The decision to change my current spiritual life.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

WhoopeeDee
Well, I'm 33 now...and have so much to do. But I think at this time in my life I'm going to turn things around and dedicate my spare time to....

....Paranormal investigation.

Yeah, sure! laugh all you want. But don't think I'm jumping on a 4 wheel truck heading for the mountains to search for Sasquatch...no-no-no...nothing like that...

..I'm taking this as a spiritual learning...you know..read about myths, tales, and beliefs...you know...the stuff that voodoo freaky thing people watch on cable tv documentaries. I'll give you ideas as the time passes and post them here...

Of course I must follow the first rule of occultist....be a skeptic first.

I'm keeping this as a log for my friends on KMC.

(this is not be confuse as a new hobby for me)

Keep you guys updated. wink

King Kandy
Even if you don't actually believe it, I don't see the point in spending time on such obvious falsehoods.

Symmetric Chaos
Hey as long as you don't believe in God it's fine.

Digi
http://xkcd.com/373/

Basically my thoughts on the matter. Have fun.

siriuswriter
the thing i would recommend to do first is the reading. nonfiction, studies on the celtic culture and its gods, gaelic culture, how there came to be stories about "the folk" and such. native american culture, hindu, if something gives off a hint of symbology then check it out.

i took a lecture course over the internet on greek gods and that was pretty eye-opening and a bunch of fun.

but don't jump straight in to something like ghost hunters and use that as your doctrine.

but exploring is always good....

jinXed by JaNx
god love you dude, you should look him up some time.

Digi
Originally posted by siriuswriter
the thing i would recommend to do first is the reading. nonfiction, studies on the celtic culture and its gods, gaelic culture, how there came to be stories about "the folk" and such. native american culture, hindu, if something gives off a hint of symbology then check it out.

i took a lecture course over the internet on greek gods and that was pretty eye-opening and a bunch of fun.

but don't jump straight in to something like ghost hunters and use that as your doctrine.

but exploring is always good....

Seems roundabout. He's interested in the paranormal, not ancient mythology.

But I'll co-sign the Ghost Hunters statement. They're tailor-made for TV, and go for shock value and sensationalistic "What IF?!" type questions more than actual scientific veracity. Paranormal investigators routinely solve "ghost" cases without drama, or have inconclusive results. It's interesting, but makes for rather boring television. And call me boring, but I prefer my research to be done without a side of Blair Witch and crazy pills.

WhoopeeDee
Yeah...I'm planning this change without the bloated ego of some folks.

Wish me luck.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by WhoopeeDee

Wish me luck.

You egotist. stick out tongue

WhoopeeDee
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
You egotist. stick out tongue

Haha! That's why I like you Shaky.

big grin

Bicnarok
Check out "astral pulse" and you might be on the staircase to some excellent and revealing out of body experiences.

http://www.astralpulse.com/forums/

Digi
Originally posted by Bicnarok
Check out "astral pulse" and you might be on the staircase to some excellent and revealing out of body experiences.

http://www.astralpulse.com/forums/

Meh. The vast majority of OBE's have basic scientific explanations. And the ones that don't are generally because we don't have enough information to identify what happened. But they make great "Chicken Soup" type stories, and seem to offer confirmation to those seeking some kind of "otherness," so people enjoy discussing them. I can see the appeal on an emotional level, but I wonder why extravagantly religious or spiritual OBE claims still exist when we've pinpointed exactly what happens in the brain to trigger such experiences.

Scythe

Wish me luck.

So, you're gonna be a Ghost Buster? Neat, I wanna be one too.

Rogue Jedi
Well, I'm 33 now...and have so much to do. But I think at this time in my life I'm going to turn things around and dedicate my spare time to....

Yeah, sure! laugh all you want. But don't think I'm jumping on a 4 wheel truck heading for the mountains to search for Sasquatch...no-no-no...nothing like that...

..I'm taking this as a spiritual learning...you know..read about myths, tales, and beliefs...you know...the stuff that voodoo freaky thing people watch on cable tv documentaries. I'll give you ideas as the time passes and post them here...

Keep you guys updated. wink I watched "1408" recently, that actually looks like an interesting field. It's bullshit, but good luck.

Mindship
Yeah, I was thinking about some paranormal research. That or go into stand-up comedy.

Shakyamunison
WhoopeeDee, how is it going so far?

BruceSkywalker

Keep you guys updated. wink

good luck.. WD

lil bitchiness
Yeah, best of luck WD. Spiritual fulfilment is a personal thing, and however you wish to channel that, I wish you best of luck.

Let us know if you get onto something. Parallel Universes would be awesome too!

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by lil bitchiness
Parallel Universes would be awesome too!

Bah, Copenhagen interpretation all the way!

dadudemon
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
Bah, Copenhagen interpretation all the way!
Chewing tobacco is gross. sick

shifty

laughing

Symmetric Chaos
I don't see how your reference to a brand of chewing tobacco relates to my quantum physics joke.

dadudemon
I don't see how your reference to a brand of chewing tobacco relates to my quantum physics joke.

