The end is nigh, for Marvel.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Robtard
Disney to buy Marvel for $4 billion
Walt Disney Co. will purchase the comic book company behind X-Men and Spider-Man.

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- The Walt Disney Co. announced Monday that it has agreed to purchase comic book and action hero company Marvel Entertainment for about $4 billion.

The deal pairs a comic book publisher that just recently began to produce its own movies with one of the largest international media companies in the world.

"This is perfect from a strategic perspective," Disney Chief Executive Robert Iger told CNNMoney.com. "This treasure trove of over 5,000 characters offers Disney the ability to do what we do best." -end snip

http://money.cnn.com/2009/08/31/news/companies/disney_marvel/index.htm?postversion=2009083115

I smell epic doom for Marvel flicks and general Marvelry.

Walt Disney
We will have no Nazi stuff in our movies..... I the red skull, I mean Walt Disney say so!!

Robtard
Originally posted by Walt Disney
We will have no Nazi stuff in our movies..... I the red skull, I mean Walt Disney say so!!

You'll also turn the Punisher into some pacifist and the Hulk will go Emo on us, **** you, Walt!

Walt Disney
Originally posted by Robtard
You'll also turn the Punisher into some pacifist and the Hulk will go Emo on us, **** you, Walt!

When the Punisher kills Bambi's mother, he will turn his back on violence. It's that simple for Frank!

Symmetric Chaos
Oh no! Now Marvel will be reduced to mere Quentin Tarantino levels of violence.

shiv

Walt Disney
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos

I feel the need for a Mickey Mouse thread in the Vs. forum!

Robtard

How can you be so glib, sir. This is Marvel, MAR-vel.

Symmetric Chaos
How can you be so glib, sir. This is Marvel, MAR-vel.

We still have DCU.

And Image.

And Top Cow.

And manga.

And webcomics.

Robtard
^ is glib, glib I say.

I see this was already opened in the Comics section, best to end or merge. So get to it, one of you nigh-useless Mods. Chop-chop!

Alpha Centauri
Of course it's not nigh.

Why is everyone sh*tting themselves? There's a hands-off policy for one thing. Secondly, look at it like the legalisation of drugs.

If drugs became legal, people not interested in drugs wouldn't then start using. Disney fans who aren't into comics will...probably remain not into comics.

Marvel isn't some underground brand, Spider-Man is as famous or more famous than a lot of Disney characters. Marvel do fine on their own.

There's absolutely no reason for Disney to start messing with the comics, so I don't see why they would. The worst that could happen is that Marvel characters start appearing in Disney animation, but so what? Marvel already has lots of cartoons and a Marvel Kids section to its company.

Everyone needs to relax, and don't do it. Like Frankie said.

-AC

shiv
Thank God we still have DCU

Robtard
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
Of course it's not nigh.

-AC

Keep ranting AC, but you'll be the first to scream bloody rape should the Hulk suddenly develop a fondness for cuddling tanks, instead of smashing.

Alpha Centauri
Marvel already have a Kids wing of their company that has cutesy cartoons.

It has nothing to do with the comics.

If the characters I love remain untouched and uncompromised in comic form, as they always have, I really don't give a shit who buys Marvel.

-AC

Red Nemesis
Didn't DC just lose Superman?

Robtard
Originally posted by Red Nemesis

WTF? That'd be like Ford losing the F-series of trucks.

bogen
Nothing will change.
Exept Marvel characters might cameo in cartoons or something.
People have expectations, disney can't afford to mess with that.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Red Nemesis

No, they lost the rights to use the name Superboy.

RSSR
Originally posted by Walt Disney
I feel the need for a Mickey Mouse thread in the Vs. forum!

I was the first to start one, but it was immediately locked.

Nemesis X
Disney owning Marvel...We're doomed. Punisher may get toned down and the Marvel Zombies series may come to a halt. You know how Disney always aims for the child audience.

inimalist
/shrug

Marvel is all splash pages these days...

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by Nemesis X
Disney owning Marvel...We're doomed. Punisher may get toned down and the Marvel Zombies series may come to a halt. You know how Disney always aims for the child audience.

What logic is that based off?

Seriously? Actually nothing, is it? There's no reason for you to believe it.

If I recall, Disney owns Miramax. They're known for tame material, right?

-AC

bogen
What logic is that based off?

Seriously? Actually nothing, is it? There's no reason for you to believe it.

If I recall, Disney owns Miramax. They're known for tame material, right?

-AC
what he said

Red Nemesis
No, they lost the rights to use the name Superboy.
Oh. I see.

dadudemon
If the characters I love remain untouched and uncompromised in comic form, as they always have, I really don't give a shit who buys Marvel.

-AC

I an slightly concerned about this merger.

However, I feel AC's above post captures my sentiments, best.

BruceSkywalker
I guess The Punisher won't use guns now sad

The X-Men will be even more terrible... Elektra and Bulls Eye won't kill either..

gobstakid777
punisher will be so annoyed he'll actually jump out the comic book and gun down hannah montana and every other disney pop star like "Up is Down, Black is White"
that's the only good thing that could possibly come from this

RSSR
Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
I guess The Punisher won't use guns now sad

The X-Men will be even more terrible... Elektra and Bulls Eye won't kill either..

What makes more business sense to you? Keeping the status quo that Marvel Comics was currently operating under before the merger that had the company being profitable selling its wares to adult hardcore/n00b fans? Or completely altering the artistic integrity that Marvel built for itself such that it completely alienates its readership and risks losing its profit margin it once enjoyed?

gobstakid777
Originally posted by RSSR
What makes more business sense to you? Keeping the status quo that Marvel Comics was currently operating under before the merger that had the company being profitable selling its wares to adult hardcore/n00b fans? Or completely altering the artistic integrity that Marvel built for itself such that it completely alienates its readership and risks losing its profit margin it once enjoyed?

Of course.I'm only jokin.There prbly won't be any change at all.hell, it'd prbly help alot.my scenario would still be kickass though

Scythe
I don't really see anything changing other than comic books being sold at Disneyland.

Nemesis X
It's only a matter of time until Hannah Montanna makes a guest appearence in a Marvel issue and we'll all be seeing High School Musical: the superhero edition. Oh please God no...

-Pr-
It's only a matter of time until Hannah Montanna makes a guest appearence in a Marvel issue and we'll all be seeing High School Musical: the superhero edition. Oh please God no...

if you don't buy them, why do you care?

i seriously doubt spider-man is going to have her as his new sidekick...

Rogue Jedi
I'm not a comic fan, but why would Disney change it around? You know the old saying "If it aint broke, don't fix it?"

RSSR

I hope this exact scenario happens, just so it pisses you off.

gobstakid777
Originally posted by RSSR
I hope this exact scenario happens, just so it pisses you off. laughing

gobstakid777
then my scenariio will happen...

Bardock42
As far as i can see every possible change is a step in the right direction for mainstream comics.

I dont really care anyways, I only read Moon Knight

Kris Blaze
Originally posted by Rogue Jedi
I'm not a comic fan, but why would Disney change it around? You know the old saying "If it aint broke, don't fix it?"

http://i799.photobucket.com/albums/yy275/llagrok/Fun%20shit/016-6.jpg

Walt Disney
Originally posted by Bardock42
As far as i can see every possible change is a step in the right direction for mainstream comics.

Spoken like someone speaking the truth Marius old chap.

