Most Unforgettable Game You've Ever Played

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

occultdestroyer
Mine would be the Chrono series:
Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross

The plot, the storyline, the gameplay, the character design, the background theme, the music...
It was perfection.

I've never been immersed in any other games ever since then.

Final Fantasy VI comes a close 2nd, but not as close as the Chrono series.

How about you guys?

Kazenji
Doom, Classic Game.

Ms.Marvel
most people know my number 1 by now.

but modernwarfae is my second other maybe.

BackFire
Bioshock

Final Fantasy VI

Chrono Trigger

Half Life

Half Life 2 Episode 2

Final Fantasy VII

ArtificialGlory
HoMM3, Resident Evil 2, Silent Hill, Mortal Kombat.

Hell Lancer
MGS3

Merc'd
Toy Commander for Dreamcast (bad game, but i was young and would play it for like 10 hours straight with my friend)

Halo

jalek moye
Shenmue 1 & 2

Smasandian
Half Life.

Got a new computer in my house, replacing a Tandy 1000 to Win 98. A couple of weeks later, my friend lent me his Half Life bootleg copy he bought in some Asian market in Toronto.

I heard about the game but nothing too much about it. I knew journalists were talking about it and saying it was amazing but that's about it. I had no expectations.

Anyways, installed the game on a Friday, started to play it and by Sunday night I was in the last level. Beccause of no expectations, I was totally thrown into that game. It was just amazing. A game has never hit me that hard after that.

Morridini
James Bond GoldenEye.

Wolverine2179
Personally for me it would be.

Mass effect
Grand Theft Auto 4
FINAL FANTASY X
FINAL FANTASY XII
FINAL FANTASY VII

First_Tsurugi06
The most recent would have to be Shadow of th Colossus.

Originally posted by jalek moye
Shenmue 1 & 2

Good man.

Mr Omiverseria
Star Ocean: Till the End of Time

Tales of Phantasia

Final Fantasy VII

Xenogears

Golden Sun

Dragon Quest VIII

Final Fantasy IX

Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots

Juk3n
Deus Ex.

Icy Ninja
Metal Gear Solid 4, never played a game with so much emotion so many unforgettable moments the microwave hall Solids and Liquids final fight the epilogue and Snakes journey as a whole.

Zack Fair
I really have to put them in categories because the experiences are different and it becomes hard to pick just one.

For the Nes I'd have to say Mario was phenomenal. I was hooked on that game for too long a time.

Snes Street Fighter 2/Zelda AlttP : SF2 woke the competitive gamer in me, and A link to the past just dominated my life.

PSX: Final Fantasy 7 made me a hardcore gamer. I was all over this game when I was in high school. MGS was amazing as well because I had not experienced a cinematic game like that before. Not to mention Snake was and still is the baddest mofo ever.

N64: Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time. Passed the transition to 3d with AAAs and set the bar for the rest.

To be honest the combination of FF7, MGS and OoT made me a VG maniac.

PS2: Final Fantasy X. Everything about this game screamed polish. Top Tier ending to boot.

Xbox: Halo. God damned Halo. 'nuff said.

360/PS3 era...MGS4 hands down. After so many years of experiencing phenomenal stories, gameplay, music, inmersion etc. you kind of get used to games being good, great and/or near epic. MGS4 took me by storm. I knew the game was going to rock, but not this much. Everything was just right.

Nemesis X
Dead Space

NemeBro
Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time: There has yet to be an action/adventure game to surpass it.

Mass Effect: One of the best RPGs ever, down the the characters, the combat, the setting, and the plot is pretty good too.

Tales of the Abyss: The single greatest of the Tales series IMHO.

Final Fantasy Tactics: Favorite FF game ever, ironically, it was bought for me for Christmas by my mother on accident. Fortunate indeed.

Bioshock: Great FPS game, with an excellent plotline, and an immersive setting few can match.

Fallout 3: Immersion into the setting at its finest.

Spyro: Enter the Dragonfly: It is hard to forget a piece of shit like this. Completely wrecked one of my favorite series.

Zack Fair
FFT is hands down my fav final as well.

FF7 and Zelda: AlttP were bought for me by accident as well. Gotta love those accidents and how the dice rolled....could have always ended up playing ShaqFu.

