Who can you Relate to

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

jalek moye
What comic Character can you most relate to and why.

It doesn't have be life style or anything more so who they are as a person and the decisions they make etc.

WhoopeeDee
Peter Parker.

I always related to his nerdy, geeky, scientific, high school life, living with a relative...etc...

But then Marvel screw up by giving him a super model girlfriend and Spidey and I went our own separate ways.

Doctor-Alvis
I can relate to Dr. Manhattan, oddly, which is why I listed him as one of my favorite characters. I don't have powers and don't experience all point in time at once but aside from that we seem to have a similar way of thinking. When I finally read Watchmen to see what all the hullaballoo was about, and also the movie was coming out, I got through the mars scene and was shocked at how familiar it all was.

I can relate to the concept of Authority as a "hero" group who butchers all their rogues. I think it's a much greater deterrent.

I can relate to Dr. Doom in that after I saw Iron Man, Dr. Doom was essentially my imaginary, idealized self that, hopefully, everyone had when they were kids. He's super smart, doesn't listen to anyone, he has an army of robots and he has a jetpack and knows magic. I didn't necessarily imagine myself as a villain though.

-Pr-
Cyclops, Colossus, and Superman.

The reasons are, tbh, far too personal to go in to.

Doctor-Alvis
Originally posted by -Pr-

It's because you have one eye and can't have sex with women without blowing them up isn't it.

jalek moye
Iron Fist, we have many of the same values and outlooks on life. Obviously he grew up way differently then me but we both are avid martial artist and I see my self as making almost all the decions he made. Also just the way he interacts with others and everything

-Pr-
Originally posted by Doctor-Alvis
It's because you have one eye and can't have sex with women without blowing them up isn't it.

partly.

Alpha Centauri
Mr. Sinister and Apocalypse.

They've got the right idea.

-AC

outavodka
Wade Wilson obviously i dont give a sh*t unless im get paid,laid,etc period!

Digi
Spider-Man. What originally interested me about him was that I saw a lot of myself in him. That's not nearly as true anymore, but it was a big reason I liked (and still like) the character.

More recently? Good question. I'll have to think about it. I do often try to think of what power set and/or character I would be best suited to being, which I suppose is similar. I oscillate between a few, but never really settle on one. A lot of my favorite characters (though not all of them) are for similar reasons though: I either see something of myself in them, or I see something in them that I would like to emulate. The short list of characters that fall into one of those two categories would include Doctor Who, Spider-Man, Alan Scott, and maybe Batman or The Doctor.

He's super smart, doesn't listen to anyone, he has an army of robots and he has a jetpack and knows magic.

Wow. Put like that, he's the awesome-est guy ever.

laughing out loud

Kero_Co
Omega of Omega:The Unknown. Specifically the latest version. Its kind of the whole outcast thing and trying to reach out while still staying true to actions based on personal obligations that some people don't understand.

willRules
I don't feel there has been a character I can relate to all that much. Spidey has been and always will be one of my favourites, don't know if that counts.

Often I prefer characters I'm nothing like. For example I like a lot of X-men stuff (preferably the older stuff). The X-men were feared and hated and had the whole race analogy going for them. I had none of those problems, but that's why I found them interesting.

One character (and I shouldn't say this, being British) I really grew to appreciate the more I read comics was Captain America (Steve Rogers). I much prefer the new Bucky Cap and I hope he stays, but that wasn't what drew me to the character. What I liked about Steve Rogers was his unwavering morality. Soooooo many characters were antiheroes when I got into comics. Sooooo many of them were shades of grey and had all kinds of problems, it was refreshing to see a character who did the right thing cos it was right.

Scythe
Spider-Man, pretty much it.

Kris Blaze
Originally posted by -Pr-

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by outavodka
Wade Wilson obviously i dont give a sh*t unless im get paid,laid,etc period!

Ironic.

Because Wade Wilson actually has a huge conscience and is very aware of his actions. He's very remorseful nowadays.

