M - Fritz Lang- 1931

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Blinky
Ok so I guess most people would not consider this a "Horror" movie. This is one of the first films about a serial killer/pedo. Sounds horrific to me.

Anyways there are people who say this film is anti/pro capital punishment. But in my opinion, it had a stronger message at the end.

Well to me, if i had to choose, it was pro-capital punishment. According to the public defender - the fact that the killer could not help killing, proved him (killer) innocent. But according to the criminals this is the fact that condemned him. They said since he could not help it he should be eliminated so that there is NO CHANCE that he will ever murder another child again - much like rabid (sick) dogs who maul and kill little kids are "put to sleep". That is what I got from the movie.

Then in the end, it seems that the legal system put the killer to death. That is why the mourning mother said "This wont bring our children back." So again the killer is found guilty and put to death. Pro-Capital punishment, IMHO.

Anyways... then the mourning mother says that they (the parents) should have looked after their kids better. This is the true message for me. The movie claims that is parents would care about their kids more (love them enough to protect/watch them to the best of their ability) then there would be less opportunities for killer-pedos to be successful at what they do.

Any thoughts?

BackFire
Brilliant film.

the ninjak
We watched it for Movie Night with our friends a few weeks ago...yeah very good.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.