Iphone vs Blackberry

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Vinny Valentine
I'm looking to buy one in the upcoming week, and I'm looking to hear some testimonials from members on the forum to how each phone has treated them, if they have had them; which I am positive many have.

I can pay for either phone without any issue at all, but I want a phone that will: A) Be good for all my information and dates, as I am working with a political official for the next year, B) Keep me entertained when I'm off work, and C) Be reliable, efficient, and not break on me the second day.

Also, opinions on the providers service you had, or have heard of would be appreciated.

So, here is the almighty phone smart-phone debate - Iphone vs Blackberry.

vincent

inimalist
god, I feel mad old even asking this, but...

do either of them have PDF readers? is this a basic function that I'm going to look stupid for asking about?

Symmetric Chaos
Depends on if you want a be a tool that only follows what's "hip" or a tool that worships Obama.

Darth Macabre
Originally posted by Vinny Valentine
Also, opinions on the providers service you had, or have heard of would be appreciated

Pretty sure you can only have AT&T with the Iphone.

chomperx9
G2 phone FTW

~:Mr.Anderson:~
blackberry is for business, iphone is for games and music and looking gay.

§P0oONY
Originally posted by Darth Macabre
Pretty sure you can only have AT&T with the Iphone. Negative, my friend bought his Iphone in Singapore unlocked.

jaden101
Get a Nokia N97. Far superior in every way to the iphone and has most of the functionality of a blackberry.

AngryManatee
Iphone is nothing without baby shaker app. Get blackbaeery.

Bardock42
Get any Android phone. The G2 does look pretty sweet, I'd probably get the Samsung I7500 or wait for the HTC Tagtoo if I got a phone right now.

If you have to get one or the other though, get a Blackberry, iPhones are dreadful, dreadful phones in many ways, and Apple factually hates its customers (most of them are dolts so it is fair enough, I suppose)

Otherwise I also heard a lot of good things about the N97 Jaden favours, it does sound like a good phone.

dadudemon
iPhone pretty much rules it all.

inimalist, Blackberry's can read .pdfs if you add software that can do it. My users have the software called "beamberry."

~The Wickerman~
IPhone can come in almost anything other than AT&T depending where you purchase it from, and it can also be unlocked.

I would suggest the Blackberry if you're completely set on having one of those two.

If not, I suggest any other smart phone, with HTC being the absolute best.

http://www.gsmarena.com/htc-phones-45.php

Anything you see on that link is as good or better than either IPhone, or Blackberry.

They also look kickass but in a casual, diplomatic sort of way. thumb up

Sancty
http://xiaxue.blogspot.com/2009/07/how-many-times-do-i-have-to-say-it-i.html coot

But ja Nokia N97

inimalist
Originally posted by dadudemon
inimalist, Blackberry's can read .pdfs if you add software that can do it. My users have the software called "beamberry."

huh, that would be the deciding factor for me...

still like tablet PCs though...

Bardock42
Originally posted by inimalist
huh, that would be the deciding factor for me...

still like tablet PCs though...

Blackberrys can just as well, so can Android phones and N97.

Most need you to download apps for it though.

inimalist
sick smile

EDIT: I was reading about the new Androids, and how it is pretty much Motorola's (that the manufacturer, yes?) last kick at the can. Weird how Apple and Blackberry were able to dominate a market so quickly, even though it was already jam packed with products.

~The Wickerman~
sick smile

EDIT: I was reading about the new Androids, and how it is pretty much Motorola's (that the manufacturer, yes?) last kick at the can. Weird how Apple and Blackberry were able to dominate a market so quickly, even though it was already jam packed with products.

Nothing weird about it. Blackberry quickly became the best known "smart phone" because it has a catchy name and was featured in several TV shows when it came out, and the IPhone was backed up by Apple who have enough funds for advertising to buy their own third world country. It was shoved down consumer's throats until it became an icon.

It's just good advertising on their parts. Even so, Blackberry's got NOTHING on the HTCs.

inimalist
lol, I didn't say I didn't understand it, just funny how things work like that.

Major phone companies got into a trend of smaller, more features, do the same things only better, whereas blackberry and apple filled the next "evolutionary" niche in the cell phone market.

