Kidnapped woman hidden in CA backyard for 18 years

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

occultdestroyer
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090828/ap_on_re_us/us_kidnapped_girl_found

steverules_2
So she's now 29

How'd she get found?

bogen
Indeed how did she get found and why would the authorities report her location at some motel for all to know, surely now the woman deserves some privacy.

Darth Vicious
Theres more details in the link below. Im surprised that she didnt get away (or tried) in all this time.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/08/28/california.missing.girl/index.html

Darth Jello
You think Bill O'Reilly is gonna run another blame the victim "she liked being kidnapped and abused" story like he did with that other kid a couple years back?

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Darth Jello
You think Bill O'Reilly is gonna run another blame the victim "she liked being kidnapped and abused" story like he did with that other kid a couple years back?

Darth Jello do you enjoy beating your wife? Man, you are one sick puppy. laughing

Darth Jello
What are you talking about?
You don't remember that? He ran a story about how some kid who was kidnapped and molested enjoyed it because he got to play video games and never made an escape attempt. He lost a whole bunch of sponsors and John Walsh banned him from a child welfare benefit he was originally scheduled to speak at.

Shakyamunison
What are you talking about?
You don't remember that? He ran a story about how some kid who was kidnapped and molested enjoyed it because he got to play video games and never made an escape attempt. He lost a whole bunch of sponsors and John Walsh banned him from a child welfare benefit he was originally scheduled to speak at.

What are you talking about? This thread has nothing to do with politics. Your hate for conservatives drives you to interject political bullshit in every thread you go to.

Don't get upset, just think about what I'm saying. Have a nice day.

Darth Jello
Actually, its my hate for media circuses and equal parts hate for both Bill O and Nancy Grace that take up tons of air time for what are essentially human interest stories and infotainment and often interfere with the judicial process. So settle down and go pop a vallium.

Bicnarok
poor woman, what a nightmare

Darth Jello
I agree, but is it really a story that warrants more than three days of non-local, national coverage, tons of analysis and speculation, intrusive scrutiny into the woman's life, sensationalism, and air time taken away from more important things like health care, the economy, and American Military campaigns? Do we really need graphic, harrowing details and speculation for hours on end by Nancy Grace with hours of airtime provided to professional experts who give psychological profiles and recreations. Not to mention the ones who will use this case to push beliefs, policies, and corporate products.

I know none of this has happened yet. I'm just afraid that Missing White Girl Syndrome may rear its ugly head again as it always has since Jon Benet Ramsey.

WhoopeeDee
Gawd! Those crazy Northern Californians AGAIN!

Let's just have the BIG ONE and we'll split. thumb up

Symmetric Chaos
The woman should be ostracized as should the officers that rescued her.

First of all she didn't escape, which she could have by working hard enough. Secondly as long as the government does things like this people will keep getting kidnapped rather than working to avoid it in the first place.

King Kandy
What a douchebag. I cannot believe he thinks people are going to fall for this shit.

Mairuzu
She sure has a lot of movies to watch

dadudemon
Originally posted by King Kandy
What a douchebag. I cannot believe he thinks people are going to fall for this shit.

This particular part, "Describing his two daughters, he said, "Those two girls slept in my arms every single night from birth; I never kissed them."

A normal person doesn't have to say that he never kissed his daughters, as a point to prove he wasn't doing things wrong with them. I certainly kiss my son and daughter. It's almost as if he is trying to convince himself or something.

It just seems really weird that he has to say something like that. That's not normal, by any means. Kissing your children and grandchildren should be normal. Me thinks he meant on da lips or in a sexual way.

Anyway. One sick bastard. And that lady probably did think about running away, everyday, in the beginning. Slowly, hope faded and that type of thinking disappeared.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by dadudemon
Anyway. One sick bastard.

A sick bastard who raised not only his own family but also another child all the while evading the police. He should be rewarded for the amount of work he put into this.

saphiree95
Is the girl retarded, why didn't she try to get away?

King Kandy
Originally posted by saphiree95
Is the girl retarded, why didn't she try to get away?
That happens to a lot of abductees. They get so terrorized by their captors it removes their will to escape.

Darth Jello
Have there been any reports about Stockholm Syndrome?

saphiree95
Have there been any reports about Stockholm Syndrome?

