X-men vs. Magneto

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Sasaraixx
The X-men need to go and stop a disaster before it can occur. Magneto, has other plans however. Professor X needs two members to stay behind and stall Magneto until the team can accomplish the mission. Which 2 X-men would put up the strongest opposition?

Current versions of all characters (Classic Jean) and they fight in character. Which team of 2 would you choose?

Cyclops
Storm
Emma Frost
Psylocke
Nightcrawler
Jean Grey (no PF)
Rogue
Gambit

Peterlane
Jean Grey writes him out of existence. X-Men rape.

Wei Phoenix
Originally posted by Peterlane
Jean Grey writes him out of existence. X-Men rape.

How many victories does Jean have over Erik?

Peterlane
Originally posted by Wei Phoenix
How many victories does Jean have over Erik?

Current Jean is WCP. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Are you saying Magneto can beat WCP

Parmaniac
ok just a theory really just a THEORY:

Wouldn't it possible that Nightcrawler teleports behind his shields?
if yes go on readin, if not just stop!

then he could take his helmet (or his whole head) and teleport away again, then Jean starts a Mind attack in him? Or he grabs Rogue and teleports them behind his shields and she sucks him dry?

Nihilist

Are you saying Magneto can beat WCP OP says NO PHOENIX FORCE.

Wei Phoenix

Are you saying Magneto can beat WCP

Current Jean is 6 feet under, are you saying a corpse can beat Magneto?

Juntai
It clearly says "no PF" next to Jean, which of course means she is her classic self, no PF.

Peterlane
Current Jean is 6 feet under, are you saying a corpse can beat Magneto?

Current Jean is in the White hot room actually and helped Emma Frost and also called back the Phoenix shadow from Rachel and Korvus.

Current Jean IS the phoenix force, you might as well say no electro magnetism for Magento

Wei Phoenix
Truth is that no team of 2 from these X-Men can take him for the majority.

Sasaraixx
Ack, what was I thinking! Obviously, not dead Jean. My apologies. Let's ressurect Jean but no PF!

Peterlane
Well Jean still atomizes him.

Sasaraixx
Truth is that no team of 2 from these X-Men can take him for the majority.

I agree, but who do you think would put up the best fight/last the longest?

Wei Phoenix
Current Jean is in the White hot room actually and helped Emma Frost and also called back the Phoenix shadow from Rachel and Korvus.

Current Jean IS the phoenix force, you might as well say no electro magnetism for Magento

Current Jean is still not on Earth or in direct existence, and this Jean is still without PF.

Peterlane
Storm and Magento have always had close fights, I guess she could put on the best fight.

Wei Phoenix

How does Jean without the PF atomize him?

Originally posted by Sasaraixx
I agree, but who do you think would put up the best fight/last the longest?

Cyclops and whoever can compliment him the best. Maybe Psylocke.

Wei Phoenix
Storm and Magento have always had close fights, I guess she could put on the best fight.

She gets stomped too.

Sasaraixx
Edited OP for clarification.

Survivor19
I'd go with Nightcrawler and Rogue....
although i do have the feeling they get stomped in a second if Eric feels like it.

weaponx510
i doubt the xmen can take his helmet off considering it is metal(magneto controlls metal).

Peterlane
How does Jean without the PF atomize him?

Cyclops and whoever can compliment him the best. Maybe Psylocke.

Simple with TK, but if this is classic Jean like 5 original X-Men Jean who can barely lift books, Mags wins 10/10

Cyclops powers don't do shit to Magento because he can easily control the beams. Psylock can penetrate Mags helmet with he psychic knife but she won't be doing that when he ripps her to shreds.

Storm is the best matchuip against him

batdude123
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s132/Erik_Magnus_Lensherr/vsPhoenixPsychic3.jpg?t=1250541795

iceman24567
Magneto wins

Wei Phoenix
Simple with TK, but if this is classic Jean like 5 original X-Men Jean who can barely lift books, Mags wins 10/10

Cyclops powers don't do shit to Magento because he can easily control the beams. Psylock can penetrate Mags helmet with he psychic knife but she won't be doing that when he ripps her to shreds.

Storm is the best matchuip against him

I'd like to see some feats from a PFless Jean that says she can atomize someone like Magneto.

Cyclops is the smartest and best tactician out of all of them. He would be needed.

Storm gets her lightning and storms canceled out.

Peterlane
Originally posted by batdude123
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s132/Erik_Magnus_Lensherr/vsPhoenixPsychic3.jpg?t=1250541795

Because that inexperienced Jean = WCP

Please post the scan of when they meet again in the next issue please.