Wild Shadow
i would laugh if comic shops go under for having to compete with disney and its comic shops... late back orders for marvel comics b/c they are mostly sold in california in the amusement park or around the general area.

davisreed
Hello,
i want say on that... It's June 1977, and any day now the passage of the Keene Act will outlaw all masked vigilantes not sanctioned by the government. Rorschach has uncovered a mysterious missing person's case.

shiv
Walt Disney will never sanction anything that gritty

gobstakid777
mickey mouse is offering kids "Up is Down, Black is White" after they get off the teacup.

Bicnarok

Mindship
How bad could it possibly be...

Nemesis X
Kraven the hunter will mount the heads of the Lion King cast over his mantle. Venom will eat Donald Duck. Tony Stark will go out drinking at a bar and will go hit on all the Disney women. Punisher will commence with the killing by slaughtering all Disney villains.

Shakyamunison
It will be horrifying. Every Marvel superhero will now have a new goofy side kick. sad

jaden101
Maybe if all the people in this thread who, in the comic book section, admitted to illegally downloading the comics and not paying for them and all the other people around the world who do the same didn't steal them in the 1st place then maybe Marvel would be worth more to the point that it would have been economically unviable for Disney to buy them in the 1st place. Meaning that if you don't pay for your comics then you have no right to an opinion as to whether or not the quality drops and the content changes after the buyout.

Just a thought.

Kris Blaze
Originally posted by jaden101
Maybe if all the people in this thread who, in the comic book section, admitted to illegally downloading the comics and not paying for them and all the other people around the world who do the same didn't steal them in the 1st place then maybe Marvel would be worth more to the point that it would have been economically unviable for Disney to buy them in the 1st place. Meaning that if you don't pay for your comics then you have no right to an opinion as to whether or not the quality drops and the content changes after the buyout.

Just a thought.

Seeing as comics revenue has been around the same as TOYS (9%), even since before downloading was an option, I would suggesting shutting your mouth.

Robtard

Just a thought.

I thought 4 billion seemed a very low price considering the 5k+ characters and whatnots included.

I never illegally downloaded a comic. I'll have to look into this.

Robtard
Originally posted by Kris Blaze
Seeing as comics revenue has been around the same as TOYS (9%), even since before downloading was an option, I would suggesting shutting your mouth.

Proof?

Shakyamunison

Just a thought.

I have never illegally downloading any comics. I don't have any comics. Wait I do have a Wolverine special cover edition sitting in my safety deposit box, but I bought that one back in the 80's. wink

Wait, is Wolverine Marvel?

Omgu8mynewt
DC was bought by Warner Brothers ages ago and they're still good

I don't think Disney will change the comics or the characters, it just means they own the rights to films and theme park rides and stuff they can make big money out of

Kris Blaze
Proof?

Read it somewhere.

Nemesis X
Originally posted by Omgu8mynewt
DC was bought by Warner Brothers ages ago and they're still good

Warner has mostly made action movies while Disney has been making things like...Camp Rock and crap.

WhoopeeDee
I'm going chime here (even thought I've already given my responses in the comic book forum) The reason why certain Marvel fans aren't too happy is because of the possible changes (yes, you'd be pretty stupid to think there won't be any) that might happen to their beloved characters.

Well, speaking personally I was fed up with the changes and the direction of Marvel in the mid 90s and drop them like a bad habit. The new generation of comic book readers will eventually adapt the the changes. Whereas the hardcore fans might feel out of place.

Let's be honest...Disney? They're just as bigger A-holes as EA.

Everyone hates EA....so..yeah!

gobstakid777
Warner has mostly made action movies while Disney has been making things like...Camp Rock and crap.
They've also made such family friendly films as

Pulp Fiction
Kill Bill 1 and 2
Scary Movie 4
No Country for Old Men
There Will Be Blood
Doubt
Adventureland
Gangs of New York
Reservoir Dogs
Clerks
Chasing Amy
Dogma
Coyote Ugly
Pearl Harbor
Bad Company
Con Air
Armageddon

inimalist

Just a thought.

however, by continually producing content of a caliber so low that I would feel totally ripped off having spent $5 on it, they aren't doing much to welcome the piracy crowd back...

Nemesis X
Originally posted by gobstakid777
They've also made such family friendly films as

Pulp Fiction
Kill Bill 1 and 2
Scary Movie 4
No Country for Old Men
There Will Be Blood
Doubt
Adventureland
Gangs of New York
Reservoir Dogs
Clerks
Chasing Amy
Dogma
Coyote Ugly
Pearl Harbor
Bad Company
Con Air
Armageddon

Most of those movies aren't very family friendly and did Disney make them? No.

jaden101
Originally posted by inimalist
however, by continually producing content of a caliber so low that I would feel totally ripped off having spent $5 on it, they aren't doing much to welcome the piracy crowd back...

I wouldn't know. I don't read them anyway. Just making the point that the same people who have contributed to the financial undervaluing of Marvel due to their piracy have no right to moan when a company like Disney take them over and, if they do, make changes (which they probably wont anyway.

inimalist
I wouldn't know. I don't read them anyway. Just making the point that the same people who have contributed to the financial undervaluing of Marvel due to their piracy have no right to moan when a company like Disney take them over and, if they do, make changes (which they probably wont anyway.

oh, ok, totally with you on that smile

and ya, I think disney would be foolish to make any substantial changes.

Symmetric Chaos
I thought 4 billion seemed a very low price considering the 5k+ characters and whatnots included.

I assumed that $4 billion was more than Marvel could possibly be worth.

For example, in Japan where far more comics are sold than in the US the entire yearly market is less than $5 billion. The US market is smaller (and shrinking) with Marvel having only a part of the total market.

Symmetric Chaos
Actually I just looked it up. Marvel profits about $63 million a year (that much coming on the heels of Iron Man) and had an estimated total worth of $2 billion.

Scrooge McDuck
Actually I just looked it up. Marvel profits about $63 million a year (that much coming on the heels of Iron Man) and had an estimated total worth of $2 billion.

Yes, had Walt let me negotiate we'd have got Marvel for far less. Remember 10 years ago through mismanagement Marvel went bust!

Robtard

So you're saying that Disney didn't Jew Marvel out of anything?

gobstakid777
Most of those movies aren't very family friendly and did Disney make them? No.
I was being sarcastic bout the family friendly thing and miramax and touchstone,two subsidaries of disney made those movies, so yea

GCG
Its Rodentine

Bardock42
Originally posted by GCG
Its Rodentine

Been there done that...

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a344/bretterthantherest/DarkClaw.jpg

Yes, I know bats are not rodents, go away!!!

Darth Macabre
What I'm wondering about is if some dude in a Wolverine costume is going to be walking about with Mickey and Minnie at Disney World.

jinXed by JaNx
when i first heard about this i almost lost my shit but then i remembered that marvel hasnt really produced anything of quality over the past decade, so...,why not.

Alpha Centauri
Disney have more or less confirmed that they're not touching the comics.

Stop acting like idiots.

-AC

Scythe
Haha, batclaw, that poor bastard.

-Pr-
Originally posted by Darth Macabre
What I'm wondering about is if some dude in a Wolverine costume is going to be walking about with Mickey and Minnie at Disney World.

you'd love it, don't deny it.

Lord Shadow Z
Just by having the Disney name above Marvel, on the comics, figures, posters etc. is going to look bad for a franchise I believed was getting more serious with its artwork and stories.

AC, you say they won't interfere and that you say there is proof of that but what the point in owning a company like Marvel and not being able to make decisions? Disney, unfortunately, has a main reputation for directly making things aimed at children, Marvel has been trying to break away from that in its main oulet- the comics.