I still probably wont buy anything until there are literal palm PCs, or at the very least, something with the gaming capability of a psp with a phone taped to it or something. PDFs were the big one, for work and such, but phones are still mainly for texting in my world... I should just get a 2 way...

Bardock42
sick smile

EDIT: I was reading about the new Androids, and how it is pretty much Motorola's (that the manufacturer, yes?) last kick at the can. Weird how Apple and Blackberry were able to dominate a market so quickly, even though it was already jam packed with products. There's a new motorola android out soon, I think. But Android is the OS, there are different manufacturers and they may choose to use Android on their phones. Blackberry is not that new, I mean they were one of the first to make viable smartphones, I think the first came around the same time the XDAs came.

It's quite amazing what Apple did, but that's really what they do best, marketing.

Robtard
Decent link to the top iPhone competition.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://applefinder.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/samsung-i7500.jpg&imgrefurl=http://applefinder.wordpress.com/2009/06/10/10-iphone-challengers/&usg=__ywgl7j_mWF7tWDshNR7T4xjOfJE=&h=795&w=500&sz=88&hl=en&start=3&um=1&tbnid=KDkjjrQ4fC3CoM:&tbnh=143&tbnw=90&prev=/ images%3Fq%3DSamsung%2BI7500%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26
um%3D1

inimalist
Originally posted by Bardock42
It's quite amazing what Apple did, but that's really what they do best, marketing.

my friends and I like to joke that Apple makes the best hardware demos that appear to be from the not-so-distant future.

RIM is actually just down the road from me, so Blackberries were a huge topic here, god, even when I was in highschool. I get that they aren't new, so ya, I'll even just stop pretending to know anything about the market and not put my foot in my mouth.

occultdestroyer
LG KM900 looks pretty neat

http://images.dailymobile.se/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/lg-km900-arena-15.jpg

Bardock42
lol, I didn't say I didn't understand it, just funny how things work like that.

Major phone companies got into a trend of smaller, more features, do the same things only better, whereas blackberry and apple filled the next "evolutionary" niche in the cell phone market.

I still probably wont buy anything until there are literal palm PCs, or at the very least, something with the gaming capability of a psp with a phone taped to it or something. PDFs were the big one, for work and such, but phones are still mainly for texting in my world... I should just get a 2 way...

What I did (even though I have a G1) is get this:

http://www.obocom.de/catalog/images/Vodafone%20USB%20Stick%20K3520%20VD%20HSDPA.jpg

A Huawei K3520...cost just about 40 Euros

Which I now use with my

http://smartech.blogetery.com/files/2008/09/asus-eee-pc-901a-blue.jpg

To go on the internet everywhere in the world as well as Text and Phone from my computer (well, any computer)

Yes, you may envy me now.

Bardock42
my friends and I like to joke that Apple makes the best hardware demos that appear to be from the not-so-distant future.

RIM is actually just down the road from me, so Blackberries were a huge topic here, god, even when I was in highschool. I get that they aren't new, so ya, I'll even just stop pretending to know anything about the market and not put my foot in my mouth. Apple are good at that, Microsoft and Sony have some mean skills in that too though, especially when marketing their consoles.

And I just love the name Research in Motion, I almost bought a Blackberry just for that.

inimalist
Yes, you may envy me now.

and I do...

I've said it before and I'll say it again, there is no money in science

Apple are good at that, Microsoft and Sony have some mean skills in that too though, especially when marketing their consoles.

I remember the ps3 launch, and listening to a bunch of IGN podcasts about it. imho, they butchered it, but I do get what you are saying. So much of producing stuff is about how you market it, almost to the point that the content is worth less than the message.

And I just love the name Research in Motion, I almost bought a Blackberry just for that.

as far as companies go, they have been really good to their community. They built a quantum computing center at the university of waterloo, they have built parks, and lots of stuff like that.

Its a good name too smile

Bardock42
and I do...

I've said it before and I'll say it again, there is no money in science

I remember the ps3 launch, and listening to a bunch of IGN podcasts about it. imho, they butchered it, but I do get what you are saying. So much of producing stuff is about how you market it, almost to the point that the content is worth less than the message.

as far as companies go, they have been really good to their community. They built a quantum computing center at the university of waterloo, they have built parks, and lots of stuff like that.

