Is there such a thing as an ex-Christian?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

ushomefree

Ordo
Its not us, its THEM.

Shakyamunison
How do you know you are a "true" Christian? The person who later leaves cannot be distinguished from those who do not leave.

Also, what if a person leaves and then returns, are they a "true" Christian? Can a "true" Christian become a non-"true" Christian, and then back again?

This sounds a lot like your salvation is dependent on works, and that contradicts the idea that salvation is not based on works.

Thundar

King Kandy
By this definition, a true christian cannot possibly exist.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by King Kandy
By this definition, a true christian cannot possibly exist.

Not until the very moment of death, at least.

King Kandy
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
Not until the very moment of death, at least.
Furthermore, if god is false then instantly no christians were ever really christians... obviously a ridiculous point to hold.

Digi
Thank god we have ushome to dictate Truth to us.

roll eyes (sarcastic)

King Kandy
I, personally, would be lost in this world without his wisdom.

Digi
For a long time I tried to talk to him about his approach to topics and forum discussion. Not even trying to argue his points about religion, but just how to interact in ways that didn't come across as condescending and preachy. And the weird thing was, he seemed receptive, at least he stated that he wanted to better understand my points and such.

But of course it all goes ignored. Just like my even earlier attempts at religious debate, where contrasting points get ignored in favor of long diatribes. I'm not sure if it's willful or unknowing. Either way, I haven't read anything he's said in a long, long time now.

Mandrag Ganon

King Kandy
Originally posted by Digi
For a long time I tried to talk to him about his approach to topics and forum discussion. Not even trying to argue his points about religion, but just how to interact in ways that didn't come across as condescending and preachy. And the weird thing was, he seemed receptive, at least he stated that he wanted to better understand my points and such.

But of course it all goes ignored. Just like my even earlier attempts at religious debate, where contrasting points get ignored in favor of long diatribes. I'm not sure if it's willful or unknowing. Either way, I haven't read anything he's said in a long, long time now.

That seems to be a common thing amongst Christians on this forum.

BTW Digi, what forums are you modding now?

Digi
That seems to be a common thing amongst Christians on this forum.

BTW Digi, what forums are you modding now?

I'm a global now, so technically all of them. Officially, the general comic book forum, comic respect and movie forums, and the Spider-Man forum. Pretty much the whole comic section except Vs. and Battlezone, and the other individual character forums.

King Kandy
So now, people can't criticize you for trying to "mod the religion forum" anymore?

Digi
So now, people can't criticize you for trying to "mod the religion forum" anymore?

I think that only happened once.

But no, they can't.

smokin'

Shakyamunison
...Either way, I haven't read anything he's said in a long, long time now.

It's apparent that he has not been reading anything you have written ether. big grin

Also, I wish you were the mod for this forum.

Ordo
Originally posted by ushomefree
I hope this cleared up some of the confusion. Take care all.

Is there such a thing as an ex-gay?

LaughLiveScream
Well according to some branches of protestantism they claim you can lose you "salvation" others claim you cannot lose it.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by LaughLiveScream
Well according to some branches of protestantism they claim you can lose you "salvation" others claim you cannot lose it.

If they disagree with ushomefree's interpretation of the bible, then they are not a true Christian. wink

Digi
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
It's apparent that he has not been reading anything you have written ether. big grin

Right right. I have no problem with that.

Originally posted by Shakyamunison
Also, I wish you were the mod for this forum.

Eh, lil does fine. She just doesn't post as much. I'm one of the more active globals in terms of post count these days. But like I said, I can deal with problems from any forum. I just usually don't, because there isn't a need when there's a designated mod or mods for each forum. The comic sections and OTF is where I do most of my modding.

Shakyamunison
...Eh, lil does fine. She just doesn't post as much. I'm one of the more active globals in terms of post count these days. But like I said, I can deal with problems from any forum. I just usually don't, because there isn't a need when there's a designated mod or mods for each forum. The comic sections and OTF is where I do most of my modding.

I didn't know that. Thanks for the information.

siriuswriter
erm, first of all, i don't believe in black and white scenarios, i believe that everything is grey.

that being said. at a time, i was a true christian. i felt comfortable in that identity, i was really interested in learning more about the bible and why certain denominations believe certain things and not others.

but, i changed. as in, my mind progressed, my thoughts progressed, my brain followed those questions and realized that i'd never find answers, and that what was being said as the Truth were things i didn't believe. for example, when it comes to who jesus "saved" and who he did not, i started thinking about people who would never be given a chance to accept that. like, mentally ill people. how could they possibly understand the depths of all the meanings... and what about indeginous tribes that missionaries would never reach?

so i put that together with the thought that god is supposed to be all loving. i could put those two together; a loving god would not send someone to hell just because of the random chance of being born within distance of a church.

before, i truly believed. i found a more mature mindset that was much more comfortable and made much more sense to me than believing in god at the age of sixteen.

when i was a christian, i could never have forseen the events in my life that would make me come to my present conclusions. if i was able to see ahead in my life, maybe things would have turned out differently. if i hadn't experienced life the way i have, things might have turned out differently.... but they turned out this way, and i feel most comfortable with the spirituality that i have now. sometimes i look back and say how could i have believed that? if there was a way to look forward and see me today from back then i would've said how can i believe that in the future?

Digi
I think I may still be officially a Catholic in the Church's eyes, because I was baptized and confirmed. At least I've heard that. I don't know for sure. Obviously I don't really care about such distinctions, but it's interesting to see what the "minimum criteria" is for a lot of denominations.

BackFire
Yes, there is such a thing as smart people.

Oh I'm so funny.

Symmetric Chaos
I think I may still be officially a Catholic in the Church's eyes, because I was baptized and confirmed. At least I've heard that. I don't know for sure. Obviously I don't really care about such distinctions, but it's interesting to see what the "minimum criteria" is for a lot of denominations.

I believe the standard in Catholicism is to do something that separates oneself from the communion of the faithful.

Wiki also has a list of people excommunicated by the Catholic Church, you could check there just to be sure.

Mandrag Ganon
Really?

Aww... It's not a complete list. sad

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.