How to you obtain your music?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

SnakeEyes
Well, how do you get the music you listen to?

MildPossession
I still and always will be a person who buys the CD, I prefer the CD to downloads.

Use Spotify to check out an album, and if I like it, I buy the CD, if not, I've saved myself money. I'm listening to Kid Cudi's new album at the moment on it, like it enough so far to buy, so it's going on my to buy list. smile

The only things I download are out of print(unless can find them second hand at a normal price, but I'm not prepared to pay insane amounts of money just for a CD), trailer music or music that wasn't made avaliable to buy on CD, example: I downloaded the score for the film Australia. For some reason they haven't released it on CD since the film was out.

Darth Jello
I'll get mp3's if i have to, I use itunes on the road for convenience, but MP3's just have no balls.

§P0oONY
Spotify to browse, then I'll buy the CD if it's really good, illegally download if it's only just decent enough to own. I simply can't afford to buy everything. It's not right but I'll still do it.

occultdestroyer
Illegal download

jinXed by JaNx
Originally posted by occultdestroyer
Illegal download

i'm telling the FBI

Alonzo3526
Originally posted by occultdestroyer
Illegal download
best way wink

Alonzo3526
Originally posted by jinXed by JaNx
i'm telling the FBI http://modernhumorist.com/mh/0004/propaganda/mp3.jpg

D00m
I'm pretty much finished with buying CD's. I only purchase vinyl, or I grab a digital copy (v0 or FLAC, please). If an artist I like has a show near by I always make my way down and show some support. There might be the rare occasion where I buy an album on compact disc, but that's only if I can't find it on wax, or if there aren't any good rips online.

occultdestroyer
Or I rip the music from Youtube or whatever streaming site, then convert it from FLV/MP4 to MP3 using Format Factory (set at 128kbps, 44100 Hz, better than CD Quality).

Then I burn it to a CD or save it on flash drives so I can play it in the car too.

MildPossession
I'm struggling to understand how ripping streaming music off sites(no matter how you convert it and so on) is better than CD quality...

occultdestroyer
Originally posted by MildPossession
I'm struggling to understand how ripping streaming music off sites(no matter how you convert it and so on) is better than CD quality...
CD Quality (.cda) plays around 80-96kbps.

MP3 is regarded to have better quality in general than CDA.
The best quality is 128kbps, 44100 Hz.

It also depends on the source, the size of the file, the stereo/mono setup, etc.
For example, converting MP3s too small/large in size or set in mono are inferior to CDs.

I'm an audiophile. MP3s bought via iTunes sound better than CDs.
It's a 'hit and miss' to find MP3s that sounds similar to the MP3s in iTunes.

Dr. Leg Kick
I bought your wax and used it for a frisbee

MildPossession
Oh, I've been told the opposite, that there is no MP3 quality better than CD out there at the moment... I'm confused.

D00m
Oh, I've been told the opposite, that there is no MP3 quality better than CD out there at the moment... I'm confused.

FLAC >>>>> CD

CD >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 128 kbps

lossless >>> CD

Good bit rates to listen to music: 320 kbps and v0/v2

I rather listen to 320, V0, or FLAC over CD any day.

http://flac.sourceforge.net/index.html

FLAC isn't the future. FLAC is now.

The only setback is that the files are really huge, but if you're an audiophile that doesn't matter.

MildPossession
Well I'm happy with my very good quality CD music, it's brilliant enough for me. smile stick out tongue

shiv
Okay who sells legal music in flac.

I mean could I get Pinks Album Funhouse on Flac without hassle

how about The Joshua Tree on Flac

Are there legal flac downloads for big Albums in Flac such as Licenced to Ill or Whitney Houston?

because If Flac is only available for Jaheim, Lady Gaga, Taylor Swift And Pitbull Its value as a format for people who want to do the right thing and support their favourite Artists is limited. And will remain Limited.

D00m
Well I'm happy with my very good quality CD music, it's brilliant enough for me. smile stick out tongue

CD sound quality stinks; compared to vinyl anyway. Ever hear of the "loudness war"?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudness_war

but most people can't even tell the difference anyway. Bah.

D00m
Originally posted by shiv
Okay who sells legal music in flac.

I mean could I get Pinks Album Funhouse on Flac without hassle

how about The Joshua Tree on Flac

Are there legal flac downloads for big Albums in Flac such as Licenced to Ill or Whitney Houston?

because If Flac is only available for Jaheim, Lady Gaga, Taylor Swift And Pitbull Its value as a format for people who want to do the right thing and support their favourite Artists is limited. And will remain Limited.