Its a good name too smile

Probably depends on the science and where in the chain you are.

inimalist
Probably depends on the science and where in the chain you are.

god, why is it that only my jokes need to be semantically proper...

jaden101
qg1ckCkm8YI

Another great use for the iphone.

dadudemon
Clarification: Bardock whined about my comment on the iPhone being misleading. I personally do not like the iPhone. When I said it basically rules all, I meant that it is dominating the market. When I walk into the movie theater before the movie starts, half the people are using an iPhone with various apps.

I am boycotting the iPhone because I think Apple and AT&T are jerks/nazis. I have AT&T because everyone in my family does so it saves me money. Even with the lowest family plan from AT&T, I still pay $80 a month. I hate that. I want to pay $40 a month. I could have just 100 minutes a month, and I would still not use them all. I have THOUSANDS of rollover minutes collecting. I hate that.

Yes, I know you can jailbreak your iPhone. I don't want hte headache of having to mess with that. Some say it's easy and easy to maintaint, others are stupid and update the software and mess themselves up. Meh. Why bother with the headache?

I may go with an andriod OS smart phone rather than become an iPhone sheep.

Robtard
Bunch of silly chimps, iPhone is a great phone. Sure there are others that are just as good or better, but it does its job well.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Robtard
Bunch of silly chimps, iPhone is a great phone. Sure there are others that are just as good or better, but it does its job well.

SHEEEEEEP!

Bardock42

It does it's job well, on the whole is mediocre though and overpriced.

Also, you support Apple..

Robtard
It does it's job well, on the whole is mediocre though and overpriced.

Also, you support Apple..

It does, don't find it mediocre, is overpriced, as most Apple devices.

No, I personally don't. The wife has an iPhone.

I own nothing from Apple. I wouldn't mind one of the new Mac laptops though, the aesthetics is superb, I'd install Ubuntu on it though.

Bardock42
It does, don't find it mediocre, is overpriced, as most Apple devices.

No, I personally don't. The wife has an iPhone.

I own nothing from Apple. I wouldn't mind one of the new Mac laptops though, the aesthetics is superb, I'd install Ubuntu on it though.

Lol, Apple can't even afford a second button on their mouses....lol

Vinny Valentine
I keep hearing American's have to pay $80-$140 a month for their Ipod.

Sucks for you guys, I can get mine for $50.

Robtard
Someone is probably spreading your buttcheeks and blowing smoke up your ass, Vinny.

Besides the regular phone plan of $90ish a month(for 3 phones), I pay an additional $30 for my wifes iPhone plan/data package.

So it would probably be $60-$70 just for her iPhone with the data package, though they make you get the data package to use the iPhone, cunting bastards.

BruceSkywalker
i have both

shiv
If you're happy with mediocrity you'll settle for iphone.

If you have a clear idea of what you want in a smartphone you'll find the ideal device with a little digging.

Vinny Valentine
Someone is probably spreading your buttcheeks and blowing smoke up your ass, Vinny.

Besides the regular phone plan of $90ish a month(for 3 phones), I pay an additional $30 for my wifes iPhone plan/data package.

So it would probably be $60-$70 just for her iPhone with the data package, though they make you get the data package to use the iPhone, cunting bastards.

Just bought my iphone. (I caved for apple, my bad)

55$ a month for my plan, which includes caller ID and Unlimited texting, and a 1gig dataplan.

Bardock42

55$ a month for my plan, which includes caller ID and Unlimited texting, and a 1gig dataplan.

Predictable.

Robtard

It's a great phone, so enjoy it. Has a nice touch-screen, you can get online, make calls and text. I assume this is all you basically need. I do hate iTunes though, always have.

Don't let the: "I'm not buying an iPhone because they're popular and I want to always seem like I'm against anything 'in', because that way I can feel unique, next to all the others that are anti-'in' like me, **** yeah" crowd.

Bardock42
It's a great phone, so enjoy it.

Don't let the: "I'm not buying an iPhone because they're popular and I want to always seem like I'm against anything 'in', because that way I can feel unique, next to all the others that are anti-'in' like me, **** yeah" crowd.

There are better. Like there are better Mp3 players than iPods.

Robtard
There are better. Like there are better Mp3 players than iPods.