-AC

~The Wickerman~
Doomsday. Take everything that's thrown at you and just keep on fckin truckin' . At one point it was Wolverine, Sabertooth, other guys who you'd put down and they'd just get back up, but then I got into Doomsday and realized he's the epitome of getting back up. Also the insanity and self-pity of the weapon X characters grew really old really fast. I still love them but can't identify with them.

starlock
Quasar/Wendal.... his very down to earth manner,his conflicts within himself.....the questions he asked of himself and others....and to be a regular guy...who gets power and the responsibility to protect the universe....since issue #1 he was and will be my favorite.

I think thats why i love Gl's so much...but being old enough to remember when hal was the most boring bland character for a long while....it was when i found Quasar that i finally identified with a character so much.

Philosophía
Joker.

Galan007

Kris Blaze
Galactus.

willRules
Originally posted by Kris Blaze
Galactus.

You wear big gay purple hats too?

Phantom Zone
Originally posted by willRules
You wear big gay purple hats too?

Big G doesnt have big gay purple hat. mad

-Pr-
Galactus.

http://i799.photobucket.com/albums/yy275/llagrok/Fun%20shit/016-6.jpg

Philosophía
Originally posted by Galan007
freak. ermmnone

Not in the torture people/kill them for the lulz way.

Usually. ermm

Bouboumaster
Hercules, w/o the "I killed my family" part

Accel

WhoopeeDee
You had something there....you missed a good punch line.

Try again.

steverules_2
Deadpool smile

willRules

WhoopeeDee
See Will..you make it more simple.

Man! You can practically walk into a room and cure Narcolepsy.

Digi
Originally posted by Digi
Cut the spam with the off-topic pics and videos. Like any other spam, they will be edited and will warrant a warning if it becomes a repeated offense.

Kris Blaze

willRules
Sorry for the digression.

I guess the obvious answer as to which characters are relatable, are characters like Batman, Wolverine or the Punisher. They aren't relatable because many people are like them but they are relatable because many people like them. They provide that necessary escapism to cut loose and perform all the crazy badass stuff that a male teenage audience simply want to read.

Doctor-Alvis
I don't think relation works that way. I mean, character can be popular because they relate to the readers but they don't necessarily relate because they're popular. For instance, I like Sentry('s concept), but I don't relate to him at all.

Rage.Of.Olympus
I can relate to Thor. I'm tall, good looking, in incredibly shape, intelligent, and I can kick some serious ass. Of course I'm also as arrogant. biscuit

-V-
Guy Gardner/Booster Gold.

Symmetric Chaos
Galactus, no one else shares my unceasing hunger.

Also the last two Blue Beetles have had issues of similar style (though not scale) to my own.

Mindship
The Surfer.

Between weights and MA training, I can generally hold my own, but I hate fighting and will do nearly anything to avoid it. I also can't stand inhumane behavior overall (though I do enjoy monologuing and lamenting about it).

Badabing
Originally posted by -V-
Guy Gardner/Booster Gold. Just when I thought you lost your mojo you go and post something made of 100% grade A win.

I would like to say I'm like Thor and Captain Marvel (DC)...honorable, fair with unwaivering morals. Truthfully, I'm more like Bats and Hulk. Brooding, a loner and I tend to smash when I get mad! durhulk

stick out tongue

Juk3n
Longshot...some of the shit i get away with...

willRules
I don't think relation works that way. I mean, character can be popular because they relate to the readers but they don't necessarily relate because they're popular. For instance, I like Sentry('s concept), but I don't relate to him at all.

Well it could be argued, from what I was saying that they are relateable in the sense that the provide the wish fulfilment level of badassary that many won't achieve but want to yes

BUSTER1
Hulk-timid on the surface, but with a lot of rage to give.

Doctor-Alvis
Well it could be argued, from what I was saying that they are relateable in the sense that the provide the wish fulfilment level of badassary that many won't achieve but want to yes
How so? I wish I was as badass as Surfer but I have nothing in common with him. I cannot relate to him.

Blanket
I guess, it would have to be Black Adam.

Barring political power.

