Superman/Konvikt free shot - Trinity writer Kurt Busiek's words on the scene

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Philosophía
Originally posted by Kurt Busiek
He was at least stunned, but only for moments.

But probably not out cold.

kdb

http://dcboards.warnerbros.com/web/thread.jspa?threadID=2000200586&tstart=0

-Pr-
ha-som

Kris Blaze
Then it's decided.

Superman wasn't knocked out.

batdude123
BUT TEH KERT ONLEE SED "PROBABLEE" NOT NOCKED OWT!!!!12@ HE COULDVE STIL BEEEN NOCKED OWT!!!!112@

guy222
Otay KB

Philosophía
Originally posted by batdude123
BUT TEH KERT ONLEE SED "PROBABLEE" NOT NOCKED OWT!!!!12@ HE COULDVE STIL BEEEN NOCKED OWT!!!!112@

Wanted to get one in before them, did you ? uhuh

Galan007
http://s1d4.turboimagehost.com/t/2140796_s1.jpg

ie. busiek's definition/portrayal of "stunned" must be a whole lot different than mine. ermm

Blanket
Stunned for moments?

And this is not a vs thread.

Galan007
my question is, how many 'moments' does a character need to be stunned for, before it's considered a knockout?

Philosophía
Originally posted by Galan007
http://s1d4.turboimagehost.com/t/2140796_s1.jpg

ie. busiek's definition/portrayal of "stunned" must be a whole lot different than mine. ermm Why would you say it's anything but stunned when he gets up almost immediatley in next issue's first page ? He let Konvikt have a free shot, was taken by surprise and fell down, stunned for a few moments, before he got right back up and continued the fight.

Originally posted by Blanket
Stunned for moments? Yes ?

Originally posted by Blanket
And this is not a vs thread. Penis.

srankmissingnin
A ref would have stepped in a pronounced that a win by knock out in the UFC. /shrug

Galan007

Philosophía
someone who is merely "stunned" doesn't usually look like this:

http://s1d4.turboimagehost.com/t/2140965_s1.jpg

fanboy. uhuh

I'm almost tempted to show you how a knocked out Superman would look like, but the idiots would immediatley jump over and post the scans in every other Superman thread. ermm

Like I said, he got punched, fell down, and needed a few moments (and I literally mean moments) to get right back up. The time it took him to stand up and now the writer's statement is what makes me think that he wasn't knocked out. If you look only at #3's cliffhanger (Hater!) then yes, you would most likely think he was knocked out, but later events would beg to differ, imo (and Kurt Busiek's stick out tongue)

xJLxKing
Post the scans and prove it. evil face

illadelph12
Looks like a one-piece with a biscuit to me.

Philosophía
You like Zod.

So you're disqualified from having an opinion.

Galan007

-Pr-
writer's intent always trumps artistic depiction.

Philosophía
church it up however you want, but at the end of the day..... superman still got nuckd teh fuk owt!1!!

thumb up uhuh

h1a8
someone who is merely "stunned" doesn't usually look like this:

http://s1d4.turboimagehost.com/t/2140965_s1.jpg

fanboy. uhuh

Yes they do. Ever watch MMA? If so then you've seen an opponent knocked silly to the canvas but still has conscience. Take a picture of the first moment they are laid out (eyes closed and everything). It would always appear that they were knock the .uck out.

Juntai
Man.. I tried tellin' em.

Galan007
Originally posted by h1a8
Yes they do. Ever watch MMA? If so then you've seen an opponent knocked silly to the canvas but still has conscience. Take a picture of the first moment they are laid out (eyes closed and everything). It would always appear that they were knock the .uck out. Originally posted by Galan007
church it up however you want, but at the end of the day..... superman still got nuckd teh fuk owt!1!!

thumb up

batdude123
facepalm

Galan007
^ joke much? kinda

batdude123
^ joke much? kinda

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh180/porters54/016-6.jpg

Galan007
that's what i thought. uhuh

batdude123
Shut up, loser.

Galan007
loser? says the guy with a manning sig/avy?

now that's just funny.

batdude123
loser? says the guy with a manning sig/avy?

now that's just funny.