Not saying there isn't, the iPhone does have it's pluses though (it's slim, aesthetically pleasing and the touch-screen is silky smooth); it really depends what your main uses for a smart-phone are.

I don't have a smart-phone, because I use my phone for two things, making calls and sending texts, very few of each month too.

Bardock42
Not saying there isn't, the iPhone does have it's pluses though (it's slim, aesthetically pleasing and the touch-screen is silky smooth); it really depends what your main uses for a smart-phone are.

I don't have a smart-phone, because I use my phone for two things, making calls and sending texts, very few of each month too.

Sure it has many subjective advantages, aesthetics, etc.

It does have very few objective ones, though. It is, by stats, definitely nowhere near one of the best smartphones.

Robtard
What do other smart-phones do, but do better?

What do they do that an iPhone doesn't?

Price of the phone(s)?

Can you tell this for 1-2 other phones?

I'll openly agree that I probably know less than you here, as I've done little research. I do believe the anti-Apple hype has grown too big for its self though. That link I posted, the pluses of those other phones weren't leagues above and beyond superior.

jaden101
The N97 is a smaller phone with a larger screen and slide out qwerty keyboard with D pad controller (for gaming)

It plays a larger selection of file formats than the iphone 3gs

It has a far superior camera and video recording capabilities

It wins of navigation software.

It wins of connectivity in terms of bluetooth etc.

It wins in terms of internet connectivity and access to online content that requires specific software...flashLite 3.0...In browser Java etc

Wins on memory as it has 32gb as standard plus upgradable using a microSD card.

The only thing the iphone wins on is user friendliness...Which, given that most people are tech retards, is probably why most people go for it over anything else. That and the "keeping up with the jonses" mentallity.

Robtard
When you say "wins", does it win slightly, or it is considerably better? Because those phones while very nice (I'd like one), they'r at least $125.00 more than the iPhone 3Gs. In short, does it win enough to justify $125.00?

Personally, the only real feature that stood out to me after reading that was the bigger screen, better nav and expendable memory. But again, the level of being better factors in, considering the monetary differences.

Bardock42
The following don't apply to all other smartphones obviously but they are still valid:

Price

Changeable battery

additional space through Micro SD cards

drag and drop synchronization

usable as external hard drive

more hardware buttons

hardware keyboard

no hard to use, limiting to one profile one computer, company specific software

That's what I thought of off the top of my head, I am sure there is more, though I must admit I don't know much about the 3GS, perhaps they solved some of the major issues.

Not to make you regret buying it, Vinny, I hope you are happy with your choice.

jaden101
Price depends where you are. The iphone is solely on O2 in the UK and so I was able to get my N97 on a better deal per month with less cost, more texts and more airtime.

It's considerably better in navigation in that the iphone doesn't have an app as standard although tomtom are said to be developing an app for it last I heard...Maybe it's out now, I don't know.

Oh...I was mistaken about screen size but the N97 is a far higher resolution. It's also 16:9 format rather than 3:2 so it's better for movie content.

You say you're only interested in certain features. I'd say that if you're not going to use most of them then don't bother getting either.

I use the navigation on mine because I work a lot in cities and towns away from home that I don't know well...Helps me get around.

I use my camera A LOT.

I use the new Ovi web apps a lot. (You can access content directly from your computer even when it's off using Ovi...I have absolutely no clue how this is even possible)

Robtard

Not to make you regret buying it, Vinny, I hope you are happy with your choice.

I believe he's still a gay, so he should be happy making calls, sending text and taking pics of himself on the iPhone.

Bardock42
I use "Nav4All" on my Android (free of charge) and it is beautiful and makes me jizz my pants.

Might be available for the iPhone and the N97 too though, not sure.

Robtard
^

Okay, you sold me; I'd get one, if I needed a phone for more than calls and texting.

You use the camera a lot? Seems it's true what groundskeeper Willy said about the Scots, you're all peeping toms.

Bardock42
Originally posted by jaden101
Price depends where you are. The iphone is solely on O2 in the UK and so I was able to get my N97 on a better deal per month with less cost, more texts and more airtime.

It's considerably better in navigation in that the iphone doesn't have an app as standard although tomtom are said to be developing an app for it last I heard...Maybe it's out now, I don't know.

