKE... SEVENTY ISSUES), established that John wasn't the child who should have born... his brother, a perfect being was (I'm sure you remember this arc).

John gets into funks, and even gets depressed (eg: the "post-Kit" Ennis arc, in the states), but he gets himself out of them, eventually. He isn't particularly a depressing character because he's accepted his lot in life, and has decided, on the whole, he's okay with the drawbacks.

Man, I could write ****ing thesis about how John Constantine is. He didn't really accept his role naturally. He created a whole separate entity and dropped all his guilt into it. (which later became a demon).

chomperx9
any character that only depends on their weapons when they have powers i find depressing. like pyro for example. if there no fire around he leaves his flame thrower at home he is screwed. HT is different cause he can create the flames on his own.

MR freeze i find depressing cause he sucks without his stupid ice gun.

Galan007
whoever doctor light's rape victim was.

Bouboumaster
Originally posted by Galan007
whoever doctor light's rape victim was.

LOL

Warlord
Daredevil: nice choise

psycho gundam
ego the living planet

or uatu

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.