Pixar, I believe, has made several movies since Disney completely took over that I think Pixar would not have made if they did't have to. The fun went out of it for me and they are churning out faceless garbarge now to appeal to any kid high on sugar.

There is always going to be jokes about this because it is so unreal; take the game Kingdom Hearts, a merger of two entirely different universes and its still open to ridicule when you have the likes of Sephiroth with Donald Duck and Goofy. What next? Disney buy the rights to Preacher and that lovable goofball Herr Starr.

-Pr-
Originally posted by Lord Shadow Z
Just by having the Disney name above Marvel, on the comics, figures, posters etc. is going to look bad for a franchise I believed was getting more serious with its artwork and stories.

why do you think that wil happen?

Alpha Centauri

AC, you say they won't interfere and that you say there is proof of that but what the point in owning a company like Marvel and not being able to make decisions? Disney, unfortunately, has a main reputation for directly making things aimed at children, Marvel has been trying to break away from that in its main oulet- the comics.

Pixar, I believe, has made several movies since Disney completely took over that I think Pixar would not have made if they did't have to. The fun went out of it for me and they are churning out faceless garbarge now to appeal to any kid high on sugar.

There is always going to be jokes about this because it is so unreal; take the game Kingdom Hearts, a merger of two entirely different universes and its still open to ridicule when you have the likes of Sephiroth with Donald Duck and Goofy. What next? Disney buy the rights to Preacher and that lovable goofball Herr Starr.

Disney won't interfere in comics for so many reasons. The reason I believe that is because they said so, clearly, and I'm not so ignorant as to ignore that.

Since they took over Miramax they haven't interfered, same with Wall-E.

-AC

Robtard
AC = Clearly in denial.

Kris Blaze
AC = Clearly in denial.

WhoopeeDee
What next? Disney buy the rights to Preacher and that lovable goofball Herr Starr.

OMG! Don't joke about that...it would really put me on suicide note. Disney and Marvel will either live happily ever after....or just file for divorce after not having good sex.

Bardock42

Stop acting like idiots.

-AC You can't tell me what to do!!!

inimalist
lol

so, it is fairly simple

Disney is a mega super print-its-own-money-rich corporate institution, which owns the rights to child based properties that have defined every generation of kids for decades.

For that reason, almost alone, there is no relevant reason to think they would "kid-ify" Marvel, as, if they wanted to publish children's comics, they would already be in a much better position to target that market than Marvel is.

I don't really see this as a bad thing. Marvel has been appealing to the quick buck for years, with short lived series and one-shots allowing more "creative" works. Mainstream spider-man, FF, Xmen, always just markets off of derivative splash pages with a mix of the predominant 13 year old culture, and this is because Marvel needs that specific crowd (ok, maybe 13 was a bit of a jab) to buy as many of their comics as possible, because they have no other mainstream appeal, until a movie comes out.

Disney, on the other hand, has the money to invest into the company to allow more creative story writing and more broadly accessible comics as a whole. I can't see many bad outcomes to Marvel making more money, or having more money...

Robtard
On a more serious note, Disney isn't going to mess with the basics of Marvel, it offers them the audience niche they were missing, the young man. As they previously didn't have much to offer to that rather large audience; now they do, in comics, cartoons, movies and possibly some theme park tie-in.

So while you may see 'Hulk meets Goofy' or 'The Ultimate Avenger Babies', it certainly isn't going to take place of originals, it will be a separate entity.

Iron Man 2 should now have more than enough backing $$$-wise. Should be more epic than the first, as long as Disney lets the Marvel team have free-play with it (which they should).

Edit: **** you Inimalist. You beat me to the logic-post in here.

BruceSkywalker
On a more serious note, Disney isn't going to mess with the basics of Marvel, it offers them the audience niche they were missing, the young man. As they previously didn't have much to offer to that rather large audience; now they do, in comics, cartoons, movies and possibly some theme park tie-in.

So while you may see 'Hulk meets Goofy' or 'The Ultimate Avenger Babies', it certainly isn't going to take place of originals, it will be a separate entity.

Iron Man 2 should now have more than enough backing $$$-wise. Should be more epic than the first, as long as Disney lets the Marvel team have free-play with it (which they should).

Edit: **** you Inimalist. You beat me to the logic-post in here.

I agree with you Rob..

on a side note regarding Iron Man 2 there is talk that it may be filmed in 3 D

Robtard
I'll be watching the 2-D version if so.

Darth Macabre
Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
I agree with you Rob..

on a side note regarding Iron Man 2 there is talk that it may be filmed in 3 D Haven't they already done most of the production in regular "2-d"?

Symmetric Chaos
Haven't they already done most of the production in regular "2-d"?

Putting it into 3-D is post production, isn't it?

dadudemon
Putting it into 3-D is post production, isn't it?

No...well.

They film 3D with two 3D cameras. Then post production messes with stuff to make it 3D after the composite is made.

At least, that's the most common way.

However, post production can give us false 3D. It won't be as good, from what I here, as the one stereoscopically filmed.

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by Kris Blaze
Quote because he can't say anything else

Ok, based on what?

Given all that we know, all the facts and all the statements, I want to hear your opinion on why I'm wrong/in denial.

Go.

-AC

dadudemon
We do know that the marvel movies will be fine as the Paramount contract doesn't end until sometime in 2013.

What does this mean? I don't know how the structure works, but i thought most of the marvel films were Fox?

leonheartmm
****ing corporates. i wudnt care as long as they dont undermine the freedom of the writers and the published content.

Robtard
Originally posted by leonheartmm
****ing corporates. i wudnt care as long as they dont undermine the freedom of the writers and the published content.

It's actually a good thing for Marvel, they have the financial backing of an entertainment behemoth and decades of business know-how to pool from now.

leonheartmm
It's actually a good thing for Marvel, they have the financial backing of an entertainment behemoth and decades of business know-how to pool from now.

the same behemoth that tries to moderate the behaviour of miley cyrus...............................

the problem is that the disney corporation has a family oriented image to uphold and when the same old complaints from concerned parents and relegious groups keep coming in, they wud handle it very differently than marvel {where there was nuthing above the company}.

for instance, i think this cud be a serious threat to the new universal line as well as the imprints which have produced things like the eternals.

Alpha Centauri
the same behemoth that tries to moderate the behaviour of miley cyrus...............................

the problem is that the disney corporation has a family oriented image to uphold and when the same old complaints from concerned parents and relegious groups keep coming in, they wud handle it very differently than marvel {where there was nuthing above the company}.

for instance, i think this cud be a serious threat to the new universal line as well as the imprints which have produced things like the eternals.

Ok, you'll do.

Multiple statements have been released from multiple sources, including Marvel and Disney, saying that the comics won't be touched. If it ain't broke, they won't fix it, don't intend to, nothing to fix.

Will YOU be the one, since Kris has taken off, to explain to me why people insist on ignoring the facts and knee-jerk reacting?

No matter how many facts and logical arguments are put forward, people always come back to "Disney is kiddy.". So? Miramax isn't, Pixar have benefitted.

They have explicitly said they will not touch comics. So, what reason do you actually have, or does anyone have, for worrying?

Genuinely curious.

Disney won't get complaints about the comics because they're not promoting or having anything to do with the comics. Most kids don't know Miramax is owned by Disney, so they didn't say "Mum, I wanna go see Pulp Fiction.".

inimalist

Miley Cirus is the underage representative of a children's show of whom the target audience are young folk and religious parents, and I suspect some pedos.

http://www.cjr.org/resources/index.php?c=disney

maybe things from the "Disney" line, which are aimed at children. The way many of these other companies that Disney owns are run is much more about dollars than family.

