Didn't they have second thoughts?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Nemesis X
Most of the clone population became best friends with the jedi and yet when Sidious gave execute order 66, they shot them in cold blood. Didn't they have second thoughts before killing the Jedi, especially when they probably knew that their chancellor is actually a Sith Lord? I know that they're supposed to follow orders but the Jedi were their friends.

sweersa
Originally posted by Nemesis X
Most of the clone population became best friends with the jedi and yet when Sidious gave execute order 66, they shot them in cold blood. Didn't they have second thoughts before killing the Jedi, especially when they probably knew that their chancellor is actually a Sith Lord? I know that they're supposed to follow orders but the Jedi were their friends.

The clones don't have friends, only orders. They were engineered that way.

Mandrag Ganon
That's not entirely true. They had friends, as can be seen with Cody and Obi-Wan, but the way they were engineered, their orders were vastly more important than their friends, to the point that they would kill their best friend without hesitation, second thought, or regret if they were ordered to do so.

And also, noone knew that Palpatine was a Sith Lord untill he told Anakin and Anakin told Mace. That information never made it to the main bulk of the Army, not that it would have mattered, Palpatine was their commander and they had 100% loyalty to him.

Nemesis X
If the clones had even noticed, Palpatine didn't even look the same as he did before. He was seen as an old man in a red robe but now he shows himself as a hideous person wearing a black robe. You think the clones would be thinking "Is that really the chancellor?"

My goodness I wonder if Rex (from Clone Wars) tried to kill a jedi one time even though Rex is the one clone the jedi seemed more attached to.

Bladewind
Well I heard some turned on the Emperor.

steverules_2
I'm sure there were some clones who stood up for the jedi...I remember in the film when one of them apologized before shooting

DarthLazious
Dude they are Clones and they were only following Orders.

steverules_2
Originally posted by DarthLazious
Dude they are Clones and they were only following Orders.

Think we established that sly Boba was a clone and we didn't see him attacking Jedi shifty

sweersa
I stand by my statement that clones have no friends, why would a friend say sorry before KILLING you?

He isn't his friend. He is an engineered soldier, his only friend is his orders.

steverules_2
The clones may befriend each other...

DarthLazious
Originally posted by steverules_2
Think we established that sly Boba was a clone and we didn't see him attacking Jedi shifty

Well Boba Fett did attack some Jedi.

He had a helping hand in the Jedi Purge.

Bladewind
If they were engineered soldiers they would have stuck with numbers instead of making up nicknames for each other.

steverules_2
Originally posted by DarthLazious
Well Boba Fett did attack some Jedi.

He had a helping hand in the Jedi Purge.

You'd think he woulda gotten paid for it though, or he'd attack cause he has a certain dislike for jedi...or did not so sure he does anymore

Nemesis X
If the clones are so engineered, one of them wouldn't have turned their back on the Republic in the Clone Wars now would they?

Mandrag Ganon
If the clones are so engineered, one of them wouldn't have turned their back on the Republic in the Clone Wars now would they?

Well, see, now you are getting into EU now. And EU is not respected in these forums. According to these guys, no clones did turn their backs on the republic.

Now, if you are one of the people who are cool enough to accept EU, then that opens a chance for a great look into clone psychology, but people tend to get banned up to these good 'ol parts if they bring the massive possibilities exhibited in the Expanded Universe.

See, because when you bring in the EU, you find out that the first batches of clones were not "Programmed" with Order 66, and those clones did not follow it.

Originally posted by sweersa
I stand by my statement that clones have no friends, why would a friend say sorry before KILLING you?

He isn't his friend. He is an engineered soldier, his only friend is his orders.

See, once again, you miss the complexities here. From simply a movie standpoint: The clones befriended the Jedi, but their orders were so much more important than their friendship that they would not hesitate to kill their best friend if ordered to do so.

You can see that they befriend the Jedi from how Obi-wan and Cody talk to each other. But, when it came down to it, the order was vastly more important that the friend, so important that he executed the order and (As far as he was aware) Obi-wan, without hesitation, and without remorse.

It's like that age old question: If a family member comitted a crime, would you try to help them get away with it? For us, as humans, that answer does not come easily, however the clone's decision was made for them when they were created. If ordered to do so, a clone would kill his closest friend without a second thouthg.

