Depa Billaba vs Obi Wan Kenobi

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

SuperLuigi
All out

mattatom
What era Obi Wan is this?

SuperLuigi
the return of the sith

Anakin4Ever
This one is tough. Mace said that Depa surpassed him, but Obi-Wan does have Soresu, which will defend against Vaapad.

Slash_KMC
Vaapad? I thought Kenobi was the lightsider.

Darth_Glentract
Anyone else think Mace may have been exaggerating when he said Depa had surpassed him? It wouldn't be the first time a master spoke of his apprentice that way. I think it's definitely close though. It's been a few years since I read Shatterpoint, but I remember her being portrayed as very powerful. I think I'd give it to Depa, but I've been told I underrate Obi-Wan.

Red Nemesis
Originally posted by Slash_KMC
Vaapad? I thought Kenobi was the lightsider.

Yeah! It's not like Vaapad uses one's inner darkness to power it, making it extremely effective even when not employed against a powerful Dark Side Force presence!

truejedi
Originally posted by Red Nemesis
Vaapad uses one's inner darkness to power it, making it extremely effective even when not employed against a powerful Dark Side Force presence!

EXACTLY. Finally someone agrees with me on this point. I have heard so much "vapaad only works against darksiders... blah blah blah" that i had given up all hope.

Red Nemesis
I don't mean to throw this thread off topic, but it seems to have died anyway. This seems like the ideal place for a definitive discussion about what Vaapad does and does not do.

Case 1:
Vaapad practitioner vs. Dark Side User

This is the most common instance in vs. Threads- See Mace vs. Palpatine. In this situation, the 'superconducting loop' comes into effect. In the only canon case of this occurrence, Vaapad was thrown against a superior force user (Sidious). The Superconducting loop serves to equalize the disparity between the Vapaad user and his opponent. This only comes into effect with Force powers- it copied Sidious's Force Speed, but would not be able to copy someone's innate speed- like Grievous.

Case 2:
Vapaad Practitioner vs. Neutral user or non- Force Sensitive

This is probably the most common occurrence in universe, as there are fewer DS users to fight than say, droids. In this situation Vaapad is fueled by the user's inner darkness- the innate power of Mace Windu, for example. The 'loop does not come into play, but the user still 'skirts the penumbra' of the DS, as shown by Shatterpoint. This is the style that Windu uses in any fight where he is not outclassed by a DS force user.

You can't get Vaapad results without using a Vaapad state of mind.

I've thought this way for a long time.

truejedi
I've thought this way for a long time.

happy

Lord Lucien
So have I. I hate being excluded.

truejedi
lucien, you seem so much less happy now with your new avatar.

Lord Lucien
Is it the eyes?

truejedi
lol, i think its the demon look. Maybe the whole: I'm going to kill you, vs. i'm going to go jump on a koopa... i dunno.

Slash_KMC
What kinda name is Vaapad anyways.

Lord Lucien
What kind of name is Kyle Katarn? It's like Larry Leopard or Marty Muskrat.

Red Nemesis
Those are my initials. My name is Kyle K. Ya wanna fight about it?

Slash_KMC
Okay let's fight! Which music do you prefer for this fight, Battle of the Heroes or Duel of the Fates?

Anakin4Ever
Originally posted by truejedi
lucien, you seem so much less happy now with your new avatar.

The guy's got a point. You feeling lonely, Lucien?

nfactor1995
Curious to hear people's thoughts about this fight now.

TheNuisanceBird
Originally posted by nfactor1995

Same.

Trocity
Kenobi, obviously.

UCanShootMyNova
Kenobi in a close fight.

NTJack0
Ben one shots.

cs_zoltan
Originally posted by nfactor1995

Why? There's no argument to be made for Depa. Kenobi wins ez.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.