Resident Evil: Horror or Action?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Nemesis X
Do you like Resident Evil as a horror franchise or an action franchise?

Impediment
RE has always been a mixture of both, really.

The first 3 RE games were genuinely creepy, but never true horror, if you ask me. Borderline sci-fi? Oh, yes.

RE4 and 5 are truly action games.

Honestly, I wish that the next RE game would stick with the same new formula, but go back to a more horrific stand point.

ArtificialGlory
Originally posted by Impediment

The first 3 RE games were genuinely creepy, but never true horror, if you ask me. Borderline sci-fi? Oh, yes.

Honestly, I wish that the next RE game would stick with the same new formula, but go back to a more horrific stand point.

I agree. Though we must keep in mind that not everyone has the same definition of horror. I bet that there are plenty of people who were/are horrified by the the first 3 main games. Even I agree that they are horror, despite the fact that I was never really scared by them. Startled sometimes, but not scared.

From what I've seen on RE4/5, they are 95% action, 5% horror... at best.

Nemesis X
I personally like Resident Evil as a horror franchise. The Resident Evil REmake alone made me want to have a heart attack from time to time. Crimson heads rushing at you, zombies popping out of nowhere, and those friggin hounds bursting through windows.

ArtificialGlory
Originally posted by Nemesis X
I personally like Resident Evil as a horror franchise. The Resident Evil REmake alone made me want to have a heart attack from time to time. Crimson heads rushing at you, zombies popping out of nowhere, and those friggin hounds bursting through windows.

Sounds more like getting simply startled, not actually scared or horrified. Kinda like in Doom 3 stuff popping up behind you all the damn time.

Nemesis X
Originally posted by ArtificialGlory
Sounds more like getting simply startled, not actually scared or horrified. Kinda like in Doom 3 stuff popping up behind you all the damn time.

Yeah well, keep playing a horror game while you're six stick out tongue

Neo Darkhalen
They have never been real horror games, the giant spider boss fight or the giant plant in Res1 saw to that. There have been points that made me jump, or in the case of Res2 (and only Res2) the Zombies moans have scared me, but never the game itself, it is more survival then horror.

Unlike Silent Hill which is just terrifying. Anyway I agree Res 4 is more actionish, 5 is just an action game without a doubt, I like the style of 4/5 but I do wish they sort of went back to what gave the original 4 games (yes regardless Code Veronica is a game in the main series and is technically Resident evil 4) that certain charm, just having to reserve ammo and you know think about things, like puzzles and how to finish them really helps make Res stand out, since there is a lack of such things in 5, it does feel just like another shoot em up, and it kinda suffers from this.

Alpha Centauri
Why is everyone resorting to the "It's not scary to me, so it's not horror." nonsense?

I don't find The Exorcist scary. It's still very clearly a horror movie though.

Resident Evil has always been a horror game basis. It has grown to develop a more action-based game dynamic, but that doesn't change the genre. If ANYTHING, it's a horror/action game.

You get people saying it's never been a horror game, like Neo, who then cites Silent Hill as a horror. Silent Hill is a survival horror, and it came after Resident Evil...which more or less created (At least revived) the genre.

One or the other.

-AC

LilMimister006
Resident Evil lost it's "horror" in 4 and 5.

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by LilMimister006
Resident Evil lost it's "horror" in 4 and 5.

hor⋅ror

Noun.

1. An overwhelming and painful feeling caused by something frightfully shocking, terrifying, or revolting; a shuddering fear: to shrink back from a mutilated corpse in horror.

Adjective.

7. Inspiring or creating horror, loathing, aversion, etc.: The hostages told horror stories of their year in captivity.

8. Centered upon or depicting terrifying or macabre events: a horror movie.

So, yeahhh. Kinda never lost its horror.

The only horror it ever "lost" is the subjective horror that comes from being scared. We've established that not being scared doesn't then stop something being a horror.

We can move on now.

