L4D2 offends Africans (not this crap again...)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Nemesis X
http://www.destructoid.com/left-4-dead-2-is-racist-because-several-zombies-are-black-139960.phtml

It's Resident Evil 5 all over again! Valve's upcoming game Left 4 Dead 2 offends the African community just because there are some black zombies that get lead pumped into them. Un-friggin-believable!

TRiNiTYfemi
This' stupid... I don't understand why these organisations pick at the small things like this... why don't they fight to raise funds for their starving 'brothers and sisters' back in Africa and leave the video games alone, this 'violent and unjust' video game 'campaigning' is getting a little old...

inimalist
to be fair, RE5 received little real criticism, and the designers made changes as a precaution, and not in response to a real challenge of racism.

As in that situation, the actual criticism is not of there being black zombies, but of the larger social context, this one being the allusion one might make between poor black sufferers of Katrina and zombies.

I agree its dumb, but c'mon guys. They call GTA a murder simulator too. Saying that the mainstream media play up issues in video games to sell product to a demographic already largely suspicious of video games is really not news.

Bicnarok
A lot of video games are mega politically incorrect so what they moaning about. Creating games has become an art form, and the freedom of expression should apply.

If they brought a game out called something like "KKK niga hunting! " then I would understand.

WhoopeeDee
This racial whining shit better NOT happen with Dead Rising 2. That's the game I want!

-Two Chainsaws at the same time!!!!! drool

-Using a Moose Head. happy

-Electric Guitar! eek!

Oh, well...you get the point. (Sharp point that is....)

Wei Phoenix
Originally posted by TRiNiTYfemi
This' stupid... I don't understand why these organisations pick at the small things like this... why don't they fight to raise funds for their starving 'brothers and sisters' back in Africa and leave the video games alone, this 'violent and unjust' video game 'campaigning' is getting a little old...

Because complaining makes you feel more important.

Really I don't see the big deal. They're in Louisiana...that's a predominately black state. It's like going to France and killing them and Tom Hanks complaining about a game where you kill a lot of white people.

~:Mr.Anderson:~
you know, I'm offended that all the zombies in previous games have all been white. WTF? It's like an implication that all white guys had their brains eaten out.

KidRock
I don't know about you guys, but whenever I play L4D I always play as the black guy.

I think it's because subconsciously I want to be that token black guy in a post apocalyptic zombie world.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by KidRock
I don't know about you guys, but whenever I play L4D I always play as the black guy.

I think it's because subconsciously I want to be that token black guy in a post apocalyptic zombie world.

No, you probably assume that because he's black he doesn't have any brains for the zombies to eat. Goddamn racist!

jinXed by JaNx
I always play as the nubile white college girl because, subconsciously i want to be raped by the black man.

Robtard
Originally posted by KidRock

Me too; I did it as a homage to 'Night of The Living Dead.' That was one capable negro.

occultdestroyer
Oh NO not this horseshit again

that guy's a NIGGAAHHH WINNAAAHHHH

Nemesis X
I wish the African community would just stop giving zombie games crap just because there's black zombies. There's white zombies in there too, have they not noticed that?

I'd like to see them make a zombie game with only white zombies and a black protagonist and they will know he we feel when the white people come and call them racist.

Originally posted by Nemesis X
I wish the African community would just stop giving zombie games crap just because there's black zombies. There's white zombies in there too, have they not noticed that?

I'd like to see them make a zombie game with only white zombies and a black protagonist and they will know he we feel when the white people come and call them racist. We won't though. There's so many things where the black guy is good and the white guy is bad, yet we aren't so sensetive we go out and start shit against that. I mean look @ l4d1, the main character is BLACK. wtf they talking about?

chithappens
Let it die.

Wei Phoenix
Originally posted by Nemesis X

I'd like to see them make a zombie game with only white zombies and a black protagonist and they will know he we feel when the white people come and call them racist.

African community? It's mainly one guy doing all of this talking.

When are we going on that date?

FistOfThe North
Originally posted by ~:Mr.Anderson:~
There's so many things where the black guy is good and the white guy is bad, yet we aren't so sensetive we go out and start shit against that.

Name 'em..

And to follow up to your short answer/s, therein lies a good portion of the problem. There aren't that many things like that.

At least not more than it is the other way around.

Robtard
Originally posted by FistOfThe North
Name 'em..

And to follow up to your short answer/s, therein lies a good portion of the problem. There aren't that many things like that.

At least not more than it is the other way around.

Blade. Blade II. Blade III. Shaft. Spike Lee films.

It's not the other way around. It's just senseless crying over nothing, both ways.

inimalist
The article complaining about the racist claims does a very poor job of representing the argument of a single black person (not the black community)

The issue is more the social-cultural-economic conditions that exist in New Orleans, and how the visual representation of black people as zombies might work in that context. It would be similar to a game about Russian troops shooting up zombies in Chechnya, or where a German shot up Jewish zombies from the holocaust. The issue isn't the game, but rather that the game can be interpreted in a certain light given certain cultural ideals. This is the exact same as RE5.

I'm not saying it is a good or even very logical argument, but ffs! If you are going to critique something, at least understand the point being made. This "white victimization" bullshit needs to end.

FistOfThe North
Originally posted by Robtard

It's not the other way around. It's just senseless crying over nothing, both ways.

but is is because for every one movie you name in that way i can in 10-20 could be mentioned in return.

