The Book of Eli

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Kazenji
Trailer

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=59487

jaden101
Soooooo...It's basically Mad Max 2 meets that new film about the angels fighting with Paul Bettany in it?

Robtard
Reminds me of the many 80's B-movies about good vs. evil in a post apocalyptic earth.

I'll probably see it, has Gary Oldman; that cat is the shit. Easily in my top-five favorite thespians.

That ACDC Chick
tis lookin very awesome mhmm

must see

Mr. Rhythmic
Looks really, really good. Takes elements of films we've seen before of this nature, but putting in some new stuff that'll make it stand out. Can't wait!

Tired-Hiker
Mila Kunis is in it, I'll go see it.

BruceSkywalker
this film should have been a dvd release

xJLxKing
Why?

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by xJLxKing
Why?

because it looks like total crap... i will know next wednesday when i see it

Tired-Hiker
I have a feeling it'll be good.

Tired-Hiker
So, I saw an advanced screening of this today, it was very very very good!!!! I will most definitely see it again!

Here is why it is so cool..... be warned MAJOR SPOILERS AHEAD, DO NOT READ IF YOU DON'T WANT THIS MOVIE SPOILED FOR YOU!!!

Hey folks, Hiker here.... I really didn't see this movie. I probably won't be able to go see it since I have a 9 month old baby daughter who my wife and I are constantly caring for. I'm not complaining or anything, it's just that's part of the deal; having a baby to take care of means going to a lot less movies. So hey, if you did end up reading this portion of this post, why not reply to my post by typing, "That movie sounds awesome!!!!!" or "Damn you, Hiker!! You had to spoil it, didn't you!!!" So anyway, now I'm going to write a fake part right here.....But the best thing about this movie is when Gary Oldman Heh heh heh. This will be great when people finally see the movie and decide to read my post. They'll probably either hate me even more, or mayble they'll think that my shinanigins are just good clean fun! Oh, here's another line of bullshit....which was probably the best scene ever filmed in movie history!!!

So anyway, nice job on reading this, I hope you enjoyed. This will be our little secret. wink -Hiker

jaden101
Originally posted by Tired-Hiker
So, I saw an advanced screening of this today, it was very very very good!!!! I will most definitely see it again!

Here is why it is so cool..... be warned MAJOR SPOILERS AHEAD, DO NOT READ IF YOU DON'T WANT THIS MOVIE SPOILED FOR YOU!!!

Hey folks, Hiker here.... I really didn't see this movie. I probably won't be able to go see it since I have a 9 month old baby daughter who my wife and I are constantly caring for. I'm not complaining or anything, it's just that's part of the deal; having a baby to take care of means going to a lot less movies. So hey, if you did end up reading this portion of this post, why not reply to my post by typing, "That movie sounds awesome!!!!!" or "Damn you, Hiker!! You had to spoil it, didn't you!!!" So anyway, now I'm going to write a fake part right here.....But the best thing about this movie is when Gary Oldman Heh heh heh. This will be great when people finally see the movie and decide to read my post. They'll probably either hate me even more, or mayble they'll think that my shinanigins are just good clean fun! Oh, here's another line of bullshit....which was probably the best scene ever filmed in movie history!!!

So anyway, nice job on reading this, I hope you enjoyed. This will be our little secret. wink -Hiker

Yeah that part of it was amazing....Especially when the people that read your post decide to hunt you down and kill you for your sick and twisted humour

Scythe

I called it.

That ACDC Chick

lulz

Tired-Hiker
Originally posted by jaden101
Yeah that part of it was amazing....Especially when the people that read your post decide to hunt you down and kill you for your sick and twisted humour
Oh, I forgot about that part! eek! I loved that part too! Originally posted by Scythe
I called it. You predicted that plot line?? Kudos to you, man. I never saw it coming. wink Originally posted by That ACDC Chick
lulz I agree! It was a bit funny when Gary Oldman did that. big grin

Scythe
You predicted that plot line?? Kudos to you, man. I never saw it coming. wink

It was epic, my favorite part was when Oldman said: The word "the" and "us" because I love those words, which made me ask: there's a hippo somewhere in Malaysia, what time is it?

dadudemon
This is more like a religious story with the EXACT art direction of Fallout 3.

Not Mad Max, or any of the others.

Tell me, guys, does any of this look familiar?
http://xbox360media.ign.com/xbox360/image/article/913/913849/fallout-3-20080926100932108.jpg

http://xbox360media.ign.com/xbox360/image/article/913/913849/fallout-3-20080926100916532.jpg

Hell, even the clothes resemble the general concept of Fallout 3:

http://pcmedia.ign.com/pc/image/article/915/915081/fallout-3-20080930115031849.jpg

http://xbox360media.ign.com/xbox360/image/article/804/804784/fallout-3-20070713102449739.jpg

OH, lol, looks like someone else already noticed...and put together better pictures of it...lol

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/9/2009/07/504x_custom_1248533794043_eli.jpg

Edit - Well, after doing some google searching, looks like that was far from my original idea. I'm late to the party.

http://role-playing-video-games.suite101.com/article.cfm/new_book_of_eli_trailer_evokes_fallout_3

Robtard
Got Fallout 3, couldn't get into it. If it doesn't sell on ebay, may try to give it another go.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Robtard
Got Fallout 3, couldn't get into it. If it doesn't sell on ebay, may try to give it another go.

I own it. It's a good RPG.

I can understand why people wouldn't like it as it's one of the more complicated RPGs. There IS too much of a good thing...

That complexlity in the RPG system is why I don't like Elder of the Scrolls type of games.

The book of Eli looks good, BTW. I don't care that it looks like Fallout3..in fact, I think it's a good thing.

BruceSkywalker

i will give you my address so you can send it me big grin

dadudemon
Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
i will give you my address so you can send it me big grin

Don't do it! He will r@pe you!

jaden101
Originally posted by dadudemon
Don't do it! He will r@pe you!

It's not rape if you shout "SURPRISE".

movieshe
It is a funny show

jinXed by JaNx
i bet this movie turns out to be shit

dadudemon
Originally posted by jinXed by JaNx
i bet this movie turns out to be shit

...then that would stink....

jinXed by JaNx
Yeah, it really would. Like..,A lot

Mr Parker
Originally posted by That ACDC Chick
tis lookin very awesome mhmm

must see

yeah looks good from the trailer,just hope the movie measures up to the greatness of it.Already been dissapointed with Sherlock after seeing what looked like a great movie from the trailer.

BackFire
Movie was mediocre and had one of the dumbest endings this side of White Noise.

Tired-Hiker
I totally knew it would suck.

