Pissed off Russian Throws Cup at Mona Lisa

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Nemesis X
http://www.reuters.com/article/newsOne/idUSTRE57A2JS20090811

For not being granted French nationality, an angry Russian woman hurls an empty cup at Leonardo Da Vinci's best work, the Mona Lisa on August 2nd. Fortunately the painting didn't get harmed thanks to the bullet proof glass that covers it. The woman faces legal action from the French police.

inimalist
Originally posted by Nemesis X
The woman faces legal action from the French police.

pfft, another arbitrary french law restricting people's freedom of expression

(yes, I'm being sarcastic)

lil bitchiness
Thanks for stating that inimalist, otherwise I would have had to inform someone of that at some point in this thread.

http://www.reuters.com/article/newsOne/idUSTRE57A2JS20090811

For not being granted French nationality, an angry Russian woman hurls an empty cup at Leonardo Da Vinci's best work, the Mona Lisa on August 2nd. Fortunately the painting didn't get harmed thanks to the bullet proof glass that covers it. The woman faces legal action from the French police.

Terrible. She must have REALLY not wanted to go back to Russia. So in order to protest she was going to damage one of the most important art works ever.
Logic is there, of course.

Robtard
I don't see how the Mona Lisa is 'one of the most important art works ever', but the ignorant Cossack should have her hands cut off, an Italian painted it; it's only in France because the French are a bunch of piece of shit thieves. **** them in their frog asses.

lil bitchiness
Originally posted by Robtard
I don't see how the Mona Lisa is 'one of the most important art works ever', but the ignorant Cossack should have her hands cut off, an Italian painted it; it's only in France because the French are a bunch of piece of shit thieves. **** them in their frog asses.

I am aware who Da Vinci is and where he is from, and I don't see why should she have her hands cut off because an Italian painted the painting?

British History Museum is filled with things that are not British - in fact almost everything in there was either stolen or bought, or stolen but passed off as bought, so what?

And Mona Lisa is important, because it is easily the most famous painting in the world...which was about to be damaged.

Robtard
The Italian aspect was aimed towards the Cossack; not you, for damaging Italian property because she's upset with France. Hands being cut off is because she's an idiot.

Pointing out other thievery doesn't take away from the Mona Lisa belonging in Italy.

Most famous, I agree. I don't see it being most important.

dadudemon

What do you think the most important painting to the world, is?

lil bitchiness
The Italian aspect was aimed towards the Cossack; not you, for damaging Italian property because she's upset with France. Hands being cut off is because she's an idiot.

Pointing out other thievery doesn't take away from the Mona Lisa belonging in Italy.

Well that's great, because I did not say it was most important, I said it was one of.

Robtard
Originally posted by dadudemon
What do you think the most important painting to the world, is?

I don't see any painting being important to the world. If the Mona Lisa burned today, sure it'd be an irreplaceable loss, but it wouldn't really matter, humanity and the world would continue as is.

Same goes for the likes of Il David, sure it was an experience seeing and being close to something that old and having its history, but important? I don't see how.

Now art that has historical significance, maybe something that connects to an important event or some link, sure, I can see that. But just a piece of subjective beauty, I don't connect the "importance" aspect.

Robtard
Originally posted by lil bitchiness
Well that's great, because I did not say it was most important, I said it was one of.

What makes a certain piece of art "important"?

The Shagg
It's a shame it wasn't damaged..

Painting is hideous in my personal opinion.

Robtard
Now that's just foolish. Most modern art is crap imo, me wishing it damaged would be stupid though.

Nemesis X
Originally posted by The Shagg

Well seeing that you're obviously Russian, it would explain why you would say such a thing.

truejedi
Originally posted by The Shagg

just all painting, in general?

interesting viewpoint. Like just artwork? Or mebbe painted furniture is hideous? or painted walls? or cars? All about wood and chrome are we?

Sadako of Girth
Its uniqueness, its craftmanship and who its craftsman was, and the fact that it had survived as long as it has, along with the fact, as Robtard pointed out about it not being the best protest against France due to it's Italian origin are a couple of reasons not destroy the Mona Lisa.
Especially it as an argument so relatively trivial as about a visa.