For instance, ESPN?

the only threats to these lines would be bad sales

leonheartmm
Ok, you'll do.

Multiple statements have been released from multiple sources, including Marvel and Disney, saying that the comics won't be touched. If it ain't broke, they won't fix it, don't intend to, nothing to fix.

Will YOU be the one, since Kris has taken off, to explain to me why people insist on ignoring the facts and knee-jerk reacting?

No matter how many facts and logical arguments are put forward, people always come back to "Disney is kiddy.". So? Miramax isn't, Pixar have benefitted.

They have explicitly said they will not touch comics. So, what reason do you actually have, or does anyone have, for worrying?

Genuinely curious.

Disney won't get complaints about the comics because they're not promoting or having anything to do with the comics. Most kids don't know Miramax is owned by Disney, so they didn't say "Mum, I wanna go see Pulp Fiction.".

yes, but that is because no1 gives a shit about miramax outside the movies it produces any more than people make the connection between fox searchlight pictures and rupert murdoch.

this is a very public merger PARTLY because there is a long history of cencorship in comics {ask alan moore, lol} , and fans of comics are VERY concerned over the kind of corporate authority exerted over them {stan lee will attest to this} as its sumthing more personal than movies. ofcourse, u shud know that having such intimate connections to the movie rights not only gives disney carte blanche to accept or reject movie scripts based on "appropriateness" but there will be a drive by the editors {which they hire} to create more commercially viable content and compromise originality.

NEVER beleive the statements of corporates when it comes to takeovers/sales, because why wud the CEOs sell the company if it were doing just fine with the creativity and money department? disney has plans for marvel.

inimalist
disney has plans for marvel.

what?

to dump resources into a product line that will fail in a market against DC and other companies who will continue to create the content the market wants?

like, aside from super-villainy, what is it that you think Disney is going to do? They could already make more successful children's comics than marvel could

leonheartmm
reduce/eliminate political parallels concering america from the comics {hey major corporations cant be harming america's INTERESTS on their watch}. to make plots more relateable and sell worthy to a younger audience, reduce the amount of negetive/violent/mind**** situations, not stir up contreversy by encouraging the trend of increasingly positive and open portrayels of LGBT characters. etc, just over the top of my head.

Alpha Centauri
Oh stop the nonsense, Leon.

Younger audience? They aren't interested in GAINING an audience, just the money that the already existing fans of Marvel will bring them.

You say they'd make more things relatable to younger kids...

http://www.marvelkids.com

That's existed for years. What are you gonna argue now? Spider-Man bedsheets have existed for decades. Marvel have marketed to younger audiences for DECADES. They have also kept the main comics separate, as they will continue to do.

"About Us:

MarvelKids.com is the Internet hub of all things Marvel. The site is designed to entertain and educate children using Marvel’s vast library of globally renowned characters such as Spider-Man, The X-Men, Hulk, Iron Man and so many more.

From videos to games to challenges and much more kid-friendly programming, MarvelKids.com strives for responsible excellence when reaching out to its youngest fans.".

Disney are gonna force them to do what? Oh yeah, NOTHING they haven't done.

So now, let's see if you've provided any decent arguments.

yes, but that is because no1 gives a shit about miramax outside the movies it produces any more than people make the connection between fox searchlight pictures and rupert murdoch.

...and comics are still very much a cult thing. Comic CHARACTERS may be getting more famous, but people don't invest months and months of their time reading and buying comics. They'd prefer to go see Spider-Man.

That argument fails to prove why anyone should worry.

this is a very public merger PARTLY because there is a long history of cencorship in comics {ask alan moore, lol} , and fans of comics are VERY concerned over the kind of corporate authority exerted over them {stan lee will attest to this} as its sumthing more personal than movies. ofcourse, u shud know that having such intimate connections to the movie rights not only gives disney carte blanche to accept or reject movie scripts based on "appropriateness" but there will be a drive by the editors {which they hire} to create more commercially viable content and compromise originality.

Fans of comics, LOGICAL fans of comics are NOT concerned because there's nothing to be concerned ABOUT.

What about that does nobody on Earth, besides the sane, rational survivors, understand?

Stan Lee has already said that fans needn't worry about Disney interfering.

I don't give a shit about what they do to the movies, we're discussing comics, which they've said they won't get involved in.

Besides, what...like Marvel haven't produced shit movies on their own? How much worse can Disney do than Ghost Rider, Elektra, Fantastic Four or X-Men?

Exactly.

Again, THAT argument doesn't work. That's two so far.

NEVER beleive the statements of corporates when it comes to takeovers/sales, because why wud the CEOs sell the company if it were doing just fine with the creativity and money department? disney has plans for marvel.

Yeah, to promote and invest.

The comics have done fine for 70 years, comics numbers are doing very well. Go look it up. You don't buy a $4 billion dollar company with an established, dedicated fanbase of males (Which is your goal), only to drive them away by doing the EXACT wrong thing.

Disney are a mega-corporation for a reason, not because they're run by monkeys without a clue what to do.

Stop being ridiculous. None of your points work, at all.

Plans or not, I never denied that they have plans. I said, based on FACTUAL STATEMENTS FROM BOTH PARTIES, that those plans will not involve interference in existing comics.

You mentioned Miley Cyrus and how she's manipulated. Yes? She willingly gets manipulated because she let's them tell her how to make the most money. That's one of the reasons Disney won't do it to Marvel, because they are established, talented, capable and in no need of direction or compromise. They will be allowed to continue making comics as they wish, and Disney will reap the cash. That's it.

Movies? No clue. Don't care.

I'll ask you again, why do you insist on ignoring this and being worried?

-AC

inimalist
reduce/eliminate political parallels concering america from the comics {hey major corporations cant be harming america's INTERESTS on their watch}. to make plots more relateable and sell worthy to a younger audience, reduce the amount of negetive/violent/mind**** situations, not stir up contreversy by encouraging the trend of increasingly positive and open portrayels of LGBT characters. etc, just over the top of my head.

1) many of those things are general market forces in the post 9-11 market place. TV, movies, etc can all be said to have become more overtly patriotic and less questioning.

2) if the market demands these things, marvel will quickly lose money, and disney will drop them, allowing them the freedom they want again. There is no market for christian spider-man comics dude. If there was, Marvel would already be capitalizing on it.

3) Disney wants money. They didn't buy Marvel because it is some "bastion of people's liberation entertainment", they bought it because they think they can make money from it. What sells comics? tight fitting costumes and violence.

leonheartmm
^ur overly hostile.

it doesnt fail. it proves that the fanbase is more concerned with the type of pressures on the writers

i was referring to stan lee creating marvel and then being a minority shareholder. other than that, i see no refutation or discussion from you.

miley proves how much their public image matters to them. u really think they wont consider it in comics? ur argument is based in wishful thinking.

inimalist
You think that owning the rights to the X-men, or the Marvel Zombies series, is going to drive away enough money from Disney in terms of lost sales that they would sacrifice the money made from those lines in order to censor them? Or do you just think Disney is going out of its way to silence Marvel at a ridiculous financial loss?

leonheartmm
1) many of those things are general market forces in the post 9-11 market place. TV, movies, etc can all be said to have become more overtly patriotic and less questioning.

2) if the market demands these things, marvel will quickly lose money, and disney will drop them, allowing them the freedom they want again. There is no market for christian spider-man comics dude. If there was, Marvel would already be capitalizing on it.

