The Box

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Impediment
See the trailer.

Based off of a short story by Richard Matheson (my absolute favorite author) called "Button, button", it's being written for the screen and directed by Donnie Darko's Richard Kelly.

Synopsis:

"What if someone gave you a box containing a button that, if pushed, would bring you a million dollars…but simultaneously take the life of someone you don’t know? Would you do it? And what would be the consequences? The year is 1976. Norma Lewis is a teacher at a private high school and her husband, Arthur, is an engineer working at NASA. They are, by all accounts, an average couple living a normal life in the suburbs with their young son…until a mysterious man with a horribly disfigured face appears on their doorstep and presents Norma with a life-altering proposition: the box. With only 24 hours to make their choice, Norma and Arthur face an impossible moral dilemma. What they don’t realize is that no matter what they decide, terrifying consequences will have already been set in motion. They soon discover that the ramifications of this decision are beyond their control and extend far beyond their own fortune and fate."

For those of you who don't know who Richard Matheson is (tsk, tsk), he is one of the greatest horror writers ever. Matheson has a talent for short stories, both horror and sci-fi. He wrote I am Legend. One collection of short stories is called "Nightmare at 20,000 Feet", and it has some bad ass stories therein. You've probably watched more than one of the movie adaptations of his books. "Stir of Echoes" (Kevin Bacon) is one of them. Remember that episode (or sequence from the movie) of The Twilight Zone where the man is on the airplane and sees the gremlin on the wing, but nobody believes him? That is Matheson's work. The Shrinking Man is also a great one, as is Duel. Remember Duel? Thats the story about the man in the car "battling" a rogue 18 wheeler. It was also the very first movie that Steven Spielberg directed. He also has a knack for romance novels, both of which were made into movies, Somewhere in Time (Christopher Reeve & Jane Seymore) and What Dreams May Come (Robin Williams & Cuba Gooding Jr.). His most recent novel in "Hunted Past Reason", a suspense thriller novel about two men hiking in the deep wilderness of Yellowstone Park, and one hiker "snaps" and psychotically and sadistically chases and tortures the other hiker. My personal favorite is "Hell House", the grand daddy KING of haunted house novels. This is one of the few books I have ever read that actually made me sleep with my lights on.

Rogue Jedi
Looks good, Frank Langella FTW.

BruceSkywalker
I have always enjoyed Richard Matheson's works.. I will see this

lil bitchiness
I saw a trailer for this few days ago, and I think it will be interesting. Will be seeing it, for sure.

MildPossession
Not a fan of the two leads but will check it out. If it goes by the original source, it should be good.

Donnie Darko I adore, Southland Tales I didn't. Hope he has gone back to Donnie Darko good.

celestialdemon
Hopefully this will be good. I really enjoyed the Twilight Zone version of this.

jaden101
Looks quite interesting.

Robtard
There was a Twilight Zone or Outer Limits episode done of this in the late 80's or early 90's.

I'd say the spoiler of that episode, but it might ruinthe movie.

MildPossession
I thought that put on a new ending different to the original story by Matherson?

Impediment
I saw it, too, when I was younger. I wiki'd the plot summary because I forgot the names of the actors.

Impediment
Originally posted by MildPossession
I thought that put on a new ending different to the original story by Matherson?

Matheson strongly disapproved of the episode.

Nemesis X
LVK-hVGqCpo

Out of all the hosts to pick for "Who Wants to be a Millionaire", Jigsaw had to be the one to to get picked.

Kazenji
Embedding disabled by host.

siriuswriter
looks exciting smile i love these kinds of thrillers where it's all "but what if you did this instead of this?"

and the trailer isn't all *THIS IS THE PLOT* which is always a plus.

piqued my interest, i'll probably see it late in the theatre run.

BruceSkywalker
i may pass on this, i will wait and see

The Nuul
Looks not bad, not a on big screen though. DVD its def a watch.

saintsaucey
When I was at church camp a group from purdue used to do this as a skit. It barely worked as a 15 minute skit I don't see them stretching it into 2 hours believably

Robtard
Originally posted by saintsaucey
When I was at church camp a group from purdue used to do this as a skit. It barely worked as a 15 minute skit I don't see them stretching it into 2 hours believably

It's a short story by Richard Matheson (I am Legend) called "Button, Button". In the late 80's The Twilight Zone did an episode based off of it, it to was only 20 minutes long. I still remember it.

-Pr-
the fact that i can't stand james marsden means i dunno if i'd watch this. it looks like a radical departure from the original story, which is interesting though.

is it me, or is there something up with frank langella's face in that trailer? at first i thought he was smoking a cigar, but it looks like he's deformed or something...

MildPossession
It's getting extremely rubbish comments from people who have seen it... somewhere I read that one group of viewers grade what they see like school grades, C is suppose to be a rubbish mark usually but most gave it F...

And sounds like they have changed the ending compared to the book too.

The Nuul
I heard this is very boring and crap reviews.

MildPossession
http://uk.movies.yahoo.com/blog/article/8427/the-boxthe-worst-film-in-recent-years.html

One place. Oo er.

Darth Vicious
Cameron Diaz is such a gorgeous woman. That being said, this movie was crap!

Rogue Jedi
Saw this the other night, not terrible. Reminded me of this:

1jjN-H62U64

SnakeEyes
I want to see this eventually, but I'm in no hurry. I kind of can't stand Cameron Diaz though... she was smokin' hot in The Mask, but since then... not so much. And let's face it, despite her hotness, is she really all that good of an actress?