Once again, this was all from a movie stand point, when the oppression against EU has finally ended you people will see that there is even more to it than even the very simplified way I put it.

Bladewind
Well this question is actually about clone psychology isn't it?

Stun

I suppose even friendship doesn't interfere with orders. They're almost like dogs to the chancellor, completely loyal.

queeq
Which was their point in the first place.

Placidity
Slight off topic (non-canon etc), but you might be interested to know that in The Clone Wars, Storm Troopers seem to have a choice, as one of them defected.

sweersa
I bet any so called rogue Clone who became someone's friend would instantly kill on orders lol, he could be working at a pizza place and someone would say "order 66 is up!" and he would try to kill the nearest Jedi with the pizza cutter.

Jaeh.is.Awesome
(didn't read all those other posts)

I thought that the clones didn't have second thoughts. I thought order 66 was wired in their brains. They're engineered soldiers, and thought they might have feeling, friends, etc., when orders wired in their brains kick in everything disappears and the orders become main priority.

the Clone Wars tv show thing (recent) sorta implies that they might've had second thought, but as shown in ROTS, not one hesitated.

queeq
Originally posted by Placidity
Slight off topic (non-canon etc), but you might be interested to know that in The Clone Wars, Storm Troopers seem to have a choice, as one of them defected.

Yeah, we discussed that in the CW thread.

Father Rahl
Originally posted by sweersa
I bet any so called rogue Clone who became someone's friend would instantly kill on orders lol, he could be working at a pizza place and someone would say "order 66 is up!" and he would try to kill the nearest Jedi with the pizza cutter.

laughing out loud

sweersa
Originally posted by Father Rahl
laughing out loud

Hehehe

Raptor 7789
In Battlefront 2 when you're about to do operation Knightfall in the clone trooper's diary he says that some people had second thoughts.

I guess orders overrode friendship.

-Pr-
they could have simply been implanted with a genetic trigger. like deep cover spies that don't know they're spies. palpatine says order 66, and they become ruthless killing machines...

roughrider
Originally posted by steverules_2

Boba wasn't an engineered clone. He wasn't growth accelerated, and the training he received was what Jango passed on to him, not sitting in a regiment like a drone. He was an independent thinker.

Bladewind
Well the clones do have a hate against jedi.It's because Jango had that hate too.Since he was the "original" they inherited that hate although it was hidden under their loyalty to Palpatine.Sorry if this non-canon confused
(nice one sweersa) rolling on floor laughing big grin

roughrider
Originally posted by Bladewind
Well the clones do have a hate against jedi.It's because Jango had that hate too.Since he was the "original" they inherited that hate although it was hidden under their loyalty to Palpatine.Sorry if this non-canon confused
(nice one sweersa) rolling on floor laughing big grin

If that was true, we wouldn't have had some clone troopers refuse to obey Order 66, as has been established in the expanded universe.

Bladewind
Well hate isn't necessarily forever.

InfernoJG95
It's kinda like in bioshock. The guy u play as has a special keyword which if he's told to go to a room after saying the keyword he would do it no questions asked perhaps order 66 is the same thing

nova44
In one of the follow-up books from episode three (its called rise of vader or something like that) it refers to a clone commando squad called "ion team" when they receive order 66 they believe its sepratist hoax they ignore it. After finding the order was legitimate they spare there jedi friends (I also cant remember the jedi's names) the clone battalion who are stationed on the planet attempt to kill the jedi. Ion team manages to save the jedi.To be hon est I cant remember much after that. Just search ion team on the star wars wiki and read for your self. (This is my first reply so please correct me if Im wrong with anything)

Kickballjedi
Originally posted by -Pr-
they could have simply been implanted with a genetic trigger. like deep cover spies that don't know they're spies. palpatine says order 66, and they become ruthless killing machines...

This is true, but what made Yoda suddenly leap up and behead two random troopers who he might've been "friends" with? Sure he was feeling a disturbance in the Force and all, but he just up and decapitated two hard working troopers without any proof they were about to attack him!

Doctorwho?
I think, as a more powerful Jedi, he could sense in the force their intent to kill him so he took action and killed them first.

Doctorwho?
Originally posted by InfernoJG95
It's kinda like in bioshock. The guy u play as has a special keyword which if he's told to go to a room after saying the keyword he would do it no questions asked perhaps order 66 is the same thing

This, but better grammar. I like his explanation, even if its old.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.