Disney to buy Marvel Comics for $ 4 Billions

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Darth Vicious
CNN Article
NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- The Walt Disney Co. announced Monday that it has agreed to purchase comic book and action hero company Marvel Entertainment for about $4 billion.

http://money.cnn.com/2009/08/31/news/companies/disney_marvel/index.htm

Any thoughts on this?

HueyFreeman
wtf

ExodusCloak
It might actually end up being for the better.

WhoopeeDee
BWAHAHAHAHAhahahahahawhawahawhaw!!!!! laughing out loud

I can see it now...

"What if? Goofy saved Silver Surfer from Galactus"

Meet the X-toons!

The Scarlett Cinderella! Oh, wait...

MAKE MINE MICKEY!!!!!

LMAO!!!!!

roughrider
But Marvel has a big deal going with Paramount Pictures now. How would this work?
$4 billion - that's a lot more than the $50 million New World Pictures(now defunct) spent in 1987 to buy Marvel. Didn't end up doing marvel any good.

batdude123
Wow

Darth Jello
Awful. Disney has always had an agenda and stringent editorial control over their print and animated media. They hate personality in characters, hate funny drawings, and only approve of safe humor. Look for a lot of fired artists and writers and probably a cancellation of Daredevil and Captain America, not to mention a flood of X and Wolverine books (because that's what sells) if this goes through. Plus, I gotta be against this on the grounds that I generally am opposed to media consolidation.

WhoopeeDee
Wait..wait..wait! I got one more...

"Who framed Wolverine!?"

"Snow White and seven pucks"

AWHOHOHOHOHO!!!! This is just awesome!

One more...

"Spiderman and the Pirates of the Caribean: One More Day"

laughing out loud laughing out loud laughing out loud

Bouboumaster
Disney now must fire Loeb, and gives more titles to Pak and Millar.

HueyFreeman
Originally posted by Bouboumaster
Disney now must fire Loeb, and gives more titles to Pak and Millar. Loeb sells like hotcakes, they might replace joe q with him. lol

Phantom Zone
April Fools.........oh. no expression

Kris Blaze
Never buying a ****ing Marvel comic again no expression

If this happens, the Runaways will probably become huge with the young crowd.

The Nuul
WTF?

Darth Jello
The X-Men will be de-aged and go back to high school where they will have problems related to product placement and will go to see Miley Cyrus concerts.

The main book they will advertise is an adventure series starring Howard the Duck, Tippy-Toe, and a resurrected Monkey Joe where they travel the world in search of treasure and adventure. Donald Duck, Scrooge MacDuck, and Huey, Dewey, and Louie will be added to the series and Howard's personality will be retooled to more closely match Mallard Fillmore.

Trackz
probably for the best, maybe now marvel will be able to sustain more series

WhoopeeDee
Hahaha!!! They just keep coming...

I can picture it now....Hannah Montana comic books with the Marvel logo...BWAHAHAHA!!!!

Or...The Jonas Brothers singing the Spiderman Theme:

"Spiderman, Spiderman,
(yeah-yeah-yeah)
Does whatever a spider can
(baby-baby-baby)
Spins a web, any size,
Ohh-ohhohhooh
Catches thieves just like flies
Look Out!
Here comes the Spiderman.
He wants to wear my friendship ring"

HAHAHAHA!!! Ouch my stomach!

Phantom Zone
You know something the sheer horror hasnt actually sunk in. Disney cant buy Marvel......you just cant. Its like selling your own children. I mean wtf are Disney going to do with Marvel characters?

Serioulsy if this gets out of hand I would drop Marvel for real.

Wait there not buying marvel characters but Marvel itself? What......the....@&*£

Kris Blaze
WD, you're like one of those loonies singing when the flaming meteors of death approach earth.

This is going to be ESPECIALLY rough on Punisher fans.

Phantom Zone
Originally posted by Kris Blaze
WD, you're like one of those loonies singing when the flaming meteors of death approach earth.

This is going to be ESPECIALLY rough on Punisher fans.

What Punisher fans?

Philosophía
Originally posted by batdude123
Wow

Naija boy
Just saw this on CNN this morning. This is pretty sad

Creshosk

This is going to be ESPECIALLY rough on Punisher fans. speaking of flaming Meteors of death...

The Movie armageddon
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e387/mbet10/armegeddon.jpg
was distributed by touchstone pictures. Disney's "more mature" film company. They also distributed Con Air and Dark Water(2005). And they realsed the 2008 video game of Turok the dinosaur hunter.

Phantom Zone
Originally posted by Naija boy
Just saw this on CNN this morning. This is pretty sad

So this is really happening? Shit its like somebody just died.

Darth Jello
They also passed on distributing Dogma back when Kevin Smith had a deal with Miramax.

manjaro
i think this might be an ok thing...remeber that disney has different departments to handle diff material. miramax is their R rated dept. i dont think they plan to remove personnel

Creshosk
Originally posted by manjaro
i think this might be an ok thing...remeber that disney has different departments to handle diff material. miramax is their R rated dept. i dont think they plan to remove personnel Yeah that's what I was going to mention next. Films like reservoir dogs and gangs of new york and kill bill.

Then I was going to go into Hollywood pictures with The Rock.

WhoopeeDee
http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/3554/mickeyhpi.jpg

xJLxKing
http://comics.ign.com/articles/101/1019830p1.html
Yup, Marvel was bought!!!! Is this the end of marvel as we know it? I feel like marvel will start to go downhill from now on.

Creshosk
Originally posted by xJLxKing
http://comics.ign.com/articles/101/1019830p1.html
Yup, Marvel was bought!!!! Is this the end of marvel as we know it? I feel like marvel will start to go downhill from now on. Why?

Pulp Fiction
Kill Bill
Reservoir Dogs
Gangs of New York
Armageddon
The Rock
Con Air
Dark Water

None of them are cutesy wootsey pieces.