Good question

King Kandy
I think they will come up as time goes on.

Mr. Rhythmic
Thank the lord she's safe.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Mr. Rhythmic
Thank the lord she's safe.

*Thanks the Lord.*

King Kandy
*Thanks the Contra Costa Sheriff's Department"

Sadako of Girth
Yep Kandy is right. The lord allowed her to be kidnapped, and taken from her family, didnt he...?

What was his game, with that..? Has he been interviewed by legal investigators? How exactly did he facilitate the return, thusly demanding thanks..?

Goooooooooooooo Police force.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Sadako of Girth
Yep Kandy is right. The lord allowed her to be kidnapped, and taken from her family, didnt he...?

What was his game, with that..? Has he been interviewed by legal investigators? How exactly did he facilitate the return, thusly demanding thanks..?

Goooooooooooooo Police force.

Did God allow it? Did he? Or did an evil man exercise his free will to do something bad?

Unless a city is overrun with man on man buttsex, he rarely intervenes. laughing

Symmetric Chaos
Did God allow it? Did he? Or did an evil man exercise his free will to do something bad?

Unless a city is overrun with man on man buttsex, he rarely intervenes. laughing

Well then it seems unlikely he intervened here and thus probably shouldn't be given credit.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
Well then it seems unlikely he intervened here and thus probably shouldn't be given credit.

You don't thank the Lord to give him 100% credit, you thank the Lord for the because you're reunited with your loved one, even if the Lord had no direct hand in it. This is in addition to thanking those that helped, and beating the one who caused harm.

Keep in mind that God indirectly allows harm for growth. How can you know light if you don't know darkness?

GCG
A shed and a tent? What a lazy git;

At least Fritzl put some effort

Darth Jello
Heard it yesterday on the radio while getting my axes serviced. Stockholm Syndrome and she feels really ashamed of it. I really hope the usual assholes and reporters just leave her alone.

~The Wickerman~
Keep in mind that God indirectly allows harm for growth. How can you know light if you don't know darkness?

I can just see a cop watching a rape scene smoking a cigarette while the victim is screaming out the top of her lungs for help. Cop looks and goes "Hey...I'm just a tool of God ok? You need this to know LIGHT!"

Symmetric Chaos
laughing out loud

"I'm giving you room for growth, lady. Learn how to fight."

dadudemon
Originally posted by ~The Wickerman~
I can just see a cop watching a rape scene smoking a cigarette while the victim is screaming out the top of her lungs for help. Cop looks and goes "Hey...I'm just a tool of God ok? You need this to know LIGHT!"

That's the way it works.

no expression

Sadako of Girth
Well...it would work that way if it were true is a more accurate way of putting it.

Robtard
Why do people keep asking "why didn't she escape"?

She was taken as a child, she was molested/raped and she was kept behind locked doors. That would probably messed with someones head, who also knows what he told her in the beginning, not hard to threaten a child.

I do hope the **** and his cunting wife get the Dahmer treatment in prison.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Robtard
Why do people keep asking "why didn't she escape"?

She was taken as a child, she was molested/raped and she was kept behind locked doors. That would probably messed with someones head, who also knows what he told her in the beginning, not hard to threaten a child.

I do hope the **** and his cunting wife get the Dahmer treatment in prison.

Someone already mentioned Stockholm Syndrome. Though, that may not be the best way to describe it as that, I believe, is for hostage situations.

The Dark Cloud
Wow! I lived in Reno Nevada in 1991 (close to Lake Tahoe where she was kidnapped) and I remember this being huge news back then. It's amazing she was found alive.

For those asking "why didn't she escape"...please remember she was 11 when she was kidnapped and after years of mental brainwashing she didn't have the psychological willpower to leave.

I don't blame the government or sheriff's office for this...blame should be entirely placed on her captors. When I see cases like this I wonder how anybody could be against the death penalty. There shouldn't even be a trial...these 2 scumbags should just be taken behind the police station and shot

~The Wickerman~
Originally posted by The Dark Cloud
I don't blame the government or sheriff's office for this...blame should be entirely placed on her captors. When I see cases like this I wonder how anybody could be against the death penalty. There shouldn't even be a trial...these 2 scumbags should just be taken behind the police station and shot

I'm more of the "throw him in a cell with a man twice his size to be raped on a daily basis" persuasion. I just personally think that's more fitting than the death penalty.

inimalist
The woman should be ostracized as should the officers that rescued her.