ArtificialGlory
Originally posted by Zack Fair
FFT is hands down my fav final as well.

FF7 and Zelda: AlttP were bought for me by accident as well. Gotta love those accidents and how the dice rolled....could have always ended up playing ShaqFu.

I'll join the club then. One of my favourite video games of all time didn't stay on my HDD for more than 10 minutes the first time because I sucked at English back then, and it also was the first of its genre to me. I thought it was complete shit and uninstalled it. The story would have ended there if a friend of mine wouldn't have brought it to my place a few weeks later without even knowing that I have tried it out before and didn't like it. He taught me how to play it properly, and the rest is history.

You can't escape fate, I guess.

Icy Ninja
I guess Vampire Rain gets a nod for most unforgettable bad game, it had a great cover and a pretty interesting premise except it was total shit actually worse, proof that you should never judge a book by it's cover or in this case game.

NemeBro
Glory, what was the game?

~:Mr.Anderson:~
KOTOR 2, it wasn't that good, but it was the first title i ever played that was aimed towards more mature audiences. to this day that's one of the things that takes me back to summer vacation going through the game with a friend (switching off at checkpoints) and loling at how evil we were killing all the people asking for help.

EvilAngel
5) Ghost Recon: First realistic gun game i played. I feel i learnt allot of my player vs player gaming skill based on this game. Even in none gun games.

4) Silent Hill: Scared the hell out of me, and i think it was the first game to do so. After playing this for 10 minutes you quickly learn video games can and are scarier than any movie.

3) Warcraft: Orcs and Humans: First computer game i ever saw. After i played it myself, (i was tiny ;p) i thought it was amazing.

2) Final Fantasy 7: The first game i played that felt like a real adventure. Back in the day this game was sweet to the bone. Still has a decent story if you ask me.

1) Kingdom Hearts: After the PS1 era ended i didn't find any games that had what i felt to be a good plot to it. This game brought it back for me. I love this game to it's core. I love the story, the characters, the music in the game, the feel to it, the game play/style and the mystery.

jinXed by JaNx
The Suffering
Silent Hill
Final Fantasy X
Oblivion
Mario 64
X-men ( arcade )
pac man

Merc'd
Meh, i hate to say it but id like to add kingdom hearts, i remember totally loving the whole island part and being sad when you go in the cave and get seperated from the girl and so on sad

but i was young, now i dont like the game but i will never forget it

Phanteros
God of war
Kingdom Hearts
Oblivion
Halo
Prototype.

jinXed by JaNx
Originally posted by Merc'd
Meh, i hate to say it but id like to add kingdom hearts, i remember totally loving the whole island part and being sad when you go in the cave and get seperated from the girl and so on sad

but i was young, now i dont like the game but i will never forget it

dont need to feel ashamed for admitting that a game had an impact on you laughing out loud Kingdom Hearts was a good game. Hey...,i cried during Lion King and the Fox and the Hound smokin'

-Pr-
FF7, naturally.

FF8, as i wasnt expecting to love the game that much.

The first Resident Evil. Groundbreaking at the time.

Metal Gear Solid on the psx.

Sensible Soccer. If you've played it, you know why.

Mortal Kombat/MK2.

Street Fighter 2.

ISS Pro 98, showing me that FIFA could be beaten.

COD4: Never thought for one second that i could love another FPS on a console...

S_D_J
- by far Metal Gear Solid, I never a looked a game the same way after it... it had to be epic for me to enjoy it erm (still best game I ever played)

- Dounkey Kong Country 3: there's Super Mario, but it was with DKC3 the first time I tried to complete a game to 100% (Last game purchase for Snes, first VC game I downloaded for my Wii big grin)

- TLOZ: Link's Awakening: I didn't even own a Snes at the time, but it was this game that got me so into Zelda

- International Super Start Soccer: Deluxe - the only thing I played with my friends on Snes, most of the time. loved turning the referee into a dog

- Silent Hill: I never thought I'd scream playing a game... I cringed and, most of the time, save and turned off the PS every time Hell/Nightmare world showed up no expression

- Duke Nuken 3D/Quake: about the only thing I played on my first PC, Quake was scary embarrasment

- Warcraft 3: not even with Starcraft I got so hooked up on RTSs the way I did with W3... still play it sometimes

- FF8: I know it's not regarded as the best FF, but I was the first one I ever played. Before it, I despised RPGs. Never really get what was so good about playing a game you just put inputs and then watch it play itself, I prefer playin Zelda.... boy was I so wrong. I was also the first game I played that was entirely in my first language... didn't know English that well back then... and it was free!