If it is in their current forms and without Phoenix Mangneto wins

Survivor19
I advice to go re-read "Eve of Destruction" so that you'd know how Jean without PF fares against Mags.
Magneto also can't control Cyclops' beams. They are quite a formidable weapon and pierced his shields many, many times before.
Mags shrugged off psychic knife before like nothing, so Psylocke isn't going to do the job.

Maybe Jean/Scott combination has the best chances here.

Parmaniac
Originally posted by weaponx510
i doubt the xmen can take his helmet off considering it is metal(magneto controlls metal).

yeah but he wouldn't "take it off" like you mean, he teleports away with it, but it still could fail tough

batdude123
Because that inexperienced Jean = WCP

That's not what I'm saying, moron.

That version of Jean Grey is >>>> the Jean Grey the thread starter specified in this thread.

I was also proving why this statement from you...

... was completely wrong.

Philosophía
Emma/Storm.

Parmaniac

That version of Jean Grey is >>>> the Jean Grey the thread starter specified in this thread.

from where is your Avatar pic?

batdude123
Originally posted by Survivor19
Magneto also can't control Cyclops' beams. They are quite a formidable weapon and pierced his shields many, many times before.

Uh... what? huh

The only time Cyclops' blast has EVER pierced Magneto's shield was in the very first X-Men issue. Back when Magneto was A LOT less powerful.

Also, even in that instance, Magneto wasn't keeping his focus on the shield, which was the reason why Cyclops was able to penetrate it anyway.

Peterlane

So im wrong

I dont know why Jean is in this thread. Jean without Phoenix is pathetic, she is a non factor

batdude123
Originally posted by Parmaniac

From a hilarious show titled: "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia."

Wei Phoenix

It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia. Dayman, fighter of the Nightman!

Wei Phoenix
So im wrong

I dont know why Jean is in this thread. Jean without Phoenix is pathetic, she is a non factor

So these guys are equivalent to Erik how?

Peterlane
So these guys are equivalent to Erik how?

They are more usefull than a Jean who has nose bleeds lifting up a kitchen table.

batdude123
So im wrong

Yes.

Peterlane
Yes.

And I was admiting I was wrong. Whats your problem?

Lord Feron
Storm with Rogue (who currently has the powers of Ares right?) Could make for the best Distractions...

AOA Nightcrawler would kill him.

Peterlane
Originally posted by Lord Feron
Storm with Rogue (who currently has the powers of Ares right?) Could make for the best Distractions...

AOA Nightcrawler would kill him.

Currently Rogue is losing Ares' powers

Original Smurph
Emma and Jean for the combined mental assault.

Likely wouldn't do anything, but there's no combo here that would win.

psycho gundam
^ what about nightcrawler and gambit?

NC teleports himself and gambit to where magneto is and gambit charges his helmet with as much power as he can. *shrugs*

swapping NC with psylock using the same stratagem also works i guess.

Philosophía
Nightcrawler surprising Magneto with teleportation ? Heh.

batdude123
Originally posted by psycho gundam
^ what about nightcrawler and gambit?

NC teleports himself and gambit to where magneto is and gambit charges his helmet with as much power as he can. *shrugs*

swapping NC with psylock using the same stratagem also works i guess.

No.

http://img392.imageshack.us/img392/6595/magthrowscolossusoutfromroomwi.jpg

Survivor19
Yes, in best case NC teleporting on magneto will result in Eric's fist in Kurt's face...

Mshinu
Mags beats any 2 of those in seconds, none of them are able to put up anything remotely like a "fight"

thanos-prime
ok just a theory really just a THEORY:

Wouldn't it possible that Nightcrawler teleports behind his shields?
if yes go on readin, if not just stop!

then he could take his helmet (or his whole head) and teleport away again, then Jean starts a Mind attack in him? Or he grabs Rogue and teleports them behind his shields and she sucks him dry? mind attacks wont work Xavier and jean combined couldn't mind rape him eh don't think the rouge part could work cause he has to teleport to get her and by that time erik would have figured it out

Survivor19
O RLY?
Are you forgetting that Xavier mindraped him all by himself after that?
They had trouble when trying to brainwash him and force to surrender during the mid-battle. They were working around his personality and memories, not trying to fry his mind or something. Of course that was hard, what did you expect?

peejayd
The X-men need to go and stop a disaster before it can occur. Magneto, has other plans however. Professor X needs two members to stay behind and stall Magneto until the team can accomplish the mission. Which 2 X-men would put up the strongest opposition?

Current versions of all characters (Classic Jean) and they fight in character. Which team of 2 would you choose?

