Underestimation of characters due to "goofiness"

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Endless Mike
I have noticed that many people tend to underestimate characters because of their inherent silliness. I myself used to do this all the time, for example I used to think the Flash rogues were worthless.

However even seemingly goofy or stupid characters can be legitimately powerful.

Take Toyman for example.

At first you think "This guy's gimmick is making exploding dolls, how is he supposed to be a threat to Superman?"

Then you realize he's one of the most brilliant robot scientists on earth, and has created things like nanotech, etc. Also he usually doesn't directly confront Superman but instead uses plans to distract him by going after civilians.

Another good example is Stilt-Man.

He's a guy who walks around on stilts, ridiculous right?

It turns out his stilts are actually a form of powered exoskeleton that gives him super strength, and he has an arsenal of weapons like knockout gas, electrical shocks, laser guns, etc.

What other characters seem silly at first but are actually legitimately dangerous?

willRules
Charles Xavier. Try explaining to someone that he's actually really powerful because of his brain and the company he keeps and people don't seem to get it.

Trackz
deadpool i would think

Symmetric Chaos
Vulture seems like such a lame character because of how he's treated but really a guy who can drain you life-force is pretty threatening.

Originally posted by willRules
Charles Xavier. Try explaining to someone that he's actually really powerful because of his brain and the company he keeps and people don't seem to get it.

Did you try mentioning the telepathy?

Digi
Half the members of the Great Lakes Avengers would qualify, even if we exclude Squirrel Girl (who could be a poster child for this thread).

Bouboumaster
Silver Surfer

The dude is basically.. GOD, and what he do: energy blast.

Endless Mike
Actually I think the silliness of Surfer comes from the fact that he's a naked silver guy who rides a surfboard through space

willRules
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
Did you try mentioning the telepathy?

He has telepathy? confused I thought he just put his fingers over his temples in an attempt to force hair out of his head no expression

Digi
Originally posted by Bouboumaster
Silver Surfer

The dude is basically.. GOD, and what he do: energy blast.

That's called CIS or PIS, depending on the situation. No one underestimates him.

Symmetric Chaos
He has telepathy? confused I thought he just put his fingers over his temples in an attempt to force hair out of his head no expression

A lot of people make that mistake.

Original Smurph
Plastic Man comes to mind

willRules
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
A lot of people make that mistake.

It's a mistake? confused

http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/6793/xavierfro.jpg

Alpha Centauri
Deadpool.

Not so much in the early days, but nowadays. People always remark on how they forget he was so badass, fast and one of Marvel's most formidable combatants. He's become more of an annoyance to people until they realise he's a legit threat.

-AC

WhoopeeDee
Originally posted by Endless Mike

What other characters seem silly at first but are actually legitimately dangerous?

Spellbinder

http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/0/229/222464-82813-spellbinder_large.jpg

The best non-magical illusionists in the DCU.

Doctor-Alvis
It looks like someone threw up Hot Wheels racetrack decals all over him.

Phantom Zone
Originally posted by Doctor-Alvis
It looks like someone threw up Hot Wheels racetrack decals all over him. laughing

outavodka
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
Deadpool.

Not so much in the early days, but nowadays. People always remark on how they forget he was so badass, fast and one of Marvel's most formidable combatants. He's become more of an annoyance to people until they realise he's a legit threat.

-AC i agree especially when hes just getting pain for jobs and getting laid in the end and not caring bout much because. well he is in insane

Darth Jello
Stilt-Man never posed any kind of threat to anyone but himself.

I can come up with a list of grossly underestimated characters pretty easily though:
Squirrel Girl
Bullseye
Mr. Fear/Larry Cranston
Purple Man
Mutant Zero/Typhoid
Crossbones
Living Laser
Black Tarantula
Sienna Blaze

Mindship
Actually I think the silliness of Surfer comes from the fact that he's a naked silver guy who rides a surfboard through space He just suffers from monologitis.

xJLxKing
Actually I think the silliness of Surfer comes from the fact that he's a naked silver guy who rides a surfboard through space
laughing out loud

Blanket
Superman

A lot of people underestimate him because of the whole gay thing.

Tha C-Master
Spiderman of course, it's part of who he is. Deadpool is silly, and Mxy, lol. big grin

batdude123
Originally posted by Original Smurph
Plastic Man comes to mind

Tha C-Master
Forgot about him, he would be damn near unstoppable to most Earth based heroes who didn't expect him.

Galan007
Originally posted by Tha C-Master
and Mxy, lol. big grin mxy might be portrayed as a goofy/fun character most of the time - but i wouldn't say he's underestimated by other comic characters, or among the forums. at all.

TheOneFirestorm
Shocker Get a better non lame costume, a major power upgrade, and he would be a bigger threat. Also have him willing to be a ugly miscreant without a problem.

Sonar Give him a new costume, and a stronger better looking sonic weapon. One that can destroy people's hearing, make them deaf for 5 minutes, and do many other minacious things. I could see him as being a big threat in Green Lantern (Hal Jordan) rogues gallery because Geoff Johns has a excellent talent for revamping characters.