- Tekken 3: Mortal Kombat was all the rage, SFII was a blast to play, but Teken 3 was the first fighter I ever got good at playing, and loved every minute of it, until the game got so scratched it started to skip big grin

- FFX: Main reason I wanted a PS2 (besides being a PS Fanboy)... Best ending ever

- KH/KH2: both game told an epic story, and it got two of the things I love the most (who doesn't love Disney?). I even cried a little at the end of KH (I'm not ashamed 131)
Best title song ever (can't decide between Simple and Clean or Passion/Santuary)

- GTA VC: played and completed thrice, that's twice more than I ever play most games... plus it has the best licensed soundtrack in any game.
GTA SA it's the best one though.

- Super Metroid: I first played it around the time I bought my PS2. Yep, the Snes still worked, tough it was no longer mine

- Super Mario Galaxy: I used to hate Mario, because of how sick I was of seeing Mario games left and right. I like him again now. best original soundtrack

- MGS4: No game has come close to topping this game this gen... yet. double camera cutscenes, motorcycle chase, the river scene. microwave hallway, 4 rounds fight with Ocelot, 60+ minutes ending and prologue.... not close.

ArtificialGlory
Originally posted by NemeBro
Glory, what was the game?

HoMM3

I think I should list some other honorable mentions: MGS1, Earthworm Jim, Ranger X, Dune II: Battle for Arrakis, Diablo I, C&C: Tiberian Dawn and Red Alert.

FistOfThe North
Goldeneye
Half-life 2 (PC)
Street Fighter 2 (arcades, snes)
Killer Instinct (arcades)
the Need for Speed: Most Wanted (soundtrack)
Grand Theft Auto VC & 4
Soul Caliber 4
Sonic 1
Super Mario 2&3
Battlefield 2 (PC) (online)
Command and Conquer: Generals (PC)

littlefox_Kovu
Resident Evil 4, Metal Gear Solid 2, and 3, devil may cry 3.

Burning thought
Supreme commander
Company of heroes
C&C generals
LOK series
Oblivion
Age of series (age of empires, mythology etc)
Myth series

And prob more.

occultdestroyer
Originally posted by occultdestroyer
Mine would be the Chrono series:
Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross
How the hell did I forget about this game?!

Radical Dreamers: Nusumenai Hōseki

It's a part of the Chrono series as well

Mr Omiverseria
lol

ArtificialGlory
Originally posted by Mr Omiverseria
lol

I was unaware of a game named 'lol'. Elaborate?

Mr Omiverseria
I was referring to the wicked awesome JRPG that is Legend of Legaia.

legend of legaia

Mr Omiverseria
That is what "lol" now stands for. LMAO and ROFL renders the original meaning bosolete.

jinXed by JaNx
Yeah, i can't forget to mention GTA3. Playing GTA3 is the most original gaming experience i ever had. I'll never forget the sense of freedom that game offered. Sure, the violence was one of if not the biggest contributing factor in what made GTA3 a milestone but coupled with the scope and freedom i knew that i was playing a revolutionary game.

I also need to mention...,

Ocarina of Time
Abes Odyssey and Exodus

Gran Turismo 3 will also be remembered by me for a while. Playing GT3 on the PS2 for the first time just felt new. It felt and looked cutting edge. Racing games have only gotten better with their graphics and physics but when Gran Turismo 3 came out the look and feel was light years beyond all of the current racing games. I guess it would be like going back to the 1980's and introducing the Atari audience to the 360 or ps3.

Wolverine2179
ARMA 2, because that game was so horrible.

Tsal Can
Oblivion, Mass Effect

Halo 1, Munch's Oddysee, KotOR 1.

Shenmue 1, Sonic Adventure 1

OoT, Star Fox 64, Majora's mask, Golden Eye.

