First Person Shooters. Why so much love?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

TheOneBumGun
Why are FPSers so popular you think? I have never had that much fun with them apart from 2 or 3 but they seem to be one of if not the most popular type of games.

MooCowofJustice
Because every new person who's ever picked up a controller at a friend's house and played Halo for 30 minutes thinks they're good at FPS games, so they proceed to buy only FPS games, proclaiming their supremacy.

At least that's what happens at my school.

srankmissingnin
Because there is no story (for the most part), and you can pretty much turn off your brain, sit back and have a good time whether you can play for 15 minutes or you can play for the next four hours. It doesn't require the same level of commitment as a lot of games so you can pretty much jump right in and play with your pals.

Halo is popular because Master Chief wears a mask and 12 year old boys can play make believe and pretend they are a Spartan. evil face

Nemesis X
One of the most important reasons for liking FPS games is that they make you feel like the character since you never see their face and the only things you can see are the hands and the weapons they're holding.

Juk3n
Originally posted by TheOneBumGun
Why are FPSers so popular you think? I have never had that much fun with them apart from 2 or 3 but they seem to be one of if not the most popular type of games.

immersion, is the answer, a good fps really immerses you because you see the game through eyes, rather than a camera - more or less. Also helps because when you mess up, you KNOW it;s because you missed somthing , it's your own error, and you take the blame rather than screaming at the shite camera controls that didnt show an enemy in a certain part of the level or somthing.

IMO ofcourse.

~:Mr.Anderson:~
Mainly the reason i love the camera is I pick what i look at. It's alot better than some third person cameras, for instance: lara croft, and you see what you want to, not what the devs wanted you too, adding a sense of freedom to even a very linear game like hl2.

Also, it's very hard to make a good third person camera, meaning alot of third person games just naturally fail; whereas fps is simple and does not detract from the other things the devs wanted you to experience.

Immersion is far less important to me than being able to fire at my enemy from the angle i want to while moving in the angle i want to and using the weapon i want to, but of course this could be taken into consideration too. You feel alot more like the character when you don't see their face, maybe why bethesda chooses to make their elder scrolls games in first person view rather than the infinitively more popular rpg choices of birdseye and third person. I often find myself thinking of gordon freeman as myself due to the lack of personality i can replace with my own.

SaTsuJiN
My personal take, is that FPS always provides a visual acuity exercise on a constant basis.. its very enriching for the reflexes and coordination together.. at least IMO..

I love flying out from around the corner and dealin out pinpoint accurate hot death.. or even if I suck.. the road to get to "good" and "great" is extremely fun..

§P0oONY
Shooting people is a lot of fun. Simple as that.

Wolverine2179
Very few FPS actually interest me, the COD series(cod4, WAW, MW2) are some of the only fps that ever made me interested.

CS, HL2 and quite a number of others are boring imo.

TheOneBumGun
I never felt like I am playing as the character or felt connected to the character because he is me so maybe thats why I just find them boring on a whole.

Originally posted by Wolverine2179

HL2 and quite a number of others are boring imo. gtfo. hl2 is a masterpiece.

I never felt like I am playing as the character or felt connected to the character because he is me so maybe thats why I just find them boring on a whole. well, what fps have you played?

BackFire
They're straight forward and usually easy to grasp. In essence, you point and shoot.

They are also usually the most graphically advanced games. When you hear about a new game coming out that pushes the graphics of a system or an era to new heights, it's usually a shooter.

Also they're purely skill and reflex based. Everyone starts out (for the most part) on even footing and must rely on their own speed and strategies to become good, as opposed to some games where you don't really get 'good' but your character just gets better thus making the game easier and making him better by proxy.

Smasandian
I also find it the best way to tell a story.

Everybody can talk about how RPG's have good stories. They do but I find FPS tell them the best, especially if their made by Valve and Monolith.

Spartan005
To me its probably because FPS games have the best gameplay in general. Think about a third person shooter for a second... what is there to do?

