How to make drum parts without the drums?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Earthkanu
Hey all, I'm working on writing a new song, and I'm at a sticking point right now. It needs drums, but I don't have access to a drumset, I don't play drums, and I have no means for recording a drumset. All the other stuff - guitar, bass, vocals - are all finished, just need to record them, but the drums are holding me up. I tried making some drum sounds in Fruity Loops, but obviously it just loops...if there's something out there that would allow me to just write the drum part from beginning to end using sound samples, that would solve my problem. Obviously, this is just for demo purposes, but it's one of those things where I need to get it down soon before other things get in the way. I'm sure at least one of you knows what I'm talking about lol.

Darth Jello
find a friend who's an actual drummer and can record. Natural drums sound better anyway. And if that doesn't work, you could try what the Young Marble Giants did throughout their career and build a drum machine out of a broken rotary phone receiver.

Tptmanno1
If you have access to recording software and a Midi controller, you could use Reason. You can get rather realistic sounding drums out of Reason.

Doctor-Alvis
There's Power Tabs or Guitar Pro. I don't know if you'd want to use those for an album, I'm by no means an expert, but you can write drum parts in those programs. As well as all the other parts.

occultdestroyer
You can use a sampler with drum recordings or a keyboard

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.