Battle Toads

Impediment
Ninja Gaiden (NES) - One of the most notoriously hard games of all time, and so much fun.
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (SNES) One of the best games I have ever played.
Final Fantasy VII (PS1) - Some call it overrated, but I call it a milestone.
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (N64) - One of the greatest video games of all time, and still the best Zelda game, yet.
Resident Evil 2 (PS1) - The best in the series, in my opinion.
God of War 2 (PS2) - Who cares if it's just a hack & slash adventure? It's just so much fun!
Grand Theft Auto 3 (PS2) - It set a new bar for violence in video games, and it's still as fun as ever.
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4 (GC) - The best title in the THPS series, in my opinion.
Super Mario Galaxy (Wii) - The only Mario game better than Super Mario 64.
Batman: Arkham Asylum (PS3) - The greatest superhero game ever made. Ever.
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (PS3) - The greatest FPS ever. Addicting as anything I've ever seen.

NemeBro
Oh, how could I forget the most difficult game ever?

Alien Hominid. I could not beat the second level without help.

Also, some I forgot.

God of War 2
Banjo Kazooie and Tooie
Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind

Tsal Can
I was on the fence about Morrowind. So I guess Ill add it to. As a game, I like it more than Oblivion, better story.

Wolverine2179
For the good games.

Mass effect
GTA 4
FFX/VII/XII
Fallout 3
Call of duty 4 and 5
Oblivion
Company of heroes
Yuri's revenge

Deano
resident evil

Phanteros
How come no one put this on there list

Donky Kong the game that is a legend among games.

Mandrag Ganon
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Bioshock

Half Life 2 (and Episodes 1 & 2)

Final Fantasy VII

Lost Odyssey

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask

The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages & Oracle of Seasons

Mass Effect

Knights of the Old Republic

Morrowind

Oblivion

Advent Rising (Still wish there were sequels)

Secret of Monkey Island (It was just such a random game, who could forget it?)

MooCowofJustice
Tomba!2: The Evil Swine Return.

I can remember almost every detail of that game. As the characters speak dialogue, I can close my eyes and quote it with them.

Burning thought
Dungeon keeper
Diablo series
Starcraft

KingD19
Suikoden I&II
Shenmue I&II
Just about all the Harvest Moons(It's a farm simulator, but it's just fun)
Mark of Kri I&II
Maximo
Sly Cooper(All of them)
Jak &Daxter(All of them)
Drakan: The Ancient Gates
Indigo Prophecy/Farenheit
Romance of the 3 Kingdoms seires
Way of the Samurai series
Battle Toads
General Chaos(Sega Genesis war game)
LEgacy of Kain/Blood Omen
Bomberman
Vector Man
Sonic series
Mario series
Breath of Fire series
Champions Online/City of Heroes-Villains
KOTOR 1/2
Mass Effect
Jade Empire
Megaman series
Zoids(For Gamecube)
DBZ Budokai/Budokai Tenkaichi series
Dark Cloud 1&2
Megaman Legends series
Dead to Rights
Dragon Quest series
Escape from Monkey Island
Star Fox 64
Toy Story
Conkers Bad Fur Day
Mario Kart
Killer Instinct
Legend of Zelda series
Mario Party series
Paper Mario
Power Stone 1&2
Gun Star Heroes
Jet Set Radio/Jet Set Radio Future

(I could put more, but frankly...I'm lazy)

occultdestroyer
Originally posted by KingD19
Suikoden I&II
Shenmue I&II
Just about all the Harvest Moons(It's a farm simulator, but it's just fun)
Mark of Kri I&II
Maximo
Sly Cooper(All of them)
Jak &Daxter(All of them)
Drakan: The Ancient Gates
Indigo Prophecy/Farenheit
Romance of the 3 Kingdoms seires
Way of the Samurai series
Battle Toads
General Chaos(Sega Genesis war game)
LEgacy of Kain/Blood Omen
Bomberman
Vector Man
Sonic series
Mario series
Breath of Fire series
Champions Online/City of Heroes-Villains
KOTOR 1/2
Mass Effect
Jade Empire
Megaman series
Zoids(For Gamecube)
DBZ Budokai/Budokai Tenkaichi series
Dark Cloud 1&2
Megaman Legends series
Dead to Rights
Dragon Quest series
Escape from Monkey Island
Star Fox 64
Toy Story
Conkers Bad Fur Day
Mario Kart
Killer Instinct
Legend of Zelda series
Mario Party series
Paper Mario
Power Stone 1&2
Gun Star Heroes
Jet Set Radio/Jet Set Radio Future

(I could put more, but frankly...I'm lazy)
Which one's the most unforgettable? laughing out loud

KingD19
Definitely Suikoden II, but I don't like to choose.

