Biggest Cliche in Gaming History

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Nemesis X
Tell us what you think is the biggest cliche in gaming history.

~:Mr.Anderson:~
Action hero faces objectives through hordes of aliens alone.

-7 half life games

-4 halo games

-metroid prime series

-Unreal tournament series

-space invaders

-defender

-defender II

-Sinistar

and MORE.

Kazenji
Come on forgot the obvious one Duke Nukem.

that too. o wait, and quake, and doom, for that matter.

wing commander series.

BackFire
Saving the princess.

getting cake at the end but not really.

ArtificialGlory
The interpretation of good defeats the interpretation of evil. In most cases good vs. evil is literal anyway.

Tsal Can
Guys fighnting for their woman and putting everything else at stake.

CadoAngelus
Originally posted by ~:Mr.Anderson:~
-9 half life games - including spin-offs and guaranteed future installments

-5 halo games - including Wars and ODST

- 16 The Legend of Zelda games
- 6 main series Resident Evil games, 13 spin-off series games

legend of zelda wasn't aliens? and neither was resident evil?

Digi
A prophecy that foretells that a hero will rise during the darkest...blah blah etc. etc.

CadoAngelus
legend of zelda wasn't aliens? and neither was resident evil?

i didn't say they were. i was just contributing to the thread, it just so happened i updated your post in the process...

NemeBro
Play Resident Evil 5 and the amount of cliches you can find are hilarious.

littlefox_Kovu
killing zombies

HueyFreeman
the 5 foot character carrying a 7 foot sword.

Mandrag Ganon
Originally posted by CadoAngelus
- 16 The Legend of Zelda games
- 6 main series Resident Evil games, 13 spin-off series games

I take it you are counting the 2 Zelda games yet to be released...

Anyway: Exploding barrels, and World War II.

-7 half life games

-4 halo games

-metroid prime series

-space invaders

-defender

-defender II

-Sinistar

and MORE.

Marathon, Fallout 3 (Mothership Zeta), Shadow the Hedgehog, Mass Effect... Yea, this list can keep going on for years.

Originally posted by Digi
A prophecy that foretells that a hero will rise during the darkest...blah blah etc. etc.

Ugh, I am so sick of prophecies and chosen ones. Why can't we have a hero that saves the world just because he's a nice guy?

Mario, mr. ganon. mario.

NemeBro
Originally posted by Mandrag Ganon
Fallout 3 (Mothership Zeta) To be fair F3 making a tribute to the genre.

Neo Darkhalen
Originally posted by NemeBro
Play Resident Evil 5 and the amount of cliches you can find are hilarious.

This.

Also Gears of War is another good example.

Oh and to throw another one into the mix, the final boss transforming into his final form and then having the final, final boss fight with a giant monster, that happens a lot.

jinXed by JaNx
Collectibles

Also, the new master cliche...,ACHIEVEMENTS. Instead of collecting collectibles to unlock secrets and additional content. We collect collectibles for a message.

jinXed by JaNx

-7 half life games

-4 halo games

-metroid prime series

-space invaders

-defender

-defender II

-Sinistar

and MORE.

Think those are formulas...,not cliches.

Mandrag Ganon
Mario, mr. ganon. mario.

Oh, We all know Mario is in it for the special favors from the princess... If anyone is trying to save the world just because he's a nice guy, it's Luigi...

Originally posted by NemeBro
To be fair F3 making a tribute to the genre.

True.

Originally posted by Neo Darkhalen
Also Gears of War is another good example.

Indeed.

Originally posted by jinXed by JaNx
Collectibles

Also, the new master cliche...,ACHIEVEMENTS. Instead of collecting collectibles to unlock secrets and additional content. We collect collectibles for a message.

I still don't understand what is so attractive about achievements... yet I can't stop hunting them... They're like birthdays, their existance makes no sense, and yet are loved by so many...

Ridley_Prime
The creation of Dark Khan.

Originally posted by jinXed by JaNx
Think those are formulas...,not cliches.
Agreed.

Mandrag Ganon
Dark/evil Version of the main character: I.E. Dark Link, Dark Samus, etc.

I still am looking forward to Dark Master Chief.

Ridley_Prime
facepalm Shame on me for forgetting to mention that. SA-X from Metroid Fusion would also count as far as that goes, along with Shadow Mario from Sunshine (even though it was Bowser Jr in disguise).

And lol @ the Dark MC idea..
Dark Donkey Kong & Dark Arbiter anyone?