* Cyclops can stall Magneto with his constant barrage of blasts... then Frost/Grey/Psylocke can mess with his mind... smile

peejayd
Cyclops powers don't do shit to Magento because he can easily control the beams.

* Magneto cannot control Cyclops' blasts...

Uh... what? huh

The only time Cyclops' blast has EVER pierced Magneto's shield was in the very first X-Men issue. Back when Magneto was A LOT less powerful.

Also, even in that instance, Magneto wasn't keeping his focus on the shield, which was the reason why Cyclops was able to penetrate it anyway.

* given the scenario, all they have to do is to keep Magneto at bay and Cyclops' constant barrage of blasts can do the job because Magneto needs to concentrate on his shields, then any of the telepaths (Frost/Grey/Psylocke) can mess with his mind...

Creshosk
Originally posted by peejayd
* Magneto cannot control Cyclops' blasts...

peejayd
Originally posted by Creshosk

* that's new... i didn't know that... my bad... stick out tongue

Survivor19
Don't let the irrelevant scan worry you, peejayd.
1. There is no Magneto controlling Cyclops' blasts there.
2. Everyone knows Scott's blasts are involuntary. At least were before that Astonishing arc.

Creshosk

Cyclops
Storm
Emma Frost
Psylocke
Nightcrawler
Jean Grey (no PF)
Rogue
Gambit None of them.

Aside from Emma frost not being present in the fight, While Xavier was this fight's been done and then some.
X-Men Volume 2 issue #25. Magneto shows up catching everyone including Xavier and Jean grey off guard. He slipped through their defenses. And he pinned everyone present X-Men and X-factor alike. Making it so they couldn't use their powers. Then he casually kills one of his minions with his own power. Then proceeds to lecture his hostages.

If it weren't for Bishop... But I notice he's not on the list.

Creshosk
Don't let the irrelevant scan worry you, peejayd.
1. There is no Magneto controlling Cyclops' blasts there.
2. Everyone knows Scott's blasts are involuntary. At least were before that Astonishing arc. Which is why Cyclops was able to use them in that situation right?

Oh look, Nightcrawler, Cyclops, Classic levels Jean grey all being held magnetically.

Survivor19
Ok, what should have persuaded me he is being held magnetically in that scan, hmm?
I don't see anything suggesting other that he is a jerk who doesn't care about - how was his name again, Senyaka? Who doesn't care about that guy being executed.
stick out tongue
Then again, you keep forgetting that preventing someone from using his abilities is not the same as controlling them. Or you'd say Magneto can control astral plane, ecause he can render Xavier effectively powerless?

Creshosk
Ok, what should have persuaded me he is being held magnetically in that scan, hmm?
I don't see anything suggesting other that he is a jerk who doesn't care about - how was his name again, Senyaka? Who doesn't care about that guy being executed.
stick out tongue
Then again, you keep forgetting that preventing someone from using his abilities is not the same as controlling them. Or you'd say Magneto can control astral plane, ecause he can render Xavier effectively powerless? Cyclops power is useless, because Magneto can control the beams coming out.

In this issue after Bishop blasts Magneto into the chapel, he stands up floats up in the air rogue flys up to try ans steal his power with a kiss. She gets a bit, before she's cut off, she's confused and he casually throws her into Gambit.

Scratch those two off the list of being a threat to him.

The others have been powering Bishop up who starts opening blast on magneto. Then Jean grey reveals that the space station avalon was being held together by magneto... Who taking being blasted by Bishop(With Cyclops, storm, polaris, havok, jean grey and jubilee's energy signatures in him) Sunspot, gambit and Iceman.

So while taking the attack from them, he's also barely (slightly failing) to hold together a space station.

I think its important to remember who Magneto is. He was always a Team-Killer.

Survivor19
Yes, he is.
Though Xavier had a cool moment in that arc too, didn't he?

Creshosk
Yes, he is.
Though Xavier had a cool moment in that arc too, didn't he? The arc? Fatal attractions gave Xavier several. that very comic book where he finally gets through magnetos defenses after the previously mentioned beating Xavier crawls over to hi climbs up him and takes over his mind, and using Magneto's own powers levitates them up into the atmosphere before the tucks Magneto into Avalon and then magnetically hurls it into space.

Thene there's wolverine 75 where Xavier mindwipe's magneto after Magneto got stabbed by Wolvie, then ripped wolvie's adamantium out. This did give way to the cration of onslaught who was pretty much a plot device to enact the heroes reborn storylines.

It was a cool arc that had those special hologram covers. Sadly this was also the death of the little girl Illyana.

