Paranormal Activity (Sep 25, 2009)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Dr. Leg Kick
Anyone heard of this film? Apparently this is the "scariest film of all time" (must be seen in theaters).

BackFire
Yes, I've heard of it, my friend who is friends with someone who works for a production company that got a copy sent to them by the director in hopes of selling it to them has a copy. I keep bugging him to bring it over so that we can watch it.

Is it actually being released September 25, now?

Dr. Leg Kick
Originally posted by BackFire
Yes, I've heard of it, my friend who is friends with someone who works for a production company that got a copy sent to them by the director in hopes of selling it to them has a copy. I keep bugging him to bring it over so that we can watch it.

Is it actually being released September 25, now? That's what I was told, but I just checked here.

http://www.slashfilm.com/2009/09/09/paranormal-activity-finally-gets-a-release-date/

BackFire
Sweet. I hope so, I'd love to see it.

MildPossession
These sort of films freak me out easily. smile I remember watching something on television here years ago and it was all made out to be true at the time, oh this: Ghostwatch, it was really scary at the time it came out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghostwatch

MR.PIPESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS, urgh. I remember seeing a figure behind my curtains at night due to this programme lol!! I couldn't sleep.

Dr. Leg Kick
was on the front page of yahoo today. the word is getting out.

Kris Blaze
I can't find the actual movie from 2007 anywhere though D:

The Nuul
The gay part of this is that this wont prob wont be in the theaters in Canada.

You Americans can demand on where it shows though. So get your votes in.

http://eventful.com/performers/paranormal-activity-/P0-001-000212499-6/competitions/demands

MildPossession
I'm really glad I live near a few different cinemas, if some film doesn't show at the mainstream cinemas, in most cases it usually plays at the art house cinema. smile

jaden101
Looking forward to this one. As MP says, it's very much like Ghostwatch...If you haven't seen the cult UK show then give it a watch. I think the whole thing is on youtube.

It caused controversy over here because there was very little to tell people that it wasn't real (besides the intro credits saying "written by..."wink...It was also "presented" by quite a few people who, at the time, were known as children's tv presenters so parents thought it would be ok for kids to watch...turns out it wasn't. Apparently a mentally retarded boy killed himself a couple of weeks after watching it because it freaked him out so much.

The Nuul
How the fck is this out in the UK and not Canada????

Blasphemy!!!!!!! mad

BackFire
Okay guys, I just saw this. It's the real deal.

The best horror film I've seen in theaters since The Descent and one of the creepiest ones I've ever seen period.

Some parts literally gave me chills. One part in particular was so scary that the sense of chills last several seconds and someone actually ran out of the theater.

The ending was somewhat of a let down, a bit more hollywood than you'd expect, but the rest of the movie is absolute gold. Solid acting by the two no name actors, too.

This movie has been compared to Blair Witch a lot lately, and that's unfair, it's way better than Blair Witch.

Go see it asap.

MildPossession
I'm glad they have used no name actors, more realistic, unlike seeing Brad Pitt getting spooked...

Darth Vicious
Okay guys, I just saw this. It's the real deal.

The best horror film I've seen in theaters since The Descent and one of the creepiest ones I've ever seen period.

Some parts literally gave me chills. One part in particular was so scary that the sense of chills last several seconds and someone actually ran out of the theater.

The ending was somewhat of a let down, a bit more hollywood than you'd expect, but the rest of the movie is absolute gold. Solid acting by the two no name actors, too.

This movie has been compared to Blair Witch a lot lately, and that's unfair, it's way better than Blair Witch.

Go see it asap.

I read this movie was garbage but after ur review i'm curious. U usually on point with horror movies. I might check it out now.

BackFire
Definitely not garbage at all. Very scary and surprisingly well made and creative considering it was made for almost nothing.

The Nuul
I cant find this anywhere on the net or in Canada to watch it......mad

This and Moon....mad

Kris Blaze
Can't find it anywhere in Norway or on the net sad

The Nuul
Good review here.

http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/blogs/artsdesk/film/2009/10/08/reviewed-paranormal-activity/

And YESSSSSS!!!! it is playing in T.O, I have also demanded it for my city(finally).

The Nuul
So if this hits 1 mil in demands it will open up World wide. So please keep demanding.

Still shitty marketing.

The Nuul
Its done, so apparently its getting open World wide.

http://www.paranormalmovie.com/theaters.html

Oct 13th will have a list of all theaters around the World.

Micheal_Myers
I'm stoked. Though I know this movie will never hit my shitcan local cinema. Hopefully it'll be in the next town over.

jaden101
You have to demand it in your cinema.