Ridley_Prime
The final boss being vulnerable to only one particular weapon/attack, and is usually the rarest/strongest one in the game.

Mandrag Ganon
Originally posted by Ridley_Prime
facepalm Shame on me for forgetting to mention that. SA-X from Metroid Fusion would also count as far as that goes, along with Shadow Mario from Sunshine (even though it was Bowser Jr in disguise).

And lol @ the Dark MC idea..
Dark Donkey Kong & Dark Arbiter anyone?

Ah! Yea, I forgot about the SA-X. Hell, one could even argue Shadow the Hedgehog, but that is beginning to strech it a bit.

Nemesis X
One of the biggest cliches ever is the puzzle solving. They get frustrating sometimes including in each Metroid Prime game.

Ridley_Prime
Ah! Yea, I forgot about the SA-X. Hell, one could even argue Shadow the Hedgehog, but that is beginning to strech it a bit.
Perhaps. Not that much of a stretch though.

Originally posted by Nemesis X
One of the biggest cliches ever is the puzzle solving. They get frustrating sometimes including in each Metroid Prime game.
True, but I think that still goes along with what jinXed said as being a formula, not a cliche.

CadoAngelus
Ugh, I am so sick of prophecies and chosen ones. Why can't we have a hero that saves the world just because he's a nice guy?

Half-Life series

sure the first was was a matter of life or death trying to escape as war zone, but the second one was just like "Where the **** am i?" "hi! we're dying...help?" "sure, got nothing else to do since i've been trapped in stasis in a parallel universe for the god knows how many years, where's the crowbar"

that's another cliche now seemingly, trademark weapons...

§P0oONY
A betrayal... Happens in so many games/

Ridley_Prime
KRAUSER!

Juk3n
Tell us what you think is the biggest cliche in gaming history.

Orphan kid
mysterious past
parents died to protect him
hidden powers
what a suprise his parents killer is the baddie he now faces...

done to death, replace parents with king/princess/wife, but it's pretty much the standard JRPG cliche for the past 20 years.

Zack Fair
Hero dies or has his final mission get retconned when sells speak and its time to milk the cow.

occultdestroyer
FPS

MooCowofJustice
Originally posted by Zack Fair
Hero dies or has his final mission get retconned when sells speak and its time to milk the cow.

I take offense to that, sir.

A character with an abnormally large or complicated/ridiculously designed sword.

Examples: Nero, Cloud, Sephiroth, Ragna, and many more.

Nemesis X
Characters you think will live through the entire game until they get unexpectedly killed.

EvilAngel
For you to need The legendary sword to defeat the great enemy...

For your hero to come to terms with reason X before he can finish what he started and confront guy X

For the main villian to assume he can kick your ass all the way and brush you off, by pitting you against his minions, so by the time you come face to face you are a threat.

I think that's right by the thread.

Originally posted by Juk3n
Orphan kid
mysterious past
parents died to protect him
hidden powers
what a suprise his parents killer is the baddie he now faces...

done to death, replace parents with king/princess/wife, but it's pretty much the standard JRPG cliche for the past 20 years. YOU'rE A WiZaRD, hARRy!!

§P0oONY
Hero(es) save(s) the day.

Scythe
Girls with Double-D's or bigger.

jaden101
Medipacks. (Floating or illuminated or both)

CadoAngelus
seemingly simple enemies at the start of the game and a steep learning curve as the enemies get increasingly more and more difficult to overcome and outsmart to the point where you just think "**** it! gonna sprint this level"

Quincy
Characters you think will live through the entire game until they get unexpectedly killed.

Wait what?

That's cliche'? Something unexpected?

Hewhoknowsall
Good guys winning

CadoAngelus
a relatively new and upcoming cliche is choosing good or evil paths to follow...seems to be more popular of recent

there's such thing as an upcoming cliche?

CadoAngelus
it's been a main plot device for years now and it's used so much now i think you can call it a cliche...i was just trying to point out that it's not been around for as long as the other cliches

Nemesis X
Just right before the protagonist gets killed, he or she gets a major power up and automatically defeats the antagonist with ease.

Ridley_Prime
Or gets saved by another protagonist and they defeat the antagonist together.

One Free Man
MMORPG's promise something new and then steal WOW and rename a few things.

