If I know nothing can I be responsible for anything?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

coberst

inimalist
in very few ideologies is ignorance enough to vindicate one of all responsibility.

Certainly knowingly and deliberately doing something bears more responsibility than not knowing what to do, or doing something in ignorance of the consequences, however, unless we delve into the idiotic extremes of relativism, not knowing is not the same as not being responsible.

The law, in fact, is built around this premise. The standard for knowing is if a reasonable person should have been able to know, and ignorance of the law is not a valid legal defense.

Lord Lucien
If you know nothing, then you're either a newborn with an undeveloped brain, or you're dead. So no, you're not responsible.

coberst
We humans remain ignorant because we want to be ignorant. To be ignorant is to consider one's self to be blameless for whatever happens. We are fearful of freedom. We think that freedom is a state of irresponsibility and ignorance shields us from responsibility.

I do not think that this is in our genes but it is a result of the society that we have created.

I think that we can create a better society and we must start by becoming self-actualizing self-learners and Critical Thinking independent fair-minded citizens.

Placidity
Willful Ignorance - Gets smashed in a court of law, so yes.

Placidity
'

Mindship
Originally posted by coberst
We think that freedom is a state of irresponsibility and ignorance shields us from responsibility.Nicely phrased. It's childish thinking, eg, "I can do whatever I want" and "But I didn't mean to..."

I do not think that this is in our genes but it is a result of the society that we have created. Ignorance is a lower-energy state (less to be aware of = less attentional energy), so I think there is some genetic influence. But society does foster, to one degree or another, dependence. Capitalistically, this means dependence on products and services promising to improve quality of life so we don't have to make the effort ourselves. Eg, you wanna lose weight? Why take responsibility for what you put in your mouth when a diet pill or electric ab machine will do the work for you (or so it is hoped).

I think that we can create a better society and we must start by becoming self-actualizing self-learners and Critical Thinking independent fair-minded citizens. This looks like a job for Paradigm Shift Man.

Mandrag Ganon
Originally posted by coberst
I think that we can create a better society and we must start by becoming self-actualizing self-learners and Critical Thinking independent fair-minded citizens.

I actually agree with this statement, but good luck getting anyone to actually work toward that goal. Not to mention there would have to be an over-haul of various educational policies to allow this to take place, thanks to standardised testing being held in such high regard America, atleast, has become a nation of test takers and are loosing our independant thinkers.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.