Cash For Clunkers

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

occultdestroyer
What do you guys think about this auto-loan program spearheaded by Edward Markey?

Robtard
I have mixed feelings about it, as I'm a little hesitant that the government pays people to trade in their cars.

Also of note, people are responsible for paying the tax on that 4K+ they receive.

occultdestroyer
wNoBJLYfFTk

The bad thing is...
They're destroying perfectly usable cars.

Besides, I don't really see how this helps the American populace as a whole.
It's just seems to be like another means of circulating the money from the tax payers.

Robtard
Many a time they are. I own a 97 Montero, it has 118k miles, but runs like a top. So the only thing I would be getting in return under the c4c program, would be better fuel mileage, that is if I traded it in for a more fuel efficient car and not a new gas-guzzling SUV(which people are doing). I'd also be taking on a monthly payment, were none existed before, so even the fuel mileage incentive is questionable.

I don't see it either, at least I see possibly flaws. Boosting the economy means creating the need for consumers when there's none to be had, not cramming spending that would have happened over the course anyways of 24 months into 3-4 months. Which logically is what happened in the c4c program for some of the participants.

It also likely hurt the some non c4c consumers, if you went to just buy a car while the c4c program was in effect, a dealer would be less likely to deal with you on the price, as he knows the car would likely sell at the sticker price when some c4c consumer comes in.

I feel congress is going to dish out another 3-4 billion for another c4c run sometime soon, as they'll be the "we didn't get to trade in out shit-box, now we feel cheated" crowd.

jaden101
Originally posted by Robtard

I feel congress is going to dish out another 3-4 billion for another c4c run sometime soon, as they'll be the "we didn't get to trade in out shit-box, now we feel cheated" crowd.

Well then that's when you get Mike Strutter to tell them like it is.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5zgzp_mike-strutter-smoketank_fun

35 seconds....^

dadudemon
Originally posted by jaden101
Well then that's when you get Mike Strutter to tell them like it is.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5zgzp_mike-strutter-smoketank_fun

35 seconds....^

That reeks strongly of American humor. Ahhhhh...not all British humor is dry. I loved this.

jaden101
Mike Strutter doesn't give a **** what you like.

dadudemon
Originally posted by jaden101
Mike Strutter doesn't give a **** what you like.

Based on that video, I'd be obliged to agree.

WhoopeeDee
As I understand it was suppose to boost sales for like Chrysler and GM.

But the buyers drove directly towards the Toyota, Honda, and Ford dealers.

I dunno...$4,500 for an old car isn't that bad of a deal.

jinXed by JaNx
that whole cash for clunkers thing was just another jew scandal..,watch, i bet you.

Symmetric Chaos
I don't really get the point. The boost in sales is totally artificial and environmental impact will be minimal.

Darth Jello
Well we should have done what China did and restricted it to the purchase of american cars

Naz
I think it was a win-win.

Auto dealerships say their first profit margins in a long time, so it did help the economy by helping businesses.

And it promoted people driving safer cars. Safer for other users of the road, safer for the driver and his/her passengers, and semi-safer for the environment. I don't really care much about the third point, but whatever.

What I thought they could have done was use the scrap metal form those traded in cars for something worthwhile instead of crushing them, but you can't have everything.

Robtard
Few possible problems in your points.

A sudden jump and then return to current state isn't an economical upturn. It's basically just a blimp.

Not everyone traded in an actual "clunker", nor did they buy a more fuel efficient car. SUV sales where popular, supposedly.

I'd imagine that scrap will be recycled, as it's money to be made in raw materials.

Robtard
Originally posted by Darth Jello
Well we should have done what China did and restricted it to the purchase of american cars

That actually wouldn't have been a terrible idea, as the Gov'ment owns GM, would have helped two-fold.

jinXed by JaNx
Originally posted by Darth Jello

OR we could just ask japan to stop making steel for us, given that we pay them to make our steel.

AngryManatee
I wish the program also allowed you to trade in your car for a slightly less used car. I don't like a lot of the new models out nowadays.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.