I hear she's back now though.

peejayd
* Bishop made a valid argument here before he was interrupted... if Magneto is magnetically gripping the iron fibers in their blood and they have no way of "consciously" accessing their mutant abilities, what if the mutant ability is involuntary like Cyclops', who can't control discharging his blasts? confused

thanos-prime
O RLY?
Are you forgetting that Xavier mindraped him all by himself after that?
They had trouble when trying to brainwash him and force to surrender during the mid-battle. They were working around his personality and memories, not trying to fry his mind or something. Of course that was hard, what did you expect? there very inconsistent that way i remember another instance where xavier tried to mind rape him in his sleep magneto woke up and fought him off, and then another where xavier concentrated all his power into mind raping magneto but he couldn't

psycho gundam

Creshosk
* Bishop made a valid argument here before he was interrupted... if Magneto is magnetically gripping the iron fibers in their blood and they have no way of "consciously" accessing their mutant abilities, what if the mutant ability is involuntary like Cyclops', who can't control discharging his blasts? confused Here's cyclops firing his optic blasts while being held.

Oh wait, no this is cyclops NOT firing his optic blasts.

Bishop was absorbing the energy of being held, and since he doesn't have the visor that he has to open, when he reached his limit he automatically discharged.

Cyclops on the other hand has no such luck. He has a visor preventing him from auto discharge that he can't activate.

Creshosk
Originally posted by thanos-prime
there very inconsistent that way i remember another instance where xavier tried to mind rape him in his sleep magneto woke up and fought him off, and then another where xavier concentrated all his power into mind raping magneto but he couldn't The time Xavier HAD done the mind rape not only was he still through force of will keeping Avalon together and up in orbit, but he had just been slashed by wolverine.

thanos-prime
The time Xavier HAD done the mind rape not only was he still through force of will keeping Avalon together and up in orbit, but he had just been slashed by wolverine. it is still inconsistent magneto has more showings resisting xavier than getting mind raped by him

Creshosk
it is still inconsistent magneto has more showings resisting xavier than getting mind raped by him What I'm saying is that its when he's already in a weakened state that it happens. That's the only explanation as to why it happens at all.

Peterlane
Are Cyclops blasts light speed? I dont think so, but some people believe it to be so

thanos-prime
What I'm saying is that its when he's already in a weakened state that it happens. That's the only explanation as to why it happens at all. being one of the most powerful physics on the planet its not the great of a feat but being caught off guard when your sleeping is espically when you have no physic powers to fight back with he fought him off with pure will power

Creshosk
being one of the most powerful physics on the planet its not the great of a feat but being caught off guard when your sleeping is espically when you have no physic powers to fight back with he fought him off with pure will power I'm not saying its a viable strategy. I'm just saying that whenever it happened it wasn't like at the start of any fight. It certainly doesn't seem like a viable option here considering that aside from Psylocke and Emma frost. This fight already happened and Magneto basically won. Even with Psylocke and Emma, its not going to happen, since Professor Xavier wasn't present at the time as well as a number of others not on the list.

thanos-prime
I'm not saying its a viable strategy. I'm just saying that whenever it happened it wasn't like at the start of any fight. It certainly doesn't seem like a viable option here considering that aside from Psylocke and Emma frost. This fight already happened and Magneto basically won. Even with Psylocke and Emma, its not going to happen, since Professor Xavier wasn't present at the time as well as a number of others not on the list. yep imo they dont seem powerful enough to mind rape him

Survivor19
The time Xavier HAD done the mind rape not only was he still through force of will keeping Avalon together and up in orbit, but he had just been slashed by wolverine.
You are wrong, because Mags wasn't holding anything by his force of will or whatever.
I'd like to point out nothing happened to Avalon with Magneto's brain-bleaching, since it was built well and on stable orbit. I mean, until that incident with Holocaust.

If Mags was weakened by anything (TP resistance-wise), that would be combined Grey & Xavier mental assault earlier.

Creshosk
You are wrong, because Mags wasn't holding anything by his force of will or whatever.
I'd like to point out nothing happened to Avalon with Magneto's brain-bleaching, since it was built well and on stable orbit. I mean, until that incident with Holocaust.

If Mags was weakened by anything (TP resistance-wise), that would be combined Grey & Xavier mental assault earlier. Really? That's not what's happening in the issue with the scans I've been providing.

Survivor19
And then they left, and then the base was totally fine.
Inconsistensy much?

Mindset
Are Cyclops blasts light speed? I dont think so, but some people believe it to be so There's an old scan that says they are.

Creshosk
And then they left, and then the base was totally fine.
Inconsistensy much? Or it could be that once they were in a high enough orbit/out of orbit there were not gravitational forces pulling it apart at an inconsistently consistent rate.