3) Disney wants money. They didn't buy Marvel because it is some "bastion of people's liberation entertainment", they bought it because they think they can make money from it. What sells comics? tight fitting costumes and violence.

i dont remember ABC becoming more patriotic

and? the point is, demands of the market alone whudnt be able to dictate the creativity of the artist. comics have been know as a REBELLIOUS art form since the 80s and that will change when the MAN takes over.

exactly, comics right now are not JUST commercial no matter how much we want to claim it. and thats what they might become with greater corporate control. and im curious, do u think no1 will care that disney is now overseeing what many consider ANTI US interest work?

inimalist
and? the point is, demands of the market alone whudnt be able to dictate the creativity of the artist. comics have been know as a REBELLIOUS art form since the 80s and that will change when the MAN takes over.

Marvel hasn't published rebellious comics in decades, at least. Rarely do they even push the bar. The aforementioned addressing of LGBT issues, by Marvel, is rarely better than stereotypical. Ultimate Colossus is so poorly written, and the issue of his sexuality is so childishly tackled, you hardly have an argument pointing to them as pushing these issues forward. Of any "major" comic company, nobody comes close to Image for thought provoking or challenging material (also, derivative women in lowcut tops with big guns, both literally and figuratively).

Also, Marvel is a 4 billion dollar corporation, they are THE MAN dude. The market does demand what they create. Any freedom they have is TOTALLY subject to the Marvel editorial staff, who are very financially conscious. This is why you rarely get the "Silver Surfer: Requiem" or "Spider-Man: Reign", because they are more challanging and people wont buy them frequently. Secret Invasion is a testament to marvel being more interested in splash pages and groovy fight scenes to sell comics than any form of serious writing (as, imho, planet hulk, wwh, civil war, the other... and ya.... lots).

exactly, comics right now are not JUST commercial no matter how much we want to claim it. and thats what they might become with greater corporate control. and im curious, do u think no1 will care that disney is now overseeing what many consider ANTI US interest work?

lol

what is marvel publishing that is anti-US man?

"What do you think this A stands for?"

Alpha Centauri
i dont remember ABC becoming more patriotic

Stop talking out of your ass, Leon.

Seriously.

You are INSISTING this, there's no basis for it. I have proven every claim wrong that you have brought. Unless you can counter them, please just stop trying to argue fake points based on speculation and exaggeration.

As someone who reads comics, every month, I am perfectly placed to say you're chatting nonsense.

"The man".

Like Marvel are some kind of underground, indie company. They're not Dark Horse Comics, they're Marvel Entertainment Incorporated, Leon.

Oh, and as for anti-U.S. interest? I have literally no clue where you got that. That's what proved to me that you don't read comics.

-AC

leonheartmm
Stop talking out of your ass, Leon.

Seriously.

You are INSISTING this, there's no basis for it. I have proven every claim wrong that you have brought. Unless you can counter them, please just stop trying to argue fake points based on speculation and exaggeration.

As someone who reads comics, every month, I am perfectly placed to say you're chatting nonsense.

"The man".

Like Marvel are some kind of underground, indie company. They're not Dark Horse Comics, they're Marvel Entertainment Incorporated, Leon.

Oh, and as for anti-U.S. interest? I have literally no clue where you got that. That's what proved to me that you don't read comics.

-AC

r u an over acheiver?

seriously, what is with the attacks. i am giving you my oppinion, not fighting tooth and nails to convince you or refute yours. uve chosen a rather insignificant topic to come out on top on{in ur mind} and BEAT other people.

u havent even addressed any of my claims much yet proven or disproven them.

as for me not reading comics.......................... laughing laughing laughing . i doubt uve read as many comics as i have.

Alpha Centauri
r u an over acheiver?

seriously, what is with the attacks. i am giving you my oppinion, not fighting tooth and nails to convince you or refute yours. uve chosen a rather insignificant topic to come out on top on{in ur mind} and BEAT other people.

u havent even addressed any of my claims much yet proven or disproven them.

They're not opinions, they're false statements in ignorance of all facts and logical points.

Your opinion is that Disney will interfere in the comics and that Marvel aren't commercial. This is factually untrue, there's no subjectivity.

as for me not reading comics.......................... laughing laughing laughing . i doubt uve read as many comics as i have.

Yeah?

"Anti-U.S. interest.".

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u287/SoCalStatus/IronManFlag.jpg
http://blog.tmcnet.com/blog/tom-keating/images/hulk-american-flag.jpg
http://screenrant.com/images/new-captain-america3.jpg

Sounds like you pay attention.

I can see the motivational poster now.

"Marvel: Apparantly they're tur'rists now.".

I can see the Pulp Fiction-esque scene now. You walk into Marvel offices, like Jules and Vincent do to Jimmy:

Joe. Q.: Did you see a sign on my house that says 'We make Captain Al-Qaida comics.'?

You: No, but we thought, because of Disn...

Joe. Q.: DID YOU SEE A SIGN ON MY HOUSE THAT SAYS 'WE MAKE CAPTAIN AL-QAIDA COMICS.'?

You: No.

Joe Q.: D'you know why?

You: No.

Joe Q.: BECAUSE IT AIN'T THERE, BECAUSE MAKING CAPTAIN AL-QAIDA COMICS AIN'T OUR F*CKIN BUSINESS, LEON.

-AC

leonheartmm
^sigh. be that as it may{and ill take ur word for it. lol} they are still oppinions. u cud just say u dont agree. it isnt worth fighting over. i never said that marvel are not commercial, i just said that commercial interests are not the sole motivaters of the writers.

as for the interest thing. how many times has shield been portrayed as wrong or evil? how many times have relegions and politics been criticised in x men{heck even captain america partakes in that}, how many times have wars and the leadership of the US been criticised and portrayed as evil and power hungry empireish {cable deadpool, among others}. and considering that the very poster of iron man that u put up is mocked by the fact that he was WRONG in leading america in the civil war and utterly humiliated later in secret invasion.......................

in today's world where anything less than protestant/evangelical faith are often labelled heresy and anti american, disney wud come under fire for operating marvel under it. because they very nature of the mythos is a major point of disagreement among the super patriotic. {and this is a company that is already blamed fro bringing occult material to children from the conservatives}

Alpha Centauri
^sigh. be that as it may{and ill take ur word for it. lol} they are still oppinions. u cud just say u dont agree. it isnt worth fighting over. i never said that marvel are not commercial, i just said that commercial interests are not the sole motivaters of the writers.

No, you can't just say "I disagree." if it's fact. Fact is fact, undeniable truth.

Would you disagree the Earth has gravity?

^as for the interest thing. how many times has shield been portrayed as wrong or evil? how many times have relegions and politics been criticised in x men{heck even captain america partakes in that}, how many times have wars and the leadership of the US been criticised and portrayed as evil and power hungry empireish {cable deadpool, among others}. and considering that the very poster of iron man that u put up is mocked by the fact that he was WRONG in leading america in the civil war and utterly humiliated later in secret invasion.......................

in today's world where anything less than protestant/evangelical faith are often labelled heresy and anti american, disney wud come under fire for operating marvel under it. because they very nature of the mythos is a major point of disagreement among the super patriotic. {and this is a company that is already blamed fro bringing occult material to children from the conservatives}

That's not anti-U.S. interest, that's conveying multiple possible stances of the characters involved.

There's nothing anti-U.S. about that, at all.

As for the Cable & Deadpool Civil War tie-ins, EVERYONE was anti-U.S. government at that point. Even most U.S. citizens. Nobody liked Bush besides idiots. So that doesn't count.