The Nuul
Not anymore I think for its been released World wide and not just here and there.

RocasAtoll
Ya they got a million demands so it's showing nationwide.

Myth
I just got back from the movie. I was entertained by the crowd reactions, especially during the silent scenes, but was underwhelmed by the movie itself. I thought it was well done, especially considering the budget, but it felt like it was missing something. I can't even pinpoint what it was missing, but it just didn't do it for me. I would recommend people see this if they know there will be a crowd to keep it entertaining, but I think I would have been bored out of my mind if I was watching it by myself or just a couple other friends.

BackFire
Personally I felt the opposite. I thought it would have been even creepier had I been watching it by myself. The crowd being loud kinda took away from the fear factor for me, as they often do.

The Nuul
Yeah, I don't want to be distracted while watching it.

MildPossession
You need to watch this film in front of a good television, in your own home, in the dark. That would be a better atmosphere. If you are the kind, you would be wondering about your house while viewing it.

Unlike in a big cinema.

H. S. 6
Just saw it last night, and I have to say, I was impressed. I went into it expecting another mediocre horror film with all the typical cheap scares, but Paranormal Activity was actually well done, and most importantly, genuinely creepy.

Quincy
Extremely creepy movie. Probs have nightmares from watching it. Loved it's simplicity. A door moving by itself is the scariest thing to come along in hollywood in a long time - go figure.

It was intense.

torontops

That ACDC Chick
iwannaseeiwannaseeiwannasee

i love the end of the promo "Not in your area? Demand it!"

Blinky
Looks like a whole lot of cheap scares and hype. I'll wait until I can see it at the dollar movies.

Myth
Originally posted by Blinky
Looks like a whole lot of cheap scares and hype. I'll wait until I can see it at the dollar movies.

Even though I was criticizing the film earlier, I would say that it rarely used what I would consider cheap scares. Most of the scares came from suspense and were just subtle. It wasn't one of those have things jump at the camera all the time movies.

BackFire
Originally posted by Blinky

It isn't. It has some of the most effective and earned scares around.

The Nuul
I am starting to hate this pile of shit, Paramount can suck my ass with their marketing.

HueyFreeman
I am not sure I could get into a movie like this anymore. After the south park episode "the startling" I just dont take 1st person camera movies seriously anymore. I always picture the main character pulling a Randy Marsh with the camera.

xJLxKing
I loved the movies. Just watched it with three of my friends. We were all pretty shocked and kinda scared. There were a lot of people screaming, especially this particular one behind me.

HueyFreeman
I knew it. It was ok but I just can't take these movies seriously anymore. Thanks alot South Park.

Insomniatric
Damn me and my girlfriend need to go see this.

It's hilarious when she gets scared.

jinXed by JaNx
Originally posted by HueyFreeman
I am not sure I could get into a movie like this anymore. After the south park episode "the startling" I just dont take 1st person camera movies seriously anymore. I always picture the main character pulling a Randy Marsh with the camera.

Try to think of it as a documentary

quanchi112
Going to see it tonight at mid. Finally go it in my area. I'll weigh in afterwards.

The Nuul
For real this time is coming to my city.....WOOT!

jinXed by JaNx
Went to see this earlier. For an Indie movie it's well made but as a horror movie i thought it was rather boring. It's essentially a feature length episode of "A haunting" or any other horror documentary. I'd say it's worth seeing but if you're a seasoned horror fan you should probably wait for dvd. I thought there were a few genuinely creepy scenes. All of the paranormal encounters are created to seem as realistic as possible. If you've ever seen a tv show about paranormal encounters this is the type of stuff you're in store for in this movie...,doors closing, footsteps, whispers and footprints. i think the movie definitely lacked a big reveal...,one big scene that is designed to shock and stay with you. I think they tried to accomplish this with the ending but for me it felt out of place and anticlimactic.

The Nuul
Originally posted by MildPossession
You need to watch this film in front of a good television, in your own home, in the dark. That would be a better atmosphere. If you are the kind, you would be wondering about your house while viewing it.

Unlike in a big cinema.

HEHEHEHE...cant say why I am giggling like a kid at Christmas.
...but what Mild said is very true.

shifty

quanchi112
I must say after seeing the midnight show it was quite good. I loved the ending. Very creepy and the scariest movie I'd seen in quite some time.

allofyousuckkk
The movie was fun, boring at times, but definitely gave me a lasting creeped out feeling. The ending was ehhh, meant for Hollywood audiences. But it was good

quanchi112
Originally posted by allofyousuckkk
The movie was fun, boring at times, but definitely gave me a lasting creeped out feeling. The ending was ehhh, meant for Hollywood audiences. But it was good Yes, but it kept building and was overall a very good scary movie. This shows how little special effects contribute to being creeped out.