Besides If I come to one of your houses once and get upset that you wont let me take up permanent residency, ways of showing you that I would make an ideal tennant would NOT include shitting on the floor and throwing the shit all over your expensive rug/TV set.

If she wanted to stay by forcing the french to let her stay- even in prison- then rather than attempting to destroy a timeless work, she coulda just slapped a cop round the face a few times.

"This must have been purely to attract the pubicity to her cause/plight".. is the only thing that I can think of, logicwise for her defence......which still doesnt excuse her seeming ignorance/arrogance.

Robtard
She should have attacked the Eiffel Tower.

dadudemon
She should have attacked the Eiffel Tower.

I was thinking the same think...but then I realized how ineffective throwing a cup at it would be.

Bardock42
She should have attacked the Eiffel Tower. Or the statue of liberty....though she probably won't get a visa for the US either.

Robtard
I was thinking the same think...but then I realized how ineffective throwing a cup at it would be.

Not with a cup you ****ing, fool, with one of these.

Robtard
Originally posted by Bardock42
Or the statue of liberty....though she probably won't get a visa for the US either.

No, no, no, while it's French made, it was a gift and the property of the U.S.

True, the whole "give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free" is obsolete. If she was smart, she should book a flight to Mexico and then cross into the U.S. that way.

lil bitchiness
..or get in a metal tank with the Chinese. After all, China is in the neighbourhood.

Robtard
Originally posted by lil bitchiness
..or get in a metal tank with the Chinese. After all, China is in the neighbourhood.

Hell no, I make it a rule to never get in a vehicle while a Chinese is at the helm. One on many reasons why I've stayed alive for so long.

dadudemon
Not with a cup you ****ing, fool, with one of these.

I uh...

Wow.

I guess I'm pwned.

Bardock42
No, no, no, while it's French made, it was a gift and the property of the U.S.

True, the whole "give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free" is obsolete. If she was smart, she should book a flight to Mexico and then cross into the U.S. that way. To be fair, life's better in France anyways.

MildPossession
Oh last time I read about it, it said in the news here that she did that because she was suffering from Stendhal Syndrome... she was so overcome with the art it caused her to act that way... so it's gone onto her wanting to stay in France as the reason.

Big no no, back to Russia lady. Happy Dance

Bicnarok

Grand-Moff-Gav

Why does it belong in Italy? Is its place in France not a symbol and testament of the History of the World?

Originally posted by Bicnarok
Should be shot, how dare he attempt to attack art work, I´m an artist and I´d have serious hurt that person.
We are all remebering the bullet proof glass that protects the picture right? She knew it would not have been harmed...

inimalist
Originally posted by Grand-Moff-Gav
We are all remebering the bullet proof glass that protects the picture right? She knew it would not have been harmed...

interesting

with no mens rea, there may be no criminal act smile

Robtard
Originally posted by Grand-Moff-Gav
Why does it belong in Italy?

Is its place in France not a symbol and testament of the History of the World?

Because the artist was Italian. I don't care if Leonardo happened to die in France, the French are little more than thieves here.

Don't follow that line of thought.

Robtard
To be fair, life's better in France anyways.

Not for her.

Bardock42
Not for her. I think it is, that's why she wants to stay.

Robtard
I think it is, that's why she wants to stay.

Not better for her now, after the cup assault.

Bardock42
Not better for her now, after the cup assault. Maybe...I can't comment, never been in her situation.

lil bitchiness
Maybe...I can't comment, never been in her situation.

Yes you were, you lie.

Bardock42
How do you know???? These files have been classified!!!

dadudemon
How do you know???? These files have been classified!!!