Even then, they made the U.S. government have points to agree on.

It's precisely why Civil War divided people, because you can see both sides.

These are NOT anti-U.S. interests inherently. Comics are timeless because they constantly reflect the current world in a lot of stories. The current world was somewhat like that back then. No country is full of patriots, why would American comics be?

Furthermore, the reason Captain America disagreed with Maria Hill and S.H.I.E.L.D. is because he loves what he feels America truly means. That's why they call him "The Dream", because he's the embodiment of most of the American Dream's ideals. The irony is that he stands for an imaginary America. America has never been truly tolerant, or free.

"The Southern Baptist Convention (S.B.C.) and the American Family Association voted to boycott Disney over opposition to the latter offering domestic partnership benefits to gay employees and the ABC show Ellen, in which Ellen DeGeneres' character came out as a lesbian; Disney ignored the boycotts, which failed.".

I'm waiting for justification on your claims here.

Disney ignored anti-gay boycotts, and you're claiming they're gonna roll over for conservatives?

Do you actually have any legit points left, sir?

-AC

WhoopeeDee
I see where you coming with your comments leon and somewhat agree.

I suspect Disney expects to maximize its returns by fully exploiting the exact assets it has acquired. Now, how can Disney exploit them? The same way they been doing for years...target the Family audiences...keeping things in the PG13 or below area.

Disney focuses on the younger audience which are supported by the parents. The last time (if I recall correctly) Disney tried to attain the more adult geeky comic guys was with Gargoyles and eventually had success but it lasted for a certain period of time. But in came Toy Story and so on....

I rather remain skeptical with the purchase until I see something positively convincing...I'd hate to be a goody-good wisher spreading pro-Disney proganda as if some apparatchik for them.

Alpha Centauri
Actually the most unreal baiter on these forums.

Hopefully you won't get away with it now you're no longer a mod. You have a grudge, personal for some reason, against Marvel. We do get it.

-AC

BruceSkywalker
Haven't they already done most of the production in regular "2-d"?

yeah Iron Man 2 is now in post production, so if they do have this in 3 d then thats when they fix things..

personally i hope not

Rogue Jedi
What's the next Marvel movie due out?

dadudemon
The next movie, I think, is Avengers or Ironman 2.

THE MAN dude.

Of everything stated, this stuck out the most to me.

big grin

It's so close to my old screen name, thedudeman. big grin

Alpha Centauri
Iron Man 2, Captain America and Thor all come out before The Avengers.

Obviously.

-AC

Bardock42
****ing corporates. i wudnt care as long as they dont undermine the freedom of the writers and the published content. Yeah, writers definitely have endless freedom in Marvel and DC. Disney will screw with that. Nooooeeees.

inimalist
Originally posted by WhoopeeDee
I see where you coming with your comments leon and somewhat agree.

I suspect Disney expects to maximize its returns by fully exploiting the exact assets it has acquired. Now, how can Disney exploit them? The same way they been doing for years...target the Family audiences...keeping things in the PG13 or below area.

Disney focuses on the younger audience which are supported by the parents. The last time (if I recall correctly) Disney tried to attain the more adult geeky comic guys was with Gargoyles and eventually had success but it lasted for a certain period of time. But in came Toy Story and so on....

I rather remain skeptical with the purchase until I see something positively convincing...I'd hate to be a goody-good wisher spreading pro-Disney proganda as if some apparatchik for them.

you would argue, then, that Marvel owns better properties and has a better business set up to produce material for children under 13 than Disney does?

Disney is going to buy Marvel in order to redesign Marvel in order for it to compete, DIRECTLY, with all of Disney's other lines which target children?

Disney is going to change Marvel, a profitable company they just bought, into an unmarketable product that no longer fills the niche market it supplies now, at the expense of losing market share to the abundance of comics ready to have people's money spent on them?

Like, I don't get it, I really don't get it. Explain the logic of the Disney shareholders. Why did they buy something just to change it and lose money? Who is out there that even wants the comics you are afraid Disney is going to make?

Robtard
Look you dumb apes, Disney is in the business of making money, this is their first (and only?) priority, having said that, this is fact:

Alpha Centauri
you would argue, then, that Marvel owns better properties and has a better business set up to produce material for children under 13 than Disney does?

Disney is going to buy Marvel in order to redesign Marvel in order for it to compete, DIRECTLY, with all of Disney's other lines which target children?

Disney is going to change Marvel, a profitable company they just bought, into an unmarketable product that no longer fills the niche market it supplies now, at the expense of losing market share to the abundance of comics ready to have people's money spent on them?

Like, I don't get it, I really don't get it. Explain the logic of the Disney shareholders. Why did they buy something just to change it and lose money? Who is out there that even wants the comics you are afraid Disney is going to make?

He's just arguing because he's anti-Marvel/me.

Ignore.

-AC

jinXed by JaNx

Stop acting like idiots.

-AC

I wasn't talking about the comics.

WhoopeeDee

I would say that Marvel owns the properties that Disney is been wanting for years...which is the boy factor.

Sure! Why wouldn't they tweak with their properties. It's their property now, right? Like the automobile industry...when a corporation buys another they have a few changes or add new ones. It's a business correct? Business evolve or collapse depending on how they do business...what's Disney been known for primarily? Targeting the family entertainment.

Do kids under 13 earn their money? Not the ones I know of...do you know of any? The ones I know ask their parents to buy it for them.

How is this relevant? We're speculating here not explaining. If you can explain something you have all the answers with you. Do you have them or just speculating?

Are you saying everything is going to be fine for Disney and Marvel? If so, can I borrow you crystal ball?

Kinky Shit
Actually the most unreal baiter on these forums.

Hopefully you won't get away with it now you're no longer a mod. You have a grudge, personal for some reason, against Marvel. We do get it.

-AC

AC you will always make me laugh, SO SERIOUS. The guy was a troll as a mod, power crazed and angry, he is a troll now, powerless and angry. Nothing more, nothing less.

Alpha Centauri
Are you saying everything is going to be fine for Disney and Marvel? If so, can I borrow you crystal ball?

Why not browse the many news articles and statements that have been issued SAYING that the comics will remain untouched, and that Marvel will be left to run their business as they always have?

It's better than a crystal ball.

Why the insistance in ignoring fact?

-AC

inimalist
I would say that Marvel owns the properties that Disney is been wanting for years...which is the boy factor.

Sure! Why wouldn't they tweak with their properties. It's their property now, right? Like the automobile industry...when a corporation buys another they have a few changes or add new ones. It's a business correct? Business evolve or collapse depending on how they do business...what's Disney been known for primarily? Targeting the family entertainment.

ok, but you are arguing that they are going to change the comics in a way that they will no longer appeal to that crowd, are you not?

Do kids under 13 earn their money? Not the ones I know of...do you know of any? The ones I know ask their parents to buy it for them.

indeed. normally what the children ask them to buy, or they just give money to the kid.

like, I don't get your argument. Give me the A-B-C...

How is this relevant? We're speculating here not explaining. If you can explain something you have all the answers with you. Do you have them or just speculating?

lol, wut?

seriously man, make a good argument here. Speculate on what the shareholders of Disney were thinking when they bought Marvel, and why they would want to spend money to make something less marketable?

EDIT: and no, I'm not saying everything will be good for Marvel. Disney will be fine, but I don't think Marvel was doing very well (movies aside) in the first place. Comics these days are already "lowest-common-denominator" splash page fueled testosterone fests, aimed at satisfying the juvenile desires of the target audience. The content of the books is almost negligable. If Marvel fails, I certainly wouldn't attribute it to Disney, but rather a company plan of continuing to market only to a small and shrinking nieche market at the expense of more thought provoking material that may have more broad appeal, though would lose massive amounts of market share in the current comics market.