-AC

Nemesis X
RE4 had some horror in it but in RE5 it was lacking the horror which probably puzzled some fans on why Capcom took this direction.

Alpha Centauri
It wasn't lacking the horror was it?

Here, I know, it's baffling. Let's go back over the definition of horror, specifically the adjective:

hor-ror

-Adjective-

-AC

First_Tsurugi06
People can debate about it all they want, but the Regenerators are still one thing in terms of stock horror that RE4 has over RE5.

I think it was really just a different type of horror they were trying to approach in 4 and 5. The style of horror they were going for seemed like it was meant to, by a plot standpoint, better emphasize the idea of the term "biohazard" in ways that make it seem like something other than an excuse to put zombies and the occasional grotesque behemoths in it. In doing so, coupled with the new gameplay engine (which, regardless of how it affects the sense of horror, is still very solid in RE), the whole thing is more fast-paced which kind of gives a bigger impression of something like a survival game with more elements of suspense and adrenaline than horror.

Overall, it's not so much that the complaints people have about the recent RE's aren't legitimate, just a bit exaggerated.

Nemesis X
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
It wasn't lacking the horror was it?

Here, I know, it's baffling. Let's go back over the definition of horror, specifically the adjective:

hor-ror

-Adjective-

-AC

In previous Resident Evil games, players used to travel spooky zombie infested mansions and a city on their own and from time to time something would just pop out and spook ya while in Resident Evil 5, it's barely that scary. I still get spooked when I play RE2 and RE REmake so don't be telling me that I don't know horror.

-Pr-
The first game (on PS1, not the pretty yet infinitely easier remake) was a proper horror game. Not just in the technical definition, but it had genuinely creepy parts to it.

2 and 3 were more action oriented, but still retained a good portion of what made the 1st one great, as did Code Veronica (even if it was a step back from 3 game play wise).

4 and 5 aren't the typical zombie horror games that the others were, but that in no way lessens how simply messed up they were at times.

Nemesis X
Here is what makes Resident Evil less scary now.

1: Action on Steroids
Remember when you always felt helpless and vulnerable in Resident Evil while you got those zombies and other B.O.W.s on your tail? Well in RE4 and 5, you're a badass killing machine shooting at enemies like cardboard ducks at a carnival. When you play Leon or a roid monkey like Chris, it's less frightening.

2: Locations are less scary
Last I checked, a creepy mansion and zombie infested city alone made me freak out when I was little but in settings like Africa you just get that "meh" feeling.

3: Parasites.....Really?
Don't get me wrong, I do like the Las Plagas but when you think about them and the zombies at the same time, you'll realize which is more creepy. It just seems sad that what made RE scary got replaced by the likes of the Plagas.

4: So...Many....Weapons and Ammo!
I am disgusted by Capcom calling this a horror franchise now because the limit of ammo and weaponry always raises up the fear but now in the new RE it's weapons galore.

5: Why Delete the Hook Man?
It would seem that Capcom tried to take a supernatural direction with Resident Evil by putting in a mini-game in RE4 where Leon wanders into a haunted mansion filled with ghosts and moving inaminate objects but for some reason this creepy mini-game got deleted. Resident Evil would've gotten back up to a horror franchise if they kept that in there if you ask me.

Alpha Centauri
In previous Resident Evil games, players used to travel spooky zombie infested mansions and a city on their own and from time to time something would just pop out and spook ya while in Resident Evil 5, it's barely that scary. I still get spooked when I play RE2 and RE REmake so don't be telling me that I don't know horror.

It doesn't MATTER if you find it scary, what part of that do you find difficult to grasp? Seriously?

There are a lot of movies I do not find scary that are still clearly horror movies.

Stop being an idiot.

Here is what makes Resident Evil less scary now.

1: Action on Steroids
Remember when you always felt helpless and vulnerable in Resident Evil while you got those zombies and other B.O.W.s on your tail? Well in RE4 and 5, you're a badass killing machine shooting at enemies like cardboard ducks at a carnival. When you play Leon or a roid monkey like Chris, it's less frightening.

