Should Every Horror Game have RE4 Gameplay?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Nemesis X
Do you think every horror game should have RE4 gameplay?

Wei Phoenix
No then there would be little difference between those games.

ArtificialGlory
Originally posted by Nemesis X

Absolutely not.

Nemesis X
Why not? Dead Space did well with it.

ArtificialGlory
Why not? Dead Space did well with it.

Dead Space is just one game. If every horror game mimicked RE4, then we would have a truckload of boring clones. We've seen that FPS works well for a horror game. Though fixed camera like in RE2, RE3, Silent Hill, etc. is probably still the best for survival horror, in my opinion.

RE4 and RE5 feel more like action games than horror games anyway.

Neo Darkhalen
No, simply no.

jaden101
Originally posted by ArtificialGlory
Though fixed camera like in RE2, RE3, Silent Hill, etc. is probably still the best for survival horror, in my opinion.

I agree...It gives more of a creepy sense of being watched. Although I wouldn't mind a choice of fixed camera positions as sometimes the old RE games were guilty of not allowing you to see the bad guys who could be just off screen...Thus making it a bit difficult to aim properly.

I do love RE4 though...Not so much 5...That really did just feel like an action game.

Smasandian
Maybe fixed camera angles might add to the tension and intensity but they control like a *****.

You can have scary ass games with a behind the shoulder viewpoint. RE4 was freaky because it didn't rely on the usual things jump out/one light bulb in the room.

It freaked you out because the game enclosed the space around you. The first village was crazy because you were constantly surrounded.

General Kaliero
No.

ArtificialGlory
Originally posted by Smasandian
Maybe fixed camera angles might add to the tension and intensity but they control like a *****.

You can have scary ass games with a behind the shoulder viewpoint. RE4 was freaky because it didn't rely on the usual things jump out/one light bulb in the room.

It freaked you out because the game enclosed the space around you. The first village was crazy because you were constantly surrounded.

Hrrrm, I don't know. The last game I played with a fixed camera was DMC4 and it didn't control like a *****... for the most part.

Smasandian
Is that a survival horror game?

And Devil May Cry 4 does not have a fixed camera.

ArtificialGlory
Is that a survival horror game?

And Devil May Cry 4 does not have a fixed camera.

It has fixed angles.

Smasandian
Originally posted by ArtificialGlory
It has fixed angles.

A fixed camera angle is a camera that does not move.

In Devil May Cry 4, it has some fixed angles but the camera moves with the character.

In Resident Evil, the camera stays in one spot.

Impediment
Absolutely not. If they were identical to RE4, then where is the room for evolution and growth? All we would have is a series of predictable clones.

Kazenji
No, every game should'nt have the same sort of gameplay as RE 4 just got boring same old shit getting recycled

just take a look at the WW2 game genre.

jinXed by JaNx
Most horror games feel like Resident Evil. The only differences are control schemes and camera control. I prefer a controllable camera and smoother gameplay but for the most part i feel most survival horror games ARE the same.

Smasandian
I think newer horror games should take RE4 in consideration when developing the game.

Similar to how Half Life revolutionized the FPS genre, RE4 was pretty damn important for horror games. Maybe developers should not copy what RE4 did but at least understand what the game did for the genre.

To me, I would rather have RE4 viewpoint than anything else for 3rd person horror games.

§P0oONY
I don't consider RE4 a horror game, it's more or a 3rd person action shooter.

jalek moye

Alpha Centauri

Smasandian
Pretty much.

jaden101
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
It doesn't matter what you consider it.

It's actually a game that is part of the horror genre. Perhaps action horror, but horror nonetheless.

I don't find Black Christmas to be a scary movie, but it is a horror.

-AC

Please don't start the labelling crap with films like what pedantic arsholes do with music. It really isn't neccessary. We all know what it's labelled as. We're just commenting on the fact that it doesn't, at times, feel like a horror game.

nonononono
edit

occultdestroyer
No.

If that happens, all the horror games would become redundant, just like every FPS we have in the market right now.

It would be nice to see a RE4/Silent Hill game that incorporates some fix angles and moving angles like DMC.

Alpha Centauri
Considering Devil May Cry exists because it wasn't good enough to be a Resident Evil, I don't think the series needs to take any pointers from it.

-AC

ByakuyaKuchiki
Gideon's been talking about you behind your back in the Star Wars versus forum. laughing out loud

BackFire
I don't even think the next RE game should have RE4 gameplay. It's time for them to innovate again.

Smasandian
Probably not but I'm not a big fan of game sequel changing gameplay just for the sake of changing.

I'm all for changing it up if its going to be good. I'll be surprised if they get rid of the viewpoint, it just works so well.

Sin_Volvagia

If you mean free movement and camera controls, it could work. But there would have to be less firepower and no Hollywood stunts since the character must have the odds against him/her if we want a true horror game.

Alpha Centauri
Probably not but I'm not a big fan of game sequel changing gameplay just for the sake of changing.

I'm all for changing it up if its going to be good. I'll be surprised if they get rid of the viewpoint, it just works so well.

So did the original one, though. Then, so did Code: Veronica's one, and thus so did 4 and 5's.

They'll definitely change it up, they've said so. Even if they don't, at least we know they can't go wrong.

-AC

StyleTime
Originally posted by occultdestroyer
It would be nice to see a RE4/Silent Hill game that incorporates some fix angles and moving angles like DMC.
Silent Hill has incorporated both mobile and stationary frames since the very first installment, and it accomplishes far more with those cinematographic elements than Devil May Cry.

There's absolutely nothing Silent Hill stands to gain creatively from Devil May Cry.

Smasandian
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
So did the original one, though. Then, so did Code: Veronica's one, and thus so did 4 and 5's.

They'll definitely change it up, they've said so. Even if they don't, at least we know they can't go wrong.

-AC

I hate the original controls just like I hate the controls from the first MGS.

Kazenji
just like I hate the controls from the first MGS.

not much changed in the sequals..........

occultdestroyer
Originally posted by StyleTime
Silent Hill has incorporated both mobile and stationary frames since the very first installment, and it accomplishes far more with those cinematographic elements than Devil May Cry.

There's absolutely nothing Silent Hill stands to gain creatively from Devil May Cry.
Yeah, I agree.

Silent Hill game mechanics should be incorporated to at least one RE game.

Smasandian
Originally posted by Kazenji
not much changed in the sequals..........

I guess I should say viewpoint but I put those two together usually, but there was a change in controls and viewpoint from the first to the last MGS.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.