Besides, Marvels BEEN going downhill since at least Joe Q took the reigns.

Darth Jello
Nobody opposes this at least on the grounds that media consolidation is wrong?

Accel
Can't say I see what the problem is. From what I gather, Marvel's going to be exactly the same except now they have the financial backing of one of the most powerful corporations in the world. Marvel's been successful on their own just fine for years now, so I don't see why Disney would try to change any thing.

And now the chances of Deadpool appearing in the Kingdom Hearts game have risen significantly. Seems like a Win/Win all around.

xJLxKing
Originally posted by Creshosk
Why?

Pulp Fiction
Kill Bill
Reservoir Dogs
Gangs of New York
Armageddon
The Rock
Con Air
Dark Water

None of them are cutesy wootsey pieces.

Besides, Marvels BEEN going downhill since at least Joe Q took the reigns.
The thing is, Disney have over 5000 of Marvel's character. They can use them in anyway they want them to. That means, they can include them in any of their media to try and gain more money. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if they make a kids cartoon for only age 10 and below using marvels character. Any ways, only time will tell.

batdude123
It looks like Mickey Mouse is going to be the new TOAA.

Accel
The thing is, Disney have over 5000 of Marvel's character. They can use them in anyway they want them to. That means, they can include them in any of their media to try and gain more money. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if they make a kids cartoon for only age 10 and below using marvels character. Any ways, only time will tell.
It's already been done.
http://www.cartoonnetwork.com/tv_shows/superherosquad/

xJLxKing
Originally posted by Accel
It's already been done.
Holy mother of all that is pury and good. What the heck is that?huh What the f**k?

Creshosk

How is that different from now?

http://www.toyglobe.com/SpidermanPreschoolFV.php

Creshosk
Holy mother of all that is pury and good. What the heck is that?huh What the f**k? That would be marvel doing what you're afraid that disney will do.

In case you didn't know they do have lines of products aimed at younger audiences.

Why not? They make more money that way.

Darth Jello
They were responsible for Muppet Babies, weren't they?

Creshosk
Originally posted by Darth Jello
They were responsible for Muppet Babies, weren't they? You're right. Marvel and Jim Henson made the Muppet Babies. it ran on CBS until Henson's children sold the Muppet rights to Disney. Then it ran on ABC.

Philosophía

I'm most likely not going to be here in a few years (who am I kidding ?) but it would be hilarious to see Mr Master make sense of some of the 'feats' that will be pulled in various crossover and revise his 'Cosmic hierarchy'.

Eman5805
My major beef is that Disney is trying monopolize the media. They've been trying to sell serious comic books for a while with no success, now people won't have a choice unless they drop Marvel all together. And I don't see that happening.

I want to think they only own them in principle and won't change much, but my gut won't let me.

Darth Jello
I will admit that a punisher/uncle scrooge crossover would be the shit.

Creshosk
Originally posted by Eman5805
My major beef is that Disney is trying monopolize the media. They've been trying to sell serious comic books for a while with no success, now people won't have a choice unless they drop Marvel all together. And I don't see that happening.

I want to think they only own them in principle and won't change much, but my gut won't let me. I don't see you lobbing the same thing against Time Warner.

This move may actually help prevent a monopolization

If you want I could list the Time Warner properties and its business alliances.

Creshosk
Originally posted by Darth Jello
I will admit that a punisher/uncle scrooge crossover would be the shit. Sure, why not? There was a punisher/archie crossover twice.

Original Smurph
Originally posted by Accel
Can't say I see what the problem is. From what I gather, Marvel's going to be exactly the same except now they have the financial backing of one of the most powerful corporations in the world. Marvel's been successful on their own just fine for years now, so I don't see why Disney would try to change any thing.

And now the chances of Deadpool appearing in the Kingdom Hearts game have risen significantly. Seems like a Win/Win all around. thumb up

Kris Blaze
Kingdom Hearts facepalm

Creshosk
Kingdom Hearts facepalm

hwQfgrjS_GU

leonidas
i don't see any reason at all to assume marvel will be going 'downhill' because of this. the article states disney has been trying to find something to hit the 'boy' demographic, an area they've always had problems with. i don't get a sense that sweeping changes will be made. in fact, if they did, it would seem to be contrary to the REASON they purchased marvel in the forst place.

one of the bigwig's even joked: ""Spider-Man will appear in 'A Bug's Life' sequel," joked Barclays Capital analyst Anthony DiClemente."

meh. big to-do about nothing, imo. at least for the moment.

Darth Jello
I remember one of Kevin Smith's Clerks comics always had a comic somewhere in the background that had Scrooge firing off uzis. Awesome.

leonidas
Originally posted by roughrider
But Marvel has a big deal going with Paramount Pictures now. How would this work?

hope you actually read the article since you wrote this, since the answer was right in the article . . .

gobstakid777
Bambi vs Thanos
place your bets!

Alpha Centauri
Hey, WD! Maybe now Marvel will start distributing things on your maturity level, if this thread is any indication.

Your die-hard grudge against Marvel is actually pathetic.

Anyway, this is more shocking than anything, but ultimately I seriously cannot see Disney changing the products of a company that has been doing fine for seven decades.

It'll probably just be boardroom stuff.

-AC

chomperx9
seriously if disney buys marvel the story lines are gonna be BS. they are gonna lose alot of subs and comicfanboys that love marvel cause every storyline is gonna be childish because disney likes to keep things nice and appropriate for all ages. no more blood on wolverines claws for example or deadpool swearing or anything they find imature that you see in the comics today disney wont approve of it for sure.

Kris Blaze
$4 billion - that's a lot more than the $50 million New World Pictures(now defunct) spent in 1987 to buy Marvel. Didn't end up doing marvel any good.