First of all she didn't escape, which she could have by working hard enough. Secondly as long as the government does things like this people will keep getting kidnapped rather than working to avoid it in the first place.

A sick bastard who raised not only his own family but also another child all the while evading the police. He should be rewarded for the amount of work he put into this.

lol

thumb up

Someone already mentioned Stockholm Syndrome. Though, that may not be the best way to describe it as that, I believe, is for hostage situations.

I have written and researched a bunch about Stockholm Syndrome. Its very poorly defined and has no actual clinical psychological definition, and depending on which stats/definitions you go by, can be in up to 80% of all kidnapping cases, or as low as 15%.

It is more of a media catch phrase than a psychological condition, though it does describe a pattern of behaviour exhibited, to at least some degree, by almost everyone kept in a hostage situation, and in other ways to those keeping the hostages. It is probably best described as the breaking down of highly stereotypical roles that people take during hostage situations, ie: person with the gun is the hostage taker, the person in control, do what they say or die, their survival is also the hostages survival vs hostage is passive, does what they are told, deindividualized, etc.

Going by this and from the reports of hostages themselves, if you want to survive a hostage situation, your best bet might be to try and tell one of the hostage takers a little about yourself. This may break down the way the taker has put you in the role of "hostage" and make you a valuable individual who they would have more trouble killing, vs others who were taken. Though, given how unpredictable hostage takers likely are, this might end in you being made an example of.

Robtard
Originally posted by The Dark Cloud
I don't blame the government or sheriff's office for this...blame should be entirely placed on her captors.

There's reports that the police where told on more than one occasion that Garrido had young children in his backyard and the police did not investigate there at all, despite him being registered as a sex offender and pedophile.

If so (and I do personally believe it), the local police dropped the ball and should be held responsible, in the very least those officers involved and their supervisors should lose their jobs due to incompetence.

The case has now turned into a murder investigation, as remains were found. I think he had kidnapped; taken other children to his residence and killed them.

~The Wickerman~
Originally posted by Robtard
There's reports that the police where told on more than one occasion that Garrido had young children in his backyard and the police did not investigate there at all, despite him being registered as a sex offender and pedophile.

If so (and I do personally believe it), the local police dropped the ball and should be held responsible, in the very least those officers involved and their supervisors should lose their jobs due to incompetence.

The case has now turned into a murder investigation, as remains were found. I think he had kidnapped; taken other children to his residence and killed them.

There were also surprise house checks from his parole officer who never found a thing apparently. He should at least be fired for incompetence.

Robtard
Originally posted by ~The Wickerman~
There were also surprise house checks from his parole officer who never found a thing apparently. He should at least be fired for incompetence.

That actually makes it even worse, the parole standing. The police could have checked any part of his house; at any time, with out having to bother for a warrant.

shiv
L A z y

Robtard
Na, dude. Black people are lazy, this is downright incompetence; dangerous levels of it.

shiv
Yeah I guess maybe the doughnuts were getting cold at the bakery

dadudemon
Originally posted by inimalist
I have written and researched a bunch about Stockholm Syndrome. Its very poorly defined and has no actual clinical psychological definition, and depending on which stats/definitions you go by, can be in up to 80% of all kidnapping cases, or as low as 15%.

It is more of a media catch phrase than a psychological condition, though it does describe a pattern of behaviour exhibited, to at least some degree, by almost everyone kept in a hostage situation, and in other ways to those keeping the hostages. It is probably best described as the breaking down of highly stereotypical roles that people take during hostage situations, ie: person with the gun is the hostage taker, the person in control, do what they say or die, their survival is also the hostages survival vs hostage is passive, does what they are told, deindividualized, etc.

Going by this and from the reports of hostages themselves, if you want to survive a hostage situation, your best bet might be to try and tell one of the hostage takers a little about yourself. This may break down the way the taker has put you in the role of "hostage" and make you a valuable individual who they would have more trouble killing, vs others who were taken. Though, given how unpredictable hostage takers likely are, this might end in you being made an example of.

This was a good post so I am quoting it to give a bump on this page.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.