Sprint - hide behind cover- fire/blind fire- do a fancy roll move - get behind cover some more and keep shooting

Where as in an FPS you have probably 5 times the amount of ways to take down an enemy and usually more weapons as well

FPS are also easier to jump right into unlike other games that require you to read the instructions or go through a tutorial (yes this only takes a matter of minutes but people really are that lazy)

BackFire
Originally posted by Smasandian
I also find it the best way to tell a story.

Everybody can talk about how RPG's have good stories. They do but I find FPS tell them the best, especially if their made by Valve and Monolith.

Well they certainly have the capacity and potential for great stories. Like you said, Valve proves what is possible with storytelling and character development within an FPS game.

Sadly most devs are satisfied just making another generic shoot-first-think-never experience and so FPS games get propagated as being mindless and without plot by those who aren't wholly familiar with them, because they think they are all like Halo or some other game with a story from Generic action movie 101.

Smasandian
True.

Playing the Half Life series opened up how stories can be told through the first person perspective.

Even though you kind of lose any sort of character interaction because you generally don't communicate with them, or when you do, the voice work is a bit disjarring. I always felt FPS stories are more about feeling than it is about plot and characters. In Half Life, you feel lonely inside that massive complex while if it was an RPG, you would get a different feeling all together.

i think I also forgot to mention that its more realistic. If you were actually in this combat situation, you would be in first person!

TheOneBumGun
Originally posted by ~:Mr.Anderson:~
well, what fps have you played? I have tried loads over the years and none have really got me interested. The ones I do play occasionally are Halo 3 and Resistance 2. Both on MP. I play for 1 match/20 minutes and go do something else.

occultdestroyer
I never really liked them.
They tend to be redundant, and gets boring quickly.
Replay value is poor. The only reason why I'd play it is to engage in multiplayer combat just to "socialize" with other players.

And most FPS rarely have a good storyline, if at all.
The plot is there, but the storyline lacks depth. Needs more scenario, alternate endings, character development, etc.

And it's not even realistic as some claimed it to be. It's not even identical to the human vision; our eyes can move faster than our hands, or vice versa (reflex), NOT simultaneously all the time in one stationary position (FPS in general have a center crosshair. Um... we can move our hands freely).

It's only strength is multiplayer matches, where you can play with friends. It can also be a means to "fit in" with your community of gamers.
There's no sense of accomplishment, unlike RPGs or Adventure games, imho.

In MOST RPGs, the storylines can be deeply moving, and sometimes the story can be an unforgettable experiece.
It requires careful thinking, analysis, decisions which make you feel a sense of accomplishment once you finish the game.

Tsal Can
gtfo. hl2 is a masterpiece.

QFT

Darth Vicious
Originally posted by BackFire
They're straight forward and usually easy to grasp. In essence, you point and shoot.

They are also usually the most graphically advanced games. When you hear about a new game coming out that pushes the graphics of a system or an era to new heights, it's usually a shooter.

Also they're purely skill and reflex based. Everyone starts out (for the most part) on even footing and must rely on their own speed and strategies to become good, as opposed to some games where you don't really get 'good' but your character just gets better thus making the game easier and making him better by proxy.

Co-sign. I dont know u guys but I play shooters (Halo 3, CoD4) to relax. Get away from everything for a few hours. While not quiet a social site, u get to meet cool people every now and then. A lot of assholes too. I've also a few people on XBL that becames friends with them even outside the game. The only thing with Halo 3 is that a lot of ppl care way too much about their rankings while in CoD4 not so much.

I have tried loads over the years and none have really got me interested. The ones I do play occasionally are Halo 3 and Resistance 2. Both on MP. I play for 1 match/20 minutes and go do something else. well there's your problem! ever tried half life 2? halo 3 is fun online, but the campaign sucks and its a very basic engine. Resistance just... yea... i didn't like that one at all.

Wolverine2179
I did play HL2 but personally i wasn't really drawn into it, it could be maybe that i played too little of HL2.

I did however enjoy the **** out of the original half life and half life: opposing fronts.