WickedDynamite
This is more like a religious story with the EXACT art direction of Fallout 3.

Not Mad Max, or any of the others.

Tell me, guys, does any of this look familiar?
http://xbox360media.ign.com/xbox360/image/article/913/913849/fallout-3-20080926100932108.jpg

http://xbox360media.ign.com/xbox360/image/article/913/913849/fallout-3-20080926100916532.jpg

Hell, even the clothes resemble the general concept of Fallout 3:

http://pcmedia.ign.com/pc/image/article/915/915081/fallout-3-20080930115031849.jpg

http://xbox360media.ign.com/xbox360/image/article/804/804784/fallout-3-20070713102449739.jpg

OH, lol, looks like someone else already noticed...and put together better pictures of it...lol

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/9/2009/07/504x_custom_1248533794043_eli.jpg

You know something? That was my first reaction as well. I kept thinking "Did the producers of this film played Fallout 3 and made it into a movie?"

For the record Fallout 3 ranks among the top 10 best video games of the past decade.

MildPossession
Crap reviews all round from the looks of things. What is the twist? apparently it's sixth sense like.

xJLxKing
I watched it yesterday night. Overall 5/10 + 2 because of DW

The Nuul
Damn...

BackFire
Originally posted by MildPossession
Crap reviews all round from the looks of things. What is the twist? apparently it's sixth sense like.

The twist is that he's blind

MildPossession
^ Is that serious or a joke spoiler? If not a joke, how does it fit into the film? why?

Mairuzu
I will forever ignore the opinions of others about movie flicks. This movie was pretty bad ass.

Looks like i get to enjoy more things in life than those of you who dont. I win!

Bardock42
^ Is that serious or a joke spoiler? If not a joke, how does it fit into the film? why?

Just read the Wikipedia page. I did, now I still don't want to watch it.

ikova
This movie is x5

dadudemon
Just saw the film last night.

Awesome movie. Solid 9. Better than Avatar.

I will see this again...a very rare occurrence for me.

Very few complaints:

Some bodies and placements changed from shot to shot. Missing wounds on some of the bodies. Some prop placement errors from shot to shot. There's was a story problem that is slipping my mind, at the moment...but I remember thinking it in the theater.

The interpretation of what a post-apocalyptic Earth would be like is much more accurate than most other films/books, which I liked.

Loved the music...

Loved the cinematography, for the most part.

I'll give a more in-depth review, if any are interested.

kevinash

dadudemon

Quincy
Mediocre at best.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Quincy
Mediocre at best.

That's why I rated it a 9 out of 10.

So far, it's the best movie of the year.

Quincy
You rated it a 9 out of 10 because it is mediocre?

BackFire

It's a serious spoiler. It doesn't fit into the film, just another forced twist ending for the hell of it. It's lazy and stupid.

Robtard
He's supposed to be a modern day prophet, protected until his job is done. I guess that included a "hyper" hearing sense which allowed him to almost see with echo location. There are several parts in the film that indicate that he's hearing like a bat.

So it's Madmax, meets The Road, meets Black Daredevil. Hmmm.

Mairuzu
Movie was pure badass

Robtard
Originally posted by Mairuzu
Movie was pure badass

Against my better judgment, I'm going to take your word for it and watch this.

SnakeEyes

Don't worry, he rarely makes sense.

As for the movie, it looks kind of "meh." Decent cast, maybe some good action sequences, ridiculous plot, etc. That's speculation, but that's the impression I got from the trailer and so forth.

Looks like a fun B-movie, which means I'll wait for the DVD.

Quincy
Pros: When Denzel is whipping ass

Cons: The ending with Mila Kunis acting badass. The **** is that shit?

dadudemon

You missed it. It was me being cheeky with you. Obviously, I didn't think it was mediocre. Obviously, you saw what I thought of the film before you posted.

Here's another example of what just happened:

Me: this food was awesome.

You: This food sucked.

Me: Yeah, that's exactly why I ate 5 helpings.

Originally posted by BackFire
It doesn't fit into the film, just another forced twist ending for the hell of it. It's lazy and stupid.

You do know there are little hints and goodies throughout the film that indicate that he's blind, right? If you didn't notice those things, rewatch the film when it comes out on DVD and it might increase your opinion of the film...even if just a little.

I guessed that he was blind when he bumped into that table at the beginning. Then, it was confirmed when he was reading with his hand always touching the book. I was like, "ZOMG! It's Braille!" Off the top of my head, there are about 8 hints (many more if you count multiple hints done in the same way in the same scene) before it's revealed that he's blind. There may be more and I just didn't notice them. It wasn't an unplanned twist at all, but rather, a planned out plot twist that warrants the movie at least a second viewing to catch all of the goodies, similar to Fight Club.

I think Quincy is right about the film, though. I liked the music, the story, and characters..but I did not like the little girl being all badass at the end...that was stupid and unnecessarily cheesy just for the sake of leaving it open to make another film.

xJLxKing

Cons: The ending with Mila Kunis acting badass. The **** is that shit? thumb up thumb up yes

BackFire
You missed it. It was me being cheeky with you. Obviously, I didn't think it was mediocre. Obviously, you saw what I thought of the film before you posted.

Here's another example of what just happened:

Me: this food was awesome.

You: This food sucked.

Me: Yeah, that's exactly why I ate 5 helpings.

You do know there are little hints and goodies throughout the film that indicate that he's blind, right? If you didn't notice those things, rewatch the film when it comes out on DVD and it might increase your opinion of the film...even if just a little.

I guessed that he was blind when he bumped into that table at the beginning. Then, it was confirmed when he was reading with his hand always touching the book. I was like, "ZOMG! It's Braille!" Off the top of my head, there are about 8 hints (many more if you count multiple hints done in the same way in the same scene) before it's revealed that he's blind. There may be more and I just didn't notice them. It wasn't an unplanned twist at all, but rather, a planned out plot twist that warrants the movie at least a second viewing to catch all of the goodies, similar to Fight Club.

I think Quincy is right about the film, though. I liked the music, the story, and characters..but I did not like the little girl being all badass at the end...that was stupid and unnecessarily cheesy just for the sake of leaving it open to make another film.

It doesn't matter. It's a twist that felt forced becus it was unnecaessary. A good twist shoud make me go "ohhhhh!" Not "uhhhh..." Any retard can thingk of a twist and go back into his script and implement litle 'hints' later on, very eesy to do In this movie the twist felt like a crutch, like something that was simply done to lazily surprise the audience, and I have no intention of watching it again to see the silly little hints because 1) I already know of them, and 2) because that's what they want, and the twist isn't complelling or complex or thoughtful enough to really warreant such a viewing. It's a simple novelty, nothing more.