Sheeeeeee......hacked the French criminal system computers???? confused confused confused confused

jinXed by JaNx
I don't see how the Mona Lisa is 'one of the most important art works ever',

I think it has something to do with how unimpressive it is or maybe it's the smile. Yeah, that smile is very captivating. I don't think it's captivating enough to considered an important smile though. confused

§P0oONY

WhoopeeDee
I maybe the only man in the world that is willing to have sex with the Mona Lisa (the actual model not the painting)

Oh gawd! I'm so lonely.

inimalist
I'd bang the painting

Red Nemesis
Originally posted by truejedi
just all painting, in general?

interesting viewpoint. Like just artwork? Or mebbe painted furniture is hideous? or painted walls? or cars? All about wood and chrome are we?

YAY PEDANTS!

Symmetric Chaos
What is the actual significance of the Mona Lisa?

Robtard
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
What is the actual significance of the Mona Lisa?

1) Painted by a very famous and renowned man

2) Depicts a portrait against a fictional background, which was very rare at the time.

3) It's very old

§P0oONY
1) Painted by a very famous and renowned man

2) Depicts a portrait against a fictional background, which was very rare at the time.

3) It's very old
4) The smile... duh.

Robtard

§P0oONY
That's a smirk. Whatever it is, It's probably the thing you associate most with the painting.

dadudemon

§P0oONY
Nah.

That's Leonardo da Vinci.

Second would probably be the smile.

big grin
Six of one, half a dozen of the other really.

Robtard

§P0oONY
Erm.... No.... It's the smile people remember.

dadudemon
Na, it's her refined pose; how her breast, neck and face radiate in the same light of the painting. How her right hand rest gracefully on her left, letting us know that she's both a virtuous and faithful woman. The semi-abstractness of he lack of facial hair, including eyelash and eyebrow is another instant grabber to the viewers eye.

"Oh, Pwned", *****.

I thought that was just the style back then?...the missing eyebrows, I mean.

Whoopie Goldberg didn't exist.

*checks the interwebz*

I have to be right.

Compare and contrast the Mona Lisa with the Maddalena Doni.

http://www.fotos.org/galeria/data/559/Raffaello-Portrait-of-Maddalena-Doni.jpg

http://safetravel.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/monalisa1.jpg

Edit - And eff you guys and your tiny monitors. Upgrade to widescreen, newbz.

Robtard
I thought that was just the style back then?...the missing eyebrows, I mean.

**** if I know, I plagiarized Wiki to sound erudite and "pwn" his ass, you tool.

dadudemon
**** if I know, I plagiarized Wiki to sound erudite and "pwn" his ass, you tool.

Well excuuuuuuuse me, princess.

Ms.Marvel
its kind of cool how being a fatass was considered beautiful back in the day.

Bicnarok

WhoopeeDee
I wouldn't mind having a threesome with the Mona Lisa and the Magdelna Doni.

mmm

Nemesis X
Here's footage of the woman throwing the cup at the Mona Lisa.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0&feature=related

She sure is pissed.

bogen
Originally posted by WhoopeeDee
I maybe the only man in the world that is willing to have sex with the Mona Lisa (the actual model not the painting)

Oh gawd! I'm so lonely.

The painting is said to be leonardo had he been born a woman..Originally posted by Nemesis X
Here's footage of the woman throwing the cup at the Mona Lisa.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0&feature=related

She sure is pissed.

Bahaha phuck you! :P

MildPossession
There are countries in the world today who hold their slightly larger women up there as the most beautiful women in the world and find skinny women inferior compared. The women in the paintings are hardly that fat anyway, slight chubby.

inimalist
Originally posted by MildPossession
There are countries in the world today who hold their slightly larger women up there as the most beautiful women in the world and find skinny women inferior compared. The women in the paintings are hardly that fat anyway, slight chubby.

rural areas in East Africa, especially Mauritania, find obese women to be beautiful.

