Kyle Katarn vs Obi-wan Kenobi

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

HellfireTerran
Kyle Katarn (Post Yuuzhan Vong) vs Obi-wan (RotS)

Things to remember:

Kyle Katarn:
-Was trained(Or trained himself?) to use some dark side techniques including Force Lightning and Force grip
-A battlemaster during the New Jedi order
-A Fighter class Jedi
-Jedi council member of the new order
-Used the Djem So (Way of the Krayt Dragon) form in combat

Obi-wan:
-Previous Jedi council member
-Fighter class
-A brilliant fighter with both luck and skill
-Primarily used Soresu (Form III) lightsaber form
-Applied Shii-Cho and Ataru combat styles into his own style at times.

Edit:
Place of Combat: Geonosis coliseum
Rules:None, Everything goes.

Lord Lucien
I can't claim to know much about Post-NJO Katarn but apparently the guy's good. He wins the Force contest without me having to know anything about him.

Sabers though... Iunno. Soresu prodigy, man.

Advent
Edit: Kyle Katarn eats Obi-Wan for breakfast.

HellfireTerran
Originally posted by Advent
Edit: Kyle Katarn eats Obi-Wan for breakfast.

Very true. big grin

Nephthys
Edit: Kyle Katarn eats Obi-Wan

Lol.

Darth_Glentract
Kyle wins, but I dont think by much.

truejedi
i'm not sure Post NJO Katarn is Katarn at his peak... Open for thought on the matter tho.

DarthDaniel1001
Obi-Wan wins. At least in the saber contest. He fails miserably in the force contest.

mattatom
Originally posted by DarthDaniel1001
Obi-Wan wins. At least in the saber contest. He fails miserably in the force contest. And there are no rules so Katarn just demolishes Kenobi with the force from afar.

truejedi
Kenobi wins in sabers, katarn wins an all-out because of the force...

which makes me wonder... (opening new thread)

Advent
Do you mind explaining how Kenobi could win in a duel of sabers?

He's competing against a master of multiple forms and ancient lightsaber techniques, who has demonstrated a far greater natural affinity to the blade (with almost forty years to hone those skills). Kyle is also the battlemaster of the entire New Jedi Order, his dedication would not be to his Force powers, but to the blade. Kyle is equally as, if not more so, cunning than Obi-Wan, too. So, what does Kenobi have in his favour?

Lord Lucien
Do you mind explaining how Kenobi could win in a duel of sabers?

He's competing against a master of multiple forms and ancient lightsaber techniques, who has demonstrated a far greater natural affinity to the blade (with almost forty years to hone those skills). Kyle is also the battlemaster of the entire New Jedi Order, his dedication would not be to his Force powers, but to the blade. Kyle is equally as, if not more so, cunning than Obi-Wan, too. So, what does Kenobi have in his favour? The status of prodigal son of defensive lightsaber combat?

truejedi
was Kenobi not "the master" of soresu? just double-checking.

Cause last i checked, he was.

Darth Subjekt
Does that guarantee a win? Don't think so.

Advent
I didn't ask you whether or not Kenobi was "the" master of Soresu (I hope you realize that even if he was "the" master, he would still be "a master", anyways), True Jedi. I asked you to prove up on the assertion that Kenobi could defeat the battle master of the New Jedi Order, who's just as experienced and quick thinking as Obi-Wan is, as well as more innately skilled with a broader knowledge of and focus on saber combat.

But, here's another question: what does that even mean being "the" master of Soresu? He wasn't a lightsaber instructor. He didn't create Soresu. There's no proof that he was even close to the best Soresu practitioner in history, or even in his own era. Being "the" master of Soresu doesn't mean you could beat "the" master of the fast, medium, and strong styles of the New Jedi Order. As far as I can ascertain, all it means is what it says: you've mastered Soresu. Congratulations! Besides, I recall Mace Windu being the only person who stated such a thing in a private, philosophical pep-talk between the two.

I could throw some spin on that last sentence, too. Mace considered Obi-Wan as "the" master of Soresu, not because he was the best Soresu duelist, but because he epitomized Soresu's core belief: to defend. Notice how Mace Windu says "be who you are and Grievous will never defeat you". Who is Obi-Wan? He is a Jedi. Mace was saying be a Jedi, upholding the virtues of the light side, only rising to fight to defend (key phrase) against injustice done and evil cannot overcome you. That is what the Jedi belief is. They don't seek battle, nor to kill. That's why Mace Windu asks Obi-Wan, "I am called a great swordsman because I invented a lethal style; but who is greater: the creator of the killing form or the master of ?".

Obviously, Mace Windu would ROFLstomp Obi-Wan, but Windu implies that he's the lesser of the two because of the difference in their form's philosophies. The entire reason for Obi-Wan switching to Soresu was because he wanted to defend his fellow Jedi from death; that's why he may be considered "the" master of Soresu because his intentions were completely in line with Soresu's philosophy, as well as the Jedi Order's.

That's wunderbar, but no more meaningful to what I was asking than a ham sandwich. Try putting that into the context of this thread, or a particular point about a saber duel between these two.

Dr McBeefington
I thought there was some quote claiming that Obiwan was the greatest Soresu practitioner.

Lord Lucien
That's wunderbar, but no more meaningful to what I was asking than a ham sandwich. Try putting that into the context of this thread, or a particular point about a saber duel between these two. Pfff that takes effort.

Darth Subjekt
Yea, I mean come on, who has time for that?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.