"But Marvel still holds deals with Paramount, Sony and Fox for future movies, including several more Spider-Man films. Marvel chairman Morton Handel estimated that the company has about five more films with Paramount and intends to honor the current contracts it has with other movie studios, even if the Disney deal is inked before the contracts expire.

Marvel pays Paramount, the comic book company's primary movie distributor, between $20 million and $60 million per movie in distribution fees, according to Barton Crockett, analyst at Lazard Capital Markets.

Crockett said Disney would likely become the sole distributor of Marvel's movies in the future, giving it a "full plate" of movie releases, including Pixar, Marvel and its own films"

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by chomperx9
seriously if disney buys marvel the story lines are gonna be BS. they are gonna lose alot of subs and comicfanboys that love marvel cause every storyline is gonna be childish because disney likes to keep things nice and appropriate for all ages. no more blood on wolverines claws for example or deadpool swearing or anything they find imature that you see in the comics today disney wont approve of it for sure.

Seriously doubt that.

SERIOUSLY.

-AC

Creshosk
seriously if disney buys marvel the story lines are gonna be BS. they are gonna lose alot of subs and comicfanboys that love marvel cause every storyline is gonna be childish because disney likes to keep things nice and appropriate for all ages. no more blood on wolverines claws for example or deadpool swearing or anything they find imature that you see in the comics today disney wont approve of it for sure. Which is why Disney distributed things like kill bill, pulp fiction and reservoir dogs. Right? Or the rock and Armageddon? Or Dark Water?

Because those are all nice and kid friendly. Just the way Disney likes it.

chomperx9
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
Seriously doubt that.

SERIOUSLY.

-AC so disney will make things better your saying ?

Blanket
"1st its marvel anime. now disney wants to buy marvel and turn every character into a pu$$y. and what i mean by that is the stories in the comics arent gonna have as much drama and violence no blood for example deadpool cutting off someones head or wolverine swearing cause disney would want to keep it nice and appropriate for all children. stan lee needs to think this over"

Resume from closed thread. smile

Creshosk
Originally posted by Blanket
"1st its marvel anime. now disney wants to buy marvel and turn every character into a pu$$y. and what i mean by that is the stories in the comics arent gonna have as much drama and violence no blood for example deadpool cutting off someones head or wolverine swearing cause disney would want to keep it nice and appropriate for all children. stan lee needs to think this over"

Resume from closed thread. smile facepalm

At least disney has been successful in their endevours to keep their Disney name squeaky clean.

People don't even know about the subsidiary releases.

chomperx9
Which is why Disney distributed things like kill bill, pulp fiction and reservoir dogs. Right? Or the rock and Armageddon? Or Dark Water?

Because those are all nice and kid friendly. Just the way Disney likes it. exactly thats the way disney likes to have their movies and storylines so its fun for kids and family. but if they go down that road with the marvel characters its gonna make them look bad and the comics arent gonna be as entertaining anymore. i hope to god they just use marvel for media and tv shows. no comicbook publishing.

chomperx9
i see no one here agrees with my point and thats fine but if you think disney is gonna do any better with the characters then how marvel is running things so far then please explain why. i posted my reason why i think its going to make them look bad post your reasons isntead of insulting back

Creshosk
exactly thats the way disney likes to have their movies and storylines so its fun for kids and family. but if they go down that road with the marvel characters its gonna make them look bad and the comics arent gonna be as entertaining anymore. i hope to god they just use marvel for media and tv shows. no comicbook publishing. facepalm

You did not just say that Tarantino and jerry bruckhiemers work was kiddy...

i see no one here agrees with my point and thats fine but if you think disney is gonna do any better with the characters then how marvel is running things so far. please explain why i posted my reason why i think its going to make them look bad post yours isntead of insulting back Read the thread.

Disney has Miramax, hollywood pictures and touchstone as subsidiaries.

That means Disney released Kill bill, reservoir dogs, pulp fiction, gangs of New York, the rock, Armageddon and dark water.

NONE of which are kiddy.

Hell, Marvel has merchandise lines aimed at preschoolers.

Kris Blaze
There probably won't be many changes to the Marvel comics themselves (I hope) but their characters might appear in other cartoons and the like.

chomperx9
facepalm

You did not just say that Tarantino and jerry bruckhiemers work was kiddy...

Read the thread.

That means Disney released Kill bill, reservoir dogs, pulp fiction, gangs of New York, the rock, Armageddon and dark water.

NONE of which are kiddy.

Hell, Marvel has merchandise lines aimed at preschoolers.

http://www.cartoonnetwork.com/tv_shows/superherosquad/ not saying 100% of there releases are childish not putting down disney. but since marvel characters are drawn and they are toons as well. disney is not gonna keep them the same as how the characters are today. they will change some stuff for sure with the characters behavior and humor. you think im putting down disney just cause i think it wont work out. im not putting down disney they are an amazing company and have done great with production with their own characters since the begining. for example would it make any since for marvel to buy micky mouse and put micky mouse in the next phoenix saga series ?

thats fine if disney buys marvel to sell 4 year old spiderman back packs and merchandise like thats not happening already. i dont have a problem with that. or they start release their own tv shows with marvel characters or release some movies. i dont have a problem with that. what bothers me is if disney buys marvel and takes over the comic book publishing thats what bothers me.

Doctor-Alvis

NONE of which are kiddy.
Hell, those are some fine comedies.