There are social issues with forced feeding and heart disease.

siriuswriter
Originally posted by jinXed by JaNx
I think it has something to do with how unimpressive it is or maybe it's the smile. Yeah, that smile is very captivating. I don't think it's captivating enough to considered an important smile though. confused

er, well, da vinci was also showing his feminist side through the painting. the background on the left side is higher then the right side . he was sending a message that women should not be suppressed, that they are, in fact, in some ways more competent than men.

the smile is also a large part of the painting. in that time period, most people who wanted portraits wore their sternest faces and painters would make them prettier than they were in proportion to the money the family would pay.

we don't know who the model for the mona lisa was, and we don't know if she was a client or a grab from the street because da vinci was inspired by her, but either he asked her to smile or she smiled and thus we have the mysterious smile that says 'i know something you don't know.' also, da vinci most likely painted her much closer to her actual appearance than any other portrait from this time period.

just some reasons why the mona lisa might be considered the 'citizen kane' of painting in its contemporary time.

§P0oONY
^ wanker

SamZED
Well seeing that you're obviously Russian, it would explain why you would say such a thing. I'm also russian, dont see how what he said explains anything. You're always supportive when someone from your country does something stupid?

~The Wickerman~

Morgromir
Da Vinci Was amazing if others had the technology ,he could have worked wonders for world. Im sorry but thats not okay, that is really not okay . she should get executed (if she had harmed it). but since she didn't she should get life sentence . (yes im being dramatic and taking it to an extreme)

Bardock42
Originally posted by Morgromir
Da Vinci Was amazing if others had the technology ,he could have worked wonders for world. Im sorry but thats not okay, that is really not okay . she should get executed (if she had harmed it). but since she didn't she should get life sentence . (yes im being dramatic and taking it to an extreme)

Joseph Smith was called a prophet...

siriuswriter

~The Wickerman~

no expression

It's an old painting of a fat, ugly b*tch and I hope it burns.

Thank you.

Bardock42
Originally posted by siriuswriter
well, i've been called quite a few things, but 'wanker' never was one of them. i'll add it to the list. Technically you haven't been called it this time either.

Morgromir
Da vinci took 4 years out of his life to create that work of art , its practically a national symbol to italians, Wickerman . since you obviously have no understanding of art im not going to bother convincing you.

inimalist
since you obviously have no understanding of art im not going to bother convincing you.

so anyone who doesn't think the Mona Lisa is a treasure to humanity doesn't understand art?

LOL

tell me, what are your thoughts on Mapplethorpe's "Portfolio X"? or Serrano's "A History of Sex"?

~The Wickerman~
Da vinci took 4 years out of his life to create that work of art , its practically a national symbol to italians, Wickerman . since you obviously have no understanding of art im not going to bother convincing you.

So? Takes me like an hour to shit sometimes. Doesn't mean what comes out is a work of art (although it is).

So what if it's a national symbol? It's still a picture of a fat, ugly woman. You've proven only that you're a mindless cog.

Bardock42
Da vinci took 4 years out of his life to create that work of art , its practically a national symbol to italians, Wickerman . since you obviously have no understanding of art im not going to bother convincing you. I'm sorry, since when is not "understanding" art considered more despisable than wanting to kill someone for destroying a work of art?

jinXed by JaNx
Originally posted by siriuswriter
er, well, da vinci was also showing his feminist side through the painting. the background on the left side is higher then the right side . he was sending a message that women should not be suppressed, that they are, in fact, in some ways more competent than men.

the smile is also a large part of the painting. in that time period, most people who wanted portraits wore their sternest faces and painters would make them prettier than they were in proportion to the money the family would pay.

we don't know who the model for the mona lisa was, and we don't know if she was a client or a grab from the street because da vinci was inspired by her, but either he asked her to smile or she smiled and thus we have the mysterious smile that says 'i know something you don't know.' also, da vinci most likely painted her much closer to her actual appearance than any other portrait from this time period.

just some reasons why the mona lisa might be considered the 'citizen kane' of painting in its contemporary time.

I was being facetious laughing out loud but yeah, do you think it's a self portrait? I do.

Morgromir
I'm sorry, since when is not "understanding" art considered more despisable than wanting to kill someone for destroying a work of art? I was referring to wickerman ,
but to all sorry if Ive made myself look like a huge b*tch , I'm defensive about things I admire.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.