Smasandian
How far did you play in Half Life 2?

I find it strange that you like the original and the first expansion pack but not Half Life 2.

Ridley_Prime
Originally posted by occultdestroyer
Replay value is poor.
blink

First_Tsurugi06
In all honesty, the only FPS games today that I can say I genuinely like is Killzone (1 and 2). Reason being, I'm not sure, but it just stuck with me better than any other FPS I gave a chance.

The FPS genre has not only been severely overused this generation, but just the function of first person itself never deserved to become a genre in the first place imho. I live my real life in a first-person perspective, and to play a video game with the same kind isn't my idea of immersive or accessible, or even original. I call it restrictive, the kind that I don't need in video games. That, and as far as the emphasis on multiplayer is concerned, I only ever see that people play it because they either already finished the campaign modes and have friends who did as well (which, as Occult said, lack replay value. Especially compared to select Action-Adventure titles), or they suck at campaign modes in the first place (which I find kind of ironic in a certain light). Turn-based combat is the only thing I find myself equally tired of.

I did play HL2 but personally i wasn't really drawn into it, it could be maybe that i played too little of HL2.

I did however enjoy the **** out of the original half life and half life: opposing fronts. how far did you get?

you should try again, make sure you are playing hl2, not hl2 episode 1 or 2. The first little bit is kind of boring for a while, but as soon as you get to the airboat (probably an hour or two in) its a flippin thrill ride from then on. Episode 1, not so good; slightly anticlimactic, but i loved episode 2.

I am the exact opposite, btw, i really found hl1 to be boring whereas hl2 explodes with fun, luls, awesome, and win.

Mairuzu
Originally posted by srankmissingnin
Halo is popular because Master Chief wears a mask and 12 year old boys can play make believe and pretend they are a Spartan. evil face I'm 21, okay uhuh

Ridley_Prime
Originally posted by First_Tsurugi06
In all honesty, the only FPS games today that I can say I genuinely like is Killzone (1 and 2). Reason being, I'm not sure, but it just stuck with me better than any other FPS I gave a chance.

The FPS genre has not only been severely overused this generation, but just the function of first person itself never deserved to become a genre in the first place imho. I live my real life in a first-person perspective, and to play a video game with the same kind isn't my idea of immersive or accessible, or even original. I call it restrictive, the kind that I don't need in video games. That, and as far as the emphasis on multiplayer is concerned, I only ever see that people play it because they either already finished the campaign modes and have friends who did as well (which, as Occult said, lack replay value. Especially compared to select Action-Adventure titles), or they suck at campaign modes in the first place (which I find kind of ironic in a certain light). Turn-based combat is the only thing I find myself equally tired of.
Explain then how they lack replay value. smile

First_Tsurugi06
Among other things, for me personally, it's the:
-Commonly short lengths.
-Particular lack of depth, but also lack of accessibility.
-Largely forgettable characterization.
-Often scarce in the new game plus department afaik
-Also afaik, most DLC is saved almost specifically for multiplayer

Originally posted by Mairuzu
I'm 21, okay uhuh

Which, when switched, is 12 http://images.killermovies.com/forums/customsmilies/131.gif

Wolverine2179
How far did you play in Half Life 2?

I find it strange that you like the original and the first expansion pack but not Half Life 2.

@anderson

LOL not that far at all, i think i was barely out of the first city or so.

What i'm saying is that i didn't play it far enough to like it because i know HL2 is an epic and fantastic game based on the earlier games i have played, just that i didn't play long enough.

@anderson

LOL not that far at all, i think i was barely out of the first city or so.

What i'm saying is that i didn't play it far enough to like it because i know HL2 is an epic and fantastic game based on the earlier games i have played, just that i didn't play long enough. ah i see, i thought you said you found it boring.

anyway, the airboat is at the end of the first city :/

SaTsuJiN
Yay, first person shooters~
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.joystiq.com/media/2006/09/gow_wru_headshot.gif

First_Tsurugi06
It doesn't help Gears of War is an over-the-shoulder perspective third person shooter that so happens to have weapons used in first person, in this case, incidentally in the only situations where first person is ever useful and/or necessary. In other words, games like Gears, MGS, and RE4 know how to handle first-person: as a minor gameplay element made specifically for certain weapons.

