Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising - (the c.o.d.: modern warfare 2 killer?)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

FistOfThe North
Came out yesterday, i aquired it. It combines the tactical and the strategic almost BF2 style. Squads commander and individual gameplay is very emphasized.

This games a big deal. it's a sim and not arcadey like cod:mw2 is. The producer says that the game's as close to real time war as a you can get as a combat soldier, in video games, ever.

- Takes place on a real japanese island. It's free roaming, not liniear like cod:mw2

- In real time, crossing the island takes 9 hours on foot, 4 hours in a jeep and 20 minutes in a helicopter.

- According to Game Informer, there are over 70 weapons in game, all supported by a realistic ballistics system.

- The balance of the weapons is not artificially created by the game developers, but was created by their real life designers. Learning the best usage of each of these weapons will be a significant part of the challenge of the game.

- There are 50 different land, air and sea vehicles including helicopters, tanks, boats and APCs

- The game has a draw distance of 35 kilometers. Fire, smoke and dust are simulated based on effects of each weapon. A 2,000 pound bomb will throw up dust which will make it difficult to see, and fires created will burn for some time when set.

- The game features both nightvision and thermal imaging effects, real-time weather, lighting and shadow effects, 5.1 and 7.1 surround sound support.

- Other effects include realistic ballistics and limb dismemberment. Weapon attachments, a 'medic' system, and swimming are also featured

- And the grahpics are great. The mountains with draw distance utilized are photorealisctic.

FistOfThe North
oops. forgot this..

wikipedia.com

ArtificialGlory
Sounds a hell of a lot more interesting than Bored of Duty. Gonna have to try this out.

Juk3n
Nothing close to being a CoD killer, it's a totally different type of war game, Cod is an arcade style shooter - a semi run and gunner, OFDR is especially NOT. The most appealing thing about this game is the Co-op Campaign mode, but what detracts me from the experience is the distanced killing, i mean yeah it's realistic. But CQC will always be more fun.

jaden101
Now this sounds like the type of game were sniping can be properly utilised. The problem with the CoD games is that once you knew where all the best sniping spots were it was a bit pointless even doing it because everyone else knew where they were too.

Ms.Marvel
how is this a CoD killer? its ghost recon the old ones not advanced warfare. but yeah thats basically all it is. ghost recon #1 with its two expansions. gr obviously didn't kill the original cod which sucked so why would this kill the new series which is awesome?

that aside the game looks great. not very realistic but it looks good. ill toss it in my gamefly queue.

Wolverine2179
So seeing that i hated and dreaded arma 2 for its incredibly steep learning curve and "unrealistic gameplay", should i get this game seeing that modern warfare 2 has been delayed for the PC?

Ms.Marvel
did you like ghost recon?

Wolverine2179
No...

Ms.Marvel
aw. sad everyone likes ghost recon! mad

Wolverine2179
Thats cuz i never played it.

But seriously this delay for MW2 is pissing me off considering nobody from the official company actually confirmed nor denied it.

I feel us pc gamers are getting the short end of the stick.

Smasandian
I'll get it later after playing Uncharted 2, Dragon Age and Left 4 Dead.

After reading reviews, it's never going to be a CoD killer because sim shooters don't sell extremely well. They sell to the point where its profitable but nothing like CoD or Halo.

What I think Operation Flashpoint 2 has for it is that its a sim open ended game and it's difficult but it has a not frustrating checkpoint system. A game like Arma 2, which is the most realistic shooter out there won't have that.

Also, no crazy bugs like Arma 2.

BackFire
The original was loaded with bugs and game flaws. I'm wary of the sequel.

ArtificialGlory
Originally posted by Wolverine2179
I feel us pc gamers are getting the short end of the stick.

I got used to that a long time ago.

Smasandian
Originally posted by BackFire
The original was loaded with bugs and game flaws. I'm wary of the sequel.

Me too.

The only review I read said that they had no problems with it. But they wrote it as "we didn't encounter problems when we played"

Meaning, there probably is but they didnt see any.

I'm wary too. Open ending shooters always have crazy ass bugs, except for Far Cry 2, but that had other problems.

