Werewolf Films

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

BigBadBundy
Werewolves are by for the most interesting as well as most badass of all monsters (this is obviously an opinion), but I am completely dissappointed in a majority of werewolf movies and/or literature, does anyone have any recomendations, or a list of movies that are worth a damn?

Kris Blaze
I liked Ginger Snaps. Dog Soldiers is pure ace.

BigBadBundy
Ace? is that ace as in the highest card, or ace as in the lowest card, cause depending on the game it could be either, and if you go by bastardized rhyming slang than ace can be ass.

MildPossession
Ginger Snaps is a favourite of mine, so another vote for it, also the sequel is worth the look too.

Dog Soldiers isn't my favourite from Neil Marshall but worth the look too.

Apart from the obvious I can't think of any other memorable ones...
most have been completely rubbish(Van Helsing, Skinwalkers and Cursed to name a few)...

BigBadBundy
Most of the time I have to suffice with barely up to par special effects and truely shit stories, I did enjoy Bad Moon based on the book Thor, the original american werewolf was good, but why needed to bring it to paris and with rancid dog like beasts was ridiculous. I'll have to check out the ginger snaps movies, i've seen about five minutes of dog soldiers and it seemed like a SciFi channel original movie that was more about how many guns the soldiers can fire, but I suppose I should watchthe whole thing before I go spouting off.

wicker_man
Dog Soldiers is my favourite werewolf flick (and it appears I'm not alone) but you can't go wrong with An American Werewolf In London (or Paris, yes I like it).

BigBadBundy
I probably would have liked American Werewolf in Paris better if it had gone by another name, I was expecting something on par with London, which story wise it wasn't. My main problem with werewolf movies is that they seem to forget about story, characters are unbelieveable, situations aren't original, there is a fantasy writer (or artist, i can't remember which or even the guys name) that says when you create deal in fantastic situations just as monsters and such, you have to be even more realisitc, because otherwise it is just a mad man rambling and it doesn't make any sense.

Wolfie
An American Werewolf in Paris couldn't have gone by another name because its story followed London too much. I enjoyed it, it was funny. I liked how it added another undead victim to the mix. His friend is trying to push him into killing the werewolf that killed him, and the woman is trying to get him killed.

I don't remember much about Bad Moon, but I remember not liking it.

Some favorites of mine:

The Howling
AWIL
Dog Soldiers
Ginger Snaps 1&2 (though seeing the prequel doesn't hurt)
Wolf (Jack Nicholson, unsung werewolf gem IMO)
The Wolf Man (see Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man and Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein while you're at it)
Underworld Trilogy
Teen Wolf (good corny '80s teen comedy, sequel sucks though)
The Monster Squad
Cursed (it's good if you've seen The Wolf Man, Wolf, AWIL, as they are referenced)

MildPossession
Referencing good films doesn't make your film good, Cursed was complete and utter rubbish, references or not...

BigBadBundy
Originally posted by MildPossession
Referencing good films doesn't make your film good, Cursed was complete and utter rubbish, references or not...

Nail, head, bam!

Ladyluck
Wolf and Dog Soldiers are my favourite werewolf movies.
Cursed was... ok. Not horrible but not that great.
Silver Bullet eek!

MildPossession
Pardon? don't tell me you liked Cursed...

Kris Blaze
Pardon? don't tell me you liked Cursed...

It means that you hit the nail on the head.

That he agrees with you.

MildPossession
Ah I see. bangin

jinXed by JaNx
The only two worth mentioning in my book are, Dog Soldiers and American Werewolf in London. I did like the Ginger Snap movies but it's very hard for me to consider them Werewolf movies. The problem with Werewolf movies is that you need a good script as well as incredible effects. It generally seems that we only get one or the other.

Blinky
If I had to pick one to recommend... "Silver Bullet".

EvilTyrant
The Werewolf series is the best, with characters like Eric Cord and Skorzeny, and the bounty hunter. I'll say what I liked and disliked about each werewolf film.
1. The Howling - Werewolves looked good and were truly evil
2. Werewolf in London - great werewolf, but not a fan of the dog like resemblence, great beginning, stay on the path.
3. Dog Soldiers - ok movie, didn't like the werewolve's look, legs to long.
4. Werewolf in Paris - liked everything except the dead ghost people.
5. Ginger Snaps - ok movie with 2 weird girls.
6. Bad Moon - awesome werewolf, horrible transformation
7. Underworld Rise of the Lycans - 2 thumbs up, no complaints.
8. Waiting on the Wolfman remake, looks good so far.

Wolfie
It doesn't. But I felt it was done well. It was to werewolf movies what Scream was to slasher movies, IMO.

STAVKA
For those of you who asked what the song was the soldiers whistled as they walked through the woods in Dog Soldiers (my absoloute fave werewolf flick)... it was 'Tom Hark' by the Piranahs. 1980, and some of us are still old enough to remember it.
For old school wolf flicks (tongue in cheek but fun) check out 'Steel wolf' and 'Silver Bullet'. Both simple howl entertainment.

Dr Mystery
Love Dog Soldiers.
Love Silver Bullet.
Wasn't really into Ginger Snaps but that's just me.
AWIL scared the hell out of me as a kid, but it kind of loses track towards the end (for me). Awesome opening though.
The Howling is pretty good.
Underworld trilogy is good no-brainer stuff.

stargun
American Werewolf in London is easy the top ww movie of all time. I like Bad Moon as well.

the ninjak
Howling 2 stick out tongue

Christopher Lee and Bewbz.

JediRouge
Howling ii: loved it as a child
AWIL: No complaints here
AWiP: Funny because of the ghosts
Cursed: was funny as hell
Dog Soldiers- It's great when they make it into the farmhouse.
My mother is a werewolf...lol
Wolf: like how he is a wolfman and not a werewolf.
MonsterQuad is also great.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.