What does she say???

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Izz
Hello! I'm new here, so I hope this hasn't been asked before. I'm trying to learn elvish at the moment and I was wondering: what does Galadriel say at the beginning of the Felloship of the Ring ( you know, with 'the world is changed' ). I hope you can help me!

Bye bye Izy

Mujaffa
i feel it in the water..

Izz
I know what she says in english, but she whispers something, elvish i guess.

Dexx
yes, yes...i really just remember a fog..ahanostra mem..or something like that anyway.

mah
"I amar prestar aen." ("The world is changed."wink
"Han mathon ne nen." ("I feel it in the water."wink
"Han mathon ne chae."("I feel it in the earth."wink
"A han noston ne 'wilith."("I smell it in the air."wink

Dexx
Ha!..so i almost caught that last line...

Mujaffa
han naus saa grasat atte dritten forsvant ut av rompa paa han..
this is very difficult elvish

Lara
....................Elvish, incredible but yet no one really understands or speaks it well. I too wish to learn Elvish, Izz but tiz tricky. Tolkien was a genious!

mah
there are a good bunch of people who know it though

Mujaffa
like mesmile

mah
..no

Mujaffa
yes.

mah
I'm talking about people who actually know how to speak and write elvish

Mujaffa
han naus saa grasat atte dritten forsvant ut av rompa paa han..

Ushgarak
That's just the same thing again... hardly impressive...

mah
or elvish...

Izz
Really thanks! I kind of heard the first line and the 'nen' in it, but I'm not very good at elvish yet. If anyone knows all the elvish things they say in the movies, I would really like to know.

bye Izzz

mah
check this out , you'll find most quotes plus soundfiles of them there

Fire
mah is right when he says a good deal of ppl speak and write elvish but almost no two ppl their elvish will be the same for there is no real way of learning it atleast not for the common public as far as I know
I mostly use the dictionairy I found it is by a company called grey heavens wether or not it is lotr elvish the real elvish I dunno
I just use that one because my role playing friends use it

mah
well there's no other complete elvish language than that of tolkien as far as I know. and the grey havens site has obviously tolkien-elvish(grey havens being in middle-earth and all!)

Fire
yea I know but some of their words vary from words found on other pages on the net
if anyone wants the acrobat file, of the grey haven elven dictionairy lemme know quite useful

Izz
Thanks again! great site. elvish is sooo cool. and soooo difficult. especially when your not english and learning elvish by english lessons...
is anyone here trying to learn it too?

mah
so where you from?

Dexx
i have huge pages saved on a lot of languages in tolkien's work. Quenya and all that other pack, orcish, dwarvish...not that i've really read those things. I'd like to know elvish..but i'd like to know another real foreign language instead..i can use that smile

Izz
I'm from the Netherlands ( in Europe). I know 'normal' english, but I really don't know words like syllables and consonants. I've looked them up in a dictionary, but I keep forgetting them. At school we only learn things like : I would like to book a double room, I wouldn't do that if I were you, and more stuff like that....
I agree there's no sense in learning elvish, but it just sounds so cool. Dutch sounds quite blunt, and elvish is really soft, it just kind of glides out of your mouth. O help, I'm getting poetic, I'd better stop writing...

mah
why, you're english is perfect!

finti

Dexx
don't get me wrong, i'd love to know quenya. (btw if i use the silmarillion's last pages dictionary i can probably put up a sentence..but forget about grammarbig grin)

p.s. yeah..english at my school sucks too...

mah
true what finti said. and tolkiens myths about middle-earth are very much influenced by the finnish legend Kalevala

Izz
Dexx, where are you from? Yes, english at school really sucks. Most english I know I've learned by watching television or reading english books (like LOTR smile ).

Ohtararato

Arwenishott
wow that is awesome......u must kno elzish pretty well................i heard it is very hard to because there are too few words known to mankind.

Exa
Wow, Ohtararato, thank you smile
(What does your name mean? I have no Quenya wordlists at the moment, but is it something like "noble warrior"? "Champion Warrior"?

I think Quenya is too difficult for me, I'll keep learning more Sindarin smile

Only Quenya sounds a bit like Finnish, Sindarin is rather like Welsh.

Izz
The Quenya version's cool.

aniron
iamma heyana, anw a nennen (dunno anymore)

aniron
im only guessing *sniff*

OrliNElijahsGrl
i found in a book store at my mall a book on elvish, called "middle earth languages" and it has elvish in it, and its SOOO awesome, im going to get it soon, i wanted to get it, but i didnt have enough to get it, so i hide it somewhere so no one else could get it, cuz there was 4 books left! I think elvish is a amazing and beautiful language and i enjoy learning how to speak it, and i enjoy speaking it, there is a site i go to to learn it, i printed it all out and ill sit and learn it, and practice with it, today..i told someone "namaarie" which means farewell in elvish, and they were like: what?? and so i told them what it meant, and they were like: oohhh your speaking elvish! how neat!

hehehee! i was like: yeah im learning it, i think its amazing and she was like: well that is neat, good luck with learning it!

Hypernova
Liv and Viggo did their Elvish lines very well!

I am impressed on Liv's interpretation of her character and on her lines. Cool! thumb up I'm sure people have said this before, in the million threads on this subject big grin

Exa
I like Arwen's Sindarin better, she speaks clearer... but of course Aragorn's Sindarin fits his character.

Hypernova
Okay, Sindarin. It's Elvish to me laughing out loud laughing out loud

Exa rock rock

Exa
But Elvish is not a very exact word... that's like calling English "Mannish" or something. Could be anything smile

Ok Elvish stick out tongue so Arwens Elvish is perfect smile
(at least as perfect as elvish in a film can b)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.