The ratio's very high. And what i'm saying is is that part or a nice portion of the problem is that ratio.

Me personally i don't have a problem with l4d in fact i really like the game, i have it, i was on it the day before, and can't wait for pt. 2 to come out next month. I don't even notice any black zombies. i look at 'em all as cannon fodder treat'em all with equal oppertunity bullet deployment. Sh*t they're being indiscriminate. And so will i, ha.

But you are right in saying that it is both sides crying unessecarily about it. It's black low self esteem and white guilt going to war here.

Robtard
but is is because for every one movie you name in that way i can in 10-20 could be mentioned in return.

The ratio's very high. And what i'm saying is is that part or a nice portion of the problem is that ratio.

Me personally i don't have a problem with l4d in fact i really like the game, i have it, i was on it the day before, and can't wait for pt. 2 to come out next month. I don't even notice any black zombies. i look at 'em all as cannon fodder treat'em all with equal oppertunity bullet deployment. Sh*t they're being indiscriminate. And so will i, ha.

But you are right in saying that it is both sides crying unessecarily about it. It's black low self esteem and white guilt going to war here.

I'll take your Pepsi challenge, name 10-20?

I don't think it's neither blacks with low self-esteem or this 'white-guilt', I think it's far simpler, people crying over shit like this are idiots and a solid slap to the face could only help them.

chithappens

I don't think it's neither blacks with low self-esteem or this 'white-guilt', I think it's far simpler, people crying over shit like this are idiots and a solid slap to the face could only help them.

I promise you this only matters to idiots. Need some baby oil for your slapping hand?

FistOfThe North

that's alot of writing, dookie. (about 80 titles) i was considering it but it'd be too time consuming and the weekends here. i was being figurative and trying to make a factual point by writing that cause you very well know that there are more movies where the bad guys are black more so than the other way around, don't play a fool.

Me, I don't care, a movies a movie, i just wanted to point out that there is a significant ratio in that aspect.

It's not the other way around. It's just senseless crying over nothing, both ways. that and the matrix. everyone in the underground is pretty much black while pretty much everyone who's evil is white. Agent Smith is white, the betrayer is white, but anyone and everyone who is loyal to morpheus with the exception of a minor few is black.

Evil black guy in star wars? I don't think so, but we got lando and mace windu as good guys. (james earl jones doesn't count because the character was played by david prowse and was supposed to be a white guy.)

batman begins and the dark knight

the shawshank redemption

driving miss daisy

milliion dollar baby

war of the worlds

march of the penguins

evan almighty

Mission impossible series

So... why don't you name a couple where there are black bad guys?

PENIS-ENVY
ujm

zslick
i find it funny how the african community finds it offensive that theres black zombies but no one complains when there is a red neck guy in there who wont just the ef up.

also it is kinda fun to shoot the black clown! come on when do you ever get to see a black clown!

inimalist
to be fair, its not the community, it is a single individual

Dr Will Hatch
Originally posted by inimalist
The article complaining about the racist claims does a very poor job of representing the argument of a single black person (not the black community)

The issue is more the social-cultural-economic conditions that exist in New Orleans, and how the visual representation of black people as zombies might work in that context. It would be similar to a game about Russian troops shooting up zombies in Chechnya, or where a German shot up Jewish zombies from the holocaust. The issue isn't the game, but rather that the game can be interpreted in a certain light given certain cultural ideals. This is the exact same as RE5.

I'm not saying it is a good or even very logical argument, but ffs! If you are going to critique something, at least understand the point being made. This "white victimization" bullshit needs to end. Enlighten me if I'm wrong, but aren't these interpretations easily avoided by just not playing the game? And aren't they brought to mind when you have one oddball outlandish person make such claims in the first place?

inimalist
Originally posted by Dr Will Hatch
Enlighten me if I'm wrong, but aren't these interpretations easily avoided by just not playing the game?

yes

Originally posted by Dr Will Hatch
And aren't they brought to mind when you have one oddball outlandish person make such claims in the first place?

yes

I went to pains to point out that I didn't support the argument, simply pointing out that white people are not being oppressed by the "black community" censoring video games. The argument has some merit, but clearly its making mountains out of mole hills and causing more racial tension than it is alleviating.

jinXed by JaNx

Me, I don't care, a movies a movie, i just wanted to point out that there is a significant ratio in that aspect.

But what's the significance of the ratio? Are you just making an observation or are you trying to insinuate some kind of racist conspiracy? I understand that Blacks were kept from leading and heroic roles in movies, at one time but not now. I hate when movies cast a white or black person just to balance out a movies minority ratio.

AsbestosFlaygon
Honestly, I prefer killing black people than white people.

Same reason why I love RE5.

I dunno, maybe I'm a racist, but I just prefer killing black people anyways.

Bicnarok
Some black folk have a massive chip on their shoulder, like moaning old women. Wake up to the 21st century for fooks sake and GAL

lil bitchiness
Seriously, if this is not a chip on the shoulder, I don't know what is. I don't think this guy is an idiot, I actually think he knows exactly what he's doing. B!tching and whining and reinforcing victim mentality.

Nemesis X
Originally posted by AsbestosFlaygon

Dude, that's just messed up.

tom_servo
Originally posted by AsbestosFlaygon

Yeah, that's not racist at all. /sarcasm.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.