Who remembers.....

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

mechmoggy
Monkey, the eighties kung fu phenomenon that seemed to be my only reason for living as a child?

I've been thinking about looking for it on DVD recently to recapture my youth, has anyone any ideas where I could get this classic programme?

Here's a piccy to remind you all of the monkey man himself: -

mah
never heard of said monkey

Ushgarak
Monkey Magic! Bring on the cloud!

mah
monkey magic, is it? you can buy that at dvdsoon.com, mech

Tex
I used to watch all those cheesy 'American Ninja' movies when I was little.

Fire
don't know it, so I dunno mech sorry

Dim
Must be a Brit thing.

Dexx
probably..nvr hrd of it either

Ushgarak
DEFINITELY not British! Japanese (though based on Chinese mythology...)

Raz
Must have been before my time.

Anyway I've seen this weird creature in HMV. Check Amazon.co.uk - they should have it.

Fitch
don't know it,sry mech.and probably it's chinese.japanese don't have movie backgroud....as far as I know.

mah
what do you mean fitch?

Orpheus
Mech, Have a look at the following URL
http://www.monkeyheaven.com/

Orpheus
It looks like the DVDs are being released on the third of february.

Fitch
I mean japanese don't have many movies relesed.chinese have lots of movies....they even had many great actors and acting schools....
and btw I remember it.Saw it a while ago on HBO...

mah
"japanese dont have many movies released" ?? well obviously the chinese have more, but has that got anything to do with this tv-show being japanese?

Fitch
no mate.I was talking to ush,trying to explain him that it cannot be japanese.....

finti
never saw it

Ushgarak
Ok, Fitch, so the fact that it IS Japanese (and, incidentally, not a film) means little to you then, presumably?

mechmoggy
I loved this programme as a kid, but I'm a little worried that it won't be as funny and interesting now I'm all grown up (Oh yeah really mature roll eyes (sarcastic) ). The same type of thing happened when I got Danger Mouse on DVD last xmas, it was good and funny but nowhere near as good as it was when I was a nipper.

I'll probably buy the DVD's when they come out, that way I can get some old friends round for a day of Monkey Magic and beer consumption. Sweeeeeet. big grin

finti
hmm

mechmoggy
Are you "hmm"ing at the beer or the monkey?

finti
it is a hmm for "what is this crap all about", or abooot as the canadian says,

mechmoggy
Monkey Magic was absolutely huge over here in the 80's Finti, if you ask any bloke over the age of 23 about Monkey Magic they will always say, "Moooooooooooonkeeeeeeyyyyyyyyy!", in the same way it was said in the programme.

I spent many a school break time running round the playground pretending to be the monkey man. big grin

finti
why didnt you stop doing that Mech

mechmoggy
Who says I haven't? embarrasment

finti
you just did do it

mechmoggy
That was on the school playground, but we have a loading yard at the back of my work place though.....

finti
we saw it on a web cam

mechmoggy
Moooooooooooonkeeeeeeyyyyyyyyy!

finti
whatever

Saiyuuki
Hi, I'm the webmaster of http://www.monkeyheaven.com/ - just thought I'd shed some light on the TV show "Monkey" that someone was asking about.
It's a Japanese live-action TV show from 1978, which was dubbed into English, shown in the UK, Australia and New Zealand - but was never shown in the USA or Canada.
The TV show "Monkey Magic" is a much newer animated adaptation of the same series.
The Monkey DVDs consists of 52 episodes released across 13 DVDs. The first 7 DVDs have already been released, with DVDs 8 - 13 being released in 2003, starting this month.
For full details on the DVDs, release dates, where to order etc., see this page on my web site:
http://www.monkeyheaven.com/dvds.html

Hope this helps wink

By the way, for those in the UK, Monkey will be returning to UK terrestrial TV in under 2 weeks' time - it will be screened on Channel 4 at 12.30am on Friday evenings, starting Friday 24 January 2003.

Let me know if you have any more questions, and I'll do my best to help.

Fitch
thx man.nice info, you must be a great fan.......

Raz
OK, anyone else remember Dungeons & Dragons, The Mysterious Cities of Gold, Thundercats and of course He-Man!

Those were the types of cartoons I grew up with.

Ushgarak
Yup, all of them...

finti
not too many cartoons on tv when I was younger, Just had on tv channel in Norway and the children programs sucked. Little House on the prairie

Fitch
great cartoons,what memories......

phinney6
I grew up on Garfield the cat, Ninja turtles and others. Garfield was my fav.

finti
I thought the yanks loved Gi Joe

mechmoggy
Yup.

You, Ush and I are about the same age so all those are classics in my book. Do you also remember a cartoon about this guy lost in space with a little red robot, it was called "Ullycies" or something like that. Thats so old I can hardly remember what it was about now.