2: Locations are less scary
Last I checked, a creepy mansion and zombie infested city alone made me freak out when I was little but in settings like Africa you just get that "meh" feeling.

3: Parasites.....Really?
Don't get me wrong, I do like the Las Plagas but when you think about them and the zombies at the same time, you'll realize which is more creepy. It just seems sad that what made RE scary got replaced by the likes of the Plagas.

4: So...Many....Weapons and Ammo!
I am disgusted by Capcom calling this a horror franchise now because the limit of ammo and weaponry always raises up the fear but now in the new RE it's weapons galore.

5: Why Delete the Hook Man?
It would seem that Capcom tried to take a supernatural direction with Resident Evil by putting in a mini-game in RE4 where Leon wanders into a haunted mansion filled with ghosts and moving inaminate objects but for some reason this creepy mini-game got deleted. Resident Evil would've gotten back up to a horror franchise if they kept that in there if you ask me.

For the love of God.

NONE of that means it ISN'T a horror game at all. What is your issue? Tell me what you are having problems with.

I've explained it to you, definitively, why Resident Evil is still a horror and why YOU not finding it scary doesn't mean it isn't one. So then why are you continuing to insist it's not a horror?

What if someone didn't find the first one scary? Is that no longer a horror?

Also, stop with the bullshit of deciding for everyone what is and isn't scary. Some people may find Las Plagas were scarier. There's only so long that the shambling, rotting undead can be scary to someone who has fought mutated monsters and is essentially trained to the highest level. You act like the enemies are less challenging now. How stupid. With the zombies, you were safe unless they got close. They had nowhere near the threat level of the newer enemies. What do you expect Chris and Leon to do after enduring the incidents they have? Sit on the couch eating ice cream?

No, they're gonna be better at what they do.

The horror isn't gone, it's just changed, it's different and it contains MORE action style gameplay.

It's STILL a horror.

Fact. Either bring a proper debate or be quiet.

-AC

Neo Darkhalen
I'm just giving a personal experience, it may well be categorised as a horror but if it doesn't scare me, then to me it's not a horror, like Dead Space, It's classed as a horror but to me there's nothing about it that's scary; I'd go far as to say it's more of an action game.

But I understand what you mean, generally it would be labeled as horror to the general consensus, although RES 5 is very much an action game, and I mean that really does pull all the conventions of the action genre so...

BackFire
I prefer the slow and creepy tone of the first couple games over the faster pace of the new ones.

Wei Phoenix
Originally posted by Impediment

thumb up

Impediment
Originally posted by BackFire
I prefer the slow and creepy tone of the first couple games over the faster pace of the new ones.

I kinda have to agree with you, too.

I actually miss the pre-rendered backdrops and fixed camera angles of the original RE series. I would love to see it again, especially if RE 2 was remade like RE 1 was for Gamecube. Awesome remake, if you ask me.

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by Neo Darkhalen
I'm just giving a personal experience, it may well be categorised as a horror but if it doesn't scare me, then to me it's not a horror, like Dead Space, It's classed as a horror but to me there's nothing about it that's scary; I'd go far as to say it's more of an action game.

But I understand what you mean, generally it would be labeled as horror to the general consensus, although RES 5 is very much an action game, and I mean that really does pull all the conventions of the action genre so...

No, it's still a horror. An action horror at the very least.

It doesn't matter at all what you consider it. Horror films and games are just that, regardless.

I don't find Silent Hill scary, it was funny. So that makes it a comedy game. Right? Literally, that's your rationale.

-AC

Neo Darkhalen
I like how you try and twist my words to suit you, that's very productive.

occultdestroyer
Silent Hill? Comedy? ROFL.

Anyone who plays it the first time will be scared.

That ringing buzz will give you goosebumps.
And the scenery and storyline is totally ****ed up. A lot better than even most horror movies.

Nemesis X
I don't find Silent Hill scary, it was funny.