Creshosk
not saying 100% of there releases are childish not putting down disney. but since marvel characters are drawn and they are toons as well. disney is not gonna keep them the same as how the characters are today. What makes you say that?

they will change some stuff for sure with the characters behavior and humor. Duobt it.

you think im putting down disney just cause i think it wont work out. im not putting down disney they are an amazing company and have done great with production with their own characters since the begining. for example would it make any since for marvel to buy micky mouse and put micky mouse in the next phoenix saga series ?Nope. Might have him make an appearence in spider-ham the adventures of peter porker though.

http://nerdcityonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/spider-ham.jpg

thats fine if disney buys marvel to sell 4 year old spiderman back packs and merchandise like thats not happening already. i dont have a problem with that. or they start release their own tv shows with marvel characters or release some movies. i dont have a problem with that. what bothers me is if disney buys marvel and takes over the comic book publishing thats what bothers me. Why would a company buy another successful company just to change it that drastically? That makes no sense from a business standpoint.

Marvel won't have to pay paramount for the distribution. And Disney won't have to pay the licensing to distribute the animated properties.

But like I said. Disney has darker titles. So they're not aopposed to darker things.

Hell, look at kingdom hearts. That's pretty dark and violent. And yet Disney still puts their primary titles into it. At one point in time the characters are lead to think that goofy is killed

WhoopeeDee
Well, on the bright side of things..Namor and The Little Mermaid will finally be engage....hyuk, hyuk, hyuk!

Creshosk
Originally posted by WhoopeeDee
Well, on the bright side of things..Namor and The Little Mermaid will finally be engage....hyuk, hyuk, hyuk!

http://www.thememyphone.com/albums/userpics/10948/Daffy_as_The_Green_Lantern.jpg

Phantom Zone

Hell, look at kingdom hearts. That's pretty dark and violent. And yet Disney still puts their primary titles into it. At one point in time the characters are lead to think that goofy is killed

Are you for real.....you consider that dark. Your joking right?

willRules
Disney aren't gonna spend four bill unless they think Marvel are worth more than that. I highly doubt that will mean a change to the regular titles. What's most likely, if any dramatic change at all, is an increase in the variety of titles. Possibly some more kids friendly titles like the Adventure series.

ExodusCloak
Originally posted by willRules
Disney aren't gonna spend four bill unless they think Marvel are worth more than that. I highly doubt that will mean a change to the regular titles. What's most likely, if any dramatic change at all, is an increase in the variety of titles. Possibly some more kids friendly titles like the Adventure series.

Cheaper comics?? Hopefully.

Original Smurph
Do people honestly believe that Disney would spend 4 billion dollars just to take Marvel and completely change it so that it has absolutely no identification with a huge portion of its target demographic?

Disney isn't stupid. It realizes the purpose of all of those mature comic titles, gritty characters, et al. It's not gonna have Mickey star in a serious, canon comic with Wolverine.

The major change will be that Marvel now has even more money to play with and make changes with. We'll likely see more movies and tv shows, and hopefully further advances in the comics industry itself.

Darth Vicious
I had my reservations at first but after reading some of the updates, I dont think there wont be much changes, if any. If Disney wanted to merge the characters, all they have to do is create another universe. DC already has like a trillion of them. Hopefully this means we'll see more Marvel tv animation on just one place. As of now im confident, hopefully nothing changes for the worse.

Digi
QUICK!! EVERYONE! SPECULATE WILDLY AND ASSUME AWFUL, AWFUL THINGS ABOUT THE MERGE WITHOUT ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE OF IT!! HURRY! BEFORE THE INTERNET IS FLOODED WITH IT AND IT BECOMES PASSE!

So yeah. None of us can really know anything at this point. Thanks for the info, DV, and we should all just take a 'wait and see' sort of approach. Chances are we won't even be aware of the change. it seems cooler minds are prevailing in this thread, which is good to see. But I get a chuckle out of the Chicken Little's.

Creshosk
Originally posted by Phantom Zone
Are you for real.....you consider that dark. Your joking right? Well I guess if you don't considering child sacrifice and dealing with an apocalypse that can wipe out reality to be dark...

Phantom Zone
Well I guess if you don't considering child sacrifice and dealing with an apocalypse that can wipe out reality to be dark...

Okkkkkk....you win.

Badabing
Okkkkkk....you win. Disney already said they'll discontinue the Punisher.

stick out tongue

Phantom Zone
Originally posted by Badabing
Disney already said they'll discontinue the Punisher.

stick out tongue

*middle finger*

Kris Blaze
Originally posted by Digi
Chances are we won't even be aware of the change.

Now who's speculating wildly. Disney had a reason for doing this, namely that they wanted access to Marvel's wide library of characters. To me, that spells out "We are going to do something with Marvel's characters"

Original Smurph
Now who's speculating wildly. Disney had a reason for doing this, namely that they wanted access to Marvel's wide library of characters. To me, that spells out "We are going to do something with Marvel's characters" "We are going to do something with" =/= "We are going to change".

Disney had a reason for doing this, no doubt. Obviously it's because they think they can make money via Marvel. This could just be by giving Marvel better movies and cartoons, which is Disney's forte. Doesn't mean they're going to change anything, just pump more money into Marvel's underdeveloped media.

I realize I'm speculating, but only because I don't think that it's at all clear that Disney's going to change the way things are working.

Creshosk
Okkkkkk....you win. People tend to forget about the Final fantasy part of it. Worlds are being torn apart, and seven princesses (Two of which are kids) being collected to be sacrificed so that the villain can access what he thinks will give him total power. Yes, most of what you fight are demons formed from people who've had their hearts ripped out of them, so there's not a lot of blood.

Creshosk
Originally posted by Original Smurph
"We are going to do something with" =/= "We are going to change".

Disney had a reason for doing this, no doubt. Obviously it's because they think they can make money via Marvel. This could just be by giving Marvel better movies and cartoons, which is Disney's forte. Doesn't mean they're going to change anything, just pump more money into Marvel's underdeveloped media.

I realize I'm speculating, but only because I don't think that it's at all clear that Disney's going to change the way things are working. From a business point, they have to think they can get back more than the 4billion they spent. Otherwise they wouldn't do it.