Ushgarak
I have some very fond memories of the original Operation Flashpoint, but for various reasons the Arma games since just didn't do it for me; everything just seemed 'off'.

Anyway, although I hope the game is good, I think it'll be a long way down my list. I really only buy games that I have a very good feeling for these days, else what with the pace of life and all they just end up on my shelf doing nothing.

Smasandian
Like Far Cry 2.

I'm going to wait until I have 2 weeks or so of no games.

KingD19
The game is awesome, totally realistic, and really gets you into it......BUT IT'S SO F*CKING HARD!!!!!!

FistOfThe North
It is mad hard. jeez...

kind of a buzz kill but the games got crazy potential.

it's defintaly not a game you pick up and play for a few minutes. you really have to put some thought into it before you make any move. you have to look at maps, positions, enemy positions, utilize binoculars, give the right orders, quiet flank and what not, etc.. i mean i love it but gets a little rediculous sometimes especially after putting in all the work only to have some of your men get blown away, hence jeapordizing the mission.

yesterday i was in an infatry firefight that lasted almost 20 min.

online's where it's at though.

KingD19
I just did mission 07-08(Can't remember which one) WHere you rescue the POW's, that mission only has 1-2 checkpoints. I made it through to the end of the level, none of my guys or the POW's were injured, then the rescue chopper got blown away by a single reinforcement guy with a SAM. I had to start all the way back when I saved them.

You're right though, you can't rush into anything.

jinXed by JaNx
It's more like Ghost Recon and almost nothing like Call of Duty. So far, i think i prefer Ghost Recon over OF

FistOfThe North
They're still modern war FPS nonetheless. it's just of's smarter, way more mature, and more engaging than codmw2 will be both in single and multiplayer, but that's just me.

i've always prefered realism over flash. like i've always said that bf2 is the best modern warfare game of any type to ever come out.

i dunno. cod always made me feel restricted. single player-wise. and online there isn't much variety. just find, chase, and shoot basically. maybe capture a flag or a base. but it's just that at it's core.

but to each his own.

Raijin
Originally posted by FistOfThe North
and online there isn't much variety. just find, chase, and shoot basically. maybe capture a flag or a base. but it's just that at it's core.
That applies to just about every online FPS game. I doubt this game is much different.

FistOfThe North
Originally posted by Raijin
That applies to just about every online FPS game. I doubt this game is much different.

Not with OP:dr. Your dead with out a well though-out strategic plan no matter how good your aim is.

Ms.Marvel
so much for this shit being being the mw 2 killer lol.

anyway. i borrowed this from a friend yesterday and played it for a couple hours on the pc. i dont like it too much honestly. the controls are hopelessly counter-intuitive. theres just too much shit that you gotta do at one time for it be an accurate portrayal of a fire fight.

aside from that its just stale. for war-simms players id recommend arma if you wanna play games like this. arma does it better.

Admiral Akbar
Originally posted by Ms.Marvel
so much for this shit being being the mw 2 killer lol.

anyway. i borrowed this from a friend yesterday and played it for a couple hours on the pc. i dont like it too much honestly. the controls are hopelessly counter-intuitive. theres just too much shit that you gotta do at one time for it be an accurate portrayal of a fire fight.

aside from that its just stale. for war-simms players id recommend arma if you wanna play games like this. arma does it better.

Tried both, both are poor games with arma being the better of the two. For me however arma is unplayable. I have to revert back to nvidia drivers from several months ago in order to avoid having choppy graphics and bad performance and even with it the performance is still poor. Online is great, except that the lag is unbearable and game breaking.

Ms.Marvel
that is true the game is very buggy. i meant from a gameplay pov though.

i also heard that a lot of patches were released to fix arma. dunno how that turned out.

Admiral Akbar
Originally posted by Ms.Marvel
that is true the game is very buggy. i meant from a gameplay pov though.

i also heard that a lot of patches were released to fix arma. dunno how that turned out.

Patches did come out, the game still runs like shit though. lol

SpadeKing
does the A.I. still do terrible? Kind of impossible to get past the 3rd battle without a team considering the A.I. will just get killed as soon as the enemy shows up

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.