Originally posted by Rage.Of.Olympus
I can relate to Thor. I'm tall, good looking, in incredibly shape, intelligent, and I can kick some serious ass. Of course I'm also as arrogant. biscuit http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_jX8M1O62toM/ShbXMZBUWXI/AAAAAAAAASc/ajVIHQaSwOw/s400/interweb+tuffguy.jpg

Philosophía
I bet he fights like a girl.

willRules
How so? I wish I was as badass as Surfer but I have nothing in common with him. I cannot relate to him.

Well maybe what I'm describing isn't a relating so much as an obsessing....

.............nah, I still think it's more relating.....

Rage.Of.Olympus

tjcoady
I can relate to Marvel's Hercules, because I too sport an excellent beard.

Other than that, nah, I don't really relate to comics characters. Why would I want to read about a dude exactly like me?

Maybe Scott Pilgrim.

Philosophía
Originally posted by Rage.Of.Olympus
I'd **** your shit up, son.

I'd take 10 of you and align you all up to bite the sidewalk.

-V-

Endless Mike
The One Above All, because I'm better than everyone else Happy Dance

Philosophía
Originally posted by -V-
I'd take 10 of you and align you all up to bite the pillow.

It'd take me and a horse to kneel you and perform a bukkake.

Juntai
Originally posted by jalek moye

It doesn't have be life style or anything more so who they are as a person and the decisions they make etc. Superman.

Original Smurph
Originally posted by -V-
I'd take 10 of you and align you all up to bite the pillow. Heh

Doctor-Alvis
Well maybe what I'm describing isn't a relating so much as an obsessing....

.............nah, I still think it's more relating.....
That escapism, the "wish fulfilment level of badassary", is just that. Relating is having something in common with the character. You can relate to characters you read to escape in but that isn't necessarily always the case. It could be they just have cool stuff and do neat things.

willRules
That escapism, the "wish fulfilment level of badassary", is just that. Relating is having something in common with the character. You can relate to characters you read to escape in but that isn't necessarily always the case. It could be they just have cool stuff and do neat things.

Well I'm referring to the ones you can necessarily read to escape........

.......just to be awkward stick out tongue

Battlehammer
Originally posted by jalek moye

It doesn't have be life style or anything more so who they are as a person and the decisions they make etc.
Dum Dum Dugan. though I am a up in the air at the moment.

outavodka
i guess id havta pick Mr. Sinister and Apocalypse becuz lol...they've got the right idea aparently.

geshien
Ozymandias/The Comedian.

They're realist, but more than that, flawed.

It helps that they were written so well.

-V-
Originally posted by geshien
Ozymandias/The Comedian.

They're realist, but more than that, flawed.

It helps that they were written so well.

So...

Who'd you rape?

geshien
Originally posted by -V-
So...

Who'd you rape?

What?

You don't want it!?

willRules
Originally posted by -V-
So...

Who'd you rape?

Umm.....

Originally posted by -V-
I'd take 10 of you and align you all up to bite the pillow.

http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/1329/mfln130lr.jpg

~The Wickerman~
i guess id havta pick Mr. Sinister and Apocalypse becuz lol...they've got the right idea aparently.

You mean failing at everything? erm

outavodka
well it wasnt me who wanted them juz poking fun. but they are losers BIG TIME

~The Wickerman~
well it wasnt me who wanted them juz poking fun. but they are losers BIG TIME

It's cool dude, just joshin' . But yeah, Sinister is indeed awesome. Apocalypse is more like the guy who's a bully but is gonna end up working at a gas station when he inevitably drops out of high school.

Phantom Zone
Originally posted by ~The Wickerman~
It's cool dude, just joshin' . But yeah, Sinister is indeed awesome. Apocalypse is more like the guy who's a bully but is gonna end up working at a gas station when he inevitably drops out of high school.

laughing out loud Nice one.

Rage.Of.Olympus

willRules
laughing

Wow everyone on this thread are all such badasses.

From the safety of being nowhere near any of you, I'm pretty confident I can one shot you all blindfolded, with my hands in my mouth and playing the flute out of my jacksie.

