Protoss Scout vs. Listening post (SFC I)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

FE Expert
Setting: In the Sara system

For some reason, the Protoss Federation suspects that the UFP is spying on them through a spaceborne listening post. They send a Scout to attack it.

Remember, Starfleet Command 1 is a TOS-based game, so the yields of the weapons won't be the same as TNG-era ships (such as the Fek'lhr science ships.) Plus, Federation listening posts are canonically shown not to be able to move at all, and are armed with two shipboard phasers.

(Dedicated space stations designed to serve as listening posts originated from this game, with two security guards inside it)

XanatosForever
Realistically (sort of), the scout could web up the listening post and just take its time. I don't think the phasers will be too effective, either.

FE Expert
Effective phaser range is about 80,000 km while the effective range of either the anti-matter missiles (fired in pairs) or the photon beams could be lower than 80,000 km.

And Scouts aren't armed with disruption webs (Corsairs are)...

These things fly at 20 km/s at the fastest.

XanatosForever
Shoot, you're right. My mistake. 80K km range? Jeez, that seems a bit much. erm

FE Expert
The canonical clue as to how fast Starcraft ships are: the slowest ship could achieve atmospherical re-entry, and then return to deep space. That would be close to the speed of rockets, somewhat slower than the liberation speed since they are still under power when they fly out of a planet's atmoshpere. Hence about 10 km/s for a Behemoth-class battlecruiser or the Gantrithor (Tassadar's flagship; a super carrier)

Since "point-defense" phasers (the phasers mounted on listening posts are used for point-defense on capital ships) don't do much damage at 80,000 km to a Scout's shields, and going to increase as the Scout closes in on the listening post (at 20-25 km/s it's going to take a good fraction of an hour.)

It really depends on if the listening post's gunners can take out the missile launcher before the Scout comes into range. Because the fore shields are probably down by the time the Scout is within missile range from the listening post. Said missile has a yield like a photon torpedo.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.