It doesn't help Gears of War is an over-the-shoulder perspective third person shooter that so happens to have weapons used in first person, in this case, incidentally in the only situations where first person is ever useful and/or necessary. In other words, games like Gears, MGS, and RE4 know how to handle first-person: as a minor gameplay element made specifically for certain weapons. I share the exact opposite opinion, i'm afraid. halo 3 knows exactly how to handle third person, as a minor gameplay element used for vehicles and really big weapons.

First_Tsurugi06
Doesn't help that games in third person have handeld first person better than Halo has vice versa. Hell, normally too, for that matter.

Doesn't help that games in third person have handeld first person better than Halo has vice versa. Hell, normally too, for that matter. you are making two huge generalizations based on the best of one genre and the worst of another.

Source is better then any other shooter. Just the physics engine is better than any other shooter. and its fps.

Smasandian
Doesn't help that games in third person have handeld first person better than Halo has vice versa. Hell, normally too, for that matter.

Halo handles first person much better than Gears Of War.

As much I don't like some aspects of Halo like their quality of single player level design, they do one thing extremely well. They make a very good shooter in terms of mechanics. Outside of Infinity Ward, Bungie is the best.

TheOneBumGun
I would love a third person Halo game. Being Chief would be awesome.

Or a Halo/FPS GOW type game.

wasd games will always have the best controls.

ArtificialGlory
wasd games will always have the best controls.

Funny. I play SF4 with wasd... well, actually just asd.

First_Tsurugi06
Halo handles first person much better than Gears Of War.

As much I don't like some aspects of Halo like their quality of single player level design, they do one thing extremely well. They make a very good shooter in terms of mechanics. Outside of Infinity Ward, Bungie is the best.

Which handles third-person much better than Halo.

I'll only say to that that I won't deny your confidence for Infinity Ward, mostly because I can't say I've played CoD (that's what Infinity Ward makes to my memory) enough to have an actual opinion.

Smasandian
Which handles third-person much better than Halo.

I'll only say to that that I won't deny your confidence for Infinity Ward, mostly because I can't say I've played CoD (that's what Infinity Ward makes to my memory) enough to have an actual opinion.

I agree with that.

But I do not agree when you said most third person shooters handle first person better than most first person shooters.

That is not correct.

Overdose
Golden Eye and the Halos are the only FPS I ever liked. The rest of'em blow to me and I never understood why catz go nuts over these game.

Mandrag Ganon
FPS games are fast-pased easy to get into and keep you entertained for hours, unlike other forms of gaming which take time to get into.

Personally, though I play more FPS games, it is down on my list of favorite game types. RTS tops the list followed by RPGs (JRPGs and Western RPGs, I don't get into that whole eastern vs. western crap.) then Action Adventure, followed by shooters (FPS), shooters (Third-person) racing, Fighting (Mortal Combat, Street Fighter, etc.) party games (Mario Party), and lastly sports (NBA, NFL, NHL, etc).

Originally posted by occultdestroyer
And it's not even realistic as some claimed it to be. It's not even identical to the human vision; our eyes can move faster than our hands, or vice versa (reflex), NOT simultaneously all the time in one stationary position (FPS in general have a center crosshair. Um... we can move our hands freely).

Well, you have to admit. At this moment in technology, there isn't much you can do about that. FPS games get as close to reality as they can under the limitations of the Television an controller. FPS games will never be 100% realistic.

SWblayde938
there pretty boring if u ask me, the only 2 i play is modern warfare and counter-strike, other than that, i really have no interest in them

Nemesis X
To me, I sometimes find FPS games to be the same but with different skin but somehow still are very addictive to play.

Quincy
Alot of people don't have the imagination to play through anything but.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.