Crossed the line, *****.

Galan007
heh.

i wuv u 2! haw-som

batdude123
uhuh

kgkg
Originally posted by -Pr-
writer's intent always trumps artistic depiction. From what he said it sounded like he wasn't even sure. "But probably not out cold."

Intent can only take you so far. WWH was intended to be unstoppable - . I really don't see why this would matter even if Superman was K.O'ed it was a bad showing considering what type of punishment he has taken in the past.

batdude123
Originally posted by kgkg
From what he said it sounded like he wasn't even sure. "But probably not out cold."

See? I told you.

psycho gundam
Originally posted by illadelph12
Looks like a one-piece with a biscuit to me. easily.

if konvikt was fighting him one on one, there definitely would have been a biscuit, or like...ten.

this thread isn't necessary, it's just self serving on the op's part.

-Pr-
From what he said it sounded like he wasn't even sure. "But probably not out cold."

Intent can only take you so far. WWH was intended to be unstoppable - . I really don't see why this would matter even if Superman was K.O'ed it was a bad showing considering what type of punishment he has taken in the past.

the fact remains, though, that he said probably not, rather than probably was.

Originally posted by psycho gundam
easily.

if konvikt was fighting him one on one, there definitely would have been a biscuit, or like...ten.

this thread isn't necessary, it's just self serving on the op's part.

it actually serves a purpose, as the konvikt thing is something people love to trot out when they have no other option. it wont stay open forever anyways...

Kris Blaze
Doesn't really matter though. Even if he was knocked out for a wholesome 3 seconds, that's hardly enough to warrant a win for Konvikt. Air Walker knocked out Thor for 3 seconds, and Thor killed the f.uck out of him.

Philosophía
See? I told you.

haermm

Galan007
it actually serves a purpose, as the konvikt thing is something people love to trot out when they have no other option. those same people can always trot on the fact that konvikt still collectively owned flash, green lantern, firestorm, vixen, black lightning with realitive ease.

hell, the only thing that seemed to be capable of putting konvikt down for any length of time was a gas batman synthesized from his own ship, tailored specifically to his species.

Originally posted by Kris Blaze
Doesn't really matter though. Even if he was knocked out for a wholesome 3 seconds, that's hardly enough to warrant a win for Konvikt. meh, the fact that it took both superman and dianna pounding on konvikt before he even began to weaken, tells me superman alone more than likely couldn't have beat him alone.

-Pr-
those same people can always trot on the fact that konvikt still collectively owned flash, green lantern, firestorm, vixen, black lightning with realitive ease.

hell, the only thing that seemed to be capable of putting konvikt down for any length of time was a gas batman synthesized from his own ship, tailored specifically to his species.

meh, the fact that it took both superman and dianna pounding on konvikt before he even began to weaken, tells me superman alone more than likely couldn't have beat him alone.

if only they would.

Galan007
if only they would. it's ok. hug

supes will have his day.

jalek moye

i think you misunderstood, by intent he meant what it says in the script and the artist drew it in a way that could be misinterpreted

-Pr-
it's ok. hug

supes will have his day.

laughing out loud

ExodusCloak
I think it's blatantly obvious that he wasn't knocked out considering the first page of the next issue, KB means stunned (dazed) as in when you deck someone and they're so shocked that you managed to floor them that they can't move. I also don't see an issue with the way it was portrayed artistically since it was meant to be a cliffhanger.

iceman24567
Doesn't really matter though. Even if he was knocked out for a wholesome 3 seconds, that's hardly enough to warrant a win for Konvikt. Air Walker knocked out Thor for 3 seconds, and Thor killed the f.uck out of him. laughing

Kris Blaze
meh, the fact that it took both superman and dianna pounding on konvikt before he even began to weaken, tells me superman alone more than likely couldn't have beat him alone.

Doesn't really matter how the fight would have or did turn out.

That one punch didn't warrant a win. The events preceeding that stunning blow do not matter.

Galan007
That one punch didn't warrant a win. The events preceeding that stunning blow do not matter. in the post of yours i originally responded to, you applied the instance where thor owned air walker after having just been knocked out by him, to the superman/konvikt instance.