I was being punny.

And I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or serious. awesome

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by dadudemon
I was being punny.

And I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or serious. awesome

I didn't get the pun sadangel

WhoopeeDee
WhoopeeDee, how is it going so far?

Quite good! Lots of reading books. Which is what I like...so it's been good.

Shakyamunison
Quite good! Lots of reading books. Which is what I like...so it's been good.

Have you read The Power of Myth?

WhoopeeDee
Have you read The Power of Myth?

Oh yes I did! Way back in my 2nd semester of Philosophy in college. As a matter of fact Joseph Campbell wrote a book call "The Inner Reaches of Outter Space". Which is one of the books in my wish list.

Anyone wanting to read Mythology should definetly start with Campbell. He's a great guide and source.

Good call Shaky.

Shakyamunison
Oh yes I did! Way back in my 2nd semester of Philosophy in college. As a matter of fact Joseph Campbell wrote a book call "The Inner Reaches of Outter Space". Which is one of the books in my wish list.

Anyone wanting to read Mythology should definetly start with Campbell. He's a great guide and source.

Good call Shaky.

OK, another book for you, and this one is very different. Have you read Flatland by Edwin Abbott?

WhoopeeDee
Read it too but didn't like it much because is a novel (and maybe because of Math) I did like the plot but that was it.

Throw me a few books. Might add them to my wish list.

Shakyamunison
Read it too but didn't like it much because is a novel (and maybe because of Math) I did like the plot but that was it.

Throw me a few books. Might add them to my wish list.

The rest are Buddhist books. I can give you a recommendation, but I kind of avoid suggesting those because I don't want to come across as proselytizing.

The Buddha in Your Mirror: Practical Buddhism and the Search for Self
http://www.amazon.com/Buddha-Your-Mirror-Practical-Buddhism/dp/0967469783

Buddha in Daily Life: Introduction to the Buddhism of Nichiren Daishonin
http://www.amazon.com/Buddha-Daily-Life-Introduction-Daishonin/dp/071267456X

At least, if you read these, you will understand were I am coming from. big grin

Thundar
The rest are Buddhist books. I can give you a recommendation, but I kind of avoid suggesting those because I don't want to come across as proselytizing.

The Buddha in Your Mirror: Practical Buddhism and the Search for Self
http://www.amazon.com/Buddha-Your-Mirror-Practical-Buddhism/dp/0967469783

Buddha in Daily Life: Introduction to the Buddhism of Nichiren Daishonin
http://www.amazon.com/Buddha-Daily-Life-Introduction-Daishonin/dp/071267456X

At least, if you read these, you will understand were I am coming from. big grin

Agreed.

WickedDynamite
Update!

Lately the 2012 hype is the biggest topic in the New Age movement. I'm trying to read more but not too much. I refuse to be a fanatic...so it seems like my reading continues to move in the right direction by avoiding fanaticism.

Keeping you posted.

Digi
You've read Campbell. Awesome. Everything else is pretty much just extra icing on the cake. He's at once illuminating and inspiring.

Also, there's no point in believing the world will end in 2012. Because if they're right, well, damn. I'd much rather just be the sensible one and say "meh" when 2013 hits and people move on to the next big doomsday hoax.

inimalist
Originally posted by Digi
You've read Campbell. Awesome. Everything else is pretty much just extra icing on the cake. He's at once illuminating and inspiring.

Also, there's no point in believing the world will end in 2012. Because if they're right, well, damn. I'd much rather just be the sensible one and say "meh" when 2013 hits and people move on to the next big doomsday hoax.

unfortunately it will be a self fulfilling prophecy

something of consequence happens every year, every day. If something big didn't happen in early december 2012 that would be more amazing than if something did.

those of us who keep an ear to this stuff will experience a switch from "OMG 2012" to "X that occurred proves 2012!!!!"

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by inimalist
unfortunately it will be a self fulfilling prophecy

something of consequence happens every year, every day. If something big didn't happen in early december 2012 that would be more amazing than if something did.

those of us who keep an ear to this stuff will experience a switch from "OMG 2012" to "X that occurred proves 2012!!!!"

How many different readings can there be of "and then we all died"?

WickedDynamite

Thus lies the misconception and the sterotypes. Many are saying that there is no end happening. The world ends in 2012? that's doomsayers words spreading their propaganda. New Age folks are speaking of a change in a spiritual experience...or in other ways to put it a new movement in the metaphysical arena.

King Kandy
It should be noted that we actually have some Mayan records from the last time the calender cycle reset, and they don't seem to show anything interesting happened at all.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by WickedDynamite
Thus lies the misconception and the sterotypes. Many are saying that there is no end happening. The world ends in 2012? that's doomsayers words spreading their propaganda. New Age folks are speaking of a change in a spiritual experience...or in other ways to put it a new movement in the metaphysical arena.