That's not speculation.

It also wouldn't make sense to make drastic changes to something you know is successful. "If it aint broke why fix it?"

What you're saying makes sense. It'd take alot of time and effort and resources to do drastic alterations like that.

Kris Blaze
Originally posted by Original Smurph
"We are going to do something with" =/= "We are going to change".

I realize I'm speculating, but only because I don't think that it's at all clear that Disney's going to change the way things are working.

Yeah. In all fairness, we're all speculating at this point. But there are of course reasonable assumptions and "better movies and cartoons" does not seem like something that's very likely to happen. I can't imagine any kind of cartoon that Disney has created or helped create which has been aimed at any kind of mature audience.

WhoopeeDee
Soooo....when does Microsoft announces that they're buying Image?

Deathlok
Mickey Mouse is really Red Hulk! Minnie is Red She Hulk!

Thats WHY they never told you who they were! big grin laughing rolling on floor laughing

Digi
Now who's speculating wildly. Disney had a reason for doing this, namely that they wanted access to Marvel's wide library of characters. To me, that spells out "We are going to do something with Marvel's characters"

Please read my post.

None of us can really know anything at this point. Thanks for the info, DV, and we should all just take a 'wait and see' sort of approach. Chances are we won't even be aware of the change. it seems cooler minds are prevailing in this thread, which is good to see. But I get a chuckle out of the Chicken Little's.

"Chances are" means that I feel it's probable, but when I preface it with "none of us can know anything" it's clear that I'm not making predictions. You can't remove a line from its context without losing meaning.

And it might just be that they are doing it for money, not to make changes. Speculation again, true. But I'm not pretending otherwise. In any case, the move certainly doesn't "spell out" anything, as you seem to suggest.

Phantom Zone
QUICK!! EVERYONE! SPECULATE WILDLY AND ASSUME AWFUL, AWFUL THINGS ABOUT THE MERGE WITHOUT ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE OF IT!! HURRY! BEFORE THE INTERNET IS FLOODED WITH IT AND IT BECOMES PASSE!

So yeah. None of us can really know anything at this point. Thanks for the info, DV, and we should all just take a 'wait and see' sort of approach. Chances are we won't even be aware of the change. it seems cooler minds are prevailing in this thread, which is good to see. But I get a chuckle out of the Chicken Little's.

YEAH WELL WE FEEL LIKE SPECULATING WILDLY........YOU GOT A PROBLEM WITH THAT?????!!!! no expression

stick out tongue

Kris Blaze
Please read my post.

Yes, I read your post and raised your speculation with one of my own. There's nothing wrong with posting reasons why I think that your speculation is less likely than mind. Like 90% of the stuff on this forum is speculation, and I don't think there's anything wrong with it in this thread. mmm

Disney's trying to buy up Marvel, this calls for a gathering of ideas. Allow the wise and avid comicbook readers post what they think is going to happen.

WhoopeeDee
If this was 1995...yeah, I can make sense of this deal. I just don't see the point of this (aside from making money) and also we all know what Disney can do to Comic Book Characters:

dAHj3IsSuT0

Cool movie and all...but I just prefer Chester Gould sinister and morbid writing of the villains.

Symmetric Chaos
Very surprising but frankly I think Disney is too smart to try making Marvel into kids stuff.

Phantom Zone
If this was 1995...yeah, I can make sense of this deal. I just don't see the point of this (aside from making money) and also we all know what Disney can do to Comic Book Characters:

dAHj3IsSuT0

Cool movie and all...but I just prefer Chester Gould sinister and morbid writing of the villains.

That film sucked.

chomperx9
What makes you say that?

Duobt it.

Nope. Might have him make an appearence in spider-ham the adventures of peter porker though.

http://nerdcityonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/spider-ham.jpg

Why would a company buy another successful company just to change it that drastically? That makes no sense from a business standpoint.

Marvel won't have to pay paramount for the distribution. And Disney won't have to pay the licensing to distribute the animated properties.

But like I said. Disney has darker titles. So they're not aopposed to darker things.

Hell, look at kingdom hearts. That's pretty dark and violent. And yet Disney still puts their primary titles into it. At one point in time the characters are lead to think that goofy is killed i see what your saying and yeah i saw that spiderman comicbook and that was a one shot deal thingy thats not how they do the characters every day in the long run series. i know theres that marvel mini series and stuff and yeah i liked them they were entertaining and stuff but those were one shot series books. and im afraid if disney takes over the comicbook publishing from buying marvel they are gonna make there comic book series's storylines different and with different art detail as well. yeah will probably sell good for kids and stuff but wont be the same for the people who have been reading comics for years.

disney already has some marvel animation shows on there channels and thers nothing wrong with that. and nothing wrong with disney releasing their own marvel tv series or movies. its just i can tell right off the back if they go into releasing comicbook series's they are gonna change the storyline with the characters and stuff unless they use the same writers from marvel today. i know its a little hard for you to understand you just think im putting down disney and im not i just think companies should stick to their own characters. and yeah ive seen some marvel disney crossovers before but like i said those are never permenant they are one shot series and if disney takes over marvel with the comic book series they will probably throw in goofy and the rest of them in the marvel series as well and make it look childish.

WhoopeeDee
That film sucked.

Hey now! I like it!

Just that they made the villains too PG rather than the NC-17 rating which Chester wrote them.

Flattop is as evil as The Joker.