Bardock42

EDIT: and no, I'm not saying everything will be good for Marvel. Disney will be fine, but I don't think Marvel was doing very well (movies aside) in the first place. Comics these days are already "lowest-common-denominator" splash page fueled testosterone fests, aimed at satisfying the juvenile desires of the target audience. The content of the books is almost negligable. If Marvel fails, I certainly wouldn't attribute it to Disney, but rather a company plan of continuing to market only to a small and shrinking nieche market at the expense of more thought provoking material that may have more broad appeal, though would lose massive amounts of market share in the current comics market.

I don't know if it had more mass appeal, I think thought provoking books and movies aren't doing too well already, add to it the disgust those intellectual types have for comics, and you are probably not in for a huge market.

inimalist
I don't know if it had more mass appeal, I think thought provoking books and movies aren't doing too well already, add to it the disgust those intellectual types have for comics, and you are probably not in for a huge market.

oh, for sure, if there were a market out there for intellectual marvel comics, I'm sure they would capitalize (and their Icon imprint is ****ing awesome!)

Its a strange balance, and imho the medium suffers because it lacks mainstream appeal, and the movies are just solidifying their place in the market as slug-fests. LOL, like they way Marvel had to change the release schedule of "Old Man Logan" (which wasn't bad, the Mysterio issue I liked) because the Wolverine movie was coming out, and people were going to buy the comic, and they wanted to make sure it was the most stereotypical, derivative Wolverine story they bought, not the middle of some intriguing story that the reader would need to become more than superfluously involved in. (lol, I guess I didn't read the issue, so I don't know that for sure, but that is the impression I got from the comic book guy in my town)

Symmetric Chaos

Intellectuals don't have a problem with comics. What they don't like is traditional superheroes and big companies like Marvel and DC. "Smart" indie comics are fairly popular among (pseudo)intellectuals and no one can capitalize on it because those sort of people hate anything popular.

Bardock42
Intellectuals don't have a problem with comics. What they don't like is traditional superheroes and big companies like Marvel and DC. "Smart" indie comics are fairly popular among (pseudo)intellectuals and no one can capitalize on it because those sort of people hate anything popular. I don't know what to say to that. It's either that you started talking about intellectuals then pseudo intellectuals or that you said that the comics are popular amongst them and they hate everything popular, but something weirds me out, sorry.

Symmetric Chaos
The problem isn't with comics per-say it's with the stigma against superheroes as a storytelling device and the influence of large companies.

And no one can really capitalize on indie stuff because it's only loyal fans tend to hate mainstream stuff.

Better?

Bardock42
The problem isn't with comics per-say it's with the stigma against superheroes as a storytelling device and the influence of large companies.

And no one can really capitalize on indie stuff because it's only loyal fans tend to hate mainstream stuff.

Better? per-say....lol

I guess it is better, but I disagree. I think the whole medium is still frowned upon by many.

WhoopeeDee
ok, but you are arguing that they are going to change the comics in a way that they will no longer appeal to that crowd, are you not?

indeed. normally what the children ask them to buy, or they just give money to the kid.
like, I don't get your argument. Give me the A-B-C...

lol, wut?

seriously man, make a good argument here. Speculate on what the shareholders of Disney were thinking when they bought Marvel, and why they would want to spend money to make something less marketable?

Okay, you want me to speculate on what a Disney shareholder is thinking..give me a minute here...let me get into character:

Disney Shareholder: "Oh! Disney purchase a comic book publisher...well, add it to Pixar, Miramax, and the other things Disney bougth...I'm going back to work on my portfolio."

There you go.

Good! I'm sure glad to see you don't wear the Mickey Mouse ears.

So are movies...what was you point there? It's just another means of entertainment.

Let's get on the same level here...whether you (not you directly) agree or disagree with Disney purchase of Marvel we can't really know what will happen. So it is best to remain objective and neither set up fireworks to celebrate OR run for cover as it is a doomsday event.

You like to be supportive, I remain skeptic..what a happy world.

Alpha Centauri
You like to be supportive, I remain skeptic..what a happy world.

There's no reason TO be skeptical though, not based on all the facts we have and all the ones you DON'T have.

You WANT Marvel to be ruined by Disney because you hate Marvel.

-AC

inimalist
Good! I'm sure glad to see you don't wear the Mickey Mouse ears.

I think I've spaced on a whole part of our conversation....

dadudemon
There's no reason TO be skeptical though, not based on all the facts we have and all the ones you DON'T have.

-AC

Just curious as to where this idea came from that he hates Marvel.

WhoopeeDee, DO you really hate Marvel or is he making fun of you?

Bardock42
Originally posted by dadudemon
Just curious as to where this idea came from that he hates Marvel.

WhoopeeDee, DO you really hate Marvel or is he making fun of you? He does hate Marvel, he has stated so before. I think he's a hardcore DC follower (which, admittedly, is the superior universe)

Robtard

-AC

Which I always found very, very odd (and childish), his Hulk-hate was/is the funniest though. I remember those threads.

I don't like many a thing, I show my dislike by not buying their products; what I don't do is feverishly pray they fail. All very odd.

WhoopeeDee
Originally posted by dadudemon

WhoopeeDee, DO you really hate Marvel or is he making fun of you?

No, I don't hate Marvel.

I have no reason to hate Marvel.

As a matter of fact if you follow my posts in the Comic Book forums you could clearly see I'm FAR more critical of DC comics than Marvel. Sure, I poke some fun at Marvel but my cynical jokes are taken as hatred.

As stated many MANY times in the past I stopped following Marvel Comics since 1995. Not only because of budget issues but also because the characters have been written in a way I feel disconnected.

Since this thread has become a mud slinging contest and since I've asked the globals to please keep AC away from my distance. I'm going to set the record straight.

All 3 members known as Bardock, Robtard, and AC are in my ignore list. I have them for good reasons. So whatever they accuse me of is because they hate me.

But of course, since they're buddy-buddies with two Global Mods they get free passes around here. This is the primary reason why I quit acting as a Global Mod. I'm sick of the favoritism and the politics behind the Mod Lounge.

I have nothing further to say on this subject. I'm making very clear I do not nor want to socialize with these individuals any further. As you can see they just my head on a silver platter. Now, there lies the hatred these people proclaim exist.

dadudemon
No, I don't hate Marvel.

I have no reason to hate Marvel.

This is what I thought. I don't remember ever reading that you hated marvel, just that some things done pissed you off.

As a matter of fact if you follow my posts in the Comic Book forums you could clearly see I'm FAR more critical of DC comics than Marvel. Sure, I poke some fun at Marvel but my cynical jokes are taken as hatred.

I do read your posts, and many others. I don't post very much there, but I do read threads there, quite often. You guys keep me up to date as I never have time to buy comics and read them, these days. (I could bring them to work...but then I'm out the money...lol)

Since this thread has become a mud slinging contest and since I've asked the globals to please keep AC away from my distance. I'm going to set the record straight.

Good decision. I've read all too many conversations between you two, over the years. You are DEFINITELY not his favorite poster. lol

All 3 members known as Bardock, Robtard, and AC are in my ignore list. I have them for good reasons. So whatever they accuse me of is because they hate me.

