Top 5 Denzel Washington Movies

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Darth Martin
Denzel Washington remains one of our finest actors to this day. He has his peaks and valleys but for the most part he is always on his game. Instead of asking you what you feel his best film is, I decided to ask you to list his top 5. Remember this is your opinion. If you don't mind list your reasons. How doies Washington compare to other great actors and actresses of this generation and of all time? This should be interesting.

Denzel Washington's Filmography

jaden101
Hmm...In no particular order.

Glory
Man on Fire
Training Day
The Hurricane
Inside Man

I think, a lot of the time, he doesn't really play characters so much as plays the 1 character in different films. The films above are exceptions to that and are also his best performances (at least to me).

I don't think he'll be remembered as one of the greats though. He has a tendency to pick some unsuitable roles or films. Similar to Edward Norton and Michael Caine. They've all done some memorable and brilliant performances amongst a load of terrible films and roles that don't help their reputation.

MildPossession
Not a favourite of mine, and agree with everything Jaden said about him. Man on Fire would be my favourite that he happens to be in, and Training Day. I don't go into a film thinking, oooo must see this film because Denzil Washington is in the lead.

Darth Martin
I do agree he often plays the same character in different films. But that in itself is refreshing some times. Take American Gangster, he chewed that role up.

jaden101
He was a good character in American Gangster...No doubt...Pity the film itself was shit.

The Nuul
Philadelphia
American Gangster
Man on Fire
Training Day
He Got Game

In no order.

JDean17
Glory
Man on Fire
Training Day
Inside Man
John Q

BruceSkywalker
in no order...

training day

courage under fire

philadelphia

the preacher's wife

remember the titans

Impediment
Training Day
Virtuosity
Philadelphia
Remember the Titans
The Bone Collector

Darth Martin
Originally posted by jaden101
Pity the film itself was shit. Speak for yourself. I thought it was a great hit for Scott. He's often hit and miss and did he score here. Washington OWNED the film. Crowe, Brolin, Dee, and Assante were all standouts as well. Film had a great soundtrack too.

Myth
No order:
Inside Man
Training Day
American Gangster
Virtuosity
Fallen

jaden101
Originally posted by Darth Martin
Speak for yourself. I thought it was a great hit for Scott. He's often hit and miss and did he score here. Washington OWNED the film. Crowe, Brolin, Dee, and Assante were all standouts as well. Film had a great soundtrack too.

I'm not speaking for myself, I'm speaking for the film. It was a huge disappointment. The only thing that was standout was the cinematography. You liking it and my disliking it isn't a reflection on the film's quality.

Darth Martin
I've heard good things about Fallen. I've yet to see it but it sounds underrated.

jinXed by JaNx
Man on Fire
Training Day
John Q---Not a very good movie but i liked his performance

Lastly, i have to mention Malcolm X. I loathe this movie and any type of media that glorifies this man and i wish that Denzel had never been associated with the movie. With that said, however, I have to give Spike Lee and Denzel credit. I really don't know who is more responsible for Denzels performance in the movie, Spike Lee or Denzel, but this is exactly how i imagined Malcolm X.

I like Denzel and think he's a decent actor but he needs to stop type casting himself.

Alpha-7
American Gangster
Man On Fire
Training Day
The Bone Collector
Philadelphia

Darth Martin
No love for Malcolm X?

SnakeEyes
When I think of Denzel I think of Tony Scott and when I think of Tony Scott I think of mediocre action movies starring a typecast Denzel.

MildPossession
Tony Scott = Man on Fire, and True Romance = not mediocre. stick out tongue

Mr Parker
My favorite of Washingtons is Glory easily.

jaden101
I do agree he often plays the same character in different films. But that in itself is refreshing some times.

Oh...Forgot to say...Not particularly "refreshing" when Ben Affleck does it. "Annoying" would be more accurate. Infact the only movie i've seen where it fit was "Boiler Room" which is ace and highly underrated.

Darth Martin
Well as I think you are aware of, I was referring to Washington.

jaden101
Well as I think you are aware of, I was referring to Washington.

My point is that it's not "refreshing"...It's lazy and annoying.

Funkadelic
Glory
Malcolm X
John Q

T.M
In no order:

American Gangster
Training Day
Remember The Titans
Inside Man
Man On Fire

Wanderer11
Philadelphia
American Gangster
Man on Fire
Training Day
He Got Game

Zoom
American Gangster
Training Day
Remember The Titans
Inside Man
Man On Fire

SnakeEyes
Originally posted by MildPossession

I did like True Romance. Haven't seen Man on Fire.

MildPossession
Well then you can bloody well shut up, you and your mediocre crap. smile stick out tongue

SnakeEyes
Well I'd consider Top Gun (despite its popularity), Beverly Hills Cop 2, and the Last Boy Scout pretty average.

Domino looked terrible so I didn't see it.

Deja Vu and The Taking of Pelham 1 2 3 (both with Denzel) looked mediocre, so I haven't seen those.

And other average-looking Tony Scott films that I haven't bothered seeing: The Hunger, Revenge, Days of Thunder and The Fan.

And finally, it's been a long time since I've seen Enemy of the State, Spy Game and Crimson Tide so I can't really speak about those ones.

So I guess, in conclusion, I haven't seen/don't remember a lot of his movies, but out of the ones I have seen, True Romance is the only one I've really liked... and the credit probably goes more to Tarantino there anyway.

Andy McFly
Glory
Man on Fire
Training Day
The Hurricane
Inside Man

Darth Martin
Malcolm X
Training Day
American Gangster
Remember the Titans
He Got Game

Originally posted by SnakeEyes
Another average-looking Tony Scott films that I haven't bothered seeing: The Fan. Got a chance to look at it on television. It starred two of my favorite actors in Robert De Niro and Wesley Snipes. Decent film. Wasn't a bad way to spend two hours mostly thanks to those two.

marwash22
Man on Fire
John Q
Training Day
Malcolm X
Devil in a Blue Dress

there are a few i haven't seen.

Rogue Jedi
Glory
Virtuosity
Training Day
Book of Eli
John Q

The Nuul
Philadelphia
American Gangster
Man on Fire
Training Day
Eli

No order.

Hatchet
Philadelphia
American Gangster
Man on Fire
Training Day
He Got Game

Quiero Mota
Glory
Malcom X
Training Day
Crimson Tide
The Pelican Brief

Mr Parker
Denzel Washington remains one of our finest actors to this day. He has his peaks and valleys but for the most part he is always on his game. Instead of asking you what you feel his best film is, I decided to ask you to list his top 5. Remember this is your opinion. If you don't mind list your reasons. How doies Washington compare to other great actors and actresses of this generation and of all time? This should be interesting.

Denzel Washington's Filmography

Havent seen very many of his films,about 10 to 15 of them I would say, he's not one of those actors who just because his name is in a movie i will go see it like I do with other actors but here is my top five.

Glory is easily by far my favorite movie of his.
the rest are in no particular order
Malcom X
Remember The Titans
The Pelican Brief.
Crimson Tide

jinXed by JaNx
Originally posted by MildPossession

didn't he direct Days of Thunder too laughing out loud rolling on floor laughing

Quiero Mota
With the exception of Training Day, he basically plays the same character in all his films.

Darth Martin
I also liked John Q.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.