My other favourite childhood programmes were: -

Danger Mouse
Duck Tales
Inspector Gadget
Count Duckula
Mr. Ben
King Rolo
Pigeon Street (Who remembers "Long distance Clara"?)

Ushgarak
Ulysses, a sci-fi cartoon re-telling of The Odyssey, with the theme tune notable for the "Ulysee-ee-ee-ee-ees" chorus.

The robot was No-no

Long Distance Clara... why, she could drive right across the Sahara!

mechmoggy
It was a song they seemed to sing in every episode of Pigeon Street, one that seems to pop into my head every now and again. I can't tell you how thankful I was when an old friend from school said he'd never forget it either.

I also have a vivid memory of one episode of "James the cat" when James was being rather rude and actually farted at the end. Strange I can not remember any other episode of it before or after that magical one. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Ushgarak
But at night, it;s his delight, la-la-la-la-la-la, lalalaaaa... to go dancing... dancing... dancing with his wife, Doreen...

Sorry, I loved Pigeon Street. It was just so pointlessly banal for a kid's programme.

mechmoggy
I think King Rolo was made by the same people, sometimes it was difficult telling the two appart.

Ushgarak
What about Bric-a-brac and choc-a-bloc?

mechmoggy
They ring a bell, were they made by the same people too?

I'm a little ashamed to say this but Grange Hill scared the life outta me when I was really young. Why couldn't Zammo "just say no", just like the song said.... sad

Ushgarak
Or age at all... as you may understand if you saw him on Never Mind the Buzzcocks.

mechmoggy
Yeah, he looked exactly the same didn't he! laughing out loud

I always remember the scouse kid getting grief off all the lil cockney's too, "...you what? you what? you what you what you what?...". Very funny indeed.

Ushgarak
Bring back Tukcer!

They have burnt down Grange Hill now, I believe.

queeq
THat was great!

mechmoggy
Lets just hope Roland was still in there then.

"You've ate too many crisps again, haven't you Roland?". laughing out loud

finti
roland the headless thompson gunner?

Saiyuuki

Raz
How come I missed out on Monkey?? Weird.

From your list I remember all of them, except for the last three.

About 'Mysterious Cities of Gold', I used to love that show but I missed the ending - so when it turned up on eBay one day I got all 15 CDs big grin

mechmoggy
You geek! roll eyes (sarcastic)

*Whispers*

Didn't the City of Gold just turn out to be a city that looked golden cause of the sunlight? What a jip!!

Ushgarak
Mendoza has to be the second coolest kids charatcer ever- coolest being Han Solo.

mechmoggy
*Slaps forehead*

Thats where I've heard the name before!

I've been drinking this cheap (I think) Chilean red wine called "Mendoza" and I've had many a drunken mind grapple with the origin of the name.

Thank you Ush, tonight I can get drunk without the voices in my head.

Raz
Hey, I can get pretty obsessive if needs be. big grin

Ushgarak
I have served Mech well...

mechmoggy
You didn't answer my question though Raz?

Please tell me, otherwise I'll probably go buy them too!

Raz
Hey I only said I bought them. I haven't actually gotten to the point of watching them!

Alas I just don't have the time sad

Orpheus
Blimey guys this takes me back. I have to join the crew and say I can remember all the show you've mentioned.

Not that I saw them that often, we were a one telly family and my sister seemed to be better at hogging the telly than me.

mechmoggy
Which recently famous bird said they hadn't got telly as a kid, was it Sophie Ellis whatsherface?

Thats really terrible though, bordering on child abuse really. I can't imagine how my childhood would have been without TV. eek!

mah
healthier?

finti
well we had just one tv channel when I grew up and the tv didnt start until 18:00 hours so....... but then They found out Norway would be a good country to build out the cable and sattelite network so from 1982 it was tv all day long, but then I was 14 and it was more fun being out raising hell , girls and booze and friday and saturdays fights

mechmoggy
Of course I discovered birds and booze around the age of 15 Finti, I'm talking about the age of 10-14 when the TV programme listing was my bible.

Ushgarak
It so happens that Monkey is on TONIGHT, at 12:35, on Channel 4. Apparently they have gotten their hands on 13 episodes never shown in the UK before.

finti
and as I mentioned at the age of 10-13 we just had one tv channel here in Norway and it was not worth watching at all so we played football

Raz
I'll probably set my recorder for this, and find out what the fuss is about. *hugs TiVo*

mechmoggy
Wait a minute, is it on tonight or tomorrow?

Fitch
probably for you tommorow...but I got into 24th....smokin'

mah
the words Friday 24th January 2003 should give you a hint mech

finti
laughing out loud

mechmoggy
I know that you donuts!