This does cause a problem with air pressure variance.. but I think I'll go with what was stated on panel.

steverules_2
If wolverine was in the list then I'm sure he'd do fiiiiine against Mags

Creshosk
Originally posted by Mindset
There's an old scan that says they are. an attack that has all the properties of light having the property of the speed of light...

Naw... that's a stretch.

Speaking of stretch I think it was in an event they did with the fantastic four. They needed to his something with Cyclops's optic blast, that was far away through a convoluted place to get to. Reed stretched his arm through the hole to where it needed to be while Sue encased it in a forcefield, then Cyclops's optic blast traveling at the speed of light through the forcefield shot what he needed.

Mindset
an attack that has all the properties of light having the property of the speed of light...

Naw... that's a stretch.

Speaking of stretch I think it was in an event they did with the fantastic four. They needed to his something with Cyclops's optic blast, that was far away through a convoluted place to get to. Reed stretched his arm through the hole to where it needed to be while Sue encased it in a forcefield, then Cyclops's optic blast traveling at the speed of light through the forcefield shot what he needed. OK.

Creshosk
OK. YES no.
http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/looneytunes/images/thumb/2/2a/LuckyBob.jpg/300px-LuckyBob.jpg

Peterlane
an attack that has all the properties of light having the property of the speed of light...

Naw... that's a stretch.

Speaking of stretch I think it was in an event they did with the fantastic four. They needed to his something with Cyclops's optic blast, that was far away through a convoluted place to get to. Reed stretched his arm through the hole to where it needed to be while Sue encased it in a forcefield, then Cyclops's optic blast traveling at the speed of light through the forcefield shot what he needed.

Well it seems to have been retconned because he was blitzed at the speed of light buy Aurora. And the scan said Speed of Light>Optic blasts in speed.

Original Smurph
Light smashes you with physical force when it touches you, eh?

And clearly light can pass through ruby quartz.

Anyways, I thought I'd seen evidence for and against. I know the blasts are theorized to be comprised of gravitons, which presumably travel lightspeed...?

The event was like Cresh mentioned. Sue made a weird tunnel and Cyclops blasted through it, curving his blast, which shouldn't really be possible anyways. It was also mentioned as a side, descriptive note, so could be chalked up to descriptive words like "unlimited power" and similar hyperbole.

Just my two cents.

Original Smurph
Well it seems to have been retconned because he was blitzed at the speed of light buy Aurora. And the scan said Speed of Light>Optic blasts in speed. Isn't that comparing the speed of light to the speed it would take his visor to open?

Or so I thought.

Creshosk
Originally posted by Original Smurph
Light smashes you with physical force when it touches you, eh? In theory if you had enough photons tightly packed together enough it could. That's also the theory behind the concept of forcefields and solid holograms.

And clearly light can pass through ruby quartz. Not all frequencies. of light.

Anyways, I thought I'd seen evidence for and against. I know the blasts are theorized to be comprised of gravitons, which presumably travel lightspeed...?

The event was like Cresh mentioned. Sue made a weird tunnel and Cyclops blasted through it, curving his blast, which shouldn't really be possible anyways.I supposed it's due to the nanofilter of her force field that allows light through in finite enough quantities that lasers can't penetrate her forcefield either. But she can still see through. Sort of like a micromesh screen can let water through an area at a slowed rate.

It was also mentioned as a side, descriptive note, so could be chalked up to descriptive words like "unlimited power" and similar hyperbole. I don't think the speed of light is used as a hyperbole often enough to qualify.

Just my two cents. And they are very welcome. If nothing else its like fridge logic for me to give me more to think about.

Rutog98
None of them.

Aside from Emma frost not being present in the fight, While Xavier was this fight's been done and then some.
X-Men Volume 2 issue #25. Magneto shows up catching everyone including Xavier and Jean grey off guard. He slipped through their defenses. And he pinned everyone present X-Men and X-factor alike. Making it so they couldn't use their powers. Then he casually kills one of his minions with his own power. Then proceeds to lecture his hostages.

If it weren't for Bishop... But I notice he's not on the list.

The whole thing was PIS. To begins with, Magneto was travelling through the atmosphere with Astroid M in tow. The thing was so huge it was causing atmospheric disturbances. Storm should have felt that moving through the air and she should have felt the atmoshperic disturbances. Therefore, Magneto should not have been able to catch the X-Men by surprise. Magneto sneaked up on the telepaths and that is understandable. He can jam telepathy and has been able to weaken telepathy through warping EM fields for a very long time. However, Storm's ability to detect movement, energy and disturbances in the environment was ignored for him to sneak up on the team.