Creshosk
i see what your saying and yeah i saw that spiderman comicbook and that was a one shot deal thingyIs that why that was issue 16?

thats not how they do the characters every day in the long run series. You mean like the Superhero Squad?

http://superpouvoir.com/~marv/Marvel/Solicitations/October_2009/65_MARVEL_SUPER_HERO_SQUAD_2.jpg

i know theres that marvel mini series and stuff and yeah i liked them they were entertaining and stuff but those were one shot series books. Doesn't change the fact that Marvel has aimed some of their titles at younger audiences in the past. And they keep doing it.

and im afraid if disney takes over the comicbook publishing from buying marvel they are gonna make there comic book series's storylines different and with different art detail as well./b You got any proof of that?

yeah will probably sell good for kids and stuff but wont be the same for the people who have been reading comics for years. Which would defeat the purpose of spending 4billion on something, wouldn't it?

disney already has some marvel animation shows on there channels and thers nothing wrong with that./b] Actually they've been the primary distributor of the marvel animated titles since they purchased the rights back in the 90s.

and nothing wrong with disney releasing their own marvel tv series or movies. its just i can tell right off the back if they go into releasing comicbook series's they are gonna change the storyline with the characters and stuff unless they use the same writers from marvel today. i know its a little hard for you to understand you just think im putting down disney and im not i just think companies should stick to their own characters. and yeah ive seen some marvel disney crossovers before but like i said those are never permenant they are one shot series and if disney takes over marvel with the comic book series they will probably throw in goofy and the rest of them in the marvel series as well and make it look childish. Why would they ruin soumething they just spent 4billion on?

They saw marvel as successful. why would they drastically change that?

They're not stupid you know.

Darth Vicious
Another interesting article. #10 has a lot of possibilities.

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/090831-marvel-disney-ten-questions.html

Deathlok
Publishing companies are taking a %$#@ kicking right now. What IF?..... Disney decides to shut down production of monthly comic books? Why continue with a loss leader when they can market those characters in a more profitable manner!

Now we know what the "Dark Reign" is really all about!

I have a headache!

Deathlok
Red Hulk is Mickey! red She Hulk is Minnie! Goofy will join the Pet Avengers.

Trapped in a world he never made, Howard The Duck meets Donald Duck!

Wall E/Machine Man X-over event!

See the newest, hippy hop X-men, Hannah Montana!

Wolverine: The Hidden Agenda! --->>> Wolverine will be Declawed!

*** I bet Bowen will lose their license because they will not follow some stupid new "disney" rule!

*** maybe Disney felt threatened by Marvel at the box office. Looking down the road, they decided to buy Marvel rather than compete with them. So, will that Avengers movie still come out? I doubt it. And I thought the end of the world was not until December, 2012! WTF?

This is PROOF that God Hates us all!!!!

chomperx9
Is that why that was issue 16?

You mean like the Superhero Squad?

http://superpouvoir.com/~marv/Marvel/Solicitations/October_2009/65_MARVEL_SUPER_HERO_SQUAD_2.jpg

Doesn't change the fact that Marvel has aimed some of their titles at younger audiences in the past. And they keep doing it.

You got any proof of that?

Which would defeat the purpose of spending 4billion on something, wouldn't it?

Actually they've been the primary distributor of the marvel animated titles since they purchased the rights back in the 90s.

Why would they ruin soumething they just spent 4billion on?

They saw marvel as successful. why would they drastically change that?

They're not stupid you know. for them it wont be ruining they would probably make alot off of marvel for sure for all the children and stuff. its just gonna ruin things some for the comicfanboys like us that have stuck and have been used to the storylines from the begining. for the kids or newbies starting off reading marvel wont be a huge deal for them.

and no i dont have any proof of what i said of what disney will do with the characters. thats just my guess. like do you have any proof disney will make things any better ? NO thats just your opinion on it.

and yeah i saw the #16 it was still a one shot series.

Deathlok
GOD HATES US ALL!!!!!!

kgkg
Originally posted by Deathlok
GOD HATES US ALL!!!!!! Except me.

Doctor-Alvis
http://www.thememyphone.com/albums/userpics/10948/Daffy_as_The_Green_Lantern.jpg
To be fair, Duck Dodgers did do a lot of cool stuff. They had Dave Mustaine in one episode and him and Megadeth saved the day by performing Back in the Day. I actually haven't seen any episodes other than that one, and I read about the Green Lantern episode, but Megadeth won me over.

Well I guess if you don't considering child sacrifice and dealing with an apocalypse that can wipe out reality to be dark...
In all honesty, wiping out reality doesn't seem dark at all. Don't get me wrong, it's a major threat, but that's like the plot of Aladdin. It's not real. But I think my version of dark may be more out there than some. Thanks to the internet.

That was a cool looking and well made Kingdom Hearts clip though.

King Kandy
Originally posted by Darth Vicious

"5) How many variant covers will the first issue of the new Hannah Montana comic series have?"

God help us all.

Creshosk
Originally posted by Doctor-Alvis
To be fair, Duck Dodgers did do a lot of cool stuff. They had Dave Mustaine in one episode and him and Megadeth saved the day by performing Back in the Day. I actually haven't seen any episodes other than that one, and I read about the Green Lantern episode, but Megadeth won me over. Nothing wrong with what I posted. just saying that its more likely for marvel to bleed into disney than for disney to bleed into marvel if warner bros and DC are any indication.

Originally posted by Doctor-Alvis
In all honesty, wiping out reality doesn't seem dark at all. Don't get me wrong, it's a major threat, but that's like the plot of Aladdin. It's not real. But I think my version of dark may be more out there than some. Thanks to the internet.

That was a cool looking and well made Kingdom Hearts clip though. That was an official trailer that I posted. *shrugs*

The Nuul
UPDATE #1: In a conference call, the companies said that the deals for movies for characters at other studios (Spider-Man, X-Men, etc.) will stay in place under the terms set by Marvel and the other studios.

UPDATE #2: John Lasseter met with Marvel last week about a possible team-up between Marvel and Pixar and got "pretty excited, pretty fast." They say there's definitely an opportunity there.