Btw, there is a twist ending to this post. It's going to blow your mind Can you guess what it is? Did you catch all the cleverly implimented hints?

The twist is I can't type. Evidenced by my constant imspelling of simple wurds. Bam. Now reread my post and see if you can catch all my incredibly clever and subtle hints. There's your twist ending

dadudemon
It doesn't matter. It's a twist that felt forced becus it was unnecaessary. A good twist shoud make me go "ohhhhh!" Not "uhhhh..." Any retard can thingk of a twist and go back into his script and implement litle 'hints' later on, very eesy to do In this movie the twist felt like a crutch, like something that was simply done to lazily surprise the audience,

Oh, okay. I see where you're coming form, now. I thought you were one of those watchers (I watched the film with a large group...some didn't pick up on any of the hints, others did.) that missed it the first time around...or didn't care to pay attention because you thought it sucked so bad, from the beginning.

Then there's people like me that think it was intelligently done and it was delicious and enjoyable to see those tid bits, once I figured it out. I don't think a twist has to be shocking or create the "OMG!" moment. I think the movie executed it almost perfectly: it was quite obvious he was blind and the end just confirmed what lots of the audience was suspecting. His uber fighting/training to overcome his blindness made it all the more awesome.

and I have no intention of watching it again to see the silly little hints because 1) I already know of them, and 2) because that's what they want, and the twist isn't complelling or complex or thoughtful enough to really warreant such a viewing. It's a simple novelty, nothing more.

I sort of agree, but mostly disagree.

It's there in a similar fashion that it was in the 6th sense. It definitely warrents a second viewing. However, it wasn't as subtle as the 6th Sense, so in that aspect, it IS more of a novelty. Luckily, for me, there's far more to the film than the idea that he's blind It wasn't thrown in as an afterthought, it was artfully and intelligently done.

Mairuzu

Cons: The ending with Mila Kunis acting badass. The **** is that shit? I laughed at that part also hahaha. But it was the ending and you know where eli is. So i dont give a ****.

But to her defense. All she was doing was going home to her mother in Eli's clothes basically. ***** is gonna get raped out there.

BackFire
Oh, okay. I see where you're coming form, now. I thought you were one of those watchers (I watched the film with a large group...some didn't pick up on any of the hints, others did.) that missed it the first time around...or didn't care to pay attention because you thought it sucked so bad, from the beginning.

Then there's people like me that think it was intelligently done and it was delicious and enjoyable to see those tid bits, once I figured it out. I don't think a twist has to be shocking or create the "OMG!" moment. I think the movie executed it almost perfectly: it was quite obvious he was blind and the end just confirmed what lots of the audience was suspecting. His uber fighting/training to overcome his blindness made it all the more awesome.

I sort of agree, but mostly disagree.

It's there in a similar fashion that it was in the 6th sense. It definitely warrents a second viewing. However, it wasn't as subtle as the 6th Sense, so in that aspect, it IS more of a novelty. Luckily, for me, there's far more to the film than the idea that he's blind It wasn't thrown in as an afterthought, it was artfully and intelligently done.

I'm simply not a fan of twist endings in general. I tend to feel they are often used as a crutch to make up for a lackluster rest of the film. Though in this case I felt it was the opposite; the rest of the film was alright - fun and enjoyable, and I thought the ending was silly and even worse - pointless. It didn't actually add anything to the movie. You could take out the ending and not much would have changed. Rather than Eli being blind and the bible being in braille, they could have had the bible simply be full of blank pages, and Eli could see, but still had the bible memorized fully from his life prior to the apocalypse or something. And Oldman's character would have still be foiled just the same.

It just wasn't essential to the film. Didn't alter the course or the theme of the film, which is what a good twist ending should do. On the same token, a twist, while altering the entire course of the film, should feel organic and essential. After seeing the ending, I shouldn't be able to imagine any other ending to the film, it should be mandatory in order for the film's themes to be explored properly, instead of a "oh yeah? Well guess what? He's a ghost. BAM!" Most twists don't follow this course of thought, though, which is why I don't like most of them. Being able to think of something surprising isn't impressive for me. I'm more impressed if they're able to weave it into the very structure of the narrative.

Tired-Hiker

Btw, there is a twist ending to this post. It's going to blow your mind Can you guess what it is? Did you catch all the cleverly implimented hints?

The twist is I can't type. Evidenced by my constant imspelling of simple wurds. Bam. Now reread my post and see if you can catch all my incredibly clever and subtle hints. There's your twist ending

Oh man, I couldn't help but read the spoiler. It's crazy! I can't wait for it to come out on Blu-ray so I can read it again and look for the hints in high def.

starlock
It was an ok movie...i had allot of the same problems as some of the posters here....even though i caught the hints...it was not a good ending at all...it greatly lowered my whole experience of the movie.

dadudemon
I'm simply not a fan of twist endings in general. I tend to feel they are often used as a crutch to make up for a lackluster rest of the film. Though in this case I felt it was the opposite; the rest of the film was alright - fun and enjoyable, and I thought the ending was silly and even worse - pointless. It didn't actually add anything to the movie. You could take out the ending and not much would have changed. Rather than Eli being blind and the bible being in braille, they could have had the bible simply be full of blank pages, and Eli could see, but still had the bible memorized fully from his life prior to the apocalypse or something. And Oldman's character would have still be foiled just the same.

Honestly, I thought that my idea of him being blind was wrong towards then end there with Oldman starting looking at the pages: they looked blank, initially. So, I thought that was how it was going to end...foiling my guess, and making me look like a fool to my friends.

laughing

Yes, that ending would have been fine, as well. And when he cues into things with his hearing, and bumps into things, it would have just seemed like it was a "more real" take on filming...with mistakes.

But, I still like the current ending better because it makes him more badass...thought the "blank pages" would be better "pwange" against Oldaman's character. I take that back: it was better for him to get pwned by the blind slave mama. The "sting" would not have been as good. In order for him to get the complete "owned" even his slave/wife had to refuse him and insult him. It was a way to make up for how he mistreated her in the past, as well.

It just wasn't essential to the film. Didn't alter the course or the theme of the film, which is what a good twist ending should do.

I feel differently. Usually, altering the course of a film by a simple word, phrase, or small plot device, is quite lame and poor writing.