...and it was mainly to that statement which i replied.

-Pr-
Originally posted by ExodusCloak
I think it's blatantly obvious that he wasn't knocked out considering the first page of the next issue, KB means stunned (dazed) as in when you deck someone and they're so shocked that you managed to floor them that they can't move. I also don't see an issue with the way it was portrayed artistically since it was meant to be a cliffhanger.

i know that, and you know that, but...

psycho gundam
it actually serves a purpose, as the konvikt thing is something people love to trot out when they have no other option. it wont stay open forever anyways... that's quite dubious.

superman didn't defeat him one on one, but when faced in single combat konvikt did tranq him with his knuckles. it leads one to believe that konvokt did have the power at least to do some damage. *shrugs*

but really at the end of the day, this thread, and kubert's politically correct "uncertainty" didn't clear it up at all. it's the uncertainty that keeps the incident alive. (i for one spoke of it like...twice once the issue was new)

srankmissingnin
That was almost certainly a knock out punch. A knock punch means due to force of the blow the brain has smashed around in the skull and temporarily shorted out the nervous system. Even if you are only out for a a few seconds, you are still out. Now... was Sups out for a boxing 10 count? Who knows, it seems unlikely but he was certainly out. IMO.

Gene Fullmer was still moving around and trying to get up when Sugar Ray "knocked" him out... Superman was more koed than that.

Blanket
Originally posted by srankmissingnin
That was almost certainly a knock out punch. A knock punch means due to force of the blow the brain has smashed around in the skull and temporarily shorted out the nervous system. Even if you are only out for a a few seconds, you are still out. Now... was Sups out for a boxing 10 count? Who knows, it seems unlikely but he was certainly out. IMO.

Gene Fullmer was still moving around and trying to get up when Sugar Ray "knocked" him out... Superman was more koed than that.
Ya, but, you ignored writer's intent, as well as being gay.

On another note, moments?
And on that note, that is on the other note, when does stunned equate into laying on the floor with your eyes closed, and arms ervrywhere.

Endless Mike
Konvikt is a beast anyway, if you have read the rest of Trinity

Philosophía
tells me superman alone more than likely couldn't have beat him alone. aweno

KuRuPT Thanosi
Funny thing is the artist depiction clearly seems to be that he was knocked out and even the writers words say "probably" wasn't knocked out. Yet, this is some kinda proof of what exactly? That he might not have been knocked out? So, we are back at square one and people will believe what they want depending on how the view the sequence. Others will have their bias shape that sequence to best fit the outcome they want.

batdude123
Originally posted by KuRuPT Thanosi
Funny thing is the artist depiction clearly seems to be that he was knocked out and even the writers words say "probably" wasn't knocked out. Yet, this is some kinda proof of what exactly? That he might not have been knocked out? So, we are back at square one and people will believe what they want depending on how the view the sequence. Others will have their bias shape that sequence to best fit the outcome they want.

starlock
Supes was KO'ed...its as plain as day.

Parmaniac
Originally posted by ExodusCloak
I think it's blatantly obvious that he wasn't knocked out considering the first page of the next issue

yeah but between these 2 issues he had 1 Week to recover shifty

Kris Blaze
in the post of yours i originally responded to, you applied the instance where thor owned air walker after having just been knocked out by him, to the superman/konvikt instance.

...and it was mainly to that statement which i replied.

Gotcha.

Galan007

-Pr-
Originally posted by psycho gundam
that's quite dubious.

superman didn't defeat him one on one, but when faced in single combat konvikt did tranq him with his knuckles. it leads one to believe that konvokt did have the power at least to do some damage. *shrugs*

but really at the end of the day, this thread, and kubert's politically correct "uncertainty" didn't clear it up at all. it's the uncertainty that keeps the incident alive. (i for one spoke of it like...twice once the issue was new)

what is?

i never said he did. and nobody is denying that konvikt was a powerful opponent.

busiek erred on the side of him not being knocked out rather than him being knocked out. that's the writer himself.

Originally posted by KuRuPT Thanosi

like who?

Philosophía
yesermm

Konvikt fanboy.

Parmaniac

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.