Yeah and I don't find Doom scary, it was adorable roll eyes (sarcastic)

-Pr-

same here. the threat of what isn't there is always more frightening than what is there, imo.

Alpha Centauri
Apparently I took a wrong turn and ended up on the KMC where everyone's a retard and doesn't get sarcasm.

1) Doom isn't scary at all, to me. Is it a horror? It's a horror/action FPS.

2) As Occult so tellingly mentioned; Silent Hill is "scarier" than a lot of horror movies. Hmm, why? Because there are a lot of horror movies that aren't that scary...but...REMAIN...horror movies! Eureka! I have discovered the principle of whoop-placement, I am Alphamedes.

Originally posted by Neo Darkhalen
I like how you try and twist my words to suit you, that's very productive.

I'm using your exact rationale and logic. Answer my question.

If I found Silent Hill to be funny, does that make it a comedy? If you feel not finding something scary means it ISN'T a horror, surely you apply the same logic elsewhere.

Obviously, that's all irrelevant, simply because you're wrong. It's a horror regardless of whether you find it scary or not. You put cart before horse, there. Horror movies exist, then you decide if they are scary. They are not defined in the reverse; if they are scary, they are horrors.

Learn this then return to the thread.

-AC

ArtificialGlory
Originally posted by occultdestroyer
Silent Hill? Comedy? ROFL.

Anyone who plays it the first time will be scared.

That ringing buzz will give you goosebumps.
And the scenery and storyline is totally ****ed up. A lot better than even most horror movies.

Silent Hill 1 is easily the scariest game I've ever played. Nothing else even comes close.

I haven't seen many horror movies, but Silent Hill tops the ones I have seen too.

Citan
I you liked Silent Hill you should definitely check out Fatal Frame II: Crimson Butterfly. Ridiculously scary game.

Citan
Apparently I took a wrong turn and ended up on the KMC where everyone's a retard and doesn't get sarcasm.

1) Doom isn't scary at all, to me. Is it a horror? It's a horror/action FPS.

2) As Occult so tellingly mentioned; Silent Hill is "scarier" than a lot of horror movies. Hmm, why? Because there are a lot of horror movies that aren't that scary...but...REMAIN...horror movies! Eureka! I have discovered the principle of whoop-placement, I am Alphamedes.

I'm using your exact rationale and logic. Answer my question.

If I found Silent Hill to be funny, does that make it a comedy? If you feel not finding something scary means it ISN'T a horror, surely you apply the same logic elsewhere.

Obviously, that's all irrelevant, simply because you're wrong. It's a horror regardless of whether you find it scary or not. You put cart before horse, there. Horror movies exist, then you decide if they are scary. They are not defined in the reverse; if they are scary, they are horrors.

Learn this then return to the thread.

-AC

What does the A in AC stand for?

Sin_Volvagia
Resident Evil was gonna lose the horror feeling sometime. After all, it's called Biohazard and it's about corporations creating bioweapons and obviously it would make sense if they stick with whatever works best (Las Plagas).

If you want scary, stick with Silent Hill.

Citan
Fatal Frame. no expression

ArtificialGlory
Originally posted by Citan
Fatal Frame. no expression

Fatal Frame is the modest, watered-down cousin of Silent Hill.

§P0oONY
It amuses me that all this started because I said a one line statement. All I was really just saying that I don't think Horror games should follow RE's new format because I don't think it would do them any favours as a horror franchise. RE is a horror/action game now, AC is right about that. But if I was forced to give it one title or the other I'd say action. That is all.

Citan
What the hell is an AC?

§P0oONY
Alpha Centauri is a star..... Or a game by Sid Meier.

Smasandian
I was more freaked out in RE4 than I ever was in the previous RE's.

The town level was intense for the first time through and was still intense the 5th time through. Why? Because you were surrounded and one of the most powerful enemies in the game is your first obstacle. And what makes it worst is that your character is incredibly weak. This created a feeling of desperation and the feeling of being chased which is pretty unique feeling to have in games.