UPDATE #3: The deal with Paramount Pictures to distribute five films--"Iron Man 2," "Thor," "Captain America," "The Avengers" and "Iron Man 3"--stays in place as well, but Disney would like to self-distribute down the line. "When the time comes we'll take a closer look at it."

Galan007
a mickey mouse/donald duck crossover will fit right in with the other garbage marvel has been producing lately. thumb up

Creshosk
Originally posted by Galan007
a micky mouse/donald duck crossover will fit right in with the other garbage marvel has been producing lately. thumb up You mean Micky Mouse or donald duck right? not that Mickey mouse could be doing a crossover with just Donald duck.

Galan007
You mean Micky Mouse or donald duck right? yep.

the Darkone
Lets have wait and see approach, if Disney does what Warner Bros have been doing with Dc I think everything will be fine. I can see a kid version of spiderman, xmen, hulk etc just for kids, and the hardcore stuff for the adults. Marvel has been doing very well in the market if anything Disney has bolster Marvel ability to get better talent writers and artiest and keeping them for a long time, basically that enhanced Marvel too another level. let's give them a chance!

Creshosk
Originally posted by the Darkone
Lets have wait and see approach, if Disney does what Warner Bros have been doing with Dc I think everything will be fine. I can see a kid version of spiderman, xmen, hulk etc just for kids, Like Marvels Superhero squad.

Originally posted by the Darkone
and the hardcore stuff for the adults. Marvel has been doing very well in the market if anything Disney has bolster Marvel ability to get better talent writers and artiest and keeping them for a long time, basically that enhanced to another level. let's give them a chance! I agree.

the Darkone
I wont be surprise too see Mickey Mouse as herald of Galactus, hell even Goofy damn that's scary as I really start to think about it. On animation front Marvel will blow DC out the freaking water, and that's fact. Pixar making Galactus that would off the damn chain, you gotta think of possibilities.

willRules

Why do you think I post on KMC?

WhoopeeDee
Originally posted by willRules
Why do you think I post on KMC?

To keep me company?

embarrasment

Creshosk
To keep me company?

embarrasment Well, aside from that reason.

Alpha Centauri
so disney will make things better your saying ?

Quote where I said that. I just said I doubt what you said is true.

They'll probably not do ANYTHING to the comics.

Until they start ****ing with the characters, let's not assume they're gonna **** with the characters.

Also, since this is the main thread:

For that amount money I would think they can do whatever the hell they want.

Why do you insist on throwing logic out the window?

They CAN, but the chances are that they won't. It's make no financial, conceptual, critical or commercial sense to take a knowing shit on a company that's existed fine for 70 years.

I understand you hate Marvel to the point that your contribution here is nothing more then gleeful spite remarks, but try to wise up.

-AC

WhoopeeDee
Well, aside from that reason.

There cannot be a better reason than my magical self! 313

Creshosk
There cannot be a better reason than my magical self! 313 I didn't say "better reason" I said "aside from that reason".

WhoopeeDee
Doesn't matter...I'm still the better reason.

Anywhoo....back on topic. Have Joe Q made any announcements? comments? speeches on the deal?

Creshosk
Doesn't matter...I'm still the better reason.

Anywhoo....back on topic. Have Joe Q made any announcements? comments? speeches on the deal?

Yeah:

Digi
Disney's trying to buy up Marvel, this calls for a gathering of ideas. Allow the wise and avid comicbook readers post what they think is going to happen.

I guess I just don't see the point in raising worry before we know enough to say anything for certain. But, yes, go right ahead. It's a free forum (mostly wink ).

Deathlok
Why were there no rumors floating around the internet? Something this big would have rumors flying all over the place. I think there is more to this story!

Alas, poor MARVEL! I knew THEM, Horatio: a company
of infinite CROSS OVERS, of most excellent STORIES: they hath
borne me on their back a thousand times; and now, how
abhorred in my imagination it is! my gorge rims at
it.

THIS TRULY IS THE DAY THE MUSIC DIED!!!!!

Creshosk
Why were there no rumors floating around the internet? Something this big would have rumors flying all over the place. I think there is more to this story!

Alas, poor MARVEL! I knew THEM, Horatio: a company
of infinite CROSS OVERS, of most excellent STORIES: they hath
borne me on their back a thousand times; and now, how
abhorred in my imagination it is! my gorge rims at
it.

THIS TRULY IS THE DAY THE MUSIC DIED!!!!! facepalm

Symmetric Chaos
What effect will this have on their current movie deals? Wouldn't a sudden change in licensing require them to rewrite the contracts?

Digi
facepalm

I dunno. I personally loved the Hamlet skewering.

laughing out loud

-Pr-
Wow

anyways, i honestly think this is a good thing. having a financial backer like disney could mean more movies, more tv media etc, which if kept under the marvel banner, wouldn't be half bad.

as long as disney stick with their intention of not interfering in Marvel Studios way of doing things. we don't need them to end up like DC and WB...

Creshosk
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
What effect will this have on their current movie deals? Wouldn't a sudden change in licensing require them to rewrite the contracts? None. Disney said they're going to honor the old contracts they already had with other companies.

Symmetric Chaos
Ahhh! I see Pr's sig and it will be the future of Marvel!!!

erm, after they buy the rights to Booster Gold.

-Pr-

erm, after they buy the rights to Booster Gold.

...and harley quinn.

Creshosk

erm, after they buy the rights to Booster Gold. What do you mean future?

http://www.console-life.com/upload/Games/DS/marvel-super-hero-squad.jpg

Alpha Centauri
Exactly, Cresh.

There's already a division called Marvel Kids. Why is everyone acting like they're somehow going to trash the comics?

Until they do, people need to stop worrying.

-AC

RSSR
facepalm

An emoticon of a hand covering the face due to embarrassment or complete disbelief of idiocy at hand. Sweet! Wish a couple of other boards I frequent had it too.