What it should do is elegantly change the interpretation of previous events while confirming little tidbits hidden throughout that would be revealed upon a second viewing (for most..some people like Bardock and myself have a nasty habit of guessing crap and pissing people off)

On the same token, a twist, while altering the entire course of the film, should feel organic and essential. After seeing the ending, I shouldn't be able to imagine any other ending to the film, it should be mandatory in order for the film's themes to be explored properly, instead of a "oh yeah? Well guess what? He's a ghost. BAM!" Most twists don't follow this course of thought, though, which is why I don't like most of them.

You see, I think every ending, including twists are always questionable. That's because I like to write stuff, myself. I always think about how a film could be improved...regardlesss of how good it was. I do that to both improve my own writing ability (lord knows it needs improvement) and also to see what could have been done better.

Being able to think of something surprising isn't impressive for me. I'm more impressed if they're able to weave it into the very structure of the narrative.

And that's exactly what they did with this film.

algo
Gary Oldman and Denzel Washington extravaganza, and these two helped this film to sail through.

shawn_michael
I was also waiting for this move and ultimately i have watched this movie. And i can say one thing that i want to see this movie again.

BackFire
Honestly, I thought that my idea of him being blind was wrong towards then end there with Oldman starting looking at the pages: they looked blank, initially. So, I thought that was how it was going to end...foiling my guess, and making me look like a fool to my friends.

laughing

Yes, that ending would have been fine, as well. And when he cues into things with his hearing, and bumps into things, it would have just seemed like it was a "more real" take on filming...with mistakes.

But, I still like the current ending better because it makes him more badass...thought the "blank pages" would be better "pwange" against Oldaman's character. I take that back: it was better for him to get pwned by the blind slave mama. The "sting" would not have been as good. In order for him to get the complete "owned" even his slave/wife had to refuse him and insult him. It was a way to make up for how he mistreated her in the past, as well.

Having the pages be blank would have been slightly less over the top, as well. A big problem with the ending is that it lazily implies that any thing that occurred in the movie prior that doesn't make sense or that could be seen as a hole is simply explained with 'god' giving him the power to do it. "Hey, if he's blind then how did he shoot that bird while it was flying without even taking a second to aim?" "god powers." "Hey, how was he able to walk right up to someone who was being perfectly silent and know exactly where they were?" "God powers". "Hey, how did he shoot that one guy through the chest with his crossbow thingy? "god powers". It's simply a copout.

I feel differently. Usually, altering the course of a film by a simple word, phrase, or small plot device, is quite lame and poor writing.

What it should do is elegantly change the interpretation of previous events while confirming little tidbits hidden throughout that would be revealed upon a second viewing (for most..some people like Bardock and myself have a nasty habit of guessing crap and pissing people off)

Well I don't think a good twist is simply a word or a phrase or a small plot device, obviously. If that's what the twist is then it's lazy.

You see, I think every ending, including twists are always questionable. That's because I like to write stuff, myself. I always think about how a film could be improved...regardlesss of how good it was. I do that to both improve my own writing ability (lord knows it needs improvement) and also to see what could have been done better.

That's fine. Point is though it should be essential to the film. It shouldn't feel like an afterthought. In this movie I felt as if the writer got maybe half way through the movie and then thought up the twist, then went back and added little 'oh he bumped into things' moments. It didn't feel organic, it didn't feel essential. Like I said, it felt like a novelty and nothing more.

And that's exactly what they did with this film.

Obviously, I don't agree.

dadudemon
Having the pages be blank would have been slightly less over the top, as well. A big problem with the ending is that it lazily implies that any thing that occurred in the movie prior that doesn't make sense or that could be seen as a hole is simply explained with 'god' giving him the power to do it. "Hey, if he's blind then how did he shoot that bird while it was flying without even taking a second to aim?" "god powers." "Hey, how was he able to walk right up to someone who was being perfectly silent and know exactly where they were?" "God powers". "Hey, how did he shoot that one guy through the chest with his crossbow thingy? "god powers". It's simply a copout.

In each of those circumstances, it was his hearing that allowed him to do that. I would say the most unbelievable of those moments was the shooting of the bird...however, that could be done.

There are actually humans that live right now that are blind and have slight echolocation at their disposal. Dead serious. Not to the extent of Eli's character, but enough to make you think they the person is not blind.

That's fine. Point is though it should be essential to the film. It shouldn't feel like an afterthought. In this movie I felt as if the writer got maybe half way through the movie and then thought up the twist, then went back and added little 'oh he bumped into things' moments. It didn't feel organic, it didn't feel essential. Like I said, it felt like a novelty and nothing more.

Obviously, I don't agree.

It wasn't just bumping into things. It was pretty much everything he did was by sound in some way. He heard things before others, as well.

Everything about his character was about sound. It seems that the whole premise of the film was based on him not being able to see, meaning, it was far from an afterthought, but the entire point of his character's "chosen one". It made his calling as a modern-day prophet much more believable and divine. This movie is obviously intended to appeal to the 70% or so of Americans that are Christians in some form or another.

If I were Muslim...I'd be a tad offended...lol

On another note, did you see any semblence to slavery and "white man" when Denzel got shot. He tried his hardest not to go down, bow to Oldman's character. It just seemed like a "proud blackman" moment and reminded me too much of some other scenes of a black man trying to not lose his proud in front of an a**holish white guy. I liked the scene, personally...and I wish he wouldn't have actually had to get down on a knee. The "proud blackman" continued when he rowed the boat until he couldn't do it anymore. I thought that was just one too many scenes with tha as we already established his pride as an "inexorable servant." It's stuff like that to prevents me from ever giving any film a 10 out of 10. NO movie has ever earned and no movie ever can.

BackFire
In each of those circumstances, it was his hearing that allowed him to do that. I would say the most unbelievable of those moments was the shooting of the bird...however, that could be done.

There are actually humans that live right now that are blind and have slight echolocation at their disposal. Dead serious. Not to the extent of Eli's character, but enough to make you think they the person is not blind.

Yes, the shooting of the bird was ridiculous, obviously. And no, it could not have been done by a blind person unless it was with blind luck (hehe). Except for one with god powers.

It wasn't just bumping into things. It was pretty much everything he did was by sound in some way. He heard things before others, as well.

Everything about his character was about sound. It seems that the whole premise of the film was based on him not being able to see, meaning, it was far from an afterthought, but the entire point of his character's "chosen one". It made his calling as a modern-day prophet much more believable and divine. This movie is obviously intended to appeal to the 70% or so of Americans that are Christians in some form or another.

If I were Muslim...I'd be a tad offended...lol

It more or less was just him bumping into things that were hints, and maybe a few times of him turning his head oddly. Nothing complex enough to convince me that these hints weren't just an extension of the endings grand irrelevance as anything other than cheesy schlocky afterthought. The premise of the film wasn't about him not being able to see. If he could see, the film still would have worked just the same, the same themes would have been explored (though the themes in this film are shallow to begin with so that's not all that important). It may have made his calling more divine, but I feel that's canceled out by the fact that it also made nearly everything he did more ridiculous.