Secondly, he attacked the team with the iron in the blood trick while they were talking to him. Nobody attacked him before or while he was pulling that stunt. With the super powers arrayed against him, he could have been killed in the first split second of a fight if the X-Men really wanted to do him in. That Fatal Attraction scan does not work in Magneto's favor in debates. It only shows that he can do an iron-in-the-blood manipulation on people if they stand around and talk while allowing him do what he wants to them.

Rutog98

Storm gets her lightning and storms canceled out.

This is completely wrong.

http://img86.imageshack.us/i/stormandmagneto1vm.jpg/
http://img163.imageshack.us/i/stormandmagneto26nv.jpg/

Notice that her winds alone were able to greatly strain his powers. And if she pulled that trick on him while protecting herself with one of these:
http://img134.imageshack.us/i/pressuredome14ac.jpg/
http://img134.imageshack.us/i/pressuredome21bz.jpg/
http://img155.imageshack.us/i/pressuredome39dt.jpg/

He would not be able to take her out with a piece of metal projectile.
shifty

Plus there is another instance where Magneto stated that Storm had the power to beat him if she did not hold back.

thanos-prime
Originally posted by Rutog98
This is completely wrong.

http://img86.imageshack.us/i/stormandmagneto1vm.jpg/
http://img163.imageshack.us/i/stormandmagneto26nv.jpg/

Notice that her winds alone were able to greatly strain his powers. And if she pulled that trick on him while protecting herself with one of these:
http://img134.imageshack.us/i/pressuredome14ac.jpg/
http://img134.imageshack.us/i/pressuredome21bz.jpg/
http://img155.imageshack.us/i/pressuredome39dt.jpg/

He would not be able to take her out with a piece of metal projectile.
shifty

Plus there is another instance where Magneto stated that Storm had the power to beat him if she did not hold back. he doesn't need to control her powers to beat her

Creshosk
You know what's nice?

When you put known fanboys on ignore you can't see their idiotic rants.

This person is on your Ignore List. To view this post click

Blanket
You know what's nice?

When you put known fanboys on ignore you can't see their idiotic rants.

This person is on your Ignore List. To view this post click I have Rutog on it too!

Rutog98
he doesn't need to control her powers to beat her

If you measure up power feats between the two, Storm comes out on top by leaps and bounds.

Creshosk
Originally posted by Blanket
I have Rutog on it too! Isn't it great not having to read stupid shit, that blatantly ignores storm's opponents powers and history?

iceman24567
Originally posted by Rutog98
If you measure up power feats between the two, Storm comes out on top by leaps and bounds. Really???

Mindset
Rutog said it, it must be true.

iceman24567
Rutog said it, it must be true. I don't even know how to pronounce his name but i concede thumb up

peejayd
Are Cyclops blasts light speed? I dont think so, but some people believe it to be so

* Cyke's blast = speed of light:

http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/4316/824355uxman311super.jpg

Reallybadman
Don't you think that that panel is a little hyperbolic?

I mean, it just doesn't seem correct that his blast are moving at the speed of light.

ExodusCloak
Originally posted by Reallybadman
Don't you think that that panel is a little hyperbolic?

I mean, it just doesn't seem correct that his blast are moving at the speed of light.

The beam moves at the speed of light, the time it takes for the mechanics on his visor to work is a lot slower.

srankmissingnin
Well it seems to have been retconned because he was blitzed at the speed of light buy Aurora. And the scan said Speed of Light>Optic blasts in speed.

If you read the scan what it actually says is that the speed of servo in Cyclops' visor is significantly slower than the speed of light. It doesn't say that Aurora is faster than the speed of light, it says Cyclop's optic blasts move at the speed of light, but it doesn't matter because she is faster than Cyclops' visor mechanisms. I mean... it says right in the panels that she steps into the gap between the speed of light (ie his optic blast) and Cyclops' visors speed; for the life of me I don't know how Mungi interpreted that as Aurora and Northstar being light speed and convinced everyone else that's what was said, because the actual implicates of what was said are pretty clear.

-Pr-

no it didnt. it said the servos in his visor were < C.

and it was northstar.

also, when someone mentioned controlling cyclops' powers, i assumed they meant redirecting the beams themselves, which i doubt magneto could do.

and no, i don't think cyclops' blasts are speed of light. that would mean that he has a shitty aim, given the times he's missed targets.

ExodusCloak
Originally posted by -Pr-

and no, i don't think cyclops' blasts are speed of light. that would mean that he has a shitty aim, given the times he's missed targets.

