Ghz?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Jovan
Hey,

I'm interested in buying the new Wolfenstein game.
It needs a 3.4 GHz Pentium 4 as minimum.
I have this laptop: http://www.laptopshop.be/product/66047/acer-aspire-8930g-644g50bn-azerty.html
(thus 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo-processor T6400). Does this mean I cannot play Wolfenstein because the GHz is too low?

What is the exact deal with Pentium 4 vs Intel Core 2 Duo?

Bardock42
You should be alright with your Core 2 Duo, I believe.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Jovan
Hey,

I'm interested in buying the new Wolfenstein game.
It needs a 3.4 GHz Pentium 4 as minimum.
I have this laptop: http://www.laptopshop.be/product/66047/acer-aspire-8930g-644g50bn-azerty.html
(thus 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo-processor T6400). Does this mean I cannot play Wolfenstein because the GHz is too low?

What is the exact deal with Pentium 4 vs Intel Core 2 Duo?

Core processing is better than single core processing, depending on the clock, and bus.

Bards is correct.

A core duo 2 leaves just about any old school P4 in the dust.

What you're really wanting is FLOPS.

Google FLOPS.

I wish all chips measured in a standized FLOPS because none of this Hertz stuff makes sense.

Jovan
Thanks for the headsup, guys! I'll give it a shot.
Unfortunatly, I can not find how many FLOPS my laptop has, which is annoying me a bit because from what I've read they should include it so less knowledgable people can figure out which one is the better one.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Jovan
Thanks for the headsup, guys! I'll give it a shot.
Unfortunatly, I can not find how many FLOPS my laptop has, which is annoying me a bit because from what I've read they should include it so less knowledgable people can figure out which one is the better one.

I agree with you.

Calculations a second is certainly a MUCH better measure of how "fast" a CPU is, rather than the number of cycles the CPU can go through.

Even then, FLOPS is not the best way to measure as those are just calculations. However, coming up with a standardized test that truly measures a CPU's performance are done in an almost subjective manner, all the time, in magazines and on PC websites. They have benchmarking software out there. There's also single precision and double precision measures, too. (Double would be closer to reality, IMO.)

occultdestroyer
That game will run in any Dual Core processor.

Jovan
Yeah, it does. Everything on high and no framerate drop.
Played a tiny tad yesterday... game is nothing special at all thus far. Even Prey was better at this point, imo stick out tongue

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.