Doctor-Alvis
I watched this movie. I thought it was pretty slow at first. When the activity really picked up though I thought it was pretty funny. Like half the people in the theater were laughing. The ending really didn't help when minutes earlier I suggested the villain was a vampire who was also a shark.

Micheal_Myers
Just saw this tonight. I thought it was brilliant. There is a genuinely creepy feel to this movie. The ending was a bit...sudden...But I was down with it.

Apparently there are two alternate endings. One is actually on high quality on youtube.

Myth
Originally posted by Micheal_Myers

Apparently there are two alternate endings. One is actually on high quality on youtube.

I can only find one: Where she comes back in bloody with a knife and then sits on the bedroom floor rocking for a long time, until a friend calls the police and they shoot her as she goes at them with the knife.

Can somebody help me find the other alternate?

Kris Blaze
Eventually downloaded it.

It was pretty meh. I understand that it might have been creepier if I had seen it in the theatres, but common. Incredibly predictable end and some untapped potential.

The Nuul
I heard that there is 3 endings for this....

quanchi112
Just saw this tonight. I thought it was brilliant. There is a genuinely creepy feel to this movie. The ending was a bit...sudden...But I was down with it.

Apparently there are two alternate endings. One is actually on high quality on youtube. Really? That's awesome. I will have to wait until dvd to see the other two as it will kill it watching it on my pc. Being in the proper environment is key when watching something like this.

Micheal_Myers
Originally posted by quanchi112
Really? That's awesome. I will have to wait until dvd to see the other two as it will kill it watching it on my pc. Being in the proper environment is key when watching something like this.

I agree. I cant help but wish I would have waited and watched this by myself in a darkened room. It would have completely freaked me out. The audience of the film definitely took away from its truly creepy moments. I still think this film is fantastic.

MildPossession
You can see information on the different endings here, I haven't seen the film but I've seen the police shooting the woman alternative ending, but I think they should have gone with the ending where she comes up after killing her husband and then coming towards the camera and killing herself by slitting her throat compared to I think the silly running towards the camera or something with the knife and it cutting ?

http://www.horrorsquad.com/2009/10/11/so-what-was-paranormal-activitys-original-ending/#

Kris Blaze
I agree. I cant help but wish I would have waited and watched this by myself in a darkened room. It would have completely freaked me out. The audience of the film definitely took away from its truly creepy moments. I still think this film is fantastic.

The movies should be the proper place to watch these film no expression

Once you complain about how it's not suited for your computer, you lose all rights to claim that it would be better on TV. You're agreeing with someone who claims watching it on PC will ruin the experience, and claiming that it would be better to watch on TV.

DanZeke25
Saw this tonight. Loved it, thought it was brilliant. And for the record, I think pretty much all the Horror movies are stupid. Backfire mentioned The Descent, I thought that movies was really stupid and wasn't scared at all, but Paranormal Activity was really good, and really creepy. If I would have watched this by myself in my house I would have sh*t my pants and heard all kind of noises, but watching it in the theater did not make it any worse IMO.

Micheal_Myers
Originally posted by Kris Blaze
The movies should be the proper place to watch these film no expression

Once you complain about how it's not suited for your computer, you lose all rights to claim that it would be better on TV. You're agreeing with someone who claims watching it on PC will ruin the experience, and claiming that it would be better to watch on TV.

Actually, I'm only agreeing with the fact that he states watching this in the proper environment is important.

IMO the proper environment to watch this is in a dark room by yourself. At the cinema the crowd reactions annoyed me.

Kris Blaze
Actually, I'm only agreeing with the fact that he states watching this in the proper environment is important.

IMO the proper environment to watch this is in a dark room by yourself. At the cinema the crowd reactions annoyed me.

I agree, environment can be everything. A home theatre set would trump the cinema. Even if they don't talk, things become less frightening when you're number #26 on the 10th row being scared.

MightyEInherjar
This movie is only good in a theatre with maybe 2-3 couples. A loud audience would completely ruin it.

The Nuul
Saw this in my house lights off while in bed with my GF.

After 10 mins my GF start to make some baby cloths for my Nephew and in breaks she reformatted her laptop. This movie was boring and when thing got so called "scary".....we were making jokes, her BF is a complete idiot.....if anything the special effects were cool.