CadoAngelus
post-apocalyptic world where the "survivors" need to "survive". as you progress through the game, the story becomes more intricate and harder to follow to the point where it's a shoot'em'up/FPS wonderment of joy ^_^

-Pr-
Originally posted by CadoAngelus
post-apocalyptic world where the "survivors" need to "survive". as you progress through the game, the story becomes more intricate and harder to follow to the point where it's a shoot'em'up/FPS wonderment of joy ^_^

you didn't like fallout, then?

CadoAngelus

Quincy
Stop saying "Up and Coming Cliche"

-Pr-

CadoAngelus
Originally posted by Quincy

i said it once

Quincy

Dark Exile
That's not a cliche, its a mechanic.

Darth Jello
Jumping on shit and breaking block in one way or another.

CadoAngelus

okay, so i said it twice. whats the problem?

Nemesis X
Giant bosses. I'm getting rather irritated that people don't make them as good as they used to be. Now they're just mediocre so the biggest cliche would have to be mediocre boss battles.

One Free Man
Giant bosses. I'm getting rather irritated that people don't make them as good as they used to be. Now they're just mediocre so the biggest cliche would have to be mediocre boss battles. that and/or bosses with a million hitpoints and that's the only challenge. I like the zelda thing where you need to use some gimmick to defeat your bosses.

AsbestosFlaygon
The most cunning character is the main boss.. may be an ally or a foe

Oh, and FPS

Ridley_Prime
Giant bosses. I'm getting rather irritated that people don't make them as good as they used to be. Now they're just mediocre so the biggest cliche would have to be mediocre boss battles.
Yeah. I do get tired of them giant enemies being so blind-sided most of the time, but I guess that's generally what makes bosses bosses.. At least nowadays. -sigh-

Originally posted by AsbestosFlaygon
The most cunning character is the main boss.. may be an ally or a foe
I find that to be good personally, but to each his own.

Originally posted by AsbestosFlaygon
Oh, and FPS
genre =/= cliche

Nemesis X
Another cliche that should be known is protagonists being nicknamed "Rookie." Just goes to show that when a team can't think of a name for the guy, Rookie is always there to put a lightbulb over their heads. Un-creativness FTW!

That ACDC Chick
the main character losing his/her memory and/or powers at the beginning of the game cause of the bad guy >.>

That ACDC Chick
Another cliche that should be known is protagonists being nicknamed "Rookie." Just goes to show that when a team can't think of a name for the guy, Rookie is always there to put a lightbulb over their heads. Un-creativness FTW!
or Kid

ScreamPaste
Nemesis said puzzles are bad and frustrating... I personally like some depth and thinking in my gameplay, rather than mash A to make the enemies die... But that might just be me.

Anyway, worst cliche in gaming: Hero should lose, but randomly fires his epic hidden power laser (coughomnislashcough) and one shots the bad guy.

§P0oONY
Bosses and enemies taking 3 hits.

No End N Site
Androgynous heroes with amnesia. It would be really cool if someone couldn't remember their past cuz they were just old as hell and forgot.

That ACDC Chick
the toughened hardcore guy on the team who has seen and lived through everything and now needs to take revenge on the one guy that screwed him over how ever many years ago

FinalAnswer
Silent Protoganist that, despite not saying one word throughout the entire series/game, can have long (one sided) conversations with characters, can formulate complex strategies with others, can have other characters fall in love with him/her, and other magical nonsense. Usually, these characters are doormats.

Which is why Marathon succeeds with the silent protoganist, as the PC is pretty realistic (Doesn't come up with strategies with others, is only told teh plan, doesn't have conversations with other (On screen), and does not have other characters fall in love with him).

Nephthys
Drakengard is pretty good with it too, as the first level actually shows and explains how and why the protagonist is silent.

ares834
It makes me sad that the final boss cliche has begun to fade away... I love giant/epic final bosses but they seem to be in shorter supply lately.

NemeBro
The good guy wins.

Give Ganny poo a win every now and again. sad

leonheartmm
fps where americans are the GOOD guys and their treatment of arabs/russians is taken to be badass rather than insulting.

No End N Site
Originally posted by leonheartmm
fps where americans are the GOOD guys and their treatment of arabs/russians is taken to be badass rather than insulting. Now that you mention it...yeah.

Indieboi918
WWII Games, who'd have though you could make so many "Different" games about the same war

Ms.Marvel
Originally posted by leonheartmm
fps where americans are the GOOD guys and their treatment of arabs/russians is taken to be badass rather than insulting.

does it count as a cliche if they are badass, instead of insulting?

dadudemon

Yeah, but his second post wasn't relative to the first. awesome

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.