On another note, did you see any semblence to slavery and "white man" when Denzel got shot. He tried his hardest not to go down, bow to Oldman's character. It just seemed like a "proud blackman" moment and reminded me too much of some other scenes of a black man trying to not lose his proud in front of an a**holish white guy. I liked the scene, personally...and I wish he wouldn't have actually had to get down on a knee. The "proud blackman" continued when he rowed the boat until he couldn't do it anymore. I thought that was just one too many scenes with tha as we already established his pride as an "inexorable servant." It's stuff like that to prevents me from ever giving any film a 10 out of 10. NO movie has ever earned and no movie ever can.

I think that's probably just because he has the same face as he did in that scene in Glory when he's being whipped, and tries to defy his white superiors with that 'proud' face.

The Butcher
I might see this movie,look's like a good plot AND action.

dadudemon
Yes, the shooting of the bird was ridiculous, obviously. And no, it could not have been done by a blind person unless it was with blind luck (hehe). Except for one with god powers.

lol

It more or less was just him bumping into things that were hints, and maybe a few times of him turning his head oddly. Nothing complex enough to convince me that these hints weren't just an extension of the endings grand irrelevance as anything other than cheesy schlocky afterthought. The premise of the film wasn't about him not being able to see. If he could see, the film still would have worked just the same, the same themes would have been explored (though the themes in this film are shallow to begin with so that's not all that important). It may have made his calling more divine, but I feel that's canceled out by the fact that it also made nearly everything he did more ridiculous.

No, there were more than those. Remember him cuing in on the rooftop snipers as he walked into town? He was memorizing their location. It was a foreshadowing of events that were to occur later. There were also several moments where he adjusted where he was shooting after shots were fired at him (cause he was, again, cuing into their location.) That happened in both shootout scenes, multiple times. There was also the clumsy way in which he retrieved items from his bag.

What you see as a haphazard rewrite of a script, I see as one of the most intelligent and attentive to details writing that tried to hide his blindness, but at the same time, make it seem unapparent to those around him in the world he lived in. This is why I liked it so much: intelligent writing, an enjoyable premise, great characters, and an excellent plot.

Also, that last part is where you and I diverge: where you see it making things ridiculous, I see it making things even better.

I think that's probably just because he has the same face as he did in that scene in Glory when he's being whipped, and tries to defy his white superiors with that 'proud' face.

Shit, dude, I think you're right. I guess that's what the call "subconscious recognition"? Such a complex thought from a very simple subconscious correlation: the mind is just fascinating sometimes.

BackFire
Plus he does that face in many of his films at some point.

Tired-Hiker
Saw this las night, I really liked it. I was very impressed with the sound design. The shoot out at the old house was really cool how the camera movements followed the points of impact where the bullets landed and the explosions occured. As I think back, it went very well with the surprise ending in that we find out he's blind.

I did think the ending was a bit cheesy, not so much that he was blind, but more so that he remembered the entire Bible by heart??? That was very far fetched, however it didn't ruin this movie for me, I still think it's the best movie I've seen in theaters in a while.

I have a better ending for this film, and it would have eliminated the whole twist where we learn he's blind, and it would have been far more believable than him remembering the entire Bible by heart. Here's my kickass ending: The book Gary Oldman ends up with turns out to be one of those make shift hiding places for a gun, where the shape of the gun is cut out in the pages so one can fit it in the book and close the book so it looks like a book. Then, the big surprise ending could have been that he downloaded The Bible, book on tape style, to his IPod!!! They practically set the movie up to end that way with all his talk about 'the voice in his head telling him...' That voice in his head would have been his earphones!!! Damn I'm good. Also, the charging of the IPod scene would have been more profound once we learned my hit surprise alternate ending.

dadudemon
Saw this las night, I really liked it. I was very impressed with the sound design. The shoot out at the old house was really cool how the camera movements followed the points of impact where the bullets landed and the explosions occured. As I think back, it went very well with the surprise ending in that we find out he's blind.

I did think the ending was a bit cheesy, not so much that he was blind, but more so that he remembered the entire Bible by heart??? That was very far fetched, however it didn't ruin this movie for me, I still think it's the best movie I've seen in theaters in a while.

Cool.

And, I'm glad we finally agree so well on a movie again.

Mairuzu

I have a better ending for this film, and it would have eliminated the whole twist where we learn he's blind, and it would have been far more believable than him remembering the entire Bible by heart. Here's my kickass ending: The book Gary Oldman ends up with turns out to be one of those make shift hiding places for a gun, where the shape of the gun is cut out in the pages so one can fit it in the book and close the book so it looks like a book. Then, the big surprise ending could have been that he downloaded The Bible, book on tape style, to his IPod!!! They practically set the movie up to end that way with all his talk about 'the voice in his head telling him...' That voice in his head would have been his earphones!!! Damn I'm good. Also, the charging of the IPod scene would have been more profound once we learned my hit surprise alternate ending. He spent 30 years alone with it basically. Would it really be that hard?

Tired-Hiker
He spent 30 years alone with it basically. Would it really be that hard? Yeah, it would dude. Trust me. I know. I know everything there is to know about everything.

Mairuzu
Well ****...

xJLxKing
laughing out loud

dadudemon
Yeah, it would dude. Trust me. I know. I know everything there is to know about everything.

lulz

Well, a little more seriously, I knew an old man from church that had our Mormon Doctrine and Covenants mostly memorized. I say mostly because he didn't have all sections memorized and some were incomplete. However, he did have close to all of it done. He said it took him years to reach that point.

The bible is like...10 times as long as that, but a person with a good memory should be able to memorize the whole bible with 30 years.

Tired-Hiker
I could see someone memorizing what happens in the Bible in general, but not as detailed at Eli seemed to have. I still think the whole memorizing thing was way too far fetched and they should have gone with my Bible downloaded in the IPod idea.

dadudemon
I could see someone memorizing what happens in the Bible in general, but not as detailed at Eli seemed to have. I still think the whole memorizing thing was way too far fetched and they should have gone with my Bible downloaded in the IPod idea.

Though it is a bit much for the average person to be able to do, it is not impossible. However, someone as mentally talented as Eli should have no problem memorizing the entire king James version. A good memory is hardly required for 30 years of practice. A photographic memory is not even close to necessary.