Allankles
Toyman is a great example. There's a guy who could destroy a lot of powerful heroes, but comes of as a joke character.

Prankster is also pretty understimated, but the guy has the resources and genius to do some damage, thankfully he tends to mostly be non lethal.

Philosophía
Originally posted by Allankles
Toyman is a great example.

thumb up

psycho gundam
Originally posted by Allankles
Toyman is a great example. There's a guy who could destroy a lot of powerful heroes, but comes of as a joke character.

Prankster is also pretty understimated, but the guy has the resources and genius to do some damage, thankfully he tends to mostly be non lethal. you can't cover superman's ass here, those two are shit and they still chumped him. stick out tongue

TheOneFirestorm
Mysterio He could cause so many people to go insane by using illusions yet he's wasted as a angry man that is focused on discrediting Spider Man. Big deal with the fishbowl for a head. Look at Flash rogues. They don't have costumes that scream we're minacious miscreants but it hasn't stopped them from doing large damage.

-K-M-
Puck....end thread

Kazenji
Originally posted by TheOneFirestorm
Mysterio He could cause so many people to go insane by using illusions yet he's wasted as a angry man that is focused on discrediting Spider Man. Big deal with the fishbowl for a head. Look at Flash rogues. They don't have costumes that scream we're minacious miscreants but it hasn't stopped them from doing large damage.

Mark Miller did a decent job with him for Old Man Logan.

TheOneFirestorm
Originally posted by Kazenji
Mark Miller did a decent job with him for Old Man Logan.

I still think he needs to be used more in the description I described.

Darth Jello
Originally posted by TheOneFirestorm

You didn't read Guardian Devil, did you?
This was pretty much the theme of that story.

For those who haven't read it Mysterio gets diagnosed with terminal cancer and decides to prove that he is not a "second stringer" before he dies by ruining spider-man's life and then killing him. Unfortunately, the spider-man running around at this time is Ben Reilly and every villain has figured out that it's not the really one. So Mysterio decides to settle for a different second-stringer who has frustrated him in the past-daredevil. So he murders his inspiration and assumes his identity and then pays a then down on his luck Kingpin to tell him all about Matt Murdock.
In the ensuing plot Mysterio manages to do the following before killing himself as a tribute to Kraven:
-Secretly impregnate a young teenage girl and then murder her
-Murder an entire maternity ward save for the aforementioned girl's daughter
-Drug Daredevil and almost drive him insane, including almost convincing him to murder the child.
-Almost precipitate another confrontation between DD and Mephisto
-Convince Karen Paige that she has AIDS and infected DD.
-Hire Bullseye to kidnap the child, kill Karen Paige, severely beat DD, and murder nearly an entire church.

I'd say that since this appearance especially with the reemergence of the original together with two other Mysterios, no body is underestimating him again.

Kris Blaze
Jello, don't forget.

Daredevil was very close to committing suicide. He had the gun at his temple and was just about to pull the trigger. Mysterio also caused a serious breach in the relationship between Matt and Black Widow

Darth Jello
I agree to the first part but not the second, by Parts of a Hole and the first black widow title they were fine. In fact by the last issue of Guardian Devil they were fine.

willRules
Review of Daredevil: Guardian Devil trade

Synopsis

In the first story arc of Daredevil's current volume (dates back to 1998, I believe) DD encounters a young mother hunted by a mysterious group. The young lady claims she is a virgin and that the baby is in fact the Saviour, the second coming of Jesus as described in John's revelation. The mysterious group is led by an old man who claims the opposite, the baby is the Antichrist. DD is forced to take care of the baby, decide the baby's future, seek help from Black Widow and try to retain the sorry excuse he has left of a life that is falling apart gradually. Things only get worse when an old girlfriend of DD's returns and to complicate matters further, Matt discovers the baby is a girl! Guest stars include Dr strange, Mephisto, Spidey and some cameo appearances from other heroes!!!!

Good/Bad?
Art- Superb. This is a truly beautiful work. One of Quesada's greatest pieces. The inking also has a lovely glossy look to it.

Story- This is without a shadow of a doubt, the best Daredevil story arc I have ever read. The plot is consistently strong all the way through. Every character's dialogue is brilliant and the portrayal of the strong friendship between Matt and Black widow is beautifully highlighted by some scenes that are both serious and tainted with a humorous edge. There are some cool action scenes that don't detract from the plot, even if DD's most dangerous villain is only in one issue of the storyline, he certainly commits an act DD will never forget. The plot runs a such a great pace and the constant question over whether the baby is or isn't of any religious significance brings out some Strong themes relating to faith that are handled diplomatically and thoughtfully. The epilogue issue features a debate between Spidey and Daredevil over the point (or better put, the pointlessness) of being a hero and Spidey only makes one point, at the end, but it's brilliantly argued and leaves DD speechless. Superb, superb arc.

S.S.S?
10 = If this comic/trade/story arc were a woman, I'd probably sleep with it.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.