Oh...I was mistaken about screen size but the N97 is a far higher resolution. It's also 16:9 format rather than 3:2 so it's better for movie content.

You say you're only interested in certain features. I'd say that if you're not going to use most of them then don't bother getting either.

I use the navigation on mine because I work a lot in cities and towns away from home that I don't know well...Helps me get around.

I use my camera A LOT.

I use the new Ovi web apps a lot. (You can access content directly from your computer even when it's off using Ovi...I have absolutely no clue how this is even possible) Ovi is an online platform I believe, so stuff on it should be unrelated to whether the computer or the phone is on. Similar to what google is doing, I believe, though I have to admit I didn't research much into Ovi.

lord xyz
Iphone is a novelty piece of shit.

Blackberry is a PDA without a touchscreen.

Get neither.

Bardock42
Originally posted by lord xyz
Iphone is a novelty piece of shit.

Blackberry is a PDA without a touchscreen.

Get neither.

...you don't know much about stuff, do you?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackberry_Storm

Blackberry is not just one device.

occultdestroyer
I bought the N97 mini as a birthday gift for myself yesterday.

Love it. Worth every cent.

shiv
K.

you'remakin'mejealous

inimalist
Interesting article about recent Iphone updates and how they have bricked certain functions of older iphone models.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/blogs-and-stories/2009-09-18/iphones-bad-business/

dadudemon
So, my wife was talking about getting new cellphones.

She said we should get the iPhone or Blueberries.

I lol'd. It was cute.

Bardock42
So, my wife was talking about getting new cellphones.

She said we should get the iPhone or Blueberries.

I lol'd. It was cute. I can imagine.

Does she get annoyed when she makes mistakes like that?

dadudemon
I can imagine.

Does she get annoyed when she makes mistakes like that?

No. She get's embarassed. Do you know people who get annoyed when they make mistakes like that?

Bardock42
No. She get's embarassed. Do you know people who get annoyed when they make mistakes like that?

Yeah, I do at times. Also embarassed of course. I guess it also depends how people that notice the mistake deal with it.

dadudemon
Yeah, I do at times. Also embarassed of course. I guess it also depends how people that notice the mistake deal with it.

Odd.

However, people with Alzheimer's do get annoyed with themselves for saying things wrong or forgetting things. So I guess I can see annoyance as a legit way of interpreting the situation.

Bardock42
Odd.

However, people with Alzheimer's do get annoyed with themselves for saying things wrong or forgetting things. So I guess I can see annoyance as a legit way of interpreting the situation.

I think so, too yes

Bicnarok

dadudemon
I think so, too yes

K.

Well, I voted Blackberry. They just seem a tad more useful and the newer ones are every bit as good. The one thing that the iPhone has is the massive amount of applications. However, the Blackberries are making a resurgence in the market, lately, and there is also a rise in user-made applications for Blackberries, but it is something like a 10th of what it is for the iPhone.

HTC sounds like a GREAT choice. I may also go with a phone that runs naively with Android.

I am going to buy replacement phone for my wife and I in October. I have AT&T. Does anyone have any suggestions for me, other than what I've named? Budget is not really a concern, but I want to keep my out-of-pocket expenses less than $600, total, for both of us. I can sign a new two-year contract.

Bardock42

Bicnarok

Bardock42

WhoopeeDee
I think I'm the only person in the world who loves the iPod but hates the Iphone....

Hmm...

Bicnarok

Robtard

Bardock42

Vinny Valentine
Well, I found out today that the employee who sold me my Iphone a few days ago lied to me about several differences between the Iphone 3G and 3Gs, having stated, "They're almost identical, go with the 3G" and having charged me the same cost for the old one as I would have paid for the new one. Having found this out, I have returned my phone, went to an associate at the store I actually know (And was gone, but is back from her break) and she set me up with a 3Gs for the same cost.

However, I decided to also add a package to my monthly cost, which brought my monthly fee up to $80, which is totally fine, I got a few nifty addons like Full Coverage for the next 3 years, Unlimited Nation Wide Texting, Texted Voicemail, Caller ID, and an extra gig of Data.

Overall, I'm still having a blast with my Iphone; now it just has a built in Video Camera, and GPS.

occultdestroyer
Congratulations with your new phone.
Have fun with it, as much as I do with my Nokia N97 mini.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.