Let's put it this way: if Sarah Palin can memorize a couple of pages in a couple of days for a speech, an obvious fictional genius in the form of Eli can certainly memorize over 2000 pages in 30 years.

Alpha Centauri
So, the moral was that the book inspires good things.

These good things involve a man killing to protect the book, a man killing to find the book...when if the book didn't exist, none of that would have even happened...with Eli even going so far as saying that the book was said to have caused the war?

Did someone start writing this movie as a testament to faith and then realise: "Wait, religious faith AND/OR religious misuse actually causes way too much bullshit. Quick, write an ending!"?

Because that's certainly what it felt like.

I really liked the movie apart from the ending.

At least we now know who they should cast in the reboot for Daredevil.

-AC

dadudemon
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
So, the moral was that the book inspires good things.

No. The moral is that a book can be horribly evil and the real message of Jesus' teachings is to help the shit out of each other.

These good things involve a man killing to protect the book, a man killing to find the book...when if the book didn't exist, none of that would have even happened...with Eli even going so far as saying that the book was said to have caused the war?

No. Eli said that after the war, people blamed the book and they had a "hate the bible" fest.

Did someone start writing this movie as a testament to faith and then realise: "Wait, religious faith AND/OR religious misuse actually causes way too much bullshit. Quick, write an ending!"?

No, cause the ending change occurs a little after the 2/3 part. Eli even says that the book isn't the point, in the cooling tower.

Because that's certainly what it felt like.

I really liked the movie apart from the ending.

At least we now know who they should cast in the reboot for Daredevil.

-AC

lulz

Alpha Centauri
No. The moral is that a book can be horribly evil and the real message of Jesus' teachings is to help the shit out of each other.

So...basically what I said.

The moral was that the book can inspire good things, because that is where we know of Jesus from.

No. Eli said that after the war, people blamed the book and they had a "hate the bible" fest.

No, he said that the book was CLAIMED to have been the cause of the war, and I'm not saying he said it WAS. He said that it was claimed to have been the reason and that the books were burned as a result.

He never put such a spin on it as to say: "People went on a bible hating spree.".

The fact is, it's never explained how or why the book is believed to have caused such a devestating war. If it did, IF, then getting the **** rid of them would be justifiable cause. The one book that Eli had caused a shitload of people to die that wouldn't have died had it not existed. Eli could have gone around and done good things for people regardless.

It's not a movie that makes the best case for the bible, to be honest. It's the most ridiculous message to have: "The bible has some good messages.". Thanks...I didn't know that in 2010. "The bible can be bad if misused by ANYONE (Because killing people for it is as bad as killing people to get it, Eli was blind in more ways than one).". True, because I didn't realise that either in 2010.

No, cause the ending change occurs a little after the 2/3 part. Eli even says that the book isn't the point, in the cooling tower

My mistake, you didn't get that I was making a joke.

I enjoyed it up until the ending where it just didn't have a f*cking clue what point it was trying to make, and so it tried making the most obvious and most cop-out point available.

What bothers me additionally is the fact that Eli said EVERYONE burned the bibles, right? So obviously it was popular opinion that they were to blame (Whether they were or not is unstated). Why, then, does Terence Stamp's character think that religious texts are something that they need to be carrying into a new world?

It obviously didn't do a ton of good when they had them before.

-AC

dadudemon

The moral was that the book can inspire good things, because that is where we know of Jesus from.

No, he said that the book was CLAIMED to have been the cause of the war, and I'm not saying he said it WAS. He said that it was claimed to have been the reason and that the books were burned as a result.

He never put such a spin on it as to say: "People went on a bible hating spree.".

The fact is, it's never explained how or why the book is believed to have caused such a devestating war. If it did, IF, then getting the **** rid of them would be justifiable cause. The one book that Eli had caused a shitload of people to die that wouldn't have died had it not existed. Eli could have gone around and done good things for people regardless.

It's not a movie that makes the best case for the bible, to be honest. It's the most ridiculous message to have: "The bible has some good messages.". Thanks...I didn't know that in 2010. "The bible can be bad if misused by ANYONE (Because killing people for it is as bad as killing people to get it, Eli was blind in more ways than one).". True, because I didn't realise that either in 2010.

I enjoyed it up until the ending where it just didn't have a f*cking clue what point it was trying to make, and so it tried making the most obvious and most cop-out point available.

What bothers me additionally is the fact that Eli said EVERYONE burned the bibles, right? So obviously it was popular opinion that they were to blame (Whether they were or not is unstated). Why, then, does Terence Stamp's character think that religious texts are something that they need to be carrying into a new world?

-AC

Woah. That's a lot of post.

I ain't readin' all that. I did read the last part where you said that I didn't get you were making a joke. I'm not sure why you would think that despite my amusment with the joke in my reply.

Alpha Centauri
I made the mistake of assuming you didn't find reading text to be a mountainous task.

I'm full of mistakes today!

-AC

dadudemon
I made the mistake of assuming you didn't find reading text to be a mountainous task.

I'm full of mistakes today!

-AC

More like, I didn't find reading irrelevant points a enjoyable way to pass my time.

Bardock42
So, this movie is Black Daredevil starring in Farenheit 451?

Alpha Centauri
Basically.

More like, I didn't find reading irrelevant points a enjoyable way to pass my time.

If you didn't read it, how can you judge their relevance?

For such a details-stickler your posts have so many hotes.

-AC

dadudemon
If you didn't read it, how can you judge their relevance?

For such a details-stickler your posts have so many hotes.

-AC

'Cause my points shouldn't have had responses to them other than casual "lols" or joking "nuh-uhhhs!"

And, don't talk about my hotes like that. It's rude.

Rogue Jedi
wtf is hotes.

Alpha Centauri
It's a typo, but it's nice to know you came running to this thread to comment on it.

Very flattering, says a lot.

'Cause my points shouldn't have had responses to them other than casual "lols" or joking "nuh-uhhhs!"

And, don't talk about my hotes like that. It's rude.

Clearly I meant holes.

Also, what do you mean "Shouldn't have"? The world and forum does not start and/or stop at Dadudemon's say so, sorry to inform you.

I'm not RJ. My posting vocab does not begin with boobs and end with playground retaliation. Whatever, though. You're not gonna reply, so I'll discuss the movie with someone else.

-AC

dadudemon
It's a typo, but it's nice to know you came running to this thread to comment on it.

Clearly I meant holes.

Also, what do you mean "Shouldn't have"? The world and forum does not start and/or stop at Dadudemon's say so, sorry to inform you.

I'm not RJ. My posting vocab does not begin with boobs and end with playground retaliation. Whatever, though. You're not gonna reply, so I'll discuss the movie with someone else.