I am glad I didnt waste 10 bucks on this and I cant believe I got sucked into the hype of this film. A tale of Two sisters is way more creepy then this. Better then Bare B!tch Protect by a mile though just because BWP sucked soooo much.

The Nuul
I can see someone making a parody of this movie. I got some good ideas maybe I should write a script and sell it.

ladygrim
was going to watch this early but might wait to go see it in the cinema for proper feel off the film

MildPossession
You will get a proper feel for the film in your own house with this type of film from the look of the film and subject matter. I'm waiting till dvd because the way it's shot looks like it going to cause motion sickness with me and I'd have to have a break from it.

BackFire
It's actually not that bad compared to other 'shaky cam' movies. The camera is often on a tripod and totally still.

The Nuul
Yeah, its not very shaky at all, there is a lot of times when they put the camera on a table etc....

ladygrim
just watched it didnt think it was that scary at the beginning think i have changed my mind by the end , lol its very tense if thats the corect word to use.

WickedDynamite
I might have enjoyed this film better if I hadn't been spoiled by different people and the internet. Look...I will be honest, I can't review nor suggest this film base on the fact that I was spoiled really badly. So pretty much I was expecting what was going to happen next.

Therefore...I cannot recomend nor critique the film. I was spoil very badly thanks to the idiot fans who over praise this film and over hype the movie. I'm sure if someone would have come to me earlier with a DVD copy and told me "Watch this tonight" and not give out a hint of a clue of what the movie is about....then yeah, I would have enjoyed it or might not enjoy it.

If the people responsible for marketing this film would change the awful title of "Paranormal Activity" to something like:

"A guy and girl sleeping in bed and not having sex"

"Psycho bitches of San Diego County"

"Oh look! It's hidden camera"

Then yeah, the secrecy would have work fine like it did with Blair Witch, Cloverfield, and .

WD is not happy. sad

lil bitchiness
I watched it, and it was...alright. Not amazing by any stretch of imagination.

WickedDynamite
was better.

Sith Master X
Wasn't thrilled with it. Way over hyped.

Micheal_Myers
Here comes the backlash roll eyes (sarcastic)

BackFire
I thought PA was better than , much more effective and creepy and creative.

lil bitchiness
Originally posted by WickedDynamite
was better.

Yes, I concur. I think that is the only move that actually terrfied me not to mention made me uncomfortable.

Kris Blaze
REC wasn't scarier, but it was a hell of a lot better.

Myth
Originally posted by Kris Blaze
REC wasn't scarier, but it was a hell of a lot better.

Agreed. PA was creepier, but REC was more fun.

ladygrim
Originally posted by WickedDynamite
was better. just watched REC its definatly better than Paranormal smile

WickedDynamite
Indeed, and much more original story. Stories of haunted homes and possess by demons are best left for tv shows like ABC Family or Discovery Channel Halloween week.

Don't get me wrong not trying to bash PA. It was spooky at times. It's still worth seen it.

MildPossession
I have no sympathy for people who moan about a film being spoilt thanks to online fans and so on talking about it. You don't have to read what other people think about the film.

Fair enough if the trailer comes on suddenly while you are in the cinema and it has something that spoils it, and you have moronic friends who spoil a film for you, if you asked them not to talk about it that is.

stick out tongue

A sequel will probably be on the way:

lil bitchiness
I think I may be in the minority here. I really did not think much of that movie. In terms of creepyness and other.

Kris Blaze
Pardon my ignorance, but isn't 300k a fairly small amount for the rights to a movie?

BackFire
In retrospect it is, considering the movie went on to make over 50 million dollars.

However, considering at the time the guy who made it never made any other movie prior, and made it for roughly $15,000, it probably seemed like a huge amount at the time.

LaserUnicorn
Loved this movie! I had trouble sleeping after watching it. Especially since my drapes by the bed started moving in a weird way, freaked the hell out of me.

The Nuul
Originally posted by LaserUnicorn
Loved this movie! I had trouble sleeping after watching it. Especially since my drapes by the bed started moving in a weird way, freaked the hell out of me.

Spoilers please.....

AsbestosFlaygon
Reminds me of this:

YZps0H7lb2M

AsbestosFlaygon
That pantry shit is fake IMO..
But this one is authentic, as far as I can tell.
Had a similar experience. Didn't get good sleep for like a week..

BTi0S1ZUYF0

FistOfThe North
Ghosts aren't real.

Fact.

They are figments of our imagination.

MildPossession
Doesn't ruin a film if that's your opinion on ghosts. Not for me anyway.