Rogue Jedi
She's pretty in this flick, can't see her body too much. James Mardsen was good. It's worth a rental.

Impediment
Richard Matheson is one of my all time favorite authors. He is incredibly talented.

Hunted Past Reason really needs to be adapted into a film.

Robtard
Movie wasn't very good, think of David Lynch, but a fail. No midgets, not checkered floors and no red drapes.

RQTBallGirl
I just finally watched this two days ago...UGH...am I the only one who felt it just dragged by? And why did I have no idea it had an alien twist? Jeesh...

K.Diddy
smokin' Watched this last night,Movie was very average,It started off strongly,but I felt the movie just over complicated itself when it was just unescsary,I too felt the movie was a tad overlong and dragged a bit,Average 5/10

jinXed by JaNx
Originally posted by SnakeEyes
I want to see this eventually, but I'm in no hurry. I kind of can't stand Cameron Diaz though... she was smokin' hot in The Mask, but since then... not so much. And let's face it, despite her hotness, is she really all that good of an actress?

No, not really but she is type cast as that friendly blonde well. I don't like so much in the more serious roles, kind of like this one but she did well enough. I just didn't like the movie to well. I was bored through most of it. It felt like to little of a story for a feature film.

RE: Blaxican
I thought Diaz was pretty good in Gangs of New York.

That might just be because of how aroused her accent made me though.

Mr Parker
Originally posted by Impediment
See the trailer.

Based off of a short story by Richard Matheson (my absolute favorite author) called "Button, button", it's being written for the screen and directed by Donnie Darko's Richard Kelly.

Synopsis:

"What if someone gave you a box containing a button that, if pushed, would bring you a million dollars…but simultaneously take the life of someone you don’t know? Would you do it? And what would be the consequences? The year is 1976. Norma Lewis is a teacher at a private high school and her husband, Arthur, is an engineer working at NASA. They are, by all accounts, an average couple living a normal life in the suburbs with their young son…until a mysterious man with a horribly disfigured face appears on their doorstep and presents Norma with a life-altering proposition: the box. With only 24 hours to make their choice, Norma and Arthur face an impossible moral dilemma. What they don’t realize is that no matter what they decide, terrifying consequences will have already been set in motion. They soon discover that the ramifications of this decision are beyond their control and extend far beyond their own fortune and fate."

For those of you who don't know who Richard Matheson is (tsk, tsk), he is one of the greatest horror writers ever. Matheson has a talent for short stories, both horror and sci-fi. He wrote I am Legend. One collection of short stories is called "Nightmare at 20,000 Feet", and it has some bad ass stories therein. You've probably watched more than one of the movie adaptations of his books. "Stir of Echoes" (Kevin Bacon) is one of them. Remember that episode (or sequence from the movie) of The Twilight Zone where the man is on the airplane and sees the gremlin on the wing, but nobody believes him? That is Matheson's work. The Shrinking Man is also a great one, as is Duel. Remember Duel? Thats the story about the man in the car "battling" a rogue 18 wheeler. It was also the very first movie that Steven Spielberg directed. He also has a knack for romance novels, both of which were made into movies, Somewhere in Time (Christopher Reeve & Jane Seymore) and What Dreams May Come (Robin Williams & Cuba Gooding Jr.). His most recent novel in "Hunted Past Reason", a suspense thriller novel about two men hiking in the deep wilderness of Yellowstone Park, and one hiker "snaps" and psychotically and sadistically chases and tortures the other hiker. My personal favorite is "Hell House", the grand daddy KING of haunted house novels. This is one of the few books I have ever read that actually made me sleep with my lights on.

I had no idea he directed such really good films such as Stir of echos and Duel.Knowing that I GOT to see this movie soon.which I had seen it then at the movies.

K.Diddy
Originally posted by jinXed by JaNx
It felt like to little of a story for a feature film.

smile Couldn't of said it better myself

Kazenji
Originally posted by Rogue Jedi
Saw this the other night, not terrible. Reminded me of this:

1jjN-H62U64

And before that The Twilight Zone.

-Pr-
Originally posted by Impediment
Richard Matheson is one of my all time favorite authors. He is incredibly talented.

Hunted Past Reason really needs to be adapted into a film.

so they can balls that up to? Bar What Dreams May Come (which was very different but yet still awesome), I rarely feel like they can adapt a Matheson book properly.

and yes, i'm including I Am Legend lol.

Wolfie
I enjoyed it. It felt like two movies, though. It started really suspenseful with the button, then it just got bizarre. It's not a Richard Kelly-type movie.

siriuswriter
EARGH. I hate when movies have such potential and then totally bomb. HATED IT.... but I can it being brilliant with a different cast and different flow. So I guess I'll keep on tormenting myself about this completely LOST movie.

Having now wiki'ed the original plot and the Twilight zone plot, I really like when they turn it down, and the dude with the box is like, oh, that's okay.... I'll just offer it to some people you know nothing about. That generated creepy feelings. big grin Ah, well.

Wolfie
Originally posted by siriuswriter
Having now wiki'ed the original plot and the Twilight zone plot, I really like when they turn it down, and the dude with the box is like, oh, that's okay.... I'll just offer it to some people you know nothing about. That generated creepy feelings. big grin Ah, well.
Whether they pushed the button or not is irrelevant. What he says afterward is in the movie, and it had the same effect. The only thing is that the movie kept going. The original story doesn't have enough to fill a feature length film. That's why Kelly added how he interpreted what would happen to them after.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.