-AC

I meant, "Should not have..." with that.

Rogue Jedi

Clearly I meant holes.

-AC I was just kidding, man. And it's not boobs, it's bewbz. Gimmee your milk money.

Mairuzu

-AC Relax. You get more into it than DDM sometimes.

dadudemon
Relax. You get more into it than DDM sometimes.

lol

Robtard
Originally posted by Bardock42
So, this movie is Black Daredevil starring in Farenheit 451?

I was thinking more of Black DD meets Road Warrior with fewer cars, as I said in page 2 or 3. But the Bradbury aspect seems more correct.

Alpha Centauri
Relax. You get more into it than DDM sometimes.

Debates are debates for a reason. I've asked this to a billion people, but how would you have me act? How do people expect debates to be handled? Would it make you feel better if I sat here wearing a party hat?

Leave those who want to get into it, to get into it. Getting into a debate doesn't suggest a need to relax.

-AC

dadudemon
Debates are debates for a reason. I've asked this to a billion people, but how would you have me act? How do people expect debates to be handled? Would it make you feel better if I sat here wearing a party hat?

Leave those who want to get into it, to get into it. Getting into a debate doesn't suggest a need to relax.

-AC

It's always about teh bates with you, isn't it?

Rogue Jedi
I was thinking more of Black DD Daredevil is black?

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by Rogue Jedi
Daredevil is black?

Hahahaha.

I'm sorry, but how did you even think that question was credible? Of course he's not black. My goodness.

-AC

Rogue Jedi
So does this movie suck or what? I was planning on maybe seeing it tomorrow.

Alpha Centauri
So does this movie suck or what? I was planning on maybe seeing it tomorrow.

It doesn't suck, it just completely defeats itself. You may like it though, lots of explosions and Jesus stuff.

I'm hesitant to really recommend stuff to you, simply because you thought The Hurt Locker and Inglorious Basterds were shit films.

-AC

Ms.Marvel
IB was kinda lame imo. im glad i listened to your recommendation to watch moon th- oh wait you didnt recommend it to me. you snubbed me. sad

Robtard
Originally posted by Ms.Marvel
IB was kinda lame imo. im glad i listened to your recommendation to watch moon th- oh wait you didnt recommend it to me. you snubbed me. sad

Inglorious Basterds wasn't lame, it was fun the whole way through, you black-person.

Ms.Marvel
im only like 10% black >_>

Alpha Centauri

I don't even recognise your name.

-AC

Robtard
im only like 10% black >_>

"One drop of Negro blood makes you a Negro in these parts" - Showboat

Ms.Marvel
I don't even recognise your name.

after everything i did for you!

you said that we would be partners!

what parts? =O

Robtard

what parts? =O

Mississippi.

Rogue Jedi
It doesn't suck, it just completely defeats itself. You may like it though, lots of explosions and Jesus stuff.

I'm hesitant to really recommend stuff to you, simply because you thought The Hurt Locker and Inglorious Basterds were shit films.

-AC I retracted the "shit" part, I only meant they were not to my liking.

Ms.Marvel
Mississippi.

i saw what you said before the edit.

i was not impressed. >\

but i have no regrets!

Rogue Jedi
Mississippi. My kin are from Louisiana/Mississippi.

Robtard
i saw what you said before the edit.

i was not impressed. >\

but i have no regrets!

No you didn't. Stop lying.

Ms.Marvel
i am not CRE- oh shaz!

Bardock42
My kin are from Louisiana/Mississippi.

That explains so much.

Rogue Jedi
That explains so much. And they immigrated from Germany, which explains even more.

Bardock42
And they immigrated from Germany, which explains even more.

Oh yeah? Like what?

dadudemon
Oh yeah? Like what?

That you two are long lost relatives.

jaden101
Better discontinue the gay lovers thing then.

Robtard
Na, they can continue to pound away at each other, it's not like RJ will get pregnant and they'll produce an inbred butt-baby.

Tired-Hiker
Though it is a bit much for the average person to be able to do, it is not impossible. However, someone as mentally talented as Eli should have no problem memorizing the entire king James version. A good memory is hardly required for 30 years of practice. A photographic memory is not even close to necessary.

Let's put it this way: if Sarah Palin can memorize a couple of pages in a couple of days for a speech, an obvious fictional genius in the form of Eli can certainly memorize over 2000 pages in 30 years.

I'm still not buying it. It was hokie. And even if you are right, there is no frame of reference even mentioned or dealt upon when it comes to Eli's keen memory.

RocasAtoll
Was good until the ending. The twist was unneeded and took away from the rest of the film.

dadudemon
I'm still not buying it. It was hokie. And even if you are right, there is no frame of reference even mentioned or dealt upon when it comes to Eli's keen memory.

Except the part where he memorized all the sniper locations when he walked into town; memorized the voices and "walking sounds" of any person he ever encountered, and memorized over 2000 pages in the bible...

I'm probably forgetting the other items that he "memorized" or remembered, but that should give you an idea that he's pretty much Mr. Memory. You kind of have to do that stuff when you're blind.

Mairuzu
Remembered where the guys hand was when he chopped it off cause he kicked that shit after pwning the other guys under the bridge

Robtard
I haven't watched this yet and the lack of spoilers from you shit-stains pretty much ruined it, but I'm guessing he did all that with a keen sense of smell.

Ms.Marvel
i just got back from seeing this movie! spoilers-

i liked it smile and the ending wasnt that bad imo but i think thats because i knew what the twist was from reading this thread so i spent the movie looking for the hints, and there were quite a few. for one thing hes very tactile, especially in the beginning i noticed that he kind of felt around things a lot in a subtle way, besides his sense of smell he used his hearing in the gun battles from what i saw him killing the snipers had nothing to do with memory because every time he killed a sniper it was only right after the sniper shot at him and missed, he used the sound of the bullet traveling past him to determine the snipers location, which is exactly how real soldiers determine where snipers are shooting from... albeit in a less extreme manner.

so no the twist didnt bother me because everything was feasible just exaggerated.

as for the movie itself i thought it was good overall and i liked the message it put out, which imo was that it wasnt necessarily religion itself that was the good thing, so much as it was the concept of unity and caring for others, that was a good thing, and it was something that denzel himself didnt fully understand until later on.

so jah 8-9/10 for me! big grin

Mr Parker
just saw this movie,was pretty fun to watch and interesting most the time.enjoyed it till the very end.that didnt make any sense whatsoever why he didnt die when shot.what the hell is up with that,he had no body armour or protection? Like Oldman said in the film,he's just a man.Yeah he's just a normal human.He's not superman,so how come he did not die? also,what was so special about alcatraz,why that place needed the book and how come the bible was blank and how could he possibly have known everything written in it? you cant remember all that stuff even if you read it everyday.

as usual,Gary Oldman is this generations Alex Gusiness.He never looks the same in any of his movies or sounds the same and you hardly recognize him.this time I spotted him since it was obvious he had to be a major character in the movie.I had no idea that was him till several days later when I first saw Batman Begins that was Commissioner Gordon in that movie. laughing

jinXed by JaNx
Just saw this movie last night. I enjoyed it for the most part. I thought it started out strong but as the movie progressed i couldn't shake the sense that something was missing. By the end of the movie the crucial absence of something deeper still remained. It felt like the focus of the story was meant to possess strong Christian tones but somewhere along the line, whether it be the writers, Directors or studio, someone felt pressured into shifting the religious message into a more interpretive one. It really did feel like something was removed from the original concept during the films adaptation.

