America's Got Talent What A Crock

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

darthmaul1
I used to really like this show, but i am giving up on it now.
No way in hell should of that chicken farmer won against the opera chick.
He couldn't even carry a tune when he was singing with the chick in blue at the beginning of the show. He was terrible.
At any rate they shouldn't even allow singers on this show that is what American idol is for. (with the exception of something like opera which american idol wouldn't even touch.)
Don't leave it up to the viewers to vote, i swear they must just pick the worst just cause. the acro dunk guys should of been there till the end and even the judges i think were quite discusted when they were booted.
I think the only person that won that was truly a vegas act was the ventriliquist that one year.

inimalist
how are these shows even popular, and popular enough that people feel a need to talk about them?

celebrity worship is bad enough, this is like... god, I don't know, idolatry or something.

Tattoos N Scars
The only reality show I even like is The Ultimate Fighter. I saw a few episodes of the first season of America's got talent, but I didn't really care for it.

Edit: I take that back. I started watching Surviving Disaster. I can't remember the channel it's on...Discovery..maybe Spike TV. It's not really a reality show, but it acts out scenarios to instruct people on what to do if they were involved in a similar disaster(hi-jacking of a plane, nuclear detonation, trapped in a hurricane, etc). It is an interesting show.

Bardock42
Originally posted by inimalist
how are these shows even popular, and popular enough that people feel a need to talk about them?

celebrity worship is bad enough, this is like... god, I don't know, idolatry or something. I don't know.

I just don't know.

botankus
Originally posted by inimalist
how are these shows even popular
Two words: Mindless fatsos.

Darth Jello
This whole tv, get rich quick without slumming and suffering, usery and record contract scheme ultimately hurts the consumers. I'm sure that Kelly Clarkson has natural talent and that we'd get much better quality songs and longevity out of her if she were forced to work her way up through years of low level performing and recording, gaining experience through the grind than in going on a tv competition and shooting her way to the top. Instant fame, regardless of talent kills the quality and quantity of work of any performer and turns art and culture into entertainment fads meant for consumption rather than preservation.

jaden101
Subo's version of Wild Horses was pretty decent though.

botankus
Originally posted by Darth Jello
I'm sure that Kelly Clarkson has natural talent and that we'd get much better quality songs and longevity out of her if she were forced to work her way up through years of low level performing and recording, gaining experience through the grind than in going on a tv competition and shooting her way to the top.

One thing about performers like her, they can sing LIVE. Too many artists are "recording studio legends" and have zero vocal range on stage and often rely on computer bullsh!t to fake their way through a performance. Case in point, the BlackEyed Peas last Thursday night on NBC. That was atrotious, and the atrocity extends far beyond them.

Darth Jello
Originally posted by botankus
One thing about performers like her, they can sing LIVE. Too many artists are recording studio "legends" and have zero vocal range on stage and often rely on computer bullsh!t to fake their way through a performance. Case in point, the BlackEyed Peas last Thursday night on NBC. That was atrotious, and the atrocity extends far beyond them.

Link Wray did it with one lung.

botankus
There also weren't any reality shows when Link Wray was singing on stage, which was the basis of this mini-discussion....Kelly Clarkston vs. "Blue-Collared" Music Industry Whores of modern day.

dadudemon
Wrong forum. There is a TV Discussion forum elsewhere.

I don't watch TV. Everthing I watch is either from the internet or a disc.

Ushgarak
Moved.

MildPossession
I saw a clip of the winner singing and just wondered, how? Don't know how 'talented' he is though compared to the runner up.

What is with everyone calling her Subo now? is it too hard to call her by her actual name Susan Boyle... stick out tongue Or have I missed something and that is what she wants to be called?

Her version of Wild Horses is quite good.

jaden101
Cause it makes her sound like someone that Rangers signed.

And it's close to Sumo.

Ms Chelle
I watch America's Got Talent and Britain's Got Talent.

It didn't matter to me which of the 2 took #1 because both Kevin Skinner and Barbara Padilla were very well deserving to win. I don't think you can compare country to opera so it would have been hard to vote for either. I do think that he won because more people (I'm sure) listen to country then opera.

As far as American Idol goes, there is an age limit to who can audition where there isn't with these 2 talent shows. Last I checked singing is a talent.. so it works out. happy

Originally posted by botankus
Two words: Mindless fatsos. I'm not mindless.... shock

stick out tongue

basy132
I thought the show was ass when that fat opera guy won over Nuttin But Strings
should rename the show "America's Got Sympathy"

~:Mr.Anderson:~
Actually if you analyze the opera chick's performance, it is very amateur and she is having a hard time keeping her voice gentle when reaching for high notes. She is by no stretch of the imagination a opera singer.

As for Kevin skinner, I loved him, i thought he was a great guy with a very moving voice and acceptable guitar skills who deserved a break for once in his life. He did sing as well as any country singer on the radio today.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.