Micheal_Myers
Originally posted by FistOfThe North
Ghosts aren't real.

Fact.

They are figments of our imagination.

Whats your point?

FistOfThe North
just poitn it out for everyones consideration.

And no. Ghosts do not exist. It's not a matter of opinion. It's a matter of proven scientific fact.

Myth

And no. Ghosts do not exist. It's not a matter of opinion. It's a matter of proven scientific fact.

Science doesn't prove that things don't exist. There have been no solid evidence that ghosts do exist, but there has also not been anything to disprove them either. That said, I am not a believer.

Myth
Originally posted by The Nuul
Spoilers please.....

????

The curtain thing he was referring to was in HIS OWN room.

BackFire
Originally posted by AsbestosFlaygon
That pantry shit is fake IMO..
But this one is authentic, as far as I can tell.
Had a similar experience. Didn't get good sleep for like a week..

BTi0S1ZUYF0

Hahaha, looked like a dude in a Michael Myers mask to me.

The Nuul
just poitn it out for everyones consideration.

Your can make your own thread about if ghost exist or not, keep your opinion out of this thread.

HueyFreeman
Originally posted by Myth
Science doesn't prove that things don't exist. There have been no solid evidence that ghosts do exist, but there has also not been anything to disprove them either. That said, I am not a believer. You could say the same for leprechauns and the keebler elf.

MildPossession
Leprechauns are real...

Myth
You could say the same for leprechauns and the keebler elf.

True, but you don't seem to understand the way the scientific method works if you agree that it is a "proven scientific fact".

That ACDC Chick
ive had a whole bunch of ghost encounters in my home
the worst happened not too long ago in the middle of the night
i woke from a dream and i felt something standing on the bed and i got this image in my head of a girl with real long hair just looming over me] i couldnt move and after like five or ten minutes it finally left

That ACDC Chick
cant resist haermm

KedGncdV-T4

MildPossession
HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HueyFreeman
Originally posted by Myth
True, but you don't seem to understand the way the scientific method works if you agree that it is a "proven scientific fact". I agree with you on how the scientific method works. I am just commenting on how that train of thought can be ridiculous in justifying belief in something.

Myth
I agree with you on how the scientific method works. I am just commenting on how that train of thought can be ridiculous in justifying belief in something.

Sounds like we are on the same page then. I don't believe in ghosts, but I don't rule out the possibility.

Myth
Originally posted by That ACDC Chick
cant resist haermm

KedGncdV-T4

That would be great for one of those scary face surprise videos. Quiet, suspenseful, yet humorous which makes you not expect the screaming.

That ACDC Chick
SPOOOOOOKYYYYYYYYYYY
meTQLpjEgX8

MildPossession
Yes, such a realistic ghost!! what a find!! stick out tongue

That ACDC Chick
theres even more like the first one i posted
the best is the thermal imaging one and the graveyard one crylaugh

BackFire
I wanna see the graveyard one.

FistOfThe North
Just saw this. (P.A.)

And i'll have to say that it is one of the best ghost stories of all time if not the best ghost film of all time. It all just seemed so convincingly genuine in ways most horror mockumetaries aren't.

I saw it with 2 of my cousins and one of them truley believe it's that the film was actual footage, lol.

wow. the movie was an experience like non-other. and i read that there are 3 endings. the 2007 ending, the current ending playing in theatres now, and the third coming out on dvd.

man what that one freaky spook. i hated the chick with the nagging. but other than that the movie get a solid 10/10. It replaces "The Ring" as my most favorite ghost movie.

Paranormal Activity. A movie you buy.

I was better than the blair witch, and i liked that movie alot.

That ACDC Chick
I wanna see the graveyard one.
t3C4CbUT5_k

lord xyz
Genuinely scary.

A lot of people were shaking after this.

ladygrim
t3C4CbUT5_k hahaha i have this favorited on youtube his vids are hilarious

That ACDC Chick
Originally posted by ladygrim
hahaha i have this favorited on youtube his vids are hilarious
me and my sister got into looking up ghost vids and i found him
at first i was a little wary that it might be the jump out and scare the pants off you kind of vid, but once i saw it wasnt, i loved it

lord xyz
me and my sister got into looking up ghost vids and i found him
at first i was a little wary that it might be the jump out and scare the pants off you kind of vid, but once i saw it wasnt, i loved it I thought it was one of those jump out and scare you vids too.

Blinky

Wolfie
I found it incredibly boring and repetitive. It was just an hour and a half of people sleeping, doors closing, and lights turning on.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.