All through out the movie it felt like, Eli was doing the work of God but by the end of the movie we didn't receive any type of closure. Instead of doing the work of the divine it ended up feeling as though, Eli simply delivered a book to a group of people who would publish the book and keep it on file. It didn't seem as though he did anything of great or even minor importance...,he delivered a book. There were just to many questions left un-addressed as well as to many cop outs for me. Instead of being something more it becomes a mediocre, post-apocalyptic movie. However, it's still entertaining as a post-apocalyptic movie but nothing special or memorable.

Mr Parker
I know,we reciebed no closure whatsoever.i could not understand why he did not die,could you? like oldman siad in the movie-He's just a man.
which is true,he's not superman,he should have died,how come he didnt? could you understand that? any normal person would have bled to death veru quickly.they wouldnt have been able to get up and walk like he did.not more than a few feet anyways. roll eyes (sarcastic)

dadudemon
Originally posted by Mr Parker
I know,we reciebed no closure whatsoever.i could not understand why he did not die,could you? like oldman siad in the movie-He's just a man.
which is true,he's not superman,he should have died,how come he didnt? could you understand that? any normal person would have bled to death veru quickly.they wouldnt have been able to get up and walk like he did.not more than a few feet anyways. roll eyes (sarcastic)

That's easy:

People can live, without medical treatment, for 2 days after being shot in the guts. (Fer real. As long as it misses the aorta. It's a painful way to go, but you can still live.)

ON top of this, he DID treat himself, on his own. He mostly stopped the bleeding. He's a survivor and definitely knows WTF he's doing as he has been doing that kind of shit for years.

jinXed by JaNx
Originally posted by Mr Parker

I'm not sure that i can go there with you on that one, dude. From what i remember, he did die. I think it was a test of of faith for him, though. Already dead and dying, with no golden reception, he still chose to carry himself onward. That's why he was chosen for the quest. He had faith when no other would.

I believe his faith should have been more forthcoming and open. Gods will should have been more of the focus here and not the idea of a religion. Good will, justice , love, respect and honor should have been Eli's message. Getting the book published should have been his quest and facing his own death and despair should have been his test of faith. Eli should have been a prophet, NOT a goddamn delivery boy. Thats why the movie just ends up being stupid and wasteful. It took no risks but marketed itself as doing so. It could have been epic and inspiring but it just ended up being boring and lackluster.

Mr Parker
Originally posted by jinXed by JaNx
I'm not sure that i can go there with you on that one, dude. From what i remember, he did die. I think it was a test of of faith for him, though. Already dead and dying, with no golden reception, he still chose to carry himself onward. That's why he was chosen for the quest. He had faith when no other would.

I believe his faith should have been more forthcoming and open. Gods will should have been more of the focus here and not the idea of a religion. Good will, justice , love, respect and honor should have been Eli's message. Getting the book published should have been his quest and facing his own death and despair should have been his test of faith. Eli should have been a prophet, NOT a goddamn delivery boy. Thats why the movie just ends up being stupid and wasteful. It took no risks but marketed itself as doing so. It could have been epic and inspiring but it just ended up being boring and lackluster.

yeah it could have been alright but like i said,he just got shot in the chest,he shouldnt have been able to walk more then a few feet at all from a gunshot like that.Yes he did die but not till traveling for a very long distance for miles.that just ruined the believability of the film for me right there and like I said,the ending just made no sense whatsoever either.

Kazenji
So is this movie worth checking out??

its starting its cinema run next week here.

Darth Martin
Originally posted by Kazenji
So is this movie worth checking out?? IMO? No. It plays like a Mad Max film(which to me aren't good films)and I Am Legend was a much better film than this.

Denzel is awesome. But he can't save this. Don't get me wrong, it isn't terrible. It's not on the level of Wolverine or G.I. Joe, but I don't think it's worth paying the $8-12 to see it. If you have a cheap matinee or $1 theater then, sure.

The fighting scenes, as seen in the trailers, are unconvincing. There is no tension in the action and as good looking as Mila Kunis is, the movie makes her a dumb character who just gets in the way.

Oldman doesn't even have that great of a role.

The Nuul
Wolverine sucked balls, the action and humor in GI Joe is horrible.

Mad Max are great movies.

dadudemon
So is this movie worth checking out??

its starting its cinema run next week here.

You and I seem to agree on films more often than not.

I gave the film a solid 9. I really enjoyed it. You may have to watch the film twice to see all of the hidden tidbits, as it's definitely not a linear dumb film.

Darth Martin
Originally posted by The Nuul
Mad Max are great movies. Far from it, actually.

Kazenji
So i came back from seeing it

I liked it and only needed to see it once to get that Eli was Blind

8.5/10 from me

dadudemon
So i came back from seeing it

I liked it and only needed to see it once to get that Eli was Blind

8.5/10 from me

You have good, refined tastes in movies, sir. thumb up

big grin

Lord Shadow Z
Originally posted by The Nuul

Mad Max are great movies.

I really enjoyed the first two Mad Max films but the third dragged really badly. 1+2 had great characters and brilliant post-apocalyptic action.

The Book of Eli was an enjoyable film and it was important for me that the religious element didn't suffocate, which for me it didn't. I was a bit disappointed with what Carnegie actually wanted the book for as I had some other ideas going into the film which were more exciting but it was still a satisfying movie.

Funny thing through all the desert wasteland scenes I was getting really thirsty in the cinema!

I thought I'd went prepared with a latte but it went sour on me sick

The Nuul
Just saw this, it was good but not great. The Road is much more believable and has a better story but Eli has more action.

7/10

The Nuul
7.5 and not 7

kgkg
Bad movie!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.