They've been peddling that particular brand of snakeoil since Heinlein accidentally created the whole New Age idea. In fact the whole concept of New Agers is that the "metaphysical awakening" is going to happen on one randomly selected date or another.

inimalist
How many different readings can there be of "and then we all died"?

people I used to talk to about this had as recently as last year already modified the predictions. No longer were they making arguments like "don't worry about global warming, the world is going to end", rather they had switched to things like "global consciousness taking people to a non-earthly dimension" or "The return of spirits to the material realm" or really ambiguous stuff like that. Predictions that, if literally nothing happened, could be interpreted as having occurred.

WickedDynamite
They've been peddling that particular brand of snakeoil since Heinlein accidentally created the whole New Age idea. In fact the whole concept of New Agers is that the "metaphysical awakening" is going to happen on one randomly selected date or another.

What you term snake oil is also known as thinking differently. Something philosphers been doing for ages.

Symmetric Chaos
What you term snake oil is also known as thinking differently. Something philosphers been doing for ages.

No, the spontaneous worldwide awakening of a unified spirituality that New Agers have been repredicting for something like 70 years now is pure snake oil.

inimalist
the spontaneous worldwide awakening of a unified spirituality that New Agers have been repredicting for something like 70 years now is pure snake oil.

WickedDynamite
No, the spontaneous worldwide awakening of a unified spirituality that New Agers have been repredicting for something like 70 years now is pure snake oil.

Who are these New Agers you speak of?

(please don't rush to Wiki...take your time)

inimalist
"New Ager" refers to a person who believes some of a wide variety of ideas, most of which originated in the past 70 years. They incorporate ideas of "energy", psychic powers, a global consciousness, spirits and other Eastern ideas mixed with traditional western ideas of God and Angels.

"New Agers" would likely not refer to themselves as such. For instance, a recent PEW poll showed that many Americans have some new age beliefs. A quarter believe in reincarnation, about 20% have visited a psychic, and about the same number are sure they have been in contact with a spirit at some point. What is even more amazing is that 21% of Christians said they believed in reincarnation, an idea mutually exclusive with traditional Christian beliefs.

The "New Age" belief about 2012 has similarly penetrated spheres that a not normally new age. I've heard preachers on TV talk about how 2012 is the ordained time of Armageddon, or the blending between all of the conspiracy theories (aliens, Alex Jones, etc) and new age predictions about the end of the world.

In this context, "New Ager" may almost be circularly defined as someone who believes the world is going to end in 2012, given that the predictions for the end of the world originated in pseudo-history and entered the rest of pop culture through new age ideas. While it is true there may be people who believe the world is ending in 2012 who don't believe anything else from the new age movement, that belief makes them, at least loosely, a "new ager". Similarly, if I believed in the divinity of Jesus but nothing else from Christianity, I could loosely be defined as a Christian.

WickedDynamite
That's a very good post there imialist. I will also add that there many philosophers such as Kierkegaard and Ponty whom are consider New agers and contributed to the movement through exploring new ideas by means of philosophy. When I first read new age books, I was surprise to find many philosophers mention or even acknowledge...which to me was a sign of sincerity.

Mairuzu
Any luck catchin them ghost, then?

inimalist
That's a very good post there imialist. I will also add that there many philosophers such as Kierkegaard and Ponty whom are consider New agers and contributed to the movement through exploring new ideas by means of philosophy. When I first read new age books, I was surprise to find many philosophers mention or even acknowledge...which to me was a sign of sincerity.

fair enough

I've actually encountered quite the opposite in my discussions with "new age" people (I haven't read anything "new age", as even "sci-fi" makes my literal brain hurt) I've found that they mention many philosophers, but rarely have a rudimentary understanding of what they were talking about. See: Plato and Atlantis or The Secret

WickedDynamite
Originally posted by inimalist
fair enough

I've actually encountered quite the opposite in my discussions with "new age" people (I haven't read anything "new age", as even "sci-fi" makes my literal brain hurt) I've found that they mention many philosophers, but rarely have a rudimentary understanding of what they were talking about. See: Plato and Atlantis or The Secret

Well, what kind of sci-fi are you referring to, or are you pretty general? (I'm hoping you don't mean Fahrenheit 451 or Dune)

There are certain aspects of Plato which coincide with new age concepts such as his metaphor of the cave. Now, to be objective there are so-called new agers who happen to take quite literally everything about Atlantis, but at times they expose themselves as fanatics and actual thinkers.

Digi
Goddamnit, someone mentioned The Secret. Please for the love of God (or the Universal Energy Consciousness I suppose), don't get wrapped up in that bull pucky.

Thundar
Goddamnit, someone mentioned The Secret. Please for the love of God (or the Universal Energy Consciousness I suppose), don't get wrapped up in that bull pucky.

I'm going to take the middleground on this one and say that I am now spiritual.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.