Ush said it would be on 23rd and Raz said 24th. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Ushgarak
No I didn't, I said it would be on "TONIGHT at 12:35." Obviously that was at the very start of Friday 24th! Unless you wanted me to be so literal as to say tomorrow morning!

Fitch
just a confusion...it happens.

mechmoggy
I bloody missed it anyway. sad

BAN-ONE MCGUINN
sorry im late brothers--on the east coast it was
The Monkees perhaps someone was refering to spank the monkey?

Captain REX
You guys are all feeling old aren't you. stick out tongue

mechmoggy
Now the monkey's I liked too.

Daydream Believer is a classic song. I hope Finti blesses us with a verse or two. big grin

Fitch
as he always does

mechmoggy
*Shakes fist in Homer Simpson style*

Siiiiiiiiing it!

Fitch
plz....don't hurt me.......big grin.it's finti that you want....

Raz
Its on again on the 31st:

Fitch
too bad I don't see Channel 4.Anyway I've seen it on HBO some time ago...

BAN-ONE MCGUINN
"cheer up sleepy Jean, oh what can mean, to ,a day dream believer, and a homecoming queen,

Dexx
i don't recall this on HBO, fitch

Saiyuuki

Mujaffa
you northern ****** monkeys

Fitch
It was on HBO or ProTV.Don't remember very well.Anyway,I've seen it

Saiyuuki
Monkey episode 3 - "The Great Journey Begins" will be shown on Thursday night on Channel 4, 45 minutes after midnight, at 12.45am.
For viewers in Wales, episode 2 will be on S4C at 1.00am after midnight tonight!
Episode 3 will follow at the same time next Wednesday night, so they're 6 days behind Channel 4.

Following on from Monkey episode 1 getting 1/4 million viewers, this was DOUBLED for episode 2; 1/2 million viewers watched it on Channel 4 last Thursday night! So it's looking like word is getting around that Monkey is back on TV... Remember, the more viewers the show gets, the more likely Channel 4 is to screen all 52 episodes!

So keep watching it, and tell everyone you know that Monkey is back on TV!
Something to remember about Monkey is that, unlike a lot of its contemporary shows back in the 1980s, Monkey _does_ stand the test of time, and it's not just for kids - it's even better watching it again as an adult (it works on many levels).
A quote I saw in a magazine review of the show recently: "Monkey - great to watch as a kid, EVEN BETTER as an adult."

This week's episode "The Great Journey Begins" is the one where the whole gang get together and begin their journey proper. One of the highlights of this episode is when Monkey meets Pigsy for the first time on Earth (remember they met in Heaven in episode 1), and have an epic fight! This episode really illustrates just *how good* a fighter Pigsy is with his muckrake!

Here's my synopsis of this episode... (as featured on the videos & DVDs)

Episode 3 (Thursday 6 February 2003 night, after midnight): 12.45am - 01.35am
(i.e. after midnight on *Thursday night*)
The Great Journey Begins
Tripitaka and the ever-impatient Monkey begin their perilous journey. Arriving at a village terrorised by a greedy and lustful monster, Monkey thus faces the wrath of Pigsy and his deadly muckrake. To cross the Mighty River of Flowing Sands, they must first pass the cannibalistic water monster Sandy. A sandstorm, an army of tiger ghosts - will Tripitaka end up as cat food, or will Monkey save the day?

Don't miss it!

By the way, if you missed the first 2 episodes, check out the episode accounts on these pages so you can catch up with the story so far:
Episode 1: http://www.monkeyheaven.com/summaries_s1e1.html
Episode 2: http://www.monkeyzone.net/episodes/epis2.htm

For the latest news and info on Monkey, keep checking out http://www.monkeyheaven.com/
Currently, I'm featuring information on how you can get involved in a Monkey sticker campaign in the UK, to publicise the DVDs, by putting up stickers in your home town / city - visit the site to find out how you can get involved.

Also, I have an exclusive offer on http://www.monkeyheaven.com/ where you can buy some or all of the first 7 Monkey DVDs at a reduced price, and get free t-shirts, posters and postcards in the deal.

Note that I don't always get time to check out the messages in this forum, so if you have any burning questions about Monkey, please visit http://www.monkeyheaven.com/ and send me your questions directly from there.

Fitch
hmmm...too bad I'm not in Wales.......

finti
you should be glad big grinbig grin

mah
it always rains in wales

BAN-ONE MCGUINN
so lets all bring rain slickers to wales -ill bring popcorn and ice cold pepsi

Tex
I'll bring a smile

Fitch
belive me I'm gladbig grin.I was just beeing sarcastic.....

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.