So it doesn't have the dark corridor with things jumping out but it was still a horror game. It had a ton of action but that made the game a lot better than previous games. There not going back to the originals.

StyleTime
Originally posted by §P0oONY
Alpha Centauri is a star..... Or a game by Sid Meier.
It's also an album by Tangerine Dream and a band. It's actually used to label many other things as it is quite a popular monicker.

I've heard, don't quote me on this, that someone on these very forums uses it as a screen name. It's probably just a rumor though.

jaden101
I think the main problem is that the middle of the day in African and Spanish villages doesn't lend itself to the horror genre as effectively as creepy mansions or abandoned towns in the middle of the night. This is where the difference in the feel of the games is most apparent.

I can see the reasons to move away from the stereotypical horror locales but sometimes it doesn't work as well and some locations in 4 and 5 didn't work well at all. Obviously 4 had some typical horror locations though.

Some of the gameplay mechanics from the older games such as the fixed camera positions helped add to the horror "feel" of them. It gave the player a far greater sense of being spied on. Some angles worked well to allow brief glimpses of things to come. The licker crawling past the window in RE2 probably had everyone going "what the **** was that?" and so dreading going into the next room to find out.

As a game I prefer RE4 to the others in terms of how it plays but I always liked the stories and the atmosphere of the older RE games.

This incessant need to classify every game into genre is really just sad though. Who cares what it gets labelled as anyway. It'll end up getting as ridiculous as the music sub sub sub genres like "nintendocore". Stupid, pointless and irrelevant names that people give to make themselves look more intelligent even though it just makes them look like idiots.

Alpha Centauri
Calling Resident Evil a horror, at least in part, is not irrelevant; it's correct.

Also, my name doesn't come from the star, game or album. Comes from something musical, though.

-AC

SaTsuJiN
Do you like Resident Evil as a horror franchise or an action franchise?

I think RE4 got it perfect.. it was scary because you were overwhelmed with enemies, and the artwork done on the atmosphere was nothing short of amazing, so you really got involved in the games world and the game engine (despite it being action-y) made it so you can deal with all of them

5 just.. meh.. I loved having RE4 controls and co-op.. and there were certain enemy types that were really nice and terrifying.. (my personal choice, being the big majini with the metal totem mask and the huge spiked mace).. however.. alot of what I feel to be the scaryness had been watered down.. they still did a great job, dont get me wrong.. I think the swamp was amazingly creepy.. but there coulda been more enemies

I think enemies like the regenerator were what I was looking for more of in 5.. something interesting and really difficult to kill

I'm glad they are going to start from a fresh story arc though.. I dont expect the creepy / horror of silent hill from them.. but.. I kinda want back the moments, like in the first game where the friggin shark tank blows up and floods the room.. I dont think I ever backed out of a room and contemplated going back inside before that moment XD

Alpha Centauri
What I love most about Resident Evil is the fact that this whole thing essentially stems from the sinister, diabolical and immoral aspirations of what was just a regular pharmaceutical company.

Regardless of whether it's man-made or created, Umbrella have somehow found a way to do just about the worst things with it.

The enemies, while scary, were never what scared me the most. The very fact that those things existed as a result of people saying "Let's test this virus." or whatever, is what's f*cked.

To a lesser degree, it actually goes on. As a friend pointed out; any time you go through the toiletries aisle in a store, just remember how most of those substances were tested on (And probably harmed or killed) live beings in a lab somewhere. It has a very real element to it.

Silent Hill has that unexplainable, impossible kind of horror that works very well. Resident Evil is very much a style of horror that while impossible, isn't as crudely impossible as some other things. Ok, we're never gonna get zombies, but it's not impossible for living beings to become horribly mutated by testing. You know when you play the game that it's impossible, but it's just real enough of a source (A biological corporation doing tests) that you have that thought in the back of your mind like "What if...?".

I don't sit there thinking "Shit, what if Silent Hill is happening right now.". Silent Hill scares while the game is on, Resident Evil gives me thoughts that I find truly sinister even when I'm not playing.