Ms.Marvel
#1 goes to metroid prime for me! that game is what made me a gamer!

BackFire
Braid is also on my list.

Haunting, artistic and beautiful game.

Mr Omiverseria
Originally posted by KingD19
Definitely Suikoden II, but I don't like to choose.

Nice choice.

Alpha Centauri
I'm gonna try my best to pick one.

I'm factoring in enjoyment, time, memories etc. Not the game solely, but the most unforgettable.

Has to be Metal Gear Solid. One of my favourite games ever.

I just remember coming home on Winter school nights, playing it in the chilly darkness of the evening. The music worked perfectly, and most notably it was near Christmas.

What solidified it for me was the opening area. Not the infiltration/diving bit (Though that was awesome), the snowy outer gates of Shadow Moses, with the spotlight.

Perfect. I'll never forget anything about that game. At that time in my life, it seemed like everything aligned to make that game the perfect game to play at that time. A true masterpiece and something Kojima has never surpassed, in my opinion.

Originally posted by NemeBro
Oh, how could I forget the most difficult game ever?

Alien Hominid.

Play Ecco the Dolphin then re-evaluate your stance.

-AC

ArtificialGlory
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
Play Ecco the Dolphin then re-evaluate your stance.

Maybe you guys should try playing Silver Surfer or I Wanna Be The Guy.

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by ArtificialGlory
Maybe you guys should try playing Silver Surfer or I Wanna Be The Guy.

Silver Surfer as in the N.E.S. game?

Played it.

-AC

FistOfThe North
The worst unforgettable games i've played:

- Every game for the "Jaguar" console. especially Kasumi Ninja. god damn that game to hell! god damm Alaric, and god damn Angus McGregor and his scottish fire "balls"!

- I was highly dissapointed with Halo 3 personally. It was biggest dissapointment of the year in video games for me. It was Halo 2.5 to me.

- The Final Fantasy series, especially pt. 3. Long story.

- Tron 2.0| what a load of hot neon crap. and the game just about gave my cousin a epileptic sezure. (seriously)

- Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty| extremely short $60 games vex me. And this one was king for the caliber of game it was.

- Spore| It Specifically made me stop playing videos games for a short while. a few weeks. no games ever done that.

- Practically all golf games, bowling games, and baseball games i've ever played (except for "Bases Loaded" for the nes), they're just all dumb boring to me.

- All wrestling games, mma/ufc games i've ever played. never got used to the super tight control sheme, the stiff characters and their semi delayed actions.

All these games have an unforgettable place in the dumpster section of my heart

occultdestroyer
I'd also like to add:

ICO
Shadow of the Colossus
The Curse of Monkey Island

S_D_J
Originally posted by MooCowofJustice
Tomba!2: The Evil Swine Return.

I can remember almost every detail of that game. As the characters speak dialogue, I can close my eyes and quote it with them.

I never played the second one, but I love the first Tomba!

Great, fun story with an excellent gameplay

kgkg

Best game ever.

Mandrag Ganon
Originally posted by kgkg

Best game ever.

Couldn't agree more...

rabidd909
The most unforgettable games I've played:

The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay --I had never had so much fun with a game before playing this. The gun-play wasn't the best, but was not weak at all, and the stealth more than made up for it.

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic--I had always hated even the Idea of an rpg......then I played this glorious game and I haven't been able to get enough rpg action.

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare--Just.........whoa. the most fun I'd ever had with a military game.

The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion--It was a "Knock, Knock, next-gen is finally here" moment for me when I first played this. Much better than Morrowind in my opinion.

Left 4 Dead--Why wasn't something like this made ages ago????? Short story mode but I will love it forever for being my first FPS zombie game.

The Suffering-- Prison full of killers and cons? check. freakish monsters that want to rip you into pieces? check. Guns? check. Dark and violent creature literally lurking right beneath you skin? Check. Enter "The Suffering"......And you can switch between first-person and third-person. awesomeness? Check.

Darth Jello
Castlevania II Simon's Quest, Mappy and Super Mario Bros. The first three games I ever saw or played.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.