But of course, since they're buddy-buddies with two Global Mods they get free passes around here. This is the primary reason why I quit acting as a Global Mod. I'm sick of the favoritism and the politics behind the Mod Lounge.

This is an aside, but...I don't think you should have ever stepped down. I thought you were an excellent global mod. You were well liked, except for a very few select individuals.

To be honest, I haven't actually gone out and purchased any comic book in YEARS. However, it would be absurdly faulty to think I hated DC or Marvel.

However, you don't purchase them specifically because you don't like the direction that they've taken with the comics in the last 14 years. That's different. Though, that doesn't explicitly imply that you hate them, that does directly imply a dissatisfaction with them, of sorts.

My opinion with Marvel's stories: They are hit and miss. Constantly writing and rewriting the stories and history. I don't like that too much. I really enjoyed House of M, though., and how it changed things for 616. It breathed life back into the main universe comics. I dunno...it was just fun to me.

I have nothing further to say on this subject. I'm making very clear I do not nor want to socialize with these individuals any further. As you can see they just my head on a silver platter. Now, there lies the hatred these people proclaim exist.

K. Fair enough. I assumed that what AC was doing was trolling and baiting you...as he does just about everywhere else to you on these boards. Instead of just sitting on the side lines, I figured it would be a good idea to ask you what YOU thought. It just bothers me when others are painted incorrectly by others. I think them saying that you hate Marvel does have substance to it, but I also think that it is a bit extreme to label it as "hate", more like displeasure with they way they started doing things. Hell, people all the time stop watching TV shows because of the way they change over the years, why should comics be any different?

Robtard
Man, this is biblical levels of butt-hurt right there, HILARIOUS. The guy acts like a clown and abuses his mod powers, I call him on it, he throws a vaginal fit of epic proportions.

For the record though, I don't hate the guy, I just call bullshit when I see it. His self imposed "I'm a victim, I'm a victim; they're all after me" is borderline paranoia. As is his "they're buddies with Global Mods!" rant, that's just weird. Name one Mod I have in my pocket?

His Hulk-hate (what I mentioned) is documented in here though; it's kinda funny, the irrationalism of it, it's just a fictional character. So he's also lying in calling me a liar in that regard too.

dadudemon
Man, this is biblical levels of butt-hurt right there, HILARIOUS. The guy acts like a clown and abuses his mod powers, I call him on it, he throws a vaginal fit of epic proportions.

I wouldn't say he abused his mod powers when he banned Chilmeistergen. Which is what I assume you're referring to? Despite myself likeing Chill very much as a poster, I am certainly not in denial that Chill well more tha pushed his luck. Chill should have been perma-banned long before he was by WD, even IF WD perma-banned him because he misunderstood his post. I already told WD and the world what I thought of the situation. Fact is, he made the right decision as Chill had more than used up his last bit of luck. The best mod decision in that situation was ban for 3 days, pending perma ban, and get clarification. However, a mod should only do that when the poste in question has a history of bannable offenses. If that was his first questionable post, then, yes, just a warning would have been more than enough. It wasn't. Chill had a history of mod-bashing, even if others agreed with Chill's comments. The only thing I disagreed with, on that decision, is that Chill wasn't unbanned when both Chill, and others, showed that Chill was actually being cynical to all of the douche sock-trolls, rather than criticizing the mods. Other than that, I would have done the same thing, if I were the mod. (Ban now, ask questions later, and if I was wrong in my interpretation, unban with an apology. Mistakes happen, and with repeat offenders, you don't ask questions, you temp ban, pending perma-ban.)

However, that's just my opinion on how to mod.

I still wish Chill was back here. He had very unique and interesting insight in our discussions here. He was a cool guy, too.

For the record though, I don't hate the guy, I just call bullshit when I see it. His self imposed "I'm a victim, I'm a victim; they're all after me" is borderline paranoia. As is his "they're buddies with Global Mods!" rant, that's just weird. Name one Mod I have in my pocket?

Well, to me, AC is always on WD's arse about anything and everything. This is far from the first time AC has gone after him about something. But, yes, call away short of doing bannable things.

His Hulk-hate (what I mentioned) is documented in here though; it's kinda funny, the irrationalism of it, it's just a fictional character. So he's also lying in calling me a liar in that regard too.

I know this sounds creepy, but I searched through dozens of posts of his to see if he really said he hated Marvel comics. He never did, as far as I can tell. In fact, what he just said earlier in this thread is very much runs parallel in his past posts which go back years. You gotta give him credit for sticking to his point and not backtracking.

jaden101
Deary me. This is actually massively disheartening. Some (if not most) of the people I have any respect for, on this forum, are having a flame war about the most petty and pointless shit that may have ever been posted in the GDF.

Very disappointing.

Paola
Can we go back to the end of Marvel or Mickey fighting Galactus or whoever and leave any other conversation out of this thread?

I haven't banned anyone lately and I have three or four ppl in my to-ban list and one in my perm-ban list and I don't need authorization of any global mod to do so, so stay on topic, all members should know that personal attacks are not tolerated so don't push that button again or will be the last thing you do.

Bardock42

I'm sorry if I was wrong, I didn't mean to accuse you falsely or anything, I actually thought you hated Marvel. I don't view that as a bad thing either, I really dislike a lot of Marvel, they publish some incredibly bad comics.

Actually that kinda ties in with something I wanted to say earlier, about the direction of Marvel as to more mature and deep comic published. I think that is a total misconception, probably based on the fact that violence and "darkness" of plot, as well as flashy "flavour of the week" drawings are mistaken for substance in art. Of course I am not an avid reader of Marvel comics, but the few mainstream ones I have read so far are incredibly juvenile and weak.

That's actually why I stopped reading Punisher Max. I appreciate Garth Ennis work, and I thought that the Punisher he wrote was very enjoyable and at least somewhat layered, but since he left, it seems to me that the general consensus was "Man, Garth Ennis Punisher was great, and like real deep, how do we continue that? Oh I know what, lots of lame violence and 'snappy' dialogue", sadly that's what they seem to be doing, it feels like Michael Bay is freaking writing it now...so I cancelled my subscription.

Wait, what's the topic again? Oh right, Disney owning Marvel, well, either they are not going to do anything, like they said, which is pretty likely I feel, or they are going to, and who really cares, Disney's Donald Duck comics have been vastly superior to a lot of Marvel for ages, maybe they'll actually change something for the better.

Robtard
Deary me. This is actually massively disheartening. Some (if not most) of the people I have any respect for, on this forum, are having a flame war about the most petty and pointless shit that may have ever been posted in the GDF.

Very disappointing.

Apologies, as you're 100% correct. I'll tuck my labia back in.

Robtard
Wait, what's the topic again? Oh right, Disney owning Marvel, well, either they are not going to do anything, like they said, which is pretty likely I feel, or they are going to, and who really cares, Disney's Donald Duck comics have been vastly superior to a lot of Marvel for ages, maybe they'll actually change something for the better.

If there is ever some Disney/marvel character crossover comic, it's not going to take place in the Marvel universe, they'll simply be another reality or whatnot. There's no reason for Disney to replace, when they can supplement.

Bardock42
If there is ever some Disney/marvel character crossover comic, it's not going to take place in the Marvel universe, they'll simply be another reality or whatnot. There's no reason for Disney to replace, when they can supplement.

I don't see what that has to do with what I said, but that's probably true. Though I'd hope that there won't be anything like that.

Robtard
I don't see what that has to do with what I said, but that's probably true. Though I'd hope that there won't be anything like that.

Then I misread you.

AngryManatee
Might bring some stuff into that Kingdom Hearts game.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.