That's the horror that Resident Evil brings to the table, and does a fine job of it, in my opinion.

-AC

Smasandian
That's a why in looking at it.

I just got freaked out when getting surrounded in RE4.

§P0oONY
Resident Evil's storyline could be scary if the dialogue weren't so cheesy.

Nemesis X
Good to see that the horror is coming back in the Darkside Chronicles.

Alpha Centauri
It didn't ever leave, for one. Not sure why that's still being discussed.

Two, I find it funny that you cite 4 and 5 as not horror because they lack the ability to scare you. Yet, you'll gladly cite a rail shooter as scary (Implied, as you called it a horror and to you a horror is a scary game, although you're wrong).

-AC

SaTsuJiN
I know 4 was horror.. but I dont really see how 5 was anything more than a sci-fi / action-thriller

Nemesis X
Originally posted by SaTsuJiN
I know 4 was horror.. but I dont really see how 5 was anything more than a sci-fi / action-thriller

Indeed. Resident Evil 4 gives a few scares while RE5's "scares" are laughable. Honestly I don't think enemies in bright day light can give you that much of a fright erm

Smasandian
That's bullshit.

It doesn't have to be dark to scare somebody.

BackFire
Indeed, the thing that kept RE5 from being as scary as the others isn't that it was bright - I actually thought that the scenes in the beginning of the game, when it was bright, were the scariest in the entire game - but it's that it ended up playing more like a clunky version of Gears of War than a RE game.

Nemesis X
Originally posted by Smasandian
That's bullshit.

It doesn't have to be dark to scare somebody.

Think what you will but to me, darkness > daylight.

To me, the day light makes enemies look less scary.

Smasandian
Indeed, the thing that kept RE5 from being as scary as the others isn't that it was bright - I actually thought that the scenes in the beginning of the game, when it was bright, were the scariest in the entire game - but it's that it ended up playing more like a clunky version of Gears of War than a RE game.

I've only played half way through so I can't really comment about RE5 but RE4 was scary for me.

Impediment
RE 5, in my honest opinion, was not the least bit scary.

Action packed? Oh, Hell, yes.

Alpha Centauri
Indeed. Resident Evil 4 gives a few scares while RE5's "scares" are laughable. Honestly I don't think enemies in bright day light can give you that much of a fright erm

Are you a legit retard?

Why have I got to explain this to you again? Horror doesn't need you to find it scary to BE horror.

-AC

Kazenji

Nemesis X
Are you a legit retard?

Why have I got to explain this to you again? Horror doesn't need you to find it scary to BE horror.

-AC

Are you a jackass that easily gets pissy at people that don't look at things the same way you do?

You don't have to explain crap because if I don't think RE5 is scary, I don't think it's scary so stop acting like someone pissed in your cheerios and start letting people think what they want to think.

Kazenji
But its still a horror game regardless.

General Kaliero
Are you a legit retard?

-AC
AC, stop with the flaming.

Alpha Centauri
Yeah, Nemesis X, stop with the flaming also.

(Wasn't just me, by the way)

Are you a jackass that easily gets pissy at people that don't look at things the same way you do?

You don't have to explain crap because if I don't think RE5 is scary, I don't think it's scary so stop acting like someone pissed in your cheerios and start letting people think what they want to think.

It's not a matter of subjectivity.

I'm not saying you can't find it unscary, I'm saying that by fact, this does not mean it's no longer a horror game in part or at all. It factually is, in just about every definition of the word.

This doesn't require your agreement, so to ignore it is the word I previously used to describe you, which though accurate, is deemed as flaming.

-AC

Nemesis X
Yeah, Nemesis X, stop with the flaming also.

(Wasn't just me, by the way)

It's not a matter of subjectivity.

You're the one who started the stupid flaming in the first place just because I don't think RE5 is scary.

Peach
Both of you knock it off.