I have no idea if FLAC is available for any of those artists, but a lot independant artists are making FLAC available when offerening a digital download. People are barely jumping on the FLAC bandwaggon, but soon it will become widely available.

MildPossession
I couldn't be bothered to read that, but what is the volume level, for 'someone who can notice the difference', where distortion starts?

jinXed by JaNx
my speakers go up to 11

Scythe
I buy all my cds used.

MildPossession
To some, that is the same as illegally downloading music. stick out tongue

red g jacks
google: artist name + album name +.rar mediafire

Darth Jello
To some, that is the same as illegally downloading music. stick out tongue

Paying for a Dead Kennedys CD knowing it'll benefit those three dicks just feels wrong. Used and illegal downloading is the way to go now.

Alpha Centauri
Dumb argument, Jello.

If you dislike a shop manager, do you steal clothes? No, you pay. The only reason you don't pay for the CDs is because you don't want to pay, you prefer to steal, at least admit that.

I pay for it. You know, like a normal person.

-AC

Darth Jello
I'll buy them used. I just don't want East Bay Ray, DH Pelligro, or Klaus Flouride getting my money. Even then I have the original albums from Alternative Tentacles so I guess this would only apply to the newer dubious reissues.

Alpha Centauri
You don't want them having your money, so now you get to tell me why you then deserve their work.

Don't bother, the answer is; you don't.

So, ya gotta wonder why, why, why do you still listen to the music if you dislike the people? Could it be because their personal lives and attitudes have shit-all to do with the quality of the music? Yes.

On that note, their attitudes and lives should have nothing to do with your decision to pay for it.

You don't pay because you prefer to steal. Just be man enough to admit that.

-AC

jaden101
I now check stuff out on spotify and then buy the cd or digital versions.

Darth Jello
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
You don't want them having your money, so now you get to tell me why you then deserve their work.

Don't bother, the answer is; you don't.

So, ya gotta wonder why, why, why do you still listen to the music if you dislike the people? Could it be because their personal lives and attitudes have shit-all to do with the quality of the music? Yes.

On that note, their attitudes and lives should have nothing to do with your decision to pay for it.

You don't pay because you prefer to steal. Just be man enough to admit that.

-AC

Actually, my attitude has to do with how they screwed Jello Biafra and Alternative Tentacles records out of the rights to the music and have completely tarnished their legacy.

Imagine if Nirvana still existed and Dave Grohl somehow successfully won a lawsuit giving himself and a record label he pulled out of his ass the exclusive rights to Nirvana's entire catalog and then went on tour as Nirvana with Keanu Reaves and Fred Durst replacing Kurt Cobain and Krist Novoselic while still using photos of the original band on all the advertisements.

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by Darth Jello
Actually, my attitude has to do with how they screwed Jello Biafra and Alternative Tentacles records out of the rights to the music and have completely tarnished their legacy.

Imagine if Nirvana still existed and Dave Grohl somehow successfully won a lawsuit giving himself and a record label he pulled out of his ass the exclusive rights to Nirvana's entire catalog and then went on tour as Nirvana with Keanu Reaves and Fred Durst replacing Kurt Cobain and Krist Novoselic while still using photos of the original band on all the advertisements.

Yes, it was shit. What's your point?

If it were that bad you'd stop listening to them all together, you're still supporting them by listening.

If you enjoy the music, you should be paying for it.

-AC

Darth Jello
I'm not FINANCIALLY supporting them.

Alpha Centauri
You should be, if you like and listen to their music.

Welcome to my point.

-AC

BackFire
I steal music from stores.

Blinky
I download songs I like, but only buy albums that I like in their entirety.

Darth Jello
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
You should be, if you like and listen to their music.

Welcome to my point.

-AC

How is buying a used CD theft? Besides who cares about support? They're broken up, they don't tour cuz two of the band members have heart problems and they haven't written a new song since 1985 or recorded anything new since 1986. Even when they had Jeff Penalty and the kid from the courthship of eddie's father in the band during the reunion they never did anything new! How the **** do you turn into a tribute band of yourself and why should anyone support you?

Alpha Centauri
Decent people care about support.

If you own their music, the people who made it deserve to be paid for it.

I'm not asking for a cancer cure, it's a simple premise.

-AC

Peach
As of late, I've been using a combo of iTunes and Amazon downloads.

Got the new Weezer album for $4 on amazon the day it released, can't get much better than that stick out tongue

AsbestosFlaygon
I bet my salary the majority just download music using LimeWire or other P2P programs.

AndrewDavis17
I go for legal way of downloading it, as a support for the music industry. It's very tough for the industry to move on if people continue to do illegal downloading in obtaining their music.

Scythe
Amazon MP3 downloads.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.