And then I'd make all your female partners pregnant by just looking at them.

~The Wickerman~
laughing

Wow everyone on this thread are all such badasses.

From the safety of being nowhere near any of you, I'm pretty confident I can one shot you all blindfolded, with my hands in my mouth and playing the flute out of my jacksie.

And then I'd make all your female partners pregnant by just looking at them.

I change my previous statement. Willrules is the character I relate to. thumb up

Impregnation-by-stare FTW g_serious

TheOneFirestorm
Firestorm (Ronnie Raymond) and Spider Man (Peter Parker). My personality are pretty much the same as theirs.

Original Smurph
Originally posted by tjcoady
Scott Pilgrim. thumb up

For sure, but he's probably the only comic character.

Maybe Jack Knight too.

batdude123
Anybody who's omnipotent.

stormultt
squirrel girl XDD

tjcoady
Originally posted by Original Smurph
thumb up

For sure, but he's probably the only comic character.

Maybe Jack Knight too.

Jack Knight's a good one- he's hipper than most people, though.

manjaro
so im assuming that everyone who relates to spiderman spent most of your adolescent and adult life to date racked with guilt and likes to torture yourselves emotionally and mentally over things that are out of your control? thereby ruining every meaniningful relationship you've ever had and have become the guy that everyone knows better never to ever depend on cuz you're gonna break every appointment, and show up late for everything?.........awesome.

me.... i relate to Luke Cage cuz im a big 6-foot-1 black guy who shaves his head and lifts lots of weights, except i dont have a thing for tiaras and silk shirts

Allankles
I found myself relating to pre PIS-riddled-issue-10-TSR Earth 9 Supes (totally out of character for him to have recruited villains).

Honestly, if I had that much psychokinetic power, I'd probably take charge of many war torn and/or corrupt governments, while regulating all super powered people on the planet to prevent the possibility of any future super villains.

And no, he was nothing like Iron Man in civil war. Unlike Iron Man the guy actually saved the world from being incinterated and defeated all of his world's major villains.

Only after accomplishing all this, did he go about regulating super beings, arms and the world's governments.

willRules
Originally posted by manjaro
so im assuming that everyone who relates to spiderman spent most of your adolescent and adult life to date racked with guilt and likes to torture yourselves emotionally and mentally over things that are out of your control? thereby ruining every meaniningful relationship you've ever had and have become the guy that everyone knows better never to ever depend on cuz you're gonna break every appointment, and show up late for everything?.........awesome.

Hey! That's soooo me! stick out tongue

No people relate to Spider-man for numerous reasons. Superman and Spider-man are IMO two of the most important superheroes in the industry. Superman practically crated the superhero genre and Spidey practically created fully fleshed out and relatable character.

Kris Blaze
Arthur Light.

tjcoady
David Kohl.

Omgu8mynewt
I only read Xmen so I've got less characters to pick from, but my friends and boyfriend are always getting into trouble in bars and stuff, making me watch out for them so in that way Im like Kitty/Jubilee watching Wolverines back.

On the other hand, sometimes I act too fiery for my own good so Rogue but without her ability to get out of it without help happy

TheOneFirestorm
Peter Parker is written as a down to earth character so it makes it easy to relate to him. Everyone can relate to being rejected, fear of rejection, regular problems from High School. being made fun of by insecure jerks, aholes, and just about any other kind of problems that regular people encounter which Peter Parker deals with.
Just about anyone has had a baneful problem of some person doing something bad to them. Spider Man's girlfriend Gwen Stacy was killed by Green Goblin. We can all relate to rage of wanting to take revenge like Spidey after a deplorable incident. We can also relate to the struggle to let go, and move on.
It's easy to be crude, and negative but to be a positive kind and optimistic is hard. Both Ronnie Raymond, and Peter Parker are those kind of people which people can relate to.

Doctor-Alvis
blindfolded, with my hands in my mouth and playing the flute out of my jacksie
Mmm... I see you went to band camp too.

basilisk
Doom, Magneto, Darkseid w/ALE. Thanos (with IG, not HOTI).

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.