Nemesis, the point is that it does not need to be personally scary to you to be considered horror. I didn't find RE5 very scary, and I've always been terrified by the RE games in the past. But that doesn't change anything.

Nemesis X
Originally posted by Peach
Both of you knock it off.

Nemesis, the point is that it does not need to be personally scary to you to be considered horror. I didn't find RE5 very scary, and I've always been terrified by the RE games in the past. But that doesn't change anything.

Wait wait wait. So you're saying that I'm thinking that RE5 isn't scary and so I think that it shouldn't be frightening to others? I don't think I said anything like that and sorry if there was a misunderstanding.

I know this is off topic but I have a question, are you still disturbed from what I said last night in the Problem thread?

Peach
What you've basically been saying the entire thread is that RE5 should not be considered horror because you do not find it scary. However, that is incorrect.

And you're right, it is off-topic.

SaTsuJiN
Originally posted by Peach
But that doesn't change anything. How doesnt it?.. I've been trying to think about it lol..

4 is without a doubt horror.. the opening chapter of 5, and very sparse bits here and there, I can see the horror in them.. but for a very very large portion of the game, its very flashy and filled with action sequences

like honestly did you seriously feel any kind of dread or panic as wesker came at you with some damn wire-fu? lmao

the only conclusion I can come to is the only reason its considered horror (or survival / horror) is just because its predecessors were classified as such

Alpha Centauri
How doesnt it?.. I've been trying to think about it lol..

4 is without a doubt horror.. the opening chapter of 5, and very sparse bits here and there, I can see the horror in them.. but for a very very large portion of the game, its very flashy and filled with action sequences

like honestly did you seriously feel any kind of dread or panic as wesker came at you with some damn wire-fu? lmao

the only conclusion I can come to is the only reason its considered horror (or survival / horror) is just because its predecessors were classified as such

Because the definition of horror applies to it in literally every single, factual way. Might be why.

It's not a subject for debate. It's fact. WHY do people keep using "Did you feel fear or dread?" as clarification? It doesn't matter if you did or not.

-AC

Alpha Centauri
hor⋅ror

Adjective.

7. Inspiring or creating horror, loathing, aversion, etc.: The hostages told horror stories of their year in captivity.

8. Centered upon or depicting terrifying or macabre events: a horror movie. <---Not open to interpretation.

What does Resident Evil do? It's a game depicting terrifying AND/OR macabre events. The example given was; a horror movie. In this case, a horror game.

P.S: If you're gonna form a troll group with people, make sure your members can be trusted. One of them has already ratted you out.

-AC

SaTsuJiN
Because the definition of horror applies to it in literally every single, factual way. Might be why.

It's not a subject for debate. It's fact. WHY do people keep using "Did you feel fear or dread?" as clarification? It doesn't matter if you did or not.

-AC then wouldnt that mean I could just 'factually' label anything horror despite what it actually contains?.. cuz thats the message I'm getting here

or do you mean to say that just having something contain zombies makes it horror

Calling Re5 Horror is way too broad.. but meanwhile calling Re4 Horror hits the nail right on the head

Alpha Centauri
then wouldnt that mean I could just 'factually' label anything horror despite what it actually contains?.. cuz thats the message I'm getting here

or do you mean to say that just having something contain zombies makes it horror

Calling Re5 Horror is way too broad.. but meanwhile calling Re4 Horror hits the nail right on the head

How are people managing to get the exact opposite of what I mean from my posts?

You label it horror specifically BECAUSE of what it contains. If it contains something that is clearly meant to be horror, obviously or by common sense telling you that it is, then it is. It doesn't matter if you find it scary.

For example, are there horror movies you DON'T find scary? Yes. End.

-AC

ApolloIceCloud
Prove that a certain definition of the term would definitively apply in this context.......

Alpha Centauri
I did, just then.

"Centered upon or depicting terrifying or macabre events: a horror movie. <---Not open to interpretation.

What does Resident Evil do? It's a game depicting terrifying AND/OR macabre events. The example given was; a horror movie. In this case, a horror game.".