That would be the visors fault though, right? It would mean he'd have to pre-empt the position of his target if they're uber fast.

srankmissingnin
Originally posted by ExodusCloak
That would be the visors fault though, right? It would mean he'd have to pre-empt the position of his target if they're uber fast.

Exactly there is a delay (however small that maybe) between the time when he locates a target and when his visor opens up and allows for the blast.

-Pr-
Originally posted by ExodusCloak

that's true, and should be considered. i still don't think the blasts are speed of light, though. one obscure scan and another slightly hyperbolic one don't contradict years of seemingly slower blasts, imo.

Rage.Of.Olympus
Magneto can take on the entire team at the same time and win.

weaponx510
Maagneto Beats then in less than one mintue and nightcrawler cant teleport in magnetos shield

Blanket
Maagneto Beats. then in less than one mintue nightcrawler cant teleport in magnetos shield fixed?

Creshosk
fixed? More like this:

Magneto beats them in less than one minute, and Nightcrawler can't teleport into Magneto's shield.

Lostedge
Rogue ... and maybe Storm. Rogue sucks the power from Cyclops, Nightcrawler and rest of the X-men and solos. This would leave rest of the team pretty vulnerable, but beating Magneto is more important than some silly mission ...

Blanket
More like this: Nope. I like my version better.

thanos-prime
Originally posted by Lostedge
Rogue ... and maybe Storm. Rogue sucks the power from Cyclops, Nightcrawler and rest of the X-men and solos. This would leave rest of the team pretty vulnerable, but beating Magneto is more important than some silly mission ... even with the combined power there is nothing stopping him from ripping her apart

Creshosk
Originally posted by Lostedge
Rogue ... and maybe Storm. Rogue sucks the power from Cyclops, Nightcrawler and rest of the X-men and solos. This would leave rest of the team pretty vulnerable, but beating Magneto is more important than some silly mission ... And Magneto just sits there while she absorbs their powers?

It's actually not a good idea to put all your eggs in one basket like that anyway.

If they can't move or access their powers its a moot point anyway.

Creshosk
Nope. I like my version better. Oh, I get it... Yeah, yours is better.

Metalmanx
that's true, and should be considered. i still don't think the blasts are speed of light, though. one obscure scan and another slightly hyperbolic one don't contradict years of seemingly slower blasts, imo.

There have been at least THREE instances that I can recall off the top of my head that state Cyke's optic blasts travel at the speed of light.

-Pr-
Originally posted by Metalmanx
There have been at least THREE instances that I can recall off the top of my head that state Cyke's optic blasts travel at the speed of light.

and yet his blasts are still dodged by plenty of people...

batdude123
They dodge his aim/field of vision.

Creshosk
and yet his blasts are still dodged by plenty of people... Just like the street level guys dodge bullets. its not because they're faster than bullets, its because they're faster than the guy with the gun.

Unless you really think that guys like Wolverine, and Dardevil and Batman can move at speeds greater than 1500 m/s.

But I don't think that they can move at 355 mph. I do think they can move faster than normal people can react.

Same concept. people who dodge cyclops aren't moving at superliminal speeds. They're just getting out of the way before his visor opens and before he starts to make it open.

peejayd
Originally posted by Metalmanx

* is this one of those? smile

Metalmanx
* is this one of those? smile

Now FOUR instances!

Thanks, peeyayd. smile

thanos-prime
Just like the street level guys dodge bullets. its not because they're faster than bullets, its because they're faster than the guy with the gun.

Unless you really think that guys like Wolverine, and Dardevil and Batman can move at speeds greater than 1500 m/s.

But I don't think that they can move at 355 mph. I do think they can move faster than normal people can react.

Same concept. people who dodge cyclops aren't moving at superliminal speeds. They're just getting out of the way before his visor opens and before he starts to make it open. Daredevil has dodged bullets not just aim

Creshosk
Daredevil has dodged bullets not just aim How many times?

thanos-prime
How many times? many times he has the reflexes to bat bullets away with his club

Creshosk
many times he has the reflexes to bat bullets away with his club Not quite what I meant, as Wolverine has cut bullets out of the air. That would still be about the same as timing to get out of the way of the bullet. Just the reverse is all and putting something in the path.

Though its kind of silly considering how much force bullets have.

Which means I'll have to ask again. how many times has he done it?

thanos-prime
Not quite what I meant, as Wolverine has cut bullets out of the air. That would still be about the same as timing to get out of the way of the bullet. Just the reverse is all and putting something in the path.

Though its kind of silly considering how much force bullets have.

Which means I'll have to ask again. how many times has he done it? i told you many he has also dodged lasers you want some scans?