RSSR
What effect will this have on their current movie deals? Wouldn't a sudden change in licensing require them to rewrite the contracts?

The previous contracts Marvel had with the other film studios were simply distribution and marketing in nature, so again, as what was pointed out on this page, Disney will honor those.

-Pr-
What do you mean future?

http://www.console-life.com/upload/Games/DS/marvel-super-hero-squad.jpg

i keep meaning to buy a few of those... mmm

chomperx9
mini marvels FTW big grin

Deathlok
Ok, I am going to BUMP this post & say I TOLD YOU SO WHEN MARVEL FOR NO GOOD REASON ( OTHER THAN SOME CORPORATE CLAP TRAP) deep sixs Punisher Max & similar type books & we never hear or see from these characters again! Marvel will start scaling back their stories for a more family friendly audience. They will cite some wider target audience marketing BS. YOU WATCH! DISNEY does not have a good history in this dept.

You are NEVER going to get a book like Howard The Duck or a talent like Steve Gerber bringing their off the wall ideas to Marvel. It is going to be a more sanitized Marvel universe.

RIP MARVEL! Now I know who is REALLY behind the "Dark Reign!"

DAMN YOU DISNEY, DAMN YOU ALL TO HELL!!!!!!

batdude123
Ok, I am going to BUMP this post & say I TOLD YOU SO WHEN MARVEL FOR NO GOOD REASON ( OTHER THAN SOME CORPORATE CLAP TRAP) deep sixs Punisher Max & similar type books & we never hear or see from these characters again! Marvel will start scaling back their stories for a more family friendly audience. They will cite some wider target audience marketing BS. YOU WATCH! DISNEY does not have a good history in this dept.

You are NEVER going to get a book like Howard The Duck or a talent like Steve Gerber bringing their off the wall ideas to Marvel. It is going to be a more sanitized Marvel universe.

RIP MARVEL! Now I know who is REALLY behind the "Dark Reign!"

DAMN YOU DISNEY, DAMN YOU ALL TO HELL!!!!!!

Disney can't create something like Howard the Duck?

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh180/porters54/016-6.jpg

chomperx9
i already reserved

http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=75153

big grin

Darth Vicious

Thats what I was thinking when I first read the news on CNN. It came out of nowhere.

Symmetric Chaos
Thats what I was thinking when I first read the news on CNN. It came out of nowhere.

Well it helps that Marvel isn't worth $4 Billion, Disney probably dropped in on Saturday and offered them the money.

Nemesis X
This is horrible! It's like Stan Lee died and Walt came in to "save the day".

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by Nemesis X
This is horrible! It's like Stan Lee died and Walt came in to "save the day".

Oh for ****'s sake.

Can people seriously stop this bullshit? It's not that bad, nothing has happened and unless something does, stop acting like someone or something has died.

Christ.

-AC

Nemesis X
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
Oh for ****'s sake.

Can people seriously stop this bullshit? It's not that bad, nothing has happened and unless something does, stop acting like someone or something has died.

Christ.

-AC

Your anger only amuses people. The more I rant, the more you complain and the more you complain, the more I lol at this.

Creshosk
Your anger only amuses people. The more I rant, the more you complain and the more you complain, the more I lol at this. Quit trolling.

HueyFreeman
I will see how it goes. Truth be known marvel has been missing the mark lately with me anyway.
Captain Britain- canceled
Ultimate Universe - destroyed by loeb
Thor - Mikes run is done and not only that, he returns everything to the status quo before he leaves.
Hulk - Terrible
Dark reign has been uneventful
Spiderman- dont really need to answer this

gobstakid777
Pluto=Living Tribunal

Nemesis X
Quit trolling.

Alpha is the one who caused the trolling so I prefer that you tell him to quit it.

outavodka
well Marvel f*ck you!!!!! you have finally kicked your own crutch from underneath you. f*ck you too loeb. Looks like me n DC are prob gona make a new bond considering i can no longer defend my fav comic universe any longer

SuperiorTech
http://a.imagehost.org/t/0493/12_2.jpg

Alpha Centauri
You're prepared to ditch Marvel for being bought by a company, despite not knowing if it'll make the slightest bit of difference?

Disney bought Pixar, did Pixar go to shit? No, they gave us Wall-E. That's what happens when Disney's billions are backing you.

Furthermore, Disney owns Miramax. Do Miramax put out kiddy films now?

There Will Be Blood, anyone?

Alpha is the one who caused the trolling so I prefer that you tell him to quit it.

I'm not trolling. I'm not doing it with intent to frustrate or annoy you, as you are to me.

I'm telling you to chill out with the over-dramatic, unnecessary reactions to what probably isn't going to be anywhere near as bad as you are making it out to be.

Grow up.

-AC

roughrider
Originally posted by leonidas
hope you actually read the article since you wrote this, since the answer was right in the article . . .

So, Marvel will honour it's curent deal with Paramount, and once it's finished it's deals with Fox & Columbia and has the rights back to certain characters, it's all Disney distribution from there...?

Is this better than DC Comics being owned by Warner Bros? It's actually hindered the number of films they have gotten out, being owned by just a single media entity.

Well, as Michael Moore and the movie 'Network' predicted, in the future there will be just one country...one company...everyone under the same thumb... evil face

Creshosk
So, Marvel will honour it's curent deal with Paramount, and once it's finished it's deals with Fox & Columbia and has the rights back to certain characters, it's all Disney distribution from there...?

Is this better than DC Comics being owned by Warner Bros? It's actually hindered the number of films they have gotten out, being owned by just a single media entity.

Well, as Michael Moore and the movie 'Network' predicted, in the future there will be just one country...one company...everyone under the same thumb... evil face Not if there are several companies like Disney and Time Warner.

Michael Moore's an idiot anyway.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>