-AC

ApolloIceCloud
Who's to say that particular meaning of the term applies, and not one of the other meanings that are open to interpretation?

Alpha Centauri
1) The dictionary.

2) Because it even goes so far as to cite the horror genre.

-AC

ApolloIceCloud
1) What? Where does the dictionary explain that that's the only definition that applies when used with the term "horror movie".

2) That that particular definition makes a direct reference to the term doesn't mean that it's the only definition that can possibly apply when used with that term.

Alpha Centauri
Then go list them all, they all apply except for ones that are not referring to horror in the sense we are discussing it.

We're discussing horror as in a medium with which to depict supposedly frightening events. Not horror as in "It was horrible.", or what have you.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/horror

Go see for yourself.

The only kind of "Horror" we're referring to is the fictional kind, and what consitutes something being one. What constitutes something being one has been listed, and it doesn't involve people having to be scared.

Facts.

Now run along.

-AC

ApolloIceCloud
No!

ApolloIceCloud
I will never run along!

ApolloIceCloud
You ultimately made the claim that Resident Evil 5 would unambiguously qualify as a horror game, so if you wish for people to accept that claim as being true, the burden would fall on you to prove up on that claim, meaning a full analysis of every single meaning of the word and explaining how only the meanings that are not open to interpretation apply in this context.

big grin

Alpha Centauri
I have given that.

Not every single meaning of the word is applicable to context. There are different meanings of every word and not all are applicable to the same thing; simple rules of language. E.g: Rape. Rape can mean raping a female, raping a country of its sources, raping in the colloquial sense.

It depends what you're referring to. Here, it's the genre of horror media and what constitutes something being a part of that, and what makes it NOT part of that.

It not being scary to YOU personally does not qualify it as not being a horror, I have provided dictionary definitions to prove this.

Now, shh.

-AC

Alpha Centauri
Ok, kids.

Whatever works.

-AC

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by ApolloIceCloud
laughing laughing

Admit defeat and I will remove it...

You'll be banned and it'll be removed anyway you silly troll.

-AC

SaTsuJiN
For example, are there horror movies you DON'T find scary? Yes. End.

-AC

Can you name a few?

the only reason one wouldnt find a horror movie scary, is not necessarily the fact that it isnt scary (because you may very well have a great premise).. but more along the lines of failed execution.. but this isnt really even what I'm talking about with RE5, because the execution still created a great product

I'm merely saying the contents of the game really dont fall under the horror genre.. especially when compared to 4.. not "I didnt find it scary so therefore it isnt horror".. theres a clear difference there, its just that you're taking the technical approach

Alpha Centauri
Can you name a few?

the only reason one wouldnt find a horror movie scary, is not necessarily the fact that it isnt scary (because you may very well have a great premise).. but more along the lines of failed execution.. but this isnt really even what I'm talking about with RE5, because the execution still created a great product

I'm merely saying the contents of the game really dont fall under the horror genre.. especially when compared to 4.. not "I didnt find it scary so therefore it isnt horror".. theres a clear difference there, its just that you're taking the technical approach

There are creatures and enemies in 5, as well as settings, that I found to be as sinister if not more so than stuff in 4.

It was an action/horror, still a horror.

You didn't answer my question; are there horror movies you don't find scary?

1) If "Yes", the argument is over as it is anyway.

2) If "No", you're suggesting they don't exist.

-AC

SaTsuJiN
You didn't answer my question; are there horror movies you don't find scary?

1) If "Yes", the argument is over as it is anyway.

2) If "No", you're suggesting they don't exist.

-AC

I'm fairly certain that this particular element of discussion was between you and nemesis

my standpoint is that due to over saturation of action, and very small slivers of horror, the horror content of this game fails to stand enough on its own to call it horror

if this was an action game called African Sci-fi Massacre, rather than calling it resident evil, and giving it the almost 'required' horror genre stamp.. then it would be a different story, I suppose

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.