Creshosk
i told you many he has also dodged lasers you want some scans? I'm not saying he hasn't. I'm just saying that it needs to have been over a certain number of times for it to be believable for me that he could do it. Because you're sort of not understanding that without superspeed he shouldn't be able to move at 1500m/s and without suprstrength he shouldn't be able to bat bullets out of the air.

But if he's done it enough times then its acceptable. otherwise its writers not understanding the physics involved and having characters do things beyond their powerset limitations.

thanos-prime
I'm not saying he hasn't. I'm just saying that it needs to have been over a certain number of times for it to be believable for me that he could do it. Because you're sort of not understanding that without superspeed he shouldn't be able to move at 1500m/s and without suprstrength he shouldn't be able to bat bullets out of the air.

But if he's done it enough times then its acceptable. otherwise its writers not understanding the physics involved and having characters do things beyond their powerset limitations. what you don't seem to understand is that you can't always apply physics to the comic world street levelers are always doing things classified as superhuman

-Pr-
They dodge his aim/field of vision.

when with his aim, they really shouldn't.

Just like the street level guys dodge bullets. its not because they're faster than bullets, its because they're faster than the guy with the gun.

Same concept. people who dodge cyclops aren't moving at superliminal speeds. They're just getting out of the way before his visor opens and before he starts to make it open.

i know. i still dont think the blast is lightspeed, though.

batdude123

They do.

gogogadgetgo

Cyclops
Storm
Emma Frost
Psylocke
Nightcrawler
Jean Grey (no PF)
Rogue
Gambit

rogue and jean grey. maneto had the hots for her once iirc.....

Rage.Of.Olympus
Originally posted by gogogadgetgo
rogue and jean grey. maneto had the hots for her once iirc.....

Unless they try to seduce him they don't stand a chance.

Mshinu
Originally posted by Rage.Of.Olympus
Unless they try to seduce him they don't stand a chance.

Rogue already tried that...
http://img448.imageshack.us/img448/2015/magphysicallybeatsrogue4vt.jpg

Creshosk
what you don't seem to understand is that you can't always apply physics to the comic world street levelers are always doing things classified as superhuman Ironic.

No, they just have to be done a certain number of times before I'll accept them. Otherwise they fall into the SMvsFL category.

i know. i still dont think the blast is lightspeed, though. Its been stated on panel several times. The problem is the servos in the visor coupled with the opponents skill.

-Pr-
They do.

Ironic.

No, they just have to be done a certain number of times before I'll accept them. Otherwise they fall into the SMvsFL category.

Its been stated on panel several times. The problem is the servos in the visor coupled with the opponents skill.

i disagree. shrug

Creshosk
i disagree. shrug You disagree with what's stated on panel several times?

weaponx510
magento wins with hands tied behind his back

-Pr-
You disagree with what's stated on panel several times?

i don't think his general portrayal has been that of someone with light speed beams. yes, i know it's been stated on panel, and that's all well and good, but when you take in to account how many people he's missed when he's supposed to have this crazy accuracy, i don't see how the blasts could be that fast.

i think they're hyperbole, tbh.

Creshosk
i don't think his general portrayal has been that of someone with light speed beams. yes, i know it's been stated on panel, and that's all well and good, but when you take in to account how many people he's missed when he's supposed to have this crazy accuracy, i don't see how the blasts could be that fast.

i think they're hyperbole, tbh. Because the people he's shot at aren't slouches at dodging? He's nailed wolverine on a number of occasions as well. And he's someone that's hard even for super speed powered characters to tag when he's in full dodge mode.

He is crazy accurate but the opponent is always a random variable on where they can dodge to.

-Pr-
Because the people he's shot at aren't slouches at dodging? He's nailed wolverine on a number of occasions as well. And he's someone that's hard even for super speed powered characters to tag when he's in full dodge mode.

He is crazy accurate but the opponent is always a random variable on where they can dodge to.

and i don't disagree. it's just that the amount of people he's missed over the years, even with his aim, suggests to me that the blasts just aren't that fast. very fast? yes. lightspeed? not imo.

Creshosk
and i don't disagree. it's just that the amount of people he's missed over the years, even with his aim, suggests to me that the blasts just aren't that fast. very fast? yes. lightspeed? not imo. I'm not sure what the difference would be. Either way he wasn't quite calculating his opponents right. there'd be less of a margin on his part if they were C. as a slower beam he'd have to calculate it being where they were going to be based on its speed. with it being C there'd be less calculation.

Of course him missing could still be like flash's comics lasting longer than a few panels. its so that there's